PDA

View Full Version : Double for Dunne

tricky_colour
13/02/2005, 5:01 PM
Two own goals unfortunately!!
Apparently he had a good game apart from that.
It must be some sort of record though.
A slower player probably would not have even made contact!

Slash/ED
13/02/2005, 5:03 PM
Apart from the own goal (The first wasn't an own goal really) he was the best player on the park imo.

The worst would have to be that Sunderland match the year they went down. 3 OGs, one from Wright and two from Proctor, who was a striker :eek:

eirebhoy
13/02/2005, 5:21 PM
Two own goals unfortunately!!
It was only one og. He and Wright-Phillips were City's best players. Every centre half scores og's now and again.

tricky_colour
13/02/2005, 5:47 PM
Well I though it was just one from radio commentary but
Channel 5 said it was two.
The fuzziness of my channel 5 reception and the angle means
I can't tell either way but I believe Dunne deflected Rooneys shot so
I guess thats a matter of opinion as to who scored.
I think offically it is only one own goal though.

Closed Account 2
13/02/2005, 6:59 PM
He looked good in the 1st half, frustrated Fatboy who then kicked him and got a yellow. But he was poor in the second IMO, looked jaded, and could have had a pen against him near the end - the tackle looked late, but it was on Ronaldo-the-lesser so its hard to know how much of it was a bad tackle or how much was play acting. Trezuguet and Henry (both of whom played for France vs Sweden in midweek) are significantly more of a goal scoring threat than Fatboy and Scholes or whoever else it was playing behind him so Dunne will need to improve his concentration/fitness/stamina (which ever was responsible for his lapses) if he starts the match vs France at LR.

Condex
13/02/2005, 7:01 PM
He played well, pity about the own goal..

beautifulrock
13/02/2005, 9:15 PM
Yes he did play very well until he deflected rooneys shot for the first goal, it would have gone in anyway i would have said. He had rooney well shackled until then. Steve Macman missed a sitter before half time. The second goal was a bad mi**** that happens to the best. His confidence went as soon as that happened and he was run ragged from there on. He will be ok next game, looking fitter than ever.

tricky_colour
13/02/2005, 10:04 PM
I have just realised I should have entitled this thread
"Dunne the Double".

eirebhoy
13/02/2005, 11:25 PM
From BBC:
For 68 minutes he was the best player on the pitch but then he lost Rooney for the first goal and sliced past James for the second.

Stuttgart88
14/02/2005, 7:18 AM
I'll join Eirebhoy in defending Dunne. He was looking really good up until 68 mins. Costly lapses in concentration remain a doubt though, but he's definitely taken his game up a level in the last few months.

For the second goal, did he get a call from James? If he'd got a big call he should have just left it. If there was no call from James it'd explain why he felt he had to lunge for the cross.

NeilMcD
14/02/2005, 9:47 AM
who is fatbody, where u playing or something, Why not call a player by his real name rather than pathetic little digs at players. I see that across all the posts here and its a bit childish really

Stuttgart88
14/02/2005, 9:52 AM
The consensus in the print media is that Dunne was having a fine game. Here's just one example, from the Telegraph:

City were largely on top, Dunne imperiously marshalling Rooney, who even kicked the Irishman in frustration at being dispossessed again. But the class and character in United's ranks emerged after the break, beginning in the 67th-minute when Paul Scholes slipped the ball to Keane, who guided Neville into space with a fine pass behind the slow-reacting Musampa. Rooney raced to the near post to meet Neville's cross, which diverted in off the unfortunate Dunne.

United were now in the mood, and they added a second when another Rooney effort was accidentally turned in by Dunne. "It was cruel on Richard, who was the best player on the pitch," said Keegan.

tetsujin1979
14/02/2005, 9:53 AM
Got man of the match on city's website, almost double the votes of SWP. The home fans were chanting his name even after the second goal. I honestly thought he was in the running for MOTM from Sky before the first goal, as he was winning headers and tackles all through the game. I'd blame Thatcher more for the first goal anyway, he left acres of space in the left full position for Neville to move into and cross.

ken foree
14/02/2005, 1:10 PM
- the tackle looked late, but it was on Ronaldo-the-lesser so its hard to know how much of it was a bad tackle or how much was play acting.

i remember that; it looked as if he actually fouled him past the endline so that would have to be no peno... i remember thinking 'penalty' coz it was heavy and late but it's a funny case where i guess no peno could be given!

Bowsy
14/02/2005, 1:28 PM
First goal was down to Musampa ball watching and leaving Neville in an acre of space. Second was just one of those unfortunate mistakes. The Communication from James was less than exemplary by the look of it.
Was a little concerned that he lost his head in parts after that with the rash tackle on Ronaldo in the box and charging up field and losing it but overall i thought he had a good game. He had Rooney in his pocket most of the game.

Closed Account 2
14/02/2005, 2:50 PM
who is fatbody, where u playing or something, Why not call a player by his real name rather than pathetic little digs at players. I see that across all the posts here and its a bit childish really

I dont know who fatbody is but Fatboy is Wayne Rooney. Here's the deal Neil, I'll add you to my ignore list, you add me to yours. I wont have to read any posts about how you find post after post on the forum childish, you wont have to read my hurtful critiques at your heros from Old Trafford and then there will be no more problems.

NeilMcD
14/02/2005, 2:52 PM
Apoligies for the superflous "d". I dont support Man utd. so i dont give a **** about any of the Man Utd players except of the Irish ones. I just think it is childish when people on the forum throw in little digs against players esp when there is no logic to back it up. It weakens any argument that you are making that you have to have little digs against a very good player which Rooney is. Also I suppose Fatboy could also be used against Richard Dunnes too.

livehead1
14/02/2005, 10:25 PM
ffs we all knew who he meant by fatboy. this forum is for discussing football matters therefore as long as we know who he is on about then it dont matter wat he calls him. i cud describe a place in n.ireland as derry or londonderry. every1 wud know wat i was on about but i known which 1 wud offend more....so anyways i digress. how about stop chatting Sh*t and use the post feature for wat its meant 2 be used for...

NeilMcD
16/02/2005, 1:22 PM
Whats wrong with calling Wayne Rooney Wayne Rooney and calling Richard Dunne Richard Dunne, it makes more sense really than stupid childish nicknames which are only used to rile up fans of whaterver team that the player plays for.

Eire06
16/02/2005, 4:16 PM
Getting back to the subject of the Thread

I thought Dunne was top class, if it wasn't for the OG he was well on his way to Man of the match...

Best performance I've seen out of him in a good while hopefully he keeps it up and doesn't get disheartned by the OG

eirebhoy
16/02/2005, 4:52 PM
Best performance I've seen out of him in a good while hopefully he keeps it up and doesn't get disheartned by the OG
He has put in better performances than that a good few times times season, most recently against Chelsea a week ago.