PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk complete McCarthy swoop

A face
11/02/2005, 11:49 PM
Dundalk complete McCarthy swoop

Dundalk manager Jim Gannon has pulled off a transfer coup with the acquisition of highly-rated frontman Ger McCarthy from eircom League champions Shelbourne.

McCarthy found his opportunities painfully limited at Tolka Park last season, with the league’s top marksman Jason Byrne, Glen Fitzpatrick, Alan Moore and sometimes Gerard Rowe ahead of him in the pecking order.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/first/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=15967)

drummerboy
14/02/2005, 3:46 PM
Best signing by First Division club so far

eamoss
14/02/2005, 4:49 PM
I'v heard that he is not a good player, is he? :confused:

Clones Road Cas
15/02/2005, 2:24 PM
Not the best signing of the first division, you'd wanna take a look at DCFC for that, but hes very good.

Not being smart this time but i hope to god you aint paying a huge wage bill again. Its caused problems for so many clubs before in this division.

crc

De Town
15/02/2005, 2:25 PM
Great signing for a div1 club and would have been an ok signing for the likes of Bray, Harps, UCD.

pineapple stu
15/02/2005, 2:29 PM
Best signing by First Division club so far
Wasn't the same thing being said about Geoghegan last year?!

tallaghtfornia
15/02/2005, 2:35 PM

yes it was stu and where is he now???

he is playing for a team in the aul league, they are called valley park united from finglas, dublin

Clones Road Cas
15/02/2005, 2:40 PM
yes it was stu and where is he now???

he is playing for a team in the aul league, they are called valley park united from finglas, dublin

Thats what you call social climbing ;)

drummerboy
15/02/2005, 3:26 PM

McCarthy is only 25, Geoghan was 35. If Ger applies himself he will score bagful of goals.

tallaghtfornia
15/02/2005, 3:43 PM
ok he is 25 and stephen "rob the fones" geoghan was 35 but mccarthy has been round for 5 or 6 years, how long does his application take to kick in??

drummerboy
15/02/2005, 3:54 PM
McCarthy had about 3 good seasons at St Pats, where he did well enough to convince Pat Fenlon to buy him for Shels. While he didn't set the world alight at Shels, he did contribute to their success, both in the league and Europe. In fairness he had some tough competition for the front two spots.

tallaghtfornia
15/02/2005, 4:05 PM
McCarthy had about 3 good seasons at St Pats, where he did well enough to convince Pat Fenlon to buy him for Shels. While he didn't set the world alight at Shels, he did contribute to their success, both in the league and Europe. In fairness he had some tough competition for the front two spots.

might be wrong on this but did fenlon not pick him up on a free,i would argue that he played only a bit part roll for shels, mostly comin on as sub and i think he will score goals in div1 but does it not show that teams in the prem do not rate him very highly if they dont try sign him and let dundalk nab him.
i would have signed him for srfc for a season as we are short up front and would have took a chance on t. morgan too as we are lackin in resources there with the recent departures of robinson and o brien

drummerboy
15/02/2005, 4:08 PM
I think McCarthy was actually thinking of jacking in the EL. He was an a sabattical from the EBS, I think. Don't think he is depending on his earnings from football to get by.

Clones Road Cas
15/02/2005, 4:37 PM
I think McCarthy was actually thinking of jacking in the EL. He was an a sabattical from the EBS, I think. Don't think he is depending on his earnings from football to get by.

He wouldnt want to be ;)

eamoss
15/02/2005, 6:24 PM
McCarthy is on about €350 on a 1 year deal while good old robbing Geoghegan was on €600 on a 2 year deal. Gannon has but players on all sorts of bonuses this season (E.g Forward bonuse for goal, Wingers bonuse for assists, Defenders bonuse for clean sheets) so I hope this season the players will want to play for the club.

Clones Road Cas
15/02/2005, 10:52 PM
Thats a better system and a very good price for Mac

Fair play to tha boy connolly

Hes doing something right