PDA

View Full Version : Media Coverage of Soccer

Stuttgart88
11/02/2005, 9:18 AM
There have been a couple of threads in the Ireland section of the board with people righly raging about the biased, subjective analysis of Irish football. The Irish Indo and SKY (Paul Dempsey and Niall Quinn in particular) are giving the Brits a run for their money in trying to inflate public opinion of the national team. Sadly, for every John Motson & Richard Keys the Brits have we have our own misguided twits who'll convince the majority who (understandably) don't know the game as well as many on this board.

One of my main bug-bears of recent weeks has been the totally OTT adulation applied to Syteven Gerrard, and espectially THAT match against Olympiakos where he ran around like a crazed nutcase, kicking everything in sight, avoiding 2 straight red cards before an absolute gem of a shot that practically gave Andy Gray a hard-on in the commentary box.

But, thankfully, I'm not alone. There was great article on football365 that I posted here, saying how the Arsenal v MUFC game left a really sour taste in his mouth. And this article on Steven Gerrard in today's Guardian has restored some of my faith:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1409835,00.html

ken foree
11/02/2005, 12:55 PM
"Constantly threatening to leave - 'I want to win things with this club, but I haven't got time on my side' - or witlessly screaming 'I'm the man' at his own fans (while celebrating a goal against ... Portsmouth) suggest it's time for everyone to return to earth."