PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

geysir
23/03/2017, 10:29 AM
If Wales lose, their qual chances nose dive. All the pressure is on Wales to win and Ledley is poncing around some hospital with flowers?

Rte reported that James didn't attend the funeral ceremony this morning, he returned from Derry last night and trained with the squad (including the Everton duo) this morning.

Stuttgart88
23/03/2017, 10:41 AM
Bale and Ramsey are a class apart. Ramsey has been brutal for Arsenal of late but I think Wales might be a welcome release for him. Internationals often offer an escape from a difficult club environment. His nonchalant defending cost Arsenal two goals from corners at WBA. Despite Geysir's view I can see Cymro's point from a few months ago: Bale might be the guy whose goals win games but when the team clicks it's largely down to Ramsey. That's how I understood his point anyway.

KrisLetang
23/03/2017, 10:44 AM
What's the weather supposed to be like? That seems to be the biggest concern on the Wales board for some reason. What, it doesn't rain there?

geysir
23/03/2017, 10:47 AM
Ramsey has been brutal for Arsenal of late but I think Wales might be a welcome release for him. Internationals often offer an escape from a difficult club environment. His nonchalant defending cost Arsenal two goals from corners at WBA. Despite Geysir's view I can see Cymro's point from a few months ago: Bale might be the guy whose goals win games but when the team clicks it's largely down to Ramsey. That's how I understood his point anyway.There is no doubt about Ramsey and Wales but the original point was me poking fun at the bizarre opinion expressed about an injured Bale not being missed that much because Ramsay would be missed more.

Stuttgart88
23/03/2017, 12:15 PM
Ah, ok.

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/03/2017, 12:20 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0323/861997-oneill-optimistic-mccarthy/

Do I detect a pop at Arter somewhere in here or am I reading too much into it?

DeLorean
23/03/2017, 12:23 PM
There is no doubt about Ramsey and Wales but the original point was me poking fun at the bizarre opinion expressed about an injured Bale not being missed that much because Ramsay would be missed more.

I don't think that was the initial point actually. I think the initial point was that obviously Bale would be missed really heavily, but if they had to do without one of the two it would be better if it was him than Ramsey. Still bizarre though if you ask me.

tetsujin1979
23/03/2017, 12:42 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0323/861997-oneill-optimistic-mccarthy/

Do I detect a pop at Arter somewhere in here or am I reading too much into it?
Yes you are.

paul_oshea
23/03/2017, 12:59 PM
Why would they get anxious? 0-0 would be a good result for them - they don't have to win.

Wales are saying all the opposite but they will 100% be going for 3 points. They've qualified for the semi-finals, and will want to top the group. To realistically do that they need to beat us tomorrow.

OwlsFan
23/03/2017, 1:39 PM
Just back from my pre-match lunch with my old and decrepit (apart from me) friends and to my amazement 7 predict a draw, 1 a win (me) and 1 a defeat (but he always thinks we'll lose). So out of 9, only only thinks we'll win. Looking at the odds from the bookies we are slight favourites and that's how it should be.

KrisLetang
23/03/2017, 1:59 PM
What did you have to eat? I'm superstitious and always eat the same thing every morning of an Ireland Match. Left over Crackbird.

SkStu
23/03/2017, 2:23 PM
theres never any crackbird left over...

BonnieShels
23/03/2017, 2:55 PM
No boojum left either.

KrisLetang
23/03/2017, 4:31 PM
Don't think I've ever seen Ireland talked about on popular website SB Nation. You are really moving up in the world.
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2017/3/23/15035146/republic-of-ireland-vs-wales-2018-world-cup-qualifying-uefa

tetsujin1979
23/03/2017, 4:40 PM
Don't think I've ever seen Ireland talked about on popular website SB Nation. You are really moving up in the world.
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2017/3/23/15035146/republic-of-ireland-vs-wales-2018-world-cup-qualifying-uefa

I hadn't either, until I learned how to use google: https://www.google.ie/search?q=republic+of+ireland+site:sbnation.com

KrisLetang
23/03/2017, 4:50 PM
Yeah....but this is more in depth, editorially. Not just the score was 0-0.

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/03/2017, 5:16 PM
Yes you are.

It's the second time he's made comments that could be interpreted that way though. See Daryl Murphy's thread.

OwlsFan
23/03/2017, 5:30 PM
What did you have to eat? I'm superstitious and always eat the same thing every morning of an Ireland Match. Left over Crackbird.

The usual nosh in O'Neills of Suffolk Street. The Agenda was:

1. Team for tomorrow - predicted actual + wished for.

2. Report from Stents Sub-Committee (yes we are of an age)

3. Résumé of Intellectual Property developments by current Chairman (opportunity to empty the bladder)

4. Irl v Switzerland 1985 - never-ending reminisce by the Secretary

5. Ryan McBride commemoration

6. List of upcoming strike-free days in any of the 3 CIE companies - resident transport civil servant to comment

7. Skype chat with absent member in El Salvador (where he is being held hostage by a Maoist vegetarian/eco-friendly splinter terrorist group)

8. Member's trip to Porto this weekend - his wife's serious judgment lapse

9. Presentation by mercifully absent Leeside Lang*r on CCFC's astonishing start to LOI season and why Seánie Maguire should get the Ballon d'Or NOW

10. Doom-laden report from current Chairman on Owls' chances of EPL glory

11. Report by Chairman-designate on contents of his man-bag

12. Presentation of giant edible rosette to Oz for winning the Clean-A-Plate competition in O'Neill's for the 34th year running

13. Stuff that makes us hate Wales (Merthyr Tydfil, Neil Kinnock, Prince of Wales, a principality not a country, Shakin Stevens, Tom Jones, Dylan Thomas, etc)

13. AOB

geysir
23/03/2017, 8:10 PM
I don't think that was the initial point actually. I think the initial point was that obviously Bale would be missed really heavily, but if they had to do without one of the two it would be better if it was him than Ramsey. Still bizarre though if you ask me.
Seeing as it was only Bale injured at the time,, the mere mention of --- that's not a good situation, but it would be worse if Ramsay was out,
it's the classic definition of the fallacy of downward counterfactual thinking (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfactual_thinking#Upward_and_Downward) traditionally irish people do that type of thinking very well.
And when the injured player in question was Bale, bizarre is a polite adjective to describe what Walesman was quoted as saying

"He said Bale is obviously massive, but its actually Ramsey that holds it all together and without him they look very poor. They dont hold possession well or play a good passing game. He said he'd be more worried with Ramsey missing than bale missing"

nigel-harps1954
23/03/2017, 8:32 PM
'James McCarthy set to put country before club again'

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/751547/james-mccarthy-looks-set-to-put-country-before-club-again-by-making-himself-available-for-huge-wales-clash/

DeLorean
23/03/2017, 10:01 PM
Seeing as it was only Bale injured at the time,, the mere mention of --- that's not a good situation, but it would be worse if Ramsay was out,
it's the classic definition of the fallacy of downward counterfactual thinking (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfactual_thinking#Upward_and_Downward) traditionally irish people do that type of thinking very well.
And when the injured player in question was Bale, bizarre is a polite adjective to describe what Walesman was quoted as saying

"He said Bale is obviously massive, but its actually Ramsey that holds it all together and without him they look very poor. They dont hold possession well or play a good passing game. He said he'd be more worried with Ramsey missing than bale missing"

Oh fair enough, we read it the same way so. We just differed (I think) with regards why we found it so bizarre. You think it's bizarre because Bale was still going to be a huge miss even if they had Ramsey available. I found it bizarre because I think Ramsey is a bizillion miles behind Bale when it comes to who the more important player is.

Bottle of Tonic
23/03/2017, 10:59 PM
Mon Ireland

KrisLetang
23/03/2017, 11:01 PM
So what is the starting lineup going to be? I lost track with all the injuries.

TrapAPony
23/03/2017, 11:52 PM
So what is the starting lineup going to be? I lost track with all the injuries.

Randolph

Coleman O'Shea Keogh Ward

McGeady Whelan Hendrick McCarthy McClean

Walters

or

Randolph

Coleman O'Shea Keogh Ward

Walters Whelan Hendrick McCarthy McClean

Long

KrisLetang
24/03/2017, 12:02 AM
Thanks. Do we prefer Walters or Long?

TrapAPony
24/03/2017, 1:42 AM
Thanks. Do we prefer Walters or Long?

Walters for me with Long to come on when the Welsh defence is tired. I just think that putting Walters on the right side of midfield makes him completely ineffective, whereas a natural winger like McGeady would be far more suited to that role. It also helps that McGeady is in great form at the moment. Walters has proven that he does well as the centre forward and Long has proven that he does well from the bench eg. Germany & Poland.

John83
24/03/2017, 5:23 AM
Are O'Shea and Keogh still the default centre halves?

gastric
24/03/2017, 6:45 AM
So looking forward to this game, the timing means I can watch it live as it is on here at a social hour. Long for me as he is more versatile and quicker than Walters. If we draw or win, what a result for an injury hit team. For me, us to win by 2 to 1. Come on YBIG!

paul_oshea
24/03/2017, 8:01 AM

I liked that, and referenced something i used to mention during the last managers time, that little bit of luck:

"Ireland's strong opening to qualification has come about thanks to the protean qualities of organisation, hard work, and just a little bit of luck." Admittedly I feel we have relied less on luck this time around compared to the previous managers reign.

paul_oshea
24/03/2017, 8:04 AM
The usual nosh in O'Neills of Suffolk Street. The Agenda was:

1. Team for tomorrow - predicted actual + wished for.

2. Report from Stents Sub-Committee (yes we are of an age)

3. Résumé of Intellectual Property developments by current Chairman (opportunity to empty the bladder)

4. Irl v Switzerland 1985 - never-ending reminisce by the Secretary

5. Ryan McBride commemoration

6. List of upcoming strike-free days in any of the 3 CIE companies - resident transport civil servant to comment

7. Skype chat with absent member in El Salvador (where he is being held hostage by a Maoist vegetarian/eco-friendly splinter terrorist group)

8. Member's trip to Porto this weekend - his wife's serious judgment lapse

9. Presentation by mercifully absent Leeside Lang*r on CCFC's astonishing start to LOI season and why Seánie Maguire should get the Ballon d'Or NOW

10. Doom-laden report from current Chairman on Owls' chances of EPL glory

11. Report by Chairman-designate on contents of his man-bag

12. Presentation of giant edible rosette to Oz for winning the Clean-A-Plate competition in O'Neill's for the 34th year running

13. Stuff that makes us hate Wales (Merthyr Tydfil, Neil Kinnock, Prince of Wales, a principality not a country, Shakin Stevens, Tom Jones, Dylan Thomas, etc)

13. AOB

Whats wrong with Dylan Thomas?

shakermaker1982
24/03/2017, 8:27 AM
If we can get LR/ the Aviva rocking early on I do fancy our chances - despite the injuries and suspension to Brady. Wales are on the ropes and we could KO them from the group. If the shoe was on the other foot they'd be clearly going for the jugular so am pleased to hear the kind of things coming out from the management and the players in last few days.

Bale is obviously a quality player but am hoping they deploy him primarily on the left because I'd back Coleman to look after him. I know he can play anywhere but we need to make sure if he does float and targets Ward then we double up.

Not often a top seed comes to a Dublin before the half way stage and already in trouble.... There must also be some kind of Euro 2016 hangover so there is a lot of pressure on them tonight. They did wilt under the expectation versus England last summer and were also lucky to beat our northern brothers. The Belgian result was a cracking victory but they aren't consistently brilliant and it's gonna be a PL style slugfest - I don't think we are gonna be technically out of our depth tonight. They have 2 players from Aston Villa playing for em!!

They have also coughed up leads so even if we do go behind we'll get chances because they aren't so strong defensively to shut a game out.

At least with MO'N it's hard to predict what he'll do. Walters on the right or up top? Hendricks a key man tonight. Good luck lads.

DannyInvincible
24/03/2017, 8:58 AM
In spite of the injuries, I'm still quietly confident we can get a result. Our starting eleven certainly won't be a weak one, even though we may lack a bit of strength in depth on account of circumstances, but I predict a tight game. We may even scrape through with a win. It'll be interesting to see how Wales handle the pressure they're under on account of being four points behind and badly needing to make up ground.

I can't wait for kick-off now. Had no luck getting my hands on a ticket so I shall be watching from Belfast this evening.

COYBIG!

OwlsFan
24/03/2017, 8:59 AM
Jaysus, even the Daily Telegraph has picked up on Giles saying that Bale is "not a great player". They don't realise that this is standard stuff over here. Hope it isn't used as an incentive for them.

BonnieShels
24/03/2017, 9:21 AM
If they need to use an out-of-context Giles quote in the Telegraph to get motivated then they're fooked.

Polster
24/03/2017, 9:29 AM
If they need to use an out-of-context Giles quote in the Telegraph to get motivated then they're fooked.

Aye, couldn't have been more complimentary about Bale in that piece, pretty much rubbished Ramsey and the rest of the team without Bale though :-)

Lionel Ritchie
24/03/2017, 9:40 AM
I think we're going to win.
There I've said it and cursed us. Injuries sminjuries. If that pair Clark and Duffy were available then the other pair Hue and Cry would be as well. "timebomb ...rush of blood ...reckless ...brainless ...clueless ...yadda yadda".

we'll be grand

backstothewall
24/03/2017, 9:48 AM
We have a lot of injuries but we have enough to win the game. If we can do that, we can more or less knock Wales out of the running, and end what has been a bloody awful week for the country on some sort of high.

tetsujin1979
24/03/2017, 10:15 AM
Just in case people are unaware, there's a minute's applause planned for the fifth minute for Ryan McBride: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/irish-fans-to-honour-the-late-ryan-mcbride-with-applause-during-fifth-minute-of-wales-clash-35556177.html

harry crumb
24/03/2017, 10:28 AM
Just in case people are unaware, there's a minute's applause planned for the fifth minute for Ryan McBride: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/irish-fans-to-honour-the-late-ryan-mcbride-with-applause-during-fifth-minute-of-wales-clash-35556177.html

What is wrong with a minutes silence before the game?

I kid you not, there are people suggesting City supporters do a rendition of The Town I Loved so Well at the Cross tomorrow.

It's too much.

KrisLetang
24/03/2017, 10:39 AM
I feel like the pressure is coming on for Bob Marley and the Walers the closer we get. A lot of their pundits saying a loss would be a disaster, etc.....

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0324/862212-welsh-view-john-hartson/

backstothewall
24/03/2017, 10:58 AM
What is wrong with a minutes silence before the game?

I kid you not, there are people suggesting City supporters do a rendition of The Town I Loved so Well at the Cross tomorrow.

It's too much.

I genuinely agree with the sentiment, but when was the last time we had a game without a minutes silence before it. It used to be used sparingly and was special as a result but It's as much a part of the preamble as the anthems now.

If people genuinely want to mark something what other options are there?

I'd much prefer we do away with marking the passing of every country treasurer and their dog and save it for weeks like this one

jbyrne
24/03/2017, 11:30 AM
I'd much prefer we do away with marking the passing of every country treasurer and their dog and save it for weeks like this one

I don't want to sound cold but I have to agree with this. Incidents like this weeks should be marked with a formal minute silence / applause but the passing of everyday members of the football family (as the FAI put it) could be more appropriately marked at half time, or just before the teams come out, over the PA and on the big screen with a minutes applause.

When Tony Grealish passed away just before the England friendly a few years ago the FA handled it perfectly with a montage on the big screen and some words over the PA.

BonnieShels
24/03/2017, 11:37 AM
Bang on Byrner

Kingdom
24/03/2017, 12:38 PM
Heading off now, sans ticket. I worry that Wales will control midfield. I think the likelihood is that we'll both score, and I suspect it'll be either us by the odd-goal in three or the 1-1 draw. Either I'd be happy with.

I'll be backing McGeady to score anytime, given his form, irrespective of whether he starts or not, he'll be around 16/1.

BonnieShels
24/03/2017, 1:41 PM
See you in Slatterys!

OwlsFan
24/03/2017, 2:05 PM
Our record against Wales appears to be p13 w5 d3 l5 f16 a13 Not much in it and on average 2 goals a game approx. Sounds a bit right for this one as well. Home advantage to pay off.

Closed Account
24/03/2017, 5:32 PM
Randolph; Coleman, Keogh, O'Shea, Ward; McClean, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Walters; Long.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tAXb7XUAAEwIP.png
As expected.

Ireland Subs:
Westwood (GK), C. Doyle (GK); Christie, Egan, Pearce; McGeady, Horgan, Hourihane, Meyler, Hayes, O'Dowda; K. Doyle.
Boyle and O'Kane miss out.

Wales Team: Hennessey (GK), Gunter, Taylor, Davies, Chester, Williams (C), Allen, Robson-Kanu, Ramsey, Bale, Ledley.

mark12345
24/03/2017, 5:50 PM
Randolph; Coleman, Keogh, O'Shea, Ward; McClean, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Walters; Long.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tAXb7XUAAEwIP.png
As expected.

Ireland Subs:
Westwood (GK), C. Doyle (GK); Christie, Egan, Pearce; McGeady, Horgan, Hourihane, Meyler, Hayes, O'Dowda; K. Doyle.
Boyle and O'Kane miss out.

Wales Team: Hennessey (GK), Gunter, Taylor, Davies, Chester, Williams (C), Allen, Robson-Kanu, Ramsey, Bale, Ledley.

Just looking at the team sheet posted. I will reserve judgement for Martin O'Neill but I'll give it to him with both barrels after the game if we don't get a result. And the brand name on both of those barrels will be 'McGeady' and 'Whelan". How, on God's green earth can he leave our most form player out of the starting team. Perhaps Martin has a grander plan. Let's hope so.

DannyInvincible
24/03/2017, 5:55 PM
McGeady should be starting.

TheOneWhoKnocks
24/03/2017, 6:02 PM
Don't know if Walters is up front with Long or out wide but neither really works.

With Whelan, question marks over McCarthy and Walters I fear a lack of incision and a stone age approach to tactics but hope I am wrong.

I think McGeady should be in there to restore a bit of balance.

We're home team. Should be more positive.