PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

geysir
22/03/2017, 9:01 AM
Thanks Danny, love these anecdotes, another one who got away. A bit of a mean git though!
8 euros a pint isn't cheap, that was a first class passage for his dad to the beyond

OwlsFan
22/03/2017, 9:23 AM
I didn't realise Charlotte Coleman was his wife. She was the one Andy Gray made lewd remarks about which contributed to his sacking by Sky. We owe her that much as least. His father probably encouraged him to play for Wales because he had a better chance of getting a game for them. I'd say he would have been a peripheral figure for us. As for the team, Walters will play out wide with Long up front on his own. McGeady will be on the bench. Whelan will start. Rest pretty much picks itself.

DeLorean
22/03/2017, 9:23 AM
8 euros a pint isn't cheap, that was a first class passage for his dad to the beyond

€8 a pint would be considered Happy Hour in Iceland, wouldn't it? :)

Fixer82
22/03/2017, 9:32 AM
You don't see McGeady playing no.10?

geysir
22/03/2017, 10:29 AM
€8 a pint would be considered Happy Hour in Iceland, wouldn't it? :)
There are no happy hours drinking in Reykjavik, just those few hours which are less sad.

Olé Olé
22/03/2017, 10:55 AM

I can't begin to come near predicting the result but I think that's one prediction I'm happy to make- McGeady will start.

Stuttgart88
22/03/2017, 11:14 AM
I think he will too.

Or maybe he'll be a sub.

Aaaggghhh!

backstothewall
22/03/2017, 11:50 AM
I can feel a red card coming on.

Either that or a hat-trick

DeLorean
22/03/2017, 12:15 PM
Do people think it's more likely we'll see two holding midfielders and Hendrick or one holding midfielder and Hendrick beside them? It's a tough one. Playing the latter allows us to start McGeady at 10, which also works if we have a midfield diamond but with Whelan at the base and Hendrick on the right I'm not sure who fits on the left. Playing the former means you have Whelan and (probably) Meyler at the base with McGeady or Walters on one wing, McClean on the other, Hendrick at 8 and a half and Long or Walters up front.

The more I think about it I'm predicting:
Randolph
Coleman O'Shea Keogh Ward
Meyler Whelan
Hendrick
McGeady McClean
Walters

I could definitely see the logic in that team, packing midfield as much as possible and holding Long in reserve. Walters is more effective as a central striker too and played well when moved there against Moldova. He brings others into play better than Long too from that position.

But... would we be playing into Wales' hands by not playing a central striker who can really run the channels and take their back three out of position? Danny Gabbidon believes Wales will revert to that formation in his preview here - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39279538

O'Neill seems to trust McCarthy and Hendrick as a midfield two (used against Italy/France/Georgia) but Whelan's lack of mobility throws up a bit of a dilemma, particularly in respect of the strengths of the opposition we face.

In Vienna, Whelan's presence saw O'Neill use both Arter and Hendrick at starters, and maintained the same shape when Meyler was introduced. If he sticks with the same sort of pattern, your team above should be spot on, certainly in terms of the midfield three. In the unlikely event that McCarthy is declared fit, it could change things considerably though.

I also think McGeady will start. We would have pretty much zero guile without him, Brady & Hoolahan.

DannyInvincible
22/03/2017, 12:17 PM
I can feel a red card coming on.

In light of the tragedies that have beset James' former club and city, I trust that Martin will have been keeping a close eye on James this week, both in and outside of training, in order to gauge his frame of mind. The pair are already close and Martin is perceptive to the psychology and morale of his players; he's a good man-manager. He won't put James out there on Friday night if he doesn't feel he'll be mentally able for what is expected of him.

For what it's worth, I think McClean will be well able for it - he's an immensely strong character - and will give more than his all come Friday. I see him giving a courageous and determined performance; not necessarily an angry one.

DannyInvincible
22/03/2017, 12:19 PM
I also think McGeady will start. We would have pretty much zero guile without him, Brady & Hoolahan.

I'd be stunned (and seriously disappointed) if McGeady doesn't start.

Any idea if McCarthy trained with the team today?

DeLorean
22/03/2017, 12:23 PM

This was the latest from about an hour ago as far as I know. - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0322/861697-mccarthy-remains-with-irish-squad/

James McCarthy remains with the Republic of Ireland squad as he battles to prove his fitness ahead of Friday's World Cup qualifier against Wales.

The Everton midfielder, who has been out of action since March 5 with a hamstring injury, warmed up with the rest of the squad at Abbotstown on Wednesday morning, but was later due to work with the physios.

Assistant manager Roy Keane admitted on Tuesday that McCarthy was unlikely to make the game if he did not train the following day, but Ireland have not yet given up on the player.

jbyrne
22/03/2017, 12:46 PM
I'd be stunned (and seriously disappointed) if McGeady doesn't start.

its being reported on RTE that he did take part today.
as did a few others (including long and coleman) who had sat out yesterdays session

DeLorean
22/03/2017, 1:01 PM
Yep- https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0322/861697-mccarthy-remains-with-irish-squad/

Olé Olé
22/03/2017, 1:33 PM
Yep- https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0322/861697-mccarthy-remains-with-irish-squad/

Absolutely delighted. My above team was on the basis McCarthy wouldn't play. Hope he does and it looks more positive

Himself and Hendrick at the base. Walters, McGeady, McClean and Long in front of them. That would be a really good side. I think also that having Walters and McClean on the flanks would mean they can tuck in or track back to assist the two midfielders. Big ask of them but few work or run harder.

I must go back over McGeady's last starts. Can't remember a forward line he'd have started in as strong as that for us.

paul_oshea
22/03/2017, 1:56 PM
Getting worried now about Bale exploiting the space(and pace) that Ward will leave out on his left for him to run into and bedazzling Ward.

I think a draw would be a great result at this stage, assuming Wales are in top form, with all the players missing regardless of whats being said. Wales showed they can perform at a top level with that win against Belgium if given a bit of space.

OwlsFan
22/03/2017, 2:11 PM

Randolph; Coleman, O'Shea, Keogh, Ward; Whelan, Hendrick, McCarthy (if fit - if not Meyler), McClean, Walters, Long.

McGeady didn't start in Vienna and I am not sure that a good latter half of the season for Preston will be enough to win him back his place. I would say that MON will be looking for defensive cover rather than attacking attributes but who knows.

paul_oshea
22/03/2017, 2:20 PM
I think if it was away Oneill would be going for a more defensive approach, but he is of that mantra win at home, draw away and will therefore go for a more attack minded approach. Given the injury list though, and just the massive displacement and unsettlement it causes a defensive approach would be the sounder one in my opinion on this ocassion. I'm pretty sure he will start McGeady, unless he thinks he wont last a full game and wants him at full tilt in the 2nd half.

DeLorean
22/03/2017, 2:26 PM
McGeady didn't start in Vienna and I am not sure that a good latter half of the season for Preston will be enough to win him back his place.

We had Hoolahan in Vienna though and McGeady hadn't done anything of note to justify a start at that stage. I don't think it's so much winning back his place as it is filling a void but, you're right, who knows?!! MON might not even know himself yet.

Closed Account
22/03/2017, 2:43 PM
How I see game panning out:

Ireland will sit deep to avoid being caught on the break, meaning sacrificing a lot of possession to Wales, 40%-60% something like that, maybe worse since possession is calculated on percentage of total passes completed.
We'll rely on Long and McClean and to a lesser extent Walters to get us up the pitch. Ultimately it will be infuriating for the Irish fans, but I'd aim to keep it tight until the 65-70min mark, i.e I can't see O'Shea pushing us up to the half way line too often.
The subs will be crucial and I'd prefer to keep McGeady, Doyle and possibly Horgan until this point when hopefully the Welsh will be getting anxious and start rushing passes and losing possession.
All of this immediately goes out the window if the Welsh score early.
To summarize, I don't see it being pretty.

Stuttgart88
22/03/2017, 2:47 PM
To summise, I don't see it being pretty.A bit like Celtic park in December 2014? Or Aviva in May/June(?) 2015?

Charlie Darwin
22/03/2017, 3:30 PM
until this point when hopefully the Welsh will be getting anxious and start rushing passes and losing possession.
Why would they get anxious? 0-0 would be a good result for them - they don't have to win.

Closed Account
22/03/2017, 3:54 PM
Why would they get anxious? 0-0 would be a good result for them - they don't have to win.
True, if they come out of it with a draw.
But I can't think of any reason for a Welsh player or management, at 70mins and the game in the balance, not to be thinking "big chance for 3 points here".
On the flipside, it'd be hard for the thought "draw isn't a bad result" not to creep in for the Irish players, irrespective if the management have said so or not.

Charlie Darwin
22/03/2017, 3:56 PM
Exactly, we'd likely be the ones getting anxious.

geysir
22/03/2017, 4:05 PM
The Welsh would be anxious as this game has been marked by most as a must win game for them. Probably haven't got the nerves for the long haul.

Heartening the read the RTE report that McCarthy is battling to prove his fitness, that evokes an image of James in the gym at dawn, ice cold sea bathing followed by ice baths, press ups, squats etc.

Closed Account
22/03/2017, 4:23 PM
Exactly, we'd likely be the ones getting anxious.
You could look at it like that, I guess it's a matter of perspective. I always thought of it as easier to hold a team scoreless than chase a goal.

KrisLetang
22/03/2017, 4:58 PM
Where is Dr Peepee? Has he been trying to treat our injured?

Razors left peg
22/03/2017, 5:04 PM
We are in a great position going into this game. Its a chance to almost make a top 2 position guaranteed and the fact that we are at home we shouldn't be going in with any other attitude of beating Wales and going at them from the start. Theres no way we should be cagey and accept that a draw is a decent result.

Olé Olé
22/03/2017, 5:08 PM
We are in a great position going into this game. Its a chance to almost make a top 2 position guaranteed and the fact that we are at home we shouldn't be going in with any other attitude of beating Wales and going at them from the start. Theres no way we should be cagey and accept that a draw is a decent result.

After the Austria win and with Serbia and Austria to come to us, I feel that you're right. I feel we should feel that this is a game we should go for before those two come. 3 points could make us. Will the point difference between a draw and a loss break us?

And then.. I remember they have Bale and Ramsey and that bit of caution ekes back into my thinking.

KrisLetang
22/03/2017, 5:11 PM
We are in a great position going into this game.

For goodness sakes man don't tempt fate. Remember your gethsemane at half time of the super bowl saying how the Falcons would finally win one? I won't even mention your Hillary button on election morning.

KrisLetang
22/03/2017, 5:14 PM
Gunter: I couldn't kick a ball into the ocean but a first goal vs silly Irish would be sweetest of life.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0322/861797-welsh-veteran/

Razors left peg
22/03/2017, 5:14 PM
For goodness sakes man don't tempt fate. Remember your gethsemane at half time of the super bowl saying how the Falcons would finally win one? I won't even mention your Hillary button on election morning.

Haha in a great position you can go a put your foot on the throat of the opposition instead of trying to coast home like the Falcons or Hillary

SkStu
22/03/2017, 5:30 PM

agree with this. A lot of fear running through the conversation here. Even with our injuries we have enough to beat Wales. Sure, Bale is a talisman and they have quality in midfield and defence but they are very beatable. We also have no shortage of quality in areas that they are weak. I think the pace of Long will cause them trouble and I really think McClean and his work ethic and persistence will be vital. I hope McGeady starts in a free role as he might do to Wales what Bale might do to us.

Long story short, we have nothing to fear and we need to go out there with a plan to win the game. I predicted 3-1 to us a couple of weeks ago and I still think that is doable, despite the injuries, if we go out there in the right frame of mind.

Razors left peg
22/03/2017, 5:58 PM
I can see the attitude of being rightly worried about Bale. Any time we come up against a team that has one top class player he always seems to score against us, but I really think that we can get at them at the back too. We have decent pace going forward and I think we can win the midfield battle (especially if McCarthy is fit).

BonnieShels
22/03/2017, 6:05 PM
Well, Ledley might be missing:

Joe Ledley a Welsh doubt with wife expecting third child
Joe Ledley could miss Wales' World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland if his pregnant wife Ruby goes into labour before the Dublin clash.

The prospect of midfielder Ledley missing the game has been raised by his Crystal Palace team-mate Wayne Hennessey, who was speaking to the media little more than 48 hours before the Group D clash at the Aviva Stadium.

Ruby is due to give birth to the couple's third child - they are already parents to daughters Layla and Reeva - a few days after Wales take on group leaders the Republic.

But Hennessey says that Ledley is on tenterhooks as the due date and Ireland game draws nearer, and that his best friend has even had a member of the Wales staff take his mobile phone out to the training ground this week.

"Ruby is expecting two or three days after the game, so Joe is hoping he doesn't get the call until the day after," Hennessey said.

"He's not been nervous, he's been calm. He's just keeping his phone on loud and for one of the members of staff to take his phone if he's out on the training field.

"He's used to it now... but let's hope she doesn't drop before the game. I would be lost without him!"

Hennessey will win his 67th cap in Dublin and he is expecting a sell-out 51,700-Aviva crowd to create an intense atmosphere.

The Republic are currently four points clear of third-placed Wales and two ahead of Serbia.

"It will be a hostile game in terms of the crowd," Hennessey said.

"But on the field and off the field, the Euros really prepared us for games like this.

"The Irish have injuries but that means other people will come in to stake a claim.

"It's difficult opposition but we know what they're all like. We know all about their players and their style of play."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0322/861808-joe-ledley-wales/

Trap wouldn't like that.

SkStu
22/03/2017, 6:09 PM
we are also unbeaten in Dublin since May 2014 (a friendly v Turkey) and have claimed some notable scalps during that time.

Fixer82
22/03/2017, 6:18 PM
we are also unbeaten in Dublin since May 2014 (a friendly v Turkey) and have claimed some notable scalps during that time.

A game we should have drawn. Glenn Whelan scored a perfectly good goal after about 50 seconds that was disallowed!

geysir
22/03/2017, 6:24 PM
This is a group that we can finish first in, best opportunity since 1994 WCQ to qualify on a first class ticket.
I think 4 points is enough from this and the next game to stay ahead of the pack,

KrisLetang
22/03/2017, 6:50 PM
Wales Quiz on 42

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-wales-soccer-3301099-Mar2017/

DeLorean
22/03/2017, 7:56 PM

Don't know about that. After dropping four points in home games against Georgia and Serbia they're going to have to recover the damage somewhere, draws won't really do that. A draw and they'll probably be four points behind both ourselves and Serbia at the half way mark. Even Austria, who've had a horror start to the campaign, will be level with them.

DeLorean
22/03/2017, 8:08 PM
I predicted 3-1 to us a couple of weeks ago and I still think that is doable, despite the injuries, if we go out there in the right frame of mind.

When you say the right frame of mind, do you mean you think we should try to set the tempo and attack them from the start? I'm a little torn on that one. I'd love if we could perform like we did for the first 50/55 minutes against Sweden at the Euros, not giving them a second on the ball and creating chances. On the flip side though, Wales do seem to struggle most when teams just sit back against them and wait for the opportunity to hit them on the break, or late on as mentioned above.

DeLorean
22/03/2017, 8:09 PM
Wales Quiz on 42

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-wales-soccer-3301099-Mar2017/

Congrats on your 100th post 'new guy'. ;)

Cymro
22/03/2017, 11:04 PM
To be honest, if Ireland do sit back, I'll probably be happier with that. The games I have watched the Republic play this way - Belgium 0-3 in the Euros, Poland (away) 2-2 in the qualifiers for instance - they have looked incapable of holding off teams with attacking talent, which we undoubtedly have. On the other hand, when the team plays balls out from the start, for instance against Bos-Herz in the playoff, they seem to score early and take control of the game. Of course we are a different team ourselves than those teams named and you can't make direct comparisons, but I think if the game is more open and fast-paced, it probably favours Ireland. If it's more tactical, it probably favours us.

I am unlike most of you feeling cautiously optimistic about a Welsh win, but we will see.

Razors left peg
22/03/2017, 11:09 PM
To be honest, if Ireland do sit back, I'll probably be happier with that. The games I have watched the Republic play this way - Belgium 0-3 in the Euros, Poland (away) 2-2 in the qualifiers for instance - they have looked incapable of holding off teams with attacking talent, which we undoubtedly have. On the other hand, when the team plays balls out from the start, for instance against Bos-Herz in the playoff, they seem to score early and take control of the game. Of course we are a different team ourselves than those teams named and you can't make direct comparisons, but I think if the game is more open and fast-paced, it probably favours Ireland. If it's more tactical, it probably favours us.

I am unlike most of you feeling cautiously optimistic about a Welsh win, but we will see.

This sums it up perfectly really.... well apart from being optimistic about the Welsh win!

Cymro
22/03/2017, 11:24 PM
This sums it up perfectly really.... well apart from being optimistic about the Welsh win!

I'm not normally confident about a win going into a game, but there are reasons to be optimistic. When you look at the likely starting XIs for each side, I feel like ours looks stronger on paper. This remains the case even if Ledley is out, as Huws is performing well for Ipswich at present. We also have options off the bench. I'm not saying our XI is stronger by a long way, but I'd have us slight favourites even allowing for home advantage.

This will likely be the Welsh XI:

Hennessey, Gunter, Chester, Williams, Davies, Taylor, Ledley/Huws, Ramsey, Allen, Bale, Vokes/Robson-Kanu.

In that team, two were in the Euro 2016 team of the tournament (Ramsey & Allen), 8 are PL regulars, one La Liga, and two Championship (three if Huws replaces Ledley). It's a strong side.

DannyInvincible
22/03/2017, 11:54 PM
Well, Ledley might be missing:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0322/861808-joe-ledley-wales/

Trap wouldn't like that.

Where on earth did Wayne Hennessy get the impression that the atmosphere in the new Lansdowne Road is "hostile"?... :dunno:

Olé Olé
23/03/2017, 12:19 AM
I'm not normally confident about a win going into a game, but there are reasons to be optimistic. When you look at the likely starting XIs for each side, I feel like ours looks stronger on paper. This remains the case even if Ledley is out, as Huws is performing well for Ipswich at present. We also have options off the bench. I'm not saying our XI is stronger by a long way, but I'd have us slight favourites even allowing for home advantage.

This will likely be the Welsh XI:

Hennessey, Gunter, Chester, Williams, Davies, Taylor, Ledley/Huws, Ramsey, Allen, Bale, Vokes/Robson-Kanu.

In that team, two were in the Euro 2016 team of the tournament (Ramsey & Allen), 8 are PL regulars, one La Liga, and two Championship (three if Huws replaces Ledley). It's a strong side.
Good side and Williams, Ramsey, Allen and Bale are all very good players.

I think we will have 9 PL players (Randolph, Ward, O'Shea, Coleman, McClean, Hendrick, Whelan, Long, Walters) in our starting line up.

A lot of our players stack up to your own (particularly if McCarthy and Brady were fit) but, unfortunately for us, Bale and Ramsey are a class apart. I'm just hoping that home advantage and using some of our hard running players to get behind your wing backs and stretch your centre backs will swing it in our favour.

geysir
23/03/2017, 6:24 AM
I would be very surprised if Ireland were set up to sit back and let Wales have their way, possibly if it was away game after scoring a goal, but not at home.
If Wales don't win, their campaign is still badly stuck mid table 4 points behind us with an away game to Serbia next. We can take the draw if it happens, but there's no way O'Neill will think that before the game, he will want Ireland to be ahead on points when Serbia come here

DeLorean
23/03/2017, 9:53 AM
To be honest, if Ireland do sit back, I'll probably be happier with that. The games I have watched the Republic play this way - Belgium 0-3 in the Euros, Poland (away) 2-2 in the qualifiers for instance - they have looked incapable of holding off teams with attacking talent, which we undoubtedly have.

We managed okay sitting back against Germany, taking four points and only conceding once in two games. Compare that to Scotland who were hailed for going toe-to-toe in an attacking sense against them (but conceded five goals and took zero points).

On the other hand, when the team plays balls out from the start, for instance against Bos-Herz in the playoff, they seem to score early and take control of the game. Of course we are a different team ourselves than those teams named and you can't make direct comparisons, but I think if the game is more open and fast-paced, it probably favours Ireland. If it's more tactical, it probably favours us.

I suppose there's different ways of sitting back. We certainly didn't go "balls out" against B&H. We sat back to a certain extent, pretty much conceded possession but pressed the ball well in our own half. The difference between the teams on the night was discipline really. We kept our heads and made good use of our set pieces, they got frustrated and lost control of the game.

That's the kind of sitting back approach I would hope for against ye, but unfortunately it's hard to see us getting two much joy from set pieces this time around. I'm not sure if we've even got a player who can put in a decent free kick.

The only game I can remember where we went balls out, as you put it, was against Sweden at the Euros (maybe Italy & France too but that was in a more aggressive sense, rather than a footballing sense). We really took the game to Sweden, pressed all over the pitch and created all the chances for the first 50/55 minutes. Unfortunately we didn't get the kind of lead our dominance deserved and we looked a bit jaded the longer it went on. In the end I was relieved to hold on for a point.

DeLorean
23/03/2017, 10:09 AM
RE: Ledley - how would we feel about a player missing a big game like this because of the birth of his child? The were saying on Newstalk last night that Ronnie Moran played a match for Liverpool on his wedding day, after the church and joined up again later at the reception. Now that's the kind of dedication you need. :)