PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

DannyInvincible
19/03/2017, 4:29 PM
Also the rules are there for a reason. He should be in Dublin not Dubai. MON and Roy are clear they couldn't give a rats ass what the various club medical teams say. So I think it's fair to say the player has pulled out and has said he isn't travelling.

The management/medical team have obviously decided not to enforce the rule, so I think it would be reasonable to assume they've been provided with sufficient medical evidence to substantiate Bournemouth's injury claims.

What you're saying is tantamount to accusing Arter of going AWOL without any consultation with our management or medical team. That's a pretty serious allegation and it's totally groundless.

TheOneWhoKnocks
19/03/2017, 4:34 PM
McCarthy is a warrior for us really think he will play Friday which will be huge for us. Join him with Hendrick and Gibson behind mcgeady McLean and long. Gives you Walters and Murphy if we need to go long in last 15 mins. No wes is a kick in the teeth

Yes. McCarthy's attitude is a refreshing contrast to that of Arter's. Meyler, too, will always turn up and give 110% to the cause. Hourihane can come in and give us a bit of impetus and goalscoring threat.

I agree it would be best to go with Long up front and bring on the aerial bombardment (Walters, Murphy) for the last 20 minutes if Plan A doesn't work.

Hopefully we will get a better outlook on Hoolahan once he shows up in Dublin so we can get a look at him.

Diggs246
19/03/2017, 4:35 PM
I'm saying I'm not satisfied. I just feel and it is only an opinion if it was whelan or McClean in the same boat they would swim to dublin

DannyInvincible
19/03/2017, 4:35 PM
Wales 24/3/17

That's not your answer to this, is it?:

Which squads did he pull out of before then featuring for Bournemouth the following weekend?

DannyInvincible
19/03/2017, 4:38 PM
I'm saying I'm not satisfied. I just feel and it is only an opinion if it was whelan or McClean in the same boat they would swim to dublin

And you're not privy to the full facts. You have very little insider info. Thus, your opinion isn't worth a huge deal.

tetsujin1979
19/03/2017, 4:38 PM
Sorry he does have 4 caps my error. But I am concerned it looks and feels terrible and he has pulled out of squads and then played the following weekend for his club. I fear he will play for Bournemouth on Saturday week
He didn't get injured yesterday, it's entirely possible he wouldn't be fit for Friday, or even to take part in training this week, but after two weeks in Dubai he'll have recovered

Diggs246
19/03/2017, 4:40 PM
Neither I you Daniel. This is a forum it's based on opinions. BTW I would love to be wrong

DannyInvincible
19/03/2017, 4:43 PM
Neither I you Daniel.

Which is why I'm not blindly jumping to conclusions and casting aspersions over Arter's commitment.

MeathDrog
19/03/2017, 5:08 PM
6 starters potentially out for Friday.

You would take the draw.

TheOneWhoKnocks
19/03/2017, 5:22 PM
6 starters potentially out for Friday.

You would take the draw.

O'Shea and Keogh started against Germany and absorbed a similar amount of pressure to what we should expect on Friday. Ward & Coleman are first choice full backs. Randolph is deservedly first choice goalkeeper. Whelan and Hendrick would probably be starting anyway. McCarthy hasn't been ruled out. Meyler impressed more than Arter against Austria IMO and has filled in admirably several times inc. Germany. We can choose between McGeady, McClean, Horgan, Walters and others for the wide positions. Our two best options to play up front (Long, Murphy) are both available and neither are guaranteed to start.

All this and I haven't mentioned Conor Hourihane who could come in and do a job for us.

It's not doom and gloom.

Though it would be a bit worrying if O'Shea or Keogh were to pick up a knock.

MeathDrog
19/03/2017, 5:28 PM
All fair points. I'm not worried about who can step in. We have plenty of experience to choose from.

Losing out on Arter, Wes and Brady in particular hurts us creatively. Hendrick in particular will have to step up.

With a full squad to choose from I would put us slight favourites. As it stands now, with Wales desperate for a win, I have them slight favourites.

I predict a score draw which all things considered would be a good result.

geysir
19/03/2017, 6:12 PM
Which is why I'm not blindly jumping to conclusions and casting aspersions over Arter's commitment.
Agreed.
Arter has been officially ruled out of the game because of an injury. It's standard procedure that an injured player remains with the club. If the club are moving en masse to Dubai, then he follows them and continues with his supervised rehab program. Any aspersion cast on Arter about this, is utter drivel.

mark12345
19/03/2017, 6:13 PM
Ramsay was rank rotten for Arsenal v West Brom.

I thought he was excellent. Was at the center of everything positive for Arsenal. Always links the play very well.

TheOneWhoKnocks
19/03/2017, 6:25 PM
I thought he was excellent. Was at the center of everything positive for Arsenal. Always links the play very well.

Drivel in other words.

mark12345
19/03/2017, 6:33 PM
McCarthy is a warrior for us really think he will play Friday which will be huge for us. Join him with Hendrick and Gibson behind mcgeady McLean and long. Gives you Walters and Murphy if we need to go long in last 15 mins. No wes is a kick in the teeth

Substitute Gibson for Hourihane or O'Kane and you've got quite a good looking attack (biggest fear is that Whelan will be included in the starting 11 - guaranteed not to win if that's the case).
Also a pity Liam Kelly doesn't have a year or two more under his belt. He's just the type of player we need in this team.

mark12345
19/03/2017, 6:36 PM
Drivel in other words.

No, quite good actually. He's the one we've got to watch on Friday night

liamoo11
19/03/2017, 6:56 PM
Substitute Gibson for Hourihane or O'Kane and you've got quite a good looking attack (biggest fear is that Whelan will be included in the starting 11 - guaranteed not to win if that's the case).
Also a pity Liam Kelly doesn't have a year or two more under his belt. He's just the type of player we need in this team.

I think Gibson gives you that incisive crisp passing to open things up for the pace of long McLean and mcgeady. O Kane is tidy and neat but doesn't have that passing quality and I can't see hourihane been given his first cap in such a big game

TheOneWhoKnocks
19/03/2017, 7:26 PM
Well there is no way Gibson and Whelan are playing in the same team and Whelan is probably going to be viewed as even more important than he already is due to the other personnel missing/potentially missing, so I just can't see Gibson featuring.

Walters is a lock and MON seems to like Murphy.

Can you imagine a team with Whelan, Gibson and Walters in it? They would run rings around us.

I think Gibson is getting back into the swing of things. Give him until the summer to see if he can remain injury free and keep an eye on his progress. I think the tempo and feel of this game isn't a good match for him.

I'm not terribly gone on O'Kane either from what I have seen of him.

I would be far more in tune with throwing Hourihane in TBH. I think he's a confident lad who won't shirk the occasion and has the right mix of ingenuity and bite.

TheOneWhoKnocks
19/03/2017, 7:58 PM
https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/843559538230022144
(https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/843559538230022144)

Arter, Elliot, McShane, Clark, Kelly & McGoldrick out of Wales game. Pilkington, Gleeson, Gibson, Rooney, Doherty cut

Hoolahan and McCarthy are still fighting for an opportunity to participate on Friday.

nigel-harps1954
19/03/2017, 7:59 PM
Dan McDonnell tweeting in the last few minutes:

"Arter, Elliot, McShane, Clark, Kelly & McGoldrick out of Wales game.

Pilkington, Gleeson, Gibson, Rooney, Doherty cut"

SkStu
19/03/2017, 9:34 PM
Kelly? Injured?

TheOneWhoKnocks
19/03/2017, 9:41 PM
Kelly? Injured?

Hamstring injury.

DeLorean
20/03/2017, 8:40 AM
Yes. McCarthy's attitude is a refreshing contrast to that of Arter's.

Maybe you should remind yourself that you used question McCarthy's commitment in an identical way as little as two or three years ago. Now you're using him as a shining example that others should aspire to emulate. Brilliant stuff!

paul_oshea
20/03/2017, 9:42 AM
"I would imagine Glenn Whelan playing the role which closes any gaps for Bale. The players around him will provide him simple information to keep an eye on him, and the back four will be communicating 'left shoulder, right shoulder' whenever Bale moves. Whelan's spatial awareness will be vital to keep Wales and Bale away from our goal."

Intersting from Hunt, when a fellow player comes out with that, you have to take note really. Perhaps I've just completely misunderstood Whelan all these years.

It sounded like Skstu was questioning in the sense, who is kelly, not so much was he injured :D

paul_oshea
20/03/2017, 10:01 AM

I've never really rated Gibson, not that hot. Especially when he lost his hair.

mark12345
20/03/2017, 10:20 AM
Dan McDonnell tweeting in the last few minutes:

"Arter, Elliot, McShane, Clark, Kelly & McGoldrick out of Wales game.

Pilkington, Gleeson, Gibson, Rooney, Doherty cut"

Based on the above, Rooney and Pilkington will be calling time on their international careers with McGoldrick not far behind. They may not be saying it publicly but they surely will be thinking it.

mark12345
20/03/2017, 10:24 AM
"I would imagine Glenn Whelan playing the role which closes any gaps for Bale. The players around him will provide him simple information to keep an eye on him, and the back four will be communicating 'left shoulder, right shoulder' whenever Bale moves. Whelan's spatial awareness will be vital to keep Wales and Bale away from our goal."

Intersting from Hunt, when a fellow player comes out with that, you have to take note really. Perhaps I've just completely misunderstood Whelan all these years.

It sounded like Skstu was questioning in the sense, who is kelly, not so much was he injured :D

Whelan will be closing gaps for Bale? And his spatial awareness will be vital?
I will take my hat off to you sir if I am wrong and you're right (I sincerely hope you are) but if we're depending on Whelan in this game then I fear the worst.
Would love to see Hourihane get the nod for his mobility and bite alone.

Olé Olé
20/03/2017, 10:36 AM
What do people think.. will Hourihane or Horgan (less likely, both) get their first cap Friday? I wouldn't bet against them getting a run but things are tight. I can see McGeady 10, with McClean to his left and Walters to his right and Long in front of him. That leaves Murphy to come in for Long or Walters and Hoolahan (fitness depending) coming in for McGeady. After that, I'm not sure if MON trusts Hourihane to play at the base of midfield. The management inferred as much after watching him earlier in the season. But Horgan could provide a real spark if we need another attacking option instead or as well as Murphy off the bench.

That's based on my predicted team. I'm going with the following
Randolph
Coleman Keogh O'Shea Ward
McCarthy Whelan
Walters McGeady McClean
Long

I think fitness doubts will render Wes an option from the bench. Slightly worried about the lack of pace at the back too but such are our options without Duffy and Clark.

Olé Olé
20/03/2017, 10:38 AM
Basing my assertion on Hourihane on this which may be dated if he's progressed since: http://www.the42.ie/hourihane-keane-opinion-3206343-Jan2017/

paul_oshea
20/03/2017, 10:42 AM
I've a feeling that McGeady will get the nod at number 10 if Hoolahan is out. Always a surprise call from Mon and that would suit given how he is playing for Preston at the minute. That way he could still play walters and McClean as well.

Mark, thats what Hunt said, not me.

DeLorean
20/03/2017, 10:56 AM
I don't think that would be a surprise call at all if Hoolahan is out. Anything other than that would be a bigger surprise in the circumstances.

I think Olé is probably pretty close with his starting XI above, except Hendrick will start without question.

Closed Account
20/03/2017, 11:12 AM
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/daryl-murphy-set-withdraw-ireland-12767462

Daryl Murphy set to withdraw with an ankle injury according to this but it also says he's been looked at by the IFA medics so I wouldn't be too sure of it's veracity.

Closed Account
20/03/2017, 11:35 AM
MON confirms that Wes has a thigh injury and he will be our for a 'number' of weeks.

DannyInvincible
20/03/2017, 11:47 AM
...but it also says he's been looked at by the IFA medics...

Hands off our boys!

The FAI have tweeted (https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/843797946789445633):

Martin O'Neill: Daryl Murphy is giving himself a chance. He's not ruled out yet. We'll see what happens with the scan.

And eirSport have tweeted (https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/843798029756973056):

MON on Daryl Murphy: He's certainly not ruling himself out. We'll see what it says on the scan. It'll be great if he can make it.

Meanwhile, BBC Wales Sport are saying (https://twitter.com/BBCWalesSport/status/843799394566791169) that Coleman is carrying a knock:

Republic of Ireland captain Seamus Coleman, striker Daryl Murphy and midfielder James McCarthy are all having injuries assessed.

eirSport reassure (https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/843802078959026180) that it is simply a case of Coleman not training today and that he should be OK for Friday:

Seamus & Jonny Hayes didn't train today but they should be ok.

DannyInvincible
20/03/2017, 12:17 PM
Based on the above, Rooney and Pilkington will be calling time on their international careers with McGoldrick not far behind. They may not be saying it publicly but they surely will be thinking it.

I'm not sure you could really say Rooney has a senior international career to date, but plenty of players have had to patiently bide their time over the years before getting their breaks. Nothing new here, so there's no need for anyone to be thinking of retirement in a huff. These guys are professionals and they'll know that nobody is entitled to senior caps. They have to be earned.

Are you suggesting Rooney, Pilkington and McGoldrick have reason to feel aggrieved? If so, you must feel they should be in the squad in place of other players? Who do you feel should have missed out at their expense?

Ultimately, somebody has to be cut when you've got a 23 or 28-man limit and it's no surprise that it'll continually be the more peripheral players. You can't just select them in final squads for the sake of it or simply to keep them happy. You have to select your best players, or those who will provide the greatest utility.

jbyrne
20/03/2017, 12:25 PM

McGoldrick is injured

DannyInvincible
20/03/2017, 12:26 PM
This is the latest in terms of who's still in the squad and who's doubtful, as far as I can make out:

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph, Keiren Westwood, Colin Doyle.

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (missed training today but should be OK), Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce, John O'Shea, Andy Boyle, John Egan, Stephen Ward.

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady, Glenn Whelan, James McCarthy (doubtful; having injury assessed), Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady (suspended for Friday), Conor Hourihane, David Meyler, Eunan O'Kane, James McClean, Jonathan Hayes (missed training today but should be OK), Daryl Horgan, Callum O'Dowda.

Forwards: Jonathan Walters, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy (doubtful; having injury assessed), Kevin Doyle.

TheOneWhoKnocks
20/03/2017, 1:29 PM
Maybe you should remind yourself that you used question McCarthy's commitment in an identical way as little as two or three years ago. Now you're using him as a shining example that others should aspire to emulate. Brilliant stuff!

McCarthy has been carrying a significant injury for over a week and is still a heavy doubt but has travelled to Dublin to be assessed by the FAI and remain with the squad. Arter, to my knowledge, failed a late fitness test to feature against Swansea at the weekend.

Brady is suspended for the Wales game but has remained with the squad with a view to featuring against Iceland.

It's not good enough IMO.

DeLorean
20/03/2017, 1:36 PM
McCarthy has been carrying a significant injury for over a week and is still a heavy doubt but has travelled to Dublin to be assessed by the FAI and remain with the squad.

I know. I never questioned McCarthy's commitment... ever... that was all you. Yet these days you're using his dedication as a stick to beat another player with. A fairly dramatic u-turn, no?

Arter, to my knowledge, failed a late fitness test to feature against Swansea at the weekend.

Brady is suspended for the Wales game but has remained with the squad with a view to featuring against Iceland.

It's not good enough IMO.

It's not good enough that a fit player has travelled with the squad and an unfit player hasn't? Okay. :rolleyes:

TheOneWhoKnocks
20/03/2017, 1:41 PM
I know. I never questioned McCarthy's commitment... ever... that was all you. Yet these days you're using his dedication as a stick to beat another player with. A fairly dramatic u-turn, no?

It's not good enough that a fit player has travelled with the squad and an unfit player hasn't? Okay. :rolleyes:

If you're going to keep babbling about something I allegedly said about McCarthy a few months/years ago because you have nothing else to defend Arter with than you can at least be a gentleman and provide a link to what I allegedly said.

Robbie Brady is a first team player. He didn't have to travel to Dublin for a meaningless friendly we are likely to experiment with other options in. He could have taken a rain check on the Wales game and linked up with the squad at a later date with a view to featuring in the Iceland game.

His commitment and dedication is impressive, so is McCarthy's.

Arter could have shown a bit more.

IMO.

DeLorean
20/03/2017, 1:56 PM
If you're going to keep babbling about something I allegedly said about McCarthy a few months/years ago because you have nothing else to defend Arter with than you can at least be a gentleman and provide a link to what I allegedly said.

Robbie Brady is a first team player. He didn't have to travel to Dublin for a meaningless friendly we are likely to experiment with other options in. He could have taken a rain check on the Wales game and linked up with the squad at a later date with a view to featuring in the Iceland game.

His commitment and dedication is impressive, so is McCarthy's.

Arter could have shown a bit more.

IMO.

You constantly questioned McCarthy's commitment to our cause around the time he missed the Germany & Scotland away games, saying things like he'll be available for Everton's next game, etc, etc. Basically the same stuff you're doing now with Arter. I'll provide some links no problem if you're actually disputing or unsure of the fact?

I don't need to defend Arter, I see absolutely no reason why he'd pull out of a squad for a massive qualifier unless he simply isn't fit enough to take part. He's just after getting into the first team picture after starting our best away result in decades, why would he not want to be involved against Wales?

Brady's commitment is unquestionable but I'd be reluctant to dish out praise for him travelling in this situation, we have two games and he's fully fit and available for one of them, friendly or otherwise.

TheOneWhoKnocks
20/03/2017, 2:07 PM
You constantly questioned McCarthy's commitment to our cause around the time he missed the Germany & Scotland away games, saying things like he'll be available for Everton's next game, etc, etc. Basically the same stuff you're doing now with Arter. I'll provide some links no problem if you're actually disputing or unsure of the fact?

I don't need to defend Arter, I see absolutely no reason why he'd pull out of a squad for a massive qualifier unless he simply isn't fit enough to take part. He's just after getting into the first team picture after starting our best away result in decades, why would he not want to be involved against Wales?

Brady's commitment is unquestionable but I'd be reluctant to dish out praise for him travelling in this situation, we have two games and he's fully fit and available for one of them, friendly or otherwise.

Yes. I would like to see what I allegedly said about McCarthy.

It's apples and oranges comparing Arter's situation to McCarthy's.

Arter failed a late fitness test and didn't, to my knowledge, follow the protocol Hoolahan or McCarthy did and travel to Dublin to be assessed by the FAI. McCarthy has been and still is carrying an injury that would rule a lot of players out but is clearly determined to feature, even if it's a reduced role.

McCarthy experienced undue pressure not just from his club manager, Roberto Martinez, but his national team manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, and Scotland's counterpart manager, in declaring for us.

Over the years he has been unfortunate enough to have yet another manager, Ronald Koeman, who seems determined to drive a wedge.

I will never question his commitment, how could I?

Come off it. He's (Brady) a first team player and nobody would have batted an eyelid if he wasn't named in the squad when he's suspended for the most important game, I was surprised when he was.

It's impressive that he's in Dublin right now and part of the squad when he doesn't have to be.

Not everyone has that commitment to the cause.

tetsujin1979
20/03/2017, 2:24 PM
I'll allow the current discussion in this thread, but be aware I'm watching. DeLorean, please produce evidence of what TOWK is alleged to have posted.

The search option is straightforward to use.

geysir
20/03/2017, 2:31 PM
You want evidence of towk claiming McCarthy's "alleged injury" (which allowed him to bottle out of) for the Scotland game? you're losing your memory Tets, you were even involved in the discussion;)

For starters, somewhere on this page and onwards, probably previous too
http://foot.ie/threads/68192-James-McCarthy/page214

geysir
20/03/2017, 2:43 PM
I'm more worried it always being about Everton. There's a pattern developing.
First we had Martinez and him trying to 'curry favour' with his wife by kowtowing to Scotland's cause and now we have Koeman and his pro Welsh agenda.

Diggs246
20/03/2017, 2:47 PM
On brief examination it looks like "Towk" is taking issue with Everton and not McCarthy in fairness

DeLorean
20/03/2017, 3:21 PM
I'll allow the current discussion in this thread, but be aware I'm watching. DeLorean, please produce evidence of what TOWK is alleged to have posted.

The search option is straightforward to use.

I know it is, and I had full intention of doing so... hence why I offered in my very last post.

On brief examination it looks like "Towk" is taking issue with Everton and not McCarthy in fairness

There's no doubt that Martinez was on the receiving end of a lot of it but, seriously, if a player isn't dedicated and passionate enough to stand up to their club manager and misses massive games like Germany & Scotland as a result, then their own commitment is very much being questioned too in my opinion.

Anyway, yeah, it's pretty much the discussion that Geysir linked. Here's a quick selection... (rinse & repeat and all that)

Let's face it. If it was an Everton game on Friday he would probably be available but we're going to have to plan without him on Friday.

There is no speculation about the injuries being minor. They were. Did McCarthy technically even have an injury? They could have been aggravated but they were not serious enough to definitively rule them out of the Germany game so they should have been sent for assessment. That's partly the fault of the FAI's but you can be forgiven for thinking that Martinez wanted to use the International break to extend their rest period.

Not surprised about McCarthy's absence. I think he does have a minor issue and he would play on Friday if Everton were playing but they aren't.

If McCarthy doesn't play Everton's next game I will literally eat a hat.

And I would be very surprised if the same circus act doesn't come around again in March for the Poland game.

A scan (fitness test typo my bad!) showed that McCarthy could play against Germany. McCarthy, under some pressure from his, club elected not to. O'Neill said he would have played if it was a league game but McCarthy made a judgement call.

The bone of contention would be McCarthy missing a game he was adjudged fit enough to participate in. Not adjudged by me but by his managers and doctors.

Closed Account
20/03/2017, 3:26 PM
Which begs the question why Bournemouth are not the brunt of his disdain this time. But that's for another thread at another time. Let's get our focus back on our biggest game of the campaign (in my opinion).

Hopefully the Aviva will be rocking. It's a shame we have all the injuries, even if not all of them were starters.

With the raft of players missing, I can see the management going down the conversative route in starting XI.
Which means Randolph in goal.
Coleman, O'Shea and Keogh(poss Pearce), Ward,
Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick
Walters, Long, McClean.

Then off the bench, McGeady, Meyler(if it's going well), Murphy(if it's not going well), Horgan/O'Dowda or Hayes.

Unlikely to see, Westwood, C.Doyle, Boyle, Egan, Christie(unless Coleman is fupped), Hourihane, O'Kane or K.Doyle, although all will probably see action against Iceland.

DannyInvincible
20/03/2017, 5:07 PM

The notion that Arter has skived off or gone AWOL is ludicrous. It's simply not plausible and I'm surprised the insinuations and accusations have been allowed stand on the forum considering it's a pretty serious allegation to make about a player in terms of his professional integrity and general commitment.

As you say, Del, after accepting call-ups for friendly games, why, if Arter has supposedly never been truly committed to our cause, would he choose that now, as opposed to before the previous numerous friendly squads in which he's participated, is the time to skive off when he'd have been in line to start a crucial World Cup qualifier (one of the biggest games of his career to date)? Why would he ever have bothered accepting call-ups in the first place if he wasn't truly bothered? Why would he have insisted that he was fully committed to the Irish cause when he might have been in the reckoning for an England call-up earlier this season? Why not just hold off for a more-lucrative England call-up? It just doesn't add up; his words and actions aren't consistent with someone lacking in commitment.

He has an "excellent" relationship with the squad, as reported (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/harry-arter-frustrated-by-england-switch-rumours-and-fully-committed-to-irish-cause-35114614.html) by Miguel Delaney last October. Roy Keane has had no doubts over his commitment (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/harry-arter-frustrated-by-england-switch-rumours-and-fully-committed-to-irish-cause-35114614.html) in the past despite previous injuries and media-talk about a potential England-switch. And, clearly, Martin O'Neill has a good, trusting relationship with Arter (https://www.joe.ie/sport/harry-arter-interview-dont-burning-desire-play-football-talking-roy-keane-youre-probably-best-off-giving-548520) too. There's obviously mutual respect there between all concerned; people on the inside and in the know. That's good enough to keep me satisfied.

And this idea that he might have headed off to Dubai with Bournemouth without consultation with the Irish medical staff is just baloney. If the FAI had felt the need to bring him over to Dublin for a medical inspection due to doubts over the veracity of his asserted injury, they'd have been fully entitled to do so and so obviously would have done just that. In light of the fact that they didn't, I would suggest it is fair to assume that they were satisfied by whatever evidence Bournemouth/Arter presented to them to demonstrate or indicate to them that there was no prospect of Arter being fit for the upcoming game(s). Thus, I would suggest it is also fair to assume that he has headed off to Dubai with his club to proceed with his rehab programme, as reported by John Fallon. If Arter had headed off to Dubai without the consent of or against the will of the Irish management and medical team, we'd certainly have heard about it by now. To be of the belief that Arter has gone AWOL is just cloud cuckoo land stuff and substantiation ought to be demanded if such nonsense is going to be peddled and regurgitated on here.

Agreed. Considering Brady is fit and he was selected for this squad (which is a two-game squad), of course he has to travel. He's hardly going to be allowed get away with saying, "Sorry, Martin/Roy, I'm suspended for the big one so I really couldn't be arsed for the second game and I'm just gonna stay at home instead, but best of luck sure!"

Olé Olé
20/03/2017, 5:25 PM
I don't think that would be a surprise call at all if Hoolahan is out. Anything other than that would be a bigger surprise in the circumstances.

I think Olé is probably pretty close with his starting XI above, except Hendrick will start without question.

I agree wholeheartedly. Oversight on my part there.