PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

samhaydenjr
26/02/2017, 3:14 AM
yes, it's divine payback for overuse of exclamation marks by irish football fans. :)

another one bites the dust sam, scott hogan out for up to 5 weeks, at this rate we might not have anyone left within your criteria to call up by the time this game comes around.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39077191

freaking...damn....arrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingdom
27/02/2017, 12:36 PM
Very eager for this match. We've some players in decent form - regardless of the opposition they're facing - Clark, McGeady, Horgan, Cunningham, Duffy, Coleman, Brady - all doing well recently.

Striker is a problem, no doubt about it. Surely at this stage, McGeady is going to start?

IsMiseSean
27/02/2017, 1:30 PM
Massive difference in fortunes between McGeady & McClean since Vienna.
On recent form McGeady should start but hard to drop McClean given what he has done already in this campaign.

Stuttgart88
27/02/2017, 2:50 PM
Can they not both start? Especially if Walters isn't fit.

DeLorean
27/02/2017, 3:20 PM
I'd say it's unlikely he'll start both of them unless he drops Hoolahan, which I don't think anybody wants.

Brady is suspended but presumably Ward will come straight in at left back (where Brady played in Vienna).

Long missed Vienna so presumably he'll slot straight in if Walters is missing.

It'll probably be...

Randolph

Coleman - Duffy - Clark - Ward

McCarthy - Whelan/Arter

Hendrick - Hoolahan - McClean

Long/Walters

KrisLetang
27/02/2017, 3:38 PM
Sounds like this is going to be a Wale of a task lads.

CraftyToePoke
27/02/2017, 3:42 PM
Sounds like this is going to be a Wale of a task lads.

Don't Wale too close to the wind now, we missed you.

zero
27/02/2017, 4:11 PM
I'd say it's unlikely he'll start both of them unless he drops Hoolahan, which I don't think anybody wants.

Brady is suspended but presumably Ward will come straight in at left back (where Brady played in Vienna).

Long missed Vienna so presumably he'll slot straight in if Walters is missing.

It'll probably be...

Randolph

Coleman - Duffy - Clark - Ward

McCarthy - Whelan/Arter

Hendrick - Hoolahan - McClean

Long/Walters

mcgeady has been playing that no.10 hoolahan type role but you would think he will stick with wes. back 4 nailed on bar injuries. i think he'll go with walters over long if he is fit with long to resume his usual impact sub role.

i think there will be a strong feeling that a point would be a good result which while true is arguably a slightly dangerous mentality...

Stuttgart88
27/02/2017, 4:13 PM
i think there will be a strong feeling that a point would be a good result which while true is arguably a slightly dangerous mentality...yeah, I'm worried about that as well.

TheOneWhoKnocks
27/02/2017, 4:17 PM
i think he'll go with walters over long if he is fit with long to resume his usual impact sub role

That would be an insane decision to make considering the fact one is unlikely to be match fit by the Wales game and one is in serious form for Southampton.

But I think the penny has to have dropped that he can't play out wide any longer, yet has to be accommodated somewhere.

IsMiseSean
27/02/2017, 6:12 PM
Can they not both start? Especially if Walters isn't fit.

I thought he was going to be fit. Just read the news on him now.

zero
28/02/2017, 4:08 PM
That would be an insane decision to make considering the fact one is unlikely to be match fit by the Wales game and one is in serious form for Southampton.

But I think the penny has to have dropped that he can't play out wide any longer, yet has to be accommodated somewhere.

I think insane might be stretching it - and I'm not sure about 'serious form' either, but I would tend to agree Long offers more.

I just don't see O'Neill leaving Walters out if some way fit, as we saw in France most notably.

DeLorean
02/03/2017, 10:10 AM
A petulant Bale got a red card for Real Madrid last night. I've read varying reports, ones where it was two yellows but I also read that he's going to have to serve a three match ban, which would indicate that the second yellow was in fact a straight red (assuming you don't get a three match ban for two yellows in La Liga). Farcical really that he could get a straight red for a shove! The video below would suggest the latter is correct though which means that he'll only be available for the Napoli CL game next week before the Ireland match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JFM-3jlH4w

DeLorean
02/03/2017, 9:07 PM
^^ That was meant to go in the opponent watch thread... D'oh.

DannyInvincible
04/03/2017, 2:15 AM
The Irish Sun are reporting that, for the first time ever at the new Lansdowne Road stadium, there will be no restrictions on the sale of alcohol inside the ground before and during the Wales match, although fans won't be allowed to bring drink into the stand area: https://www.thesun.ie/news/658814/ireland-fans-given-the-green-light-to-buy-booze-at-crunch-world-cup-qualifier-against-wales/

FIFA have given the Republic of Ireland fans the green light to buy booze at the crunch World Cup Qualifier against Wales in three weeks, the Irish Sun can reveal.

Until now all bars outside of Premium and Corporate level have been shut for competitive games, but sources told the Irish Sun that all bars would be open when the Welsh come to town later this month.

A source said: “It’s absolutely true that all bars will be open for the Ireland and Wales game in March.”

Rules were in place that have previously prevented the sale of alcohol at competitive matches.

The Irish Sun understands that rules are different for World Cup Qualifiers than they are for the European Championship.

And the March 24 showdown will see bars fully open and serving alcoholic drinks at the Aviva Stadium for the very first time at a competitive football match.

The source said: “Alcohol wasn’t served throughout the qualifying campaign for the Euros because Uefa prohibit it, but the World Cup is a different story.

“Fans won’t be permitted to bring drinks to their seats, but alcohol will be sold before and during the game.”

Long-time Ireland fan Neil Flannery said: “It’s great news for supporters and for the atmosphere in the ground.

“It means fans won’t need to sit in the pub until five minutes before the game and we can get in there and make some noise. It’ll be electric.”

A Fifa spokesman confirmed there were no restrictions in place on the sale of alcohol at qualifiers.

The spokesman said: “There are no FIFA rules preventing alcohol being served at international matches.

“This may have been an issue with European fixtures but not with World Cup.”

DeLorean
04/03/2017, 8:25 AM
In Vienna they only served the 0.5% stuff at the stadium, same as the Euros. You were allowed carry it to your seat though.

jbyrne
04/03/2017, 9:29 AM
In Vienna they only served the 0.5% stuff at the stadium, same as the Euros. You were allowed carry it to your seat though.

beer should be banned from the seats. its allowed in lansdowne for rugby and you end up spending half the time letting people past for beer / jacks. ruins the enjoyment for those who want to watch and support

mark12345
04/03/2017, 11:53 AM
beer should be banned from the seats. its allowed in lansdowne for rugby and you end up spending half the time letting people past for beer / jacks. ruins the enjoyment for those who want to watch and support

Completely agree.

jbyrne
06/03/2017, 9:01 AM
shane duffy out injured....
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0306/857501-duffy-ruled-out-of-wales-game-with-injury/

DannyInvincible
06/03/2017, 10:01 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0306/857501-duffy-ruled-out-of-wales-game-with-injury/

He's a loss. Shane has been in great form of late for Brighton and was probably favourite to start against Wales.

O'Shea has been starting for Sunderland recently, but a centre-back partnership of Clark and Keogh is now the most likely scenario for Wales, I would imagine.

DeLorean
06/03/2017, 10:02 AM

Oops...

DeLorean
06/03/2017, 10:07 AM
O'Shea has been starting for Sunderland recently, but a centre-back partnership of Clark and Keogh is now the most likely scenario for Wales, I would imagine.

I would think so, especially with Wales having a bit of pace in their team. I'd tend to trust O'Shea more than Keogh though but we've managed clean sheets against Germany, Bosnia and Italy with him in the side.

OwlsFan
06/03/2017, 4:16 PM
I would think so, especially with Wales having a bit of pace in their team. I'd tend to trust O'Shea more than Keogh though but we've managed clean sheets against Germany, Bosnia and Italy with him in the side.

So is it Clarke/O'Shea or Clarke/Keogh you prefer? Wasn't quite able to work it work as you agreed with Danny and then said you'd trust O'Shea more. I think I'd go with O'Shea for the big game.

DeLorean
06/03/2017, 4:24 PM
I was agreeing with Danny that O'Neill will probably choose Keogh/Clark. I'd feel a little safer with O'Shea (I think) but Keogh hasn't let us down either. I'd have definitely preferred Duffy over both.

Diggs246
06/03/2017, 4:54 PM
Duffy is a super tackler and an amazing headerer, but in his 9 caps he has been directly responsible for at least 5 goals. I would be more then happy with O'Shea and Keogh

DeLorean
06/03/2017, 7:37 PM
Fair point, he's had a few bad moments alright.

TheOneWhoKnocks
06/03/2017, 7:45 PM
I think it's a bit unfair to lay all the blame for the penalty concession against France and the goal scored by Moldova at Duffy's feet.

Stuttgart88
06/03/2017, 7:49 PM
What penalty conceded against Sweden? Serbia you mean?

DeLorean
06/03/2017, 7:51 PM
Presume he means against France. I think at the very least he was the biggest culprit for both goals

TheOneWhoKnocks
06/03/2017, 7:52 PM
I meant France yeah.

There was no reason to be pushed that high up the pitch when we were 1-2 down and still very much in the game.

It's something that's happened more than once.

Bad game management.

DeLorean
06/03/2017, 8:00 PM
Are you talking about Griezmann's winner or the sending off? There was no penalty.

TheOneWhoKnocks
06/03/2017, 8:01 PM
Sending off.

Forgot it wasn't a penalty.

God I'm having a nightmare here.

DeLorean
06/03/2017, 8:04 PM
It's Griezmann's winner that I think he has to take most of the blame for.

SkStu
06/03/2017, 8:14 PM
It's Griezmann's winner that I think he has to take most of the blame for.

And most of the blame for TOWKs inaccurate posts..

TOWK, if its any consolation, my thoughts were "oh yeah, the France peno - yeah he was definitely at fault for that"

Diggs246
06/03/2017, 8:36 PM
He was at fault imo for the Dutch goal in the friendly before the euros as well.

DeLorean
07/03/2017, 8:09 AM
And most of the blame for TOWKs inaccurate posts..

TOWK, if its any consolation, my thoughts were "oh yeah, the France peno - yeah he was definitely at fault for that"

Ha me too. I was even thinking, "oh come on Stutts, it's obvious what penalty he's talking about". :D

tetsujin1979
07/03/2017, 1:14 PM
squad to be named on Monday morning according to RTE: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0307/857753-ireland-defence/

O’Neill will name his provisional squad next Monday morning.

DannyInvincible
07/03/2017, 7:36 PM
The FAI have denied the Wales supporters' band - the Barry Horns - permission to bring their instruments into the stadium for the game on the 24th and the band naturally aren't too happy about it: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-supporters-band-told-cant-12704311

A Wales supporters’ band have been banned from taking their instruments to this month’s crunch World Cup qualifier against Ireland.

The Barry Horns, who have built up a loyal fan base and who provided much of the soundtrack to Wales’ Euro 2016 campaign , had hoped to take their instruments to the game at Dublin’s Aviva Stadium on March 24.

They were initially told that, despite being able to take their full repertoire of instruments to the various stadiums in France last summer, the 13-strong band would only be permitted to bring in one instrument.

But they say they have now been told that because of security concerns they won’t even be able to take a solitary instrument.

Wales fans have already raised concerns about the low allocation of tickets they have received from the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) for the Friday-night match against their table-topping hosts.

Now many have labelled the FAI “a disgrace” over the latest move.

And Barry Horns trumpet player, Fez, said: “It’s all gamesmanship – they are trying to do any tiny thing to tilt it in their favour.

“For them to do this now makes a mockery of the Celtic goodwill you would expect. They are trying to ruin the Welsh atmosphere – and 3,500 tickets [in the 51,700-capacity stadium] is a joke.”

The band, which was formed in 2011, has been allowed to take its instruments in games across France – including Bordeaux, Lens and Lille – as well as at England’s Wembley Stadium and Scotland’s Hampden Park.

But they have been told the Irish ban is because the instruments are a security risk.

“It’s just trying to do everything they can to make the Wales end as quiet as possible,” Fez added.

“It’s the first time they have been banned from any stadium. Maybe they’ve seen how we get the fans singing loud and proud.

“We will go out there and have a good time – it’s just a shame they have come out with this mean-spirited, running-scared paranoia.

“I am in full Kevin Keegan mode – I will love it if we beat them.”

Sounds like petty stuff from the FAI. What's the security risk posed by a couple of musical instruments exactly?

pineapple stu
07/03/2017, 7:40 PM
Is that similar to the English brass band?

Security risk? Trombone up the hole if I heard them anyway.

Good enough that they're banned.

DannyInvincible
07/03/2017, 7:46 PM
Is that similar to the English brass band?

Security risk? Trombone up the hole if I heard them anyway.

Good enough that they're banned.

Ha, I suspect they are a similar outfit. They wouldn't be my cup of tea either, but meh... What's the harm if that's what floats their boat?

pineapple stu
07/03/2017, 8:28 PM
Ah, the world has gone too soft with "What's the harm?" and "Sure let them at it"

Trombone and hole is the harm. :)

Irritating crap; well done the FAI for once.

nigel-harps1954
07/03/2017, 9:20 PM
Those brass bands are terribly annoying at games. Great move by the FAI that.

Complaining about 3,500 tickets is another laughing matter altogether. They're only due to get 2,500 under the 5% rule.

If Ireland get 2,000 tickets for the game in Cardiff that'll be the height of it.

CraftyToePoke
07/03/2017, 11:16 PM
Fully in the FAI corner here, for one brief time. Let them sing, isn't that the Welsh way anyway, the choirs and what have you ...

DeLorean
08/03/2017, 8:15 AM
Yeah, the security risk seems a petty excuse but I can't see why we would accommodate and banging atmosphere coming from their supporters. Sorry, but we have a World Cup to qualify for guys. If ye can't make enough noise with your vocal chords then tough sh!t. :)

As it is, it annoys me that we put the opposition's supporters in such a prominent spot behind the goals, if I'd my way they'd be hidden away in some corner.

BonnieShels
08/03/2017, 8:29 AM
Yeah, the security risk seems a petty excuse but I can't see why we would accommodate and banging atmosphere coming from their supporters. Sorry, but we have a World Cup to qualify for guys. If ye can't make enough noise with your vocal chords then tough sh!t. :)

As it is, it annoys me that we put the opposition's supporters in such a prominent spot behind the goals, if I'd my way they'd be hidden away in some corner.

I think if we put them in the top deck and spread them around it would be best. Like we do for the English...

DeLorean
09/03/2017, 8:29 AM
I'd seriously consider starting him [McGeady]. Is McClean's starting place in doubt? I love the guy and the passion he brings, but unfortunately he hasn't started for West Brom in months so has no real club form coming into the Wales game, despite being one of our most crucial performers so far in this campaign. McGeady may well be favoured in place of him and it would be hard to argue with such a call.

I can't see McClean not starting. It's not like he's been out in the cold at West Brom, he's comes on as first sub in most games. There's just no way O'Neill will drop a player who has basically won us four points in the last two matches, is there?

With Bale tending to drift out to the right MON will probably see McClean as a better fit to track back and help out as well. I think if he does make room for McGeady it will be at Hoolahan's expense, but I wouldn't expect that to happen.

I think the main question marks are:

Keogh or O'Shea?
Arter or Whelan?
Long or Walters? (History would suggest Walters but I think this will probably reduce Hoolahan's impact. Worse still he'll probably end up bringing on Long and taking off Hoolahan so they'd see little or no time on the pitch together. Therefore I'd start Long, but I suspect O'Neill will go with Walters).

Diggs246
09/03/2017, 12:09 PM
He could go with Long upfront, with Wes behind him. Then have Walters on the right, Hendricks and McCarthy in the Centre and one of Mclean or McGeady on the left

geysir
10/03/2017, 11:06 AM
I watched the Swansea v Burnley game the other saturday, not just to witness the latest exploits of the icelandic hero Gylfi, but there happened to be 3 Irish players on the Burnley team.
It was a sobering experience, Brady (although banned v Wales) was anonymous, as Trap might say 'little personality', same with Hendricks who added nothing of note. Wardy on the other hand hit the ground running and picked up a yellow card in 10 seconds flat, but managed to solidly plug away through some mistakes and poor positioning to give a decent account of himself. I guess that's the Bale threat scuttled.

Fortunately when the players arrive to play for us the dynamic changes and O'Neill will have them mentally prepared for this high profile game, with Roy in the background saying "lookit, it's only Wales". All the same, I think we are false favourites to win the game.

-

TheOneWhoKnocks
10/03/2017, 6:35 PM
Never mind Walters, it should be either Long and Murphy up front together or one or the other if we are going to pick our strongest team - but of course this isn't even a possibility for some reason.

Walters and Murphy didn't work against Scotland.
Walters and Long doesn't work.
Murphy and Long are both better as lone frontmen.
Murphy and Long were excellent together against Italy and France, and in addition to scoring against Serbia, Murphy put Long through twice.

And is he really a better option than McClean and McGeady out wide at this stage of his career? You would swear McClean and McGeady don't/can't track back.

What really annoys me is that you can tell the idea of dropping/rotating Walters is never even broached.

Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale being undroppable okay.

Jonathan Walters undroppable.

Jesus wept.

And you wonder why you never see Coleman having as much success driving forward and linking up at Intl level the way he does at Everton with Gerard Deulofeu or Kevin Mirallas.

TheOneWhoKnocks
10/03/2017, 6:39 PM
And IMO there would be no point in playing Hoolahan if Walters is the lone forward. It would completely negate the point of playing him.

Look at the performance in Dublin against Scotland in the last campaign.

Whelan, Hoolahan, Murphy and Walters in the same team.

One of the leggiest, leaden performances I have seen in recent memory.