PDA

View Full Version : Bohs match tomorrow::

GalwayFrancis
10/02/2005, 4:57 PM
is there anyone out there that is going to the match that would
be able to take along a camera and take some snaps, so us who
cant go to the match(due to reasons beyond their control) can
see the new players, jerseys, crowd and any new devolopments
done to terryland over the off-season. this would be great.

Terry
11/02/2005, 7:01 AM
is there anyone out there that is going to the match that would
be able to take along a camera and take some snaps, so us who
cant go to the match(due to reasons beyond their control) can
see the new players, jerseys, crowd and any new devolopments
done to terryland over the off-season. this would be great.

I'll see what I can do Francis, cant make any promises though!

GalwayFrancis
11/02/2005, 12:33 PM
I'll see what I can do Francis, cant make any promises though!

sound Terry, im sure ill see you for a pint after the harps game :D

GalwayFrancis
11/02/2005, 12:41 PM
from galwayunitedfc.ie::

KO times confirmed

United begin their preseason fixtures this Friday with a tough fixture
against Bohemians, ko is 7.30pm, admission is €5. On Saturday 19th
Feb United play another Premier side when Drogheda visit Terryland
for a 3pm ko. On Friday March 4th newly promoted Harps visit with
a 7.45pm ko. Season tickets will be on sale at the ground at all these
matches.

Matchday stewards required for Terryland

Stewards are required for United home matches. If you are interested
in stewarding at a home match then please contact Tommy Shields
@ 087 2930738.

A face
13/02/2005, 4:09 PM
So what happen at the game lads ??

Why was it called off at half time ??

GalwayFrancis
13/02/2005, 4:34 PM
So what happen at the game lads ??

Why was it called off at half time ??

wasnt at it me self, but it was called off
due to bad weather conditions. it was a
horrible night in Galway city on friday.

GalwayFrancis
13/02/2005, 4:52 PM
from galwayunitedfc.ie::

Galway United 1-1 Bohemians (Match Abdn)

Galway United's first game of 2005 came to an early end when referee Tony Kelly was forced to abandon the game at half-time due to a waterlogged pitch. Both sides produced an entertaining game in the time they played and it was evenly balanced at 1-1 when it was abandoned.

Ryan Casey nearly opened the managerial reign of Stephen Lally in style when after only one minute the left winger was sent clear on goal but saw his shot go narrowly wide of Bohs keeper Matt Gregg.

On eight minutes the new United boss got the start he did not want when the unmarked Fergal Harkin stole in down the right and calmly chipped the ball over an advancing Alan Gough. Five minutes later Bohs nearly made it two when winger Stephen Ward sent in a superb low cross that was missed by everybody.

United responded well and on 18 minutes Ryan Casey again found himself in space, this time on the left of the penalty area and he chipped the ball past the advancing Gregg, the Bohs keeper did well to get a hand to it and the ball grazed off the post and went for a corner. On 22 minutes United deservedly got back on level terms when Barry Moran received a layoff from David O'Dowd and the striker hit a 20 yard shot past a helpless Gregg. The same player nearly grabbed a second when on 42 minutes he rounded keeper Gregg but the keeper recovered well and diverted Morans shot out for a corner.

Galway United line up:
A.Gough
M.Szymanski
N.Keady
R.Frawley
N.Curran
M.Herrick
C.Fortune
R.Casey
D.O'Dowd
B.Moran
D.O'Brien

Subs

Unused subs
M.Harty
D.Cooke
D.Goldbey
J.Russell
D.Ryan

Goals:
B.Moran (22 mins)

Booked:

Sent off:

H/T: 1-1
Match abandoned at half-time

GalwayFrancis
13/02/2005, 7:40 PM
i was at it. one of the very few who were. reasonably entertaining game.nice goal for bohs.pitch's fault for galway's.bohs were the better team

roughly how many were at it?

galwaygirl
14/02/2005, 8:17 AM
roughly how many were at it?

i'd say about 150 - 170...

gufct
14/02/2005, 10:50 AM
200 we only charged Adults €5 and there were over 150 of them plus all the schoolkids that got in Free not a bad crowd for what was a miserable night and i dont know how that sligo fan could blame the Pitch for Barrys goal.United actually had more clear cut chances with Ryan and Brry missing 2 good chances.

galwaygirl
17/02/2005, 9:34 AM
bohs definitely had far more chances. moran's goal was a pass from a bohs player that just stopped dead in a puddle. disco passed to barry. goal

Well "ye're" legendary Paul McGee had a different opinion of events in the Galway Independent yesterday... :rolleyes:

http://www.galwayindependent.com/sport/2703.html

Galway United supporters were looking forward to United’s first friendly game under new boss Stephen Lally last Friday against premium big boys Bohemians, who are one of the most entertaining sides in the country. However, Monsoon Friday struck to ruin our evening’s entertainment and the game was stopped at half time, as the players would have needed flippers and goggles to continue in the second half.

The forty-five minutes that was played certainly augers well for the coming season as United held their own, drawing 1-1 against a star studded Bohemians team, and in fairness United could have been three up on chances created. From the kick off Ryan Casey latched onto a bad back pass but shot wide with only the keeper to beat. Bohs took the lead on eight minutes when United’s new left back Marcin Sxymanski failed to cut out a Gareth Farrelly through ball and the alert Fergal Harkin finished well, clipping the ball over the diving keeper Alan Gough.

The game was lively with the United twin strikeforce of David O’Dowd and Barry Moran causing Bohs all sorts of problems with their pace. It was these two who combined to equalise on 21 minutes with Barry Moran thumping O’Dowd’s lay off to the Bohs net.

The re-signing of Barry Moran’s was a major bonus to boss Steve Lally as Moran was being lured away by other clubs. He was badly treated last season and I reckon he would have been the first division’s top goal scorer if he were in the team. He has shown United great loyalty and attitude and I will definitely back him this season to be United’s top marksman.

United should win promotion this season with this squad of players as they have played together now for a number of years. The players are certainly hungry enough. I would like to see Billy Cleary don the maroon jersey again, as he is a versatile player with a winning attitude and he would have made a big impact at the end of last season when the push for promotion started to wilt.

A change of manager was vital to introduce new ideas, fresh motivation and hopefully the much-needed coaching that has clearly been absent since the departure of Don O’Riordan. Players like Moran, Russell, O’Brien, O’Dowd and Cooke have great potential and they will only realise this potential with the proper coaching and development.