PDA

View Full Version : are your songs original??

tallaghtfornia
10/02/2005, 1:34 PM
I know this may have come up b4 but are the songs sang by your own supporters original or ripped off from opposition fans??

As a rovers fan for the last 20 years or so i have heard songs made up on the terrace only for it to be copied ( mainly by bohs fans ) soon after.

I suggest we enter our songs and everyone will know were they stand.
I will start:
I was walkin down phibsboro one fine day when a bohs fan got in my,
i kicked him in the b*lls and he ran away,
we are the srfc :

KR's Post
10/02/2005, 2:36 PM
We are the team, the team from bray, we're going top win the match today, We are the team the team from bray, we're going to win the match today. Tony and Pat, Tony and Pat, Tony and Pat, Tony and Pat, X8, da,da,da,da,da,da,da,da,da,da,da!!!! To the tune of Harry and Jim... It's kind of stealing the song but ah well......

jimhacker
10/02/2005, 2:42 PM
We are the team, the team from bray, we're going top win the match today, We are the team the team from bray, we're going to win the match today. Tony and Pat, Tony and Pat, Tony and Pat, Tony and Pat, X8, da,da,da,da,da,da,da,da,da,da,da!!!! To the tune of Harry and Jim... It's kind of stealing the song but ah well......

Gawd!

tallaghtfornia
10/02/2005, 2:49 PM
let u away with that one tarzan, lookin 4ward to a few pints in the hibernia on our trip to bray this year.

here is another one 4 ye;

cuma cuma cuma cuma cuma cameelion,
we all hate bohs, we all hate bohs,
luvin is easier if your colours are like my team, hoops white and green, hoops white and green,
every day is like survival, bohs are scum not even rivals

**repeat as many times as u like**

To the tune of culture clubs cuma cameelion

**excuse the spelling**

Terry
10/02/2005, 2:49 PM
...and you'll never walk in Athlone,
you'll never walk in Athlone,
after dark after dark,
with fear in your heart,
and you'll never walk in Athlone,
you'll never walk in Athlone......

Lim till i die
10/02/2005, 3:24 PM
Theres only one Paul Finucane,
Theres only one Paul Finucane,
His uncle was great,
But hes 58,
Walkin in a Limerick wonderland

Never got much chance to sing it tho :mad:

KR's Post
10/02/2005, 3:48 PM
i fuc*in hate that tony and pat song with that awful accent. i like da athlonesong but c'mon it's athlone who gives sh*t bout em
Jeez, i didn't think it got much attenton... When did you hear us singing that???? :confused:

KR's Post
10/02/2005, 3:51 PM
let u away with that one tarzan, lookin 4ward to a few pints in the hibernia on our trip to bray this year.

here is another one 4 ye;

cuma cuma cuma cuma cuma cameelion,
we all hate bohs, we all hate bohs,
luvin is easier if your colours are like my team, hoops white and green, hoops white and green,
every day is like survival, bohs are scum not even rivals

**repeat as many times as u like**

To the tune of culture clubs cuma cameelion

**excuse the spelling**
[Or in the tune of Harry and jim.] ''We all hate bohs scum, we all hate bohs scum, we all hate bohs scum, we all hate bohs scum''. Ye the Hibo is great for after match drinks... Brilliant.

KR's Post
10/02/2005, 3:52 PM
Gawd!
!!!!!! Gotta sing something catchy..... ;)

green army
10/02/2005, 4:07 PM
please excuse my ignorance but why do rovers fans sing 'build me up buttercup just to let me down'. is it a dig at the board? :confused:

wws
10/02/2005, 4:10 PM
Here we go, here we go, here we go.....

the craic we had the day we came up with that ditty! 1st in the world to do it. FACT!

AND OF COURSE THIS GEM....tallaght!!!! tallaghtt ford - on the airton road! - OURS AND OURS ALONE!

joeraki
10/02/2005, 4:39 PM
please excuse my ignorance but why do rovers fans sing 'build me up buttercup just to let me down'. is it a dig at the board? :confused:

Or it could be something like the likes of silent night that I've heard from Rovers fans before, no meaning just weirdos. Think every club should have fans like that bar the certain group that tag along that can go a bit overboard. Apart from that I enjoy the madness that Rovers fans bring

KR's Post
10/02/2005, 4:42 PM
It goes. '' OH skippy woooh, oh skippy woooh, he comes from far away, he plays for bray..... I remember that well. Ciaran Ryan scored to beautys that day. I think we were playing sligo...!!!! Glad to see you went. Don't get many away fans while in the first division.... Tony and paa??!! ah well thats us!!!! ;) ;) Don't mind the gormley quote it must have been a joke you caught at the last minute!!!!!!

Passive
10/02/2005, 5:14 PM

Why do you build me up
just to let me down
and mess me around
And worst of all
You never call baby when you say you will
But I love you still
I need you (I need you)
More than anyone darling
And you know that I have from the start
So build me up (build me up)
Buttercup, don't break my heart

Never has a song summed up Rovers and its supporters better.

1 9 2 8
10/02/2005, 6:20 PM
I think we're the only one who sing this

We were born in the Showgrounds,
We were born in the Showgrounds.
Well knife's are meant for stabbing and gun's are meant to shoot
And went you come down to the Showgrounds you're gonna get the boot.
Cause we were born in the Showgrounds,
We were born in the Showgrounds.

BohDiddley
10/02/2005, 7:46 PM
I know this may have come up b4 but are the songs sang by your own supporters original or ripped off from opposition fans??

As a rovers fan for the last 20 years or so i have heard songs made up on the terrace only for it to be copied ( mainly by bohs fans ) soon after.

I suggest we enter our songs and everyone will know were they stand.
I will start:
I was walkin down phibsboro one fine day when a bohs fan got in my,
i kicked him in the b*lls and he ran away,
we are the srfc :
And you're proud of that?

Dr.Nightdub
10/02/2005, 8:41 PM
We have one popularly known as "the Army Song", cos it's based on the call-and-response type thing the recruits do in "Full Metal Jacket":

I don't know but I been told
(I don't know but I been told)
Rovers had a ground, it was sold
(Rovers had a ground, it was sold)

How long they been a-wanderin' round?
Seventeen years without a ground

Thought they were going to D24?
Well they're not f***in' stayin' in Inchicore

Havin' no home is such a bitch,
Tallaght's gonna be a bogball pitch.

Second verse will need updating, obviously. There were also remixes dealing with Bohs, Shels, Derry and Cork but the transfers of Crowe / Ryan / Hawkins and the retirement of Liam Coyle have rendered two of those redundant.

tallaghtfornia
11/02/2005, 8:32 AM

it is a go at the board but shows that we will always support our players no matter what,

tallaghtfornia
11/02/2005, 8:36 AM
Or it could be something like the likes of silent night that I've heard from Rovers fans before, no meaning just weirdos. Think every club should have fans like that bar the certain group that tag along that can go a bit overboard. Apart from that I enjoy the madness that Rovers fans bring

thanks joeraki, nice too see someone big enough to compliment rovers fans, happens once in a blue moon. to be honest i think the atmosphere in the league has improved but all things bein equal rovers are by far the loudest, most humourous and passionate supporters out there

ConfusedBlue
11/02/2005, 11:51 AM
Stephen Kenny said to Liam Buckley,
Have you heard about the Shed in Cork City?
No said Liam I Don't think so
But I heard about the Boys In Block E!!

In deference to the vocal section(I know I'm leaving myself wide open here) in the RSC.
One of the best was made redundant though with a certain Dave Whittle's return to junior league football!!!!

To the tune of Yellow Submarine-
In the town where I was born,lived a man with a monkeys head
And he played for Kilkenny,with his ugly monkeys head!!
Ohh David Whittle has an ugly monkeys head,an ugly monkeys head,an ugly monkeys head,
Ohh David Whittle has an ugly monkeys head,an ugly monkeys head,an ugly monkeys head
And so on....................

A face
11/02/2005, 12:54 PM
We've got Dolanio
You nick car stereos
We've got John O'Flynn
You're on herion

Roo69
11/02/2005, 1:12 PM
i won't say who bray were playing in the match but ye won 4-0 at the start of the season. i was in yer shed and overheard one yer fans sayin eddie gormley had a great footballin brain. ya rite! no brain at all jus walks around kickin wateva gets in his way, if it's a football, brilliant! normally it's opposition players. also had to listen to tony& paaa tony & paaa.&that "skippy he comes from far away he plays for brayayay......."

Well sure ya wont have to worry about that this coming season will you now.

SligoRoversfan
12/02/2005, 3:13 PM
Well sure ya wont have to worry about that this coming season will you now.

we will next season though!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p

sligoman
12/02/2005, 4:14 PM
Well knife's are meant for stabbing and gun's are meant to shoot

I say you meant where knives are meant etc.

And also:

And went you come down to the Showgrounds you're gonna get the boot.

and when you come down to the showgrounds. Not been smart just wanted to let you know. :)

1 9 2 8
12/02/2005, 5:05 PM
Thanks sligoman for correcting my grammar :D

sligoman
12/02/2005, 5:13 PM
Thanks sligoman for correcting my grammar :D

No Problem ;) , anytime :D

SligoRoversfan
13/02/2005, 3:51 PM
is it not 'OUR knives are made for stabbing.............'?

Clones Road Cas
15/02/2005, 1:21 PM
Ehh Hmm... Clears Throat

ALL BY Myself

Dont Wanna Be All By Myself

Aside from that we occasionally sing my lovely horse to the inhabitants of our local field.

We dont sing much. We find it a bit girlish. We reward our players endeavours by paying their wages, i know its a novel approach in the north east, but we've found they appreciate it.

pineapple stu
15/02/2005, 1:28 PM
Not been smart just wanted to let you know. :)
Not being smart, just wanted to let you know!

Couldn't let you away with that! :)

Macy
15/02/2005, 1:56 PM
few of those bástardised English songs....

The Sligo one is a adaptation of "I was born in the Stretford End" at the very least - pretty sure there's other clubs in England with virtually the same lines.

The Waterford one is a version of "Bertie Mee said to Matt Busby" (have you heard of the North Bank Highbury, No said Matt, You Cóckney Twát, but I've heard of the Stretford Enders)

The Cork one I'm pretty sure is a Leeds one for Dominic Matteo...

sligoman
15/02/2005, 6:08 PM
Not being smart, just wanted to let you know!

Couldn't let you away with that! :)

Thanks for that ;) , :D :D

Slash/ED
15/02/2005, 6:16 PM
I think our Indian War Cry is original, have never heard it by anyone else anyway.

Singing "Moore, Moore, Moore, how do you like it? how do you like it?" was ours but I heard some English side singing it over the weekend. And our Ndo chant, which is just his name to that rocking all over the world song, sounds class btw, I'm pretty sure that's original.

Oh and we also started the "there's only one" chants ;)

1 9 2 8
15/02/2005, 9:41 PM
The Sligo one is a adaptation of "I was born in the Stretford End" at the very least - pretty sure there's other clubs in England with virtually the same lines
Nah they copied us :D

Dr.Nightdub
15/02/2005, 11:14 PM
I think our Indian War Cry is original, have never heard it by anyone else anyway.

There's a reason for that! :rolleyes: