PDA

View Full Version : 'The Sun' let off lightly

Shelsman
10/02/2005, 12:49 PM
For anyone following the news, I think 'The Sun' being let off with only a €100,000 fine for the collapse of a (triple) murder case is very lenient. What about

1. The course of justice
2. The family of the victim
3. Letting ( suspect/possible ) murderers walk the streets

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0208/sun.html

Surely there should be a harsher punishment ( e.g. prison sentence ), this is surely the obstruction of justice at it's worst? If someone interefered with the case in some other way they would be sent to jail.

Bald Student
10/02/2005, 1:27 PM
I agree, there seems to be no punishment of the paper. They were only made to pay for the cost of the aborted trial i.e. paying for the damage they caused. I think that any fine should be on top of that, not including it.

patsh
10/02/2005, 1:44 PM
Ths is just another low in a worrying trend in this country. If we seriously want to stop the advance of the worst of English Tabloid journalism, a stiff custodial sentence for one of the editors of the "Oirish" versions needs to happen fairly soon.

The editor here should have gotten at least a 3 to 6 month setence for contempt. Then others might have thought twice in future.

SÓC
10/02/2005, 1:55 PM
I just dont see how people buy these rags?

Remember a few years ago when IRA Volunteers (that is the IRA Volunteers from the War of Indp.now, not some lot of bank robbers/ NI Assembly members) were being reburied they carryed a story about how it the Irish State glorifying terrorist killers in their English edition but their Irish Edition had something along the lines of 'Hero's Reburied'.