PDA

View Full Version : Referees

backodanet
10/02/2005, 1:21 PM
Just ondering what yee think

Are the numbers of refs falling off in your leagues as the are in limerick?

would you be one?

what will happen if the numbers keep falling away?

Pauliwallnuts
10/02/2005, 1:58 PM
Well the quality of referees is definately falling off. There seems to be enough to keep everything going in the Clare League at the moment but that takes into account that most refs will ref maybe two matches each Sunday.

You can never have enough referees.

The quality though of some of the referees is beyond a joke. Alot of them are too old & seem to have chips on their shoulders. Alot seem biased towards certain teams as well. I know I'm being critical of them but I've seen enough bad decisions to give me reason to be.

To be fair to them it is a difficult job at the best of times. The amount of grief they get is unbelievable & you need to be a certain type of person to put up with it. I know I'd never be a referee & I think alot of people think the same & thats why you don't have people jumping over backwards at the thought of earning a measly amount for getting a pile of sh1t each Sunday.

I read an article at the start of the season in the Limerick Leader begging people to become refs. Wonder if it had any effect.

I know one guy who has quit the game & become a ref in the last year. I think he's about 30 & straight away he's the best refs I've seen in a couple of years. These are the type of people that need to be enticed into becoming referees.

Goals4fun
10/02/2005, 2:05 PM
Some of the ref's in town should fall away altogether as most are crap !

Seriously though , more need to be sought but it is a thankless job due to not being able to see everything. Would linesmen sort the problem out ?
I would only ref schoolboys as the grief would not be as bad and there would not be much chance of being sought after in bars in town.

I think one of the problems is that of control, it is far too easy for ref's to lose control of games .

I don't think this wil ever be sorted !!

cleansheetagain
10/02/2005, 2:40 PM
Some of the ref's in town should fall away altogether as most are crap !

Seriously though , more need to be sought but it is a thankless job due to not being able to see everything. Would linesmen sort the problem out ?
I would only ref schoolboys as the grief would not be as bad and there would not be much chance of being sought after in bars in town.

I think one of the problems is that of control, it is far too easy for ref's to lose control of games .

I don't think this wil ever be sorted !!
linesmen or asst/refs as they are now known would help at least for the proven tough or high profile games,i agree they do get alot of crap but its a very competitive game now and people get frustrated but 99% of players leave it on the field shake hands and laugh, personely i think if at times they would admit a blatent mistake it would calm a situation

Goals4fun
10/02/2005, 3:13 PM
but 99% of players leave it on the field shake hands and laugh,

Unfortunately the minority (1%) is enough for me to think or refereeing !

drummerboy
10/02/2005, 3:25 PM
There is a big problem in the LSL with a shortage, especiall in the Saturday leagues. I think there is about 10 saturday leaues in LSL, with about 14 teams in each league. Each weekend a particular league is cancelled due to no referees. They have problems attracting new referees. This is due to a number of things, one being abuse from players and managers. Another reason is over-35s football. Players who would have gone into refereeing when they reached mid-30 are now playing in this selfish league and not putting anything back into the game. This is another reason why clubs struggle to find committee members and people willing to manage schoolboy clubs. Oul lads want to play themselves and then go to the boozer. Another reason, of course, is that a lot of men are now pussy-whipped and arn't allowed get involved. An interesting development in Dublin recently has been the introduction of Romanian and East European refs, some very good.

Pauliwallnuts
10/02/2005, 4:54 PM
Another reason, of course, is that a lot of men are now pussy-whipped and arn't allowed get involved.
:D :D :D

Classic line mate thats given me a good laugh !!!

oldspice
11/02/2005, 8:20 AM
No reason to laugh Pauliwallnuts .... as you'll discover yourself!!!!!

cleansheetagain
18/02/2005, 3:04 PM
tought the 3 clare officiels done realy well on sunday and are a credit to the clare league refs,mr cullan used his asst/refs very well and they gave him as much suport well done

guvnor
18/02/2005, 3:28 PM
tought the 3 clare officiels done realy well on sunday and are a credit to the clare league refs,mr cullan used his asst/refs very well and they gave him as much suport well done

Couldnt agree more - i thought Pat Cullen did a great job - step up from most refs in limk

sullanefc
19/02/2005, 9:40 PM
Saw on the West Cork League website that there is a big shortage of referees. Seems to be a problem everywhere.

Thunderblaster
10/03/2005, 9:16 PM
Look at Connacht, there is a referee shortage in each of the four leagues in the province. It is not an isolated problem, it is a nationwide issue. How many of you have ever heard of associate referees? They are referees that can remain affiliated to their own club and referee games where there are no official referees. They are mainly used in underage football. Willie Bradley from Sligo who is the regional referee's assesor for the ISRS is a key backer of this. :ball:

Ask me tom
11/03/2005, 2:47 PM
the idea of asst/referee`s does help in games as all the focus isn`t on one man but the problem is as ye said lack of referee`s so if you have 3 officials at each game then thersless to go around making things worse again

stojkovic
11/03/2005, 4:18 PM
There is a big problem in the LSL with a shortage, especiall in the Saturday leagues. I think there is about 10 saturday leaues in LSL, with about 14 teams in each league. Each weekend a particular league is cancelled due to no referees. They have problems attracting new referees. This is due to a number of things, one being abuse from players and managers. Another reason is over-35s football. Players who would have gone into refereeing when they reached mid-30 are now playing in this selfish league and not putting anything back into the game. This is another reason why clubs struggle to find committee members and people willing to manage schoolboy clubs. Oul lads want to play themselves and then go to the boozer. Another reason, of course, is that a lot of men are now pussy-whipped and arn't allowed get involved. An interesting development in Dublin recently has been the introduction of Romanian and East European refs, some very good.I agree and in most cases these guys are ex-pros who played back home. They are very good and let things go. They don't take any sh1t off the players but at the same time they dont dish out cards for silly things. They have a quiet word (in broken english) and tell you to get on with it. Some Irish refs are like school teachers and sent you off if you look at them funny. Having said that, it is a thankless job and they should get better paid. Personally I like to have a bit of good natured banter with them with a quiet word after (Rijkaard style) to clarify a decision. It usually works. Show respect and you get it back.