PDA

View Full Version : Really annoys me

Pages : [1] 2

eirebhoy
10/02/2005, 12:17 PM
A couple of quotes from the soccer forum on boards.ie:

United have been there done that. Chelsea as a team haven't- there are some players that have won cups but how many have actually won a tough run in to a league? Oh for the Landsdowne road pitch to take its toll on Duff, he must be due an injury now.

Well, after that [Duff's] tackle on Ronaldo, I wanted him to get injured, but I'm just vindictive :)

Did the match kick off early? I was watching the england game,and flicked over at quarter to 8 but it was already about 20 minutes into it [Would have been no more than 10 minutes in]. Annoyed me,cos on the "more info" thing on ntl,it said kick off wasnt till 8:05. I didnt bother watchin it then,thought id wait til tv3 but now i cant really be arsed :D

OK, we're all posting on this forum for a reason, we are actual supporters of the Ireland team. Boards.ie will show you the view of a lot of Irish people who support English teams (its ok to support an English team as long as Ireland comes first).

I thought the Cork fans choosing Cork over Ireland was a bit weird but for someone to support a team in another country over their own national team is a bit more than weird. Cork fans are supporting a team in their own town and go to see them play week in week out, putting money into the team and feeling part of the "club". Most Irish Man U fans don't even live in Manchester, never mind come from there, but still can put the club they support ahead of their country.

I made a point in the Ireland - Portugal thread on boards.ie that the Community Shield thread had twice as many posts in it as the Ireland game last night. I've been looking on BBC 606 club boards and you'd be doing well to see any posts not related to the England match last night.

There is no equivelent to this imo. There are a load of English club football fans in somewhere like Denmark but you're having a laugh if you think they would want a Danish player injured because he made a cynical tackle on a player from the club he supports. You'd also be doing well to see a Dutch or English person watching the Ireland match when their own country is playing.

It really annoys me and it can only get worse.

NeilMcD
10/02/2005, 12:24 PM
Sounds like a moron to me to be honest Dont get annoyed by fools like him.

eirebhoy
10/02/2005, 12:47 PM
Sounds like a moron to me to be honest Dont get annoyed by fools like him.
Thats quotes from 3 seperate people mate. There's plenty just like them on that forum too.

Slash/ED
10/02/2005, 12:49 PM
It's not overly suprising, espically from Irish Man U fans. Alot of them would choose club over country and for the English, Manchester based ones I can understand that but it defies logic for the Irish ones with no connection to the team who have probably never even been inside Old Trafford. There were people around me last night who seemed to go just to cheer on Ronaldo.

eirebhoy
10/02/2005, 1:08 PM
All these quotes are actually from Man U fans. Here's another:

One suit in front of me, wearing a United bobble hat was rubbing his hands with glee when Duff took him down that time. These people have no clue.

Fair play to that man, country should come before foreign club.

Why?

piratemousey
10/02/2005, 1:18 PM
i will deffinatley support cork city over ireland.
the reasons are personal, i cant relate to that crowd.

Schumi
10/02/2005, 1:29 PM
I'd expect nothing better from barstool fools.

SÓC
10/02/2005, 1:45 PM
Cork City over Ireland? You need your head read. Green blood in my veins pal, don't know about yours?

City over Rep. of Ireland team anyday.

Im still a huge fan of the national team, go to all the games but if it came down to it and I had to pick one it would be City. I'd most the majority of City/eL fans would be the same

gspain
10/02/2005, 1:57 PM
No problem with the Cork City or Shelbourne or Finn Harps over Ireland brigade. I actually don't really see a conflict although obviously choices must be made re cash for away trips or even home games.

Now Manyoo Chelski et al is a different matter. i can't understand it.

SÓC
10/02/2005, 2:12 PM
but then again you guys are the real fans who invented the game and were following eL clubs when Jesus was doing his Inter Cert. :D

Now where did I claim any of that...:rolleyes:

Just telling you of my own choice and that of many others, not saying it is anymore valid that yours something which you are doing.

Everytime you point a finger 3 of your own point back at you.

With that kind of attitude,these sort of people are no great loss to the national team & they have the nerve to call Dubs.arrogant!
Oh the irony:rolleyes:

So Im no loss even though I go to all the games? Are you a better Ireland fan than me so Davros?

pete
10/02/2005, 2:27 PM
I can completely understand why people choose a club team over national team - you have connection to club team week in week out whereas national team barely play once a month on average. However i still don't understand how can have an obcession about a club you may visit once or twice a season - i would find it strange for Donegal person to support Cork City if they only made it to Cork once or twice a year.

In Scandanavian countries they obcessed with English football but are also passionate about their National league.

IMO there are not that many true supporters of english teams in this country. Most come across as complete barstoolers who would never attend any match. I think the true category of english football supporters also attends sport within this island.

tiktok
10/02/2005, 3:00 PM
That says more about Cork City fans than it does about the rest of us. There can be no greater thrill in life than watching Ireland take other countries apart.

The FAI scheduled the Ireland -v- China Home international to clash with the Setanta cup game CCFC -v- Shels. The latter is now changed, but I know which ground I would have been at if there's been a clash. (The X btw)

By in large though, the choice doesn't have to be made, and I don;t think my supporting CCFC dilutes my supporting the national team in the slightest.

Any Irishman who would wish an injury on Duff so that Chelsea's run-in would be made harder than United's though is an idiot. You can quote me on that!

Closed Account 2
10/02/2005, 3:05 PM
I dont have a problem with people supporting a club more than they support their country (although I myself support Ireland more than I support Tranmere), as usually a conflict of interest is very unlikely to happen. But I think its wrong for Irish (national team) fans wanting an Irish player to get injured because it might benefit their club... IMO they cant really support Ireland if they want players like Duff to pick up injuries.

Fergie's Son
10/02/2005, 3:22 PM
As a rule of thumb, ignore people from Cork. They are arm-chair revolutionaries as ever there were. Ah shur go on now, the independent republik of Cork....any more subsidies from the EU now there boy?

I've been a Man. U. fan since 1980. Had a cousin play for them and have seen more than 30 games at Old Trafford. Absolutely love the team.

I'd rather see Chelsea win the league by 20 points while beating Man. U. by 5 goals than to see Duff injured. As much as I love United, my heart is with Ireland. I'd rather see Ireland qualify for every major tournament for the rest of my life than see United ever win another title.

Anyone who thinks differently isn't an Irish fan.

Stuttgart88
10/02/2005, 3:34 PM
Well said. I think you'll find the vast majority of us on this board would agree.

IsMiseSean
10/02/2005, 10:48 PM
I kinda support Chelsea, when chelsea played Tottenham in september (i think) I has hoping Keano stick one in the back of the net, I didnt want spurs to win I just wanted Keano to score. I dont know if I can be labelled a Chelsea fan :confused:

I'd never support club over country, I just wouldn't feel Irish

BobbySands
11/02/2005, 2:01 AM
The cork over Ireland thing is nonsense. Just a bunch of eejits copying the english/scottish thing where the "big club" mentality sometimes comes before country.

1MickCollins
11/02/2005, 2:35 AM
As a rule of thumb, ignore people from Cork. They are arm-chair revolutionaries as ever there were. Ah shur go on now, the independent republik of Cork....any more subsidies from the EU now there boy?

I've been a Man. U. fan since 1980. Had a cousin play for them and have seen more than 30 games at Old Trafford. Absolutely love the team.

I'd rather see Chelsea win the league by 20 points while beating Man. U. by 5 goals than to see Duff injured. As much as I love United, my heart is with Ireland. I'd rather see Ireland qualify for every major tournament for the rest of my life than see United ever win another title.

I don't think anyone who would want to see any player injured is a sports fan full stop, or knows what the purpose of sport is. No need for all these hypothetical club versus country scenarios, next thing you will be cutting off your nuts to prove you love Ireland! :eek:

We Corkmen by the way exist on a higher plane of consciousness, feel free to envy. :)

razor
11/02/2005, 8:56 AM
Certain people on here seem obsessed with knocking their country,over some tinpot team.....if they want to exclusively support them,fine!
Now now, leave Norn Iron out of it.

my issue is with 'exclusively parochial' clowns,who then come on here & moan who should/shouldn't support Ireland,FFS! :mad:
We've covered all this ground 20 times before. As with everything else its all a matter of personal taste. Each to their own.

Fergie's Son
11/02/2005, 3:08 PM
I don't think anyone who would want to see any player injured is a sports fan full stop, or knows what the purpose of sport is. No need for all these hypothetical club versus country scenarios, next thing you will be cutting off your nuts to prove you love Ireland! :eek:

We Corkmen by the way exist on a higher plane of consciousness, feel free to envy. :)

Higher plane of consciousness? So that's your euphemism for being a raging alcoholic :)

Just teasing.

Colm
11/02/2005, 3:15 PM
I was in the South Terrace for the game on Wednesday and for the first time I can remember I wanted to leave the match early such was the level of muppetry around me.
One fella next to me said "it would be nice for Ronaldo to get an auld goal tonight" and his mates all agreed. These clowns actually wanted Ronaldo to score against Ireland!
Then half the people in the South Terrace wet themselves when McGeady came on. Celtic loving idiots!
I fcuked off about 10 minutes from the end because I couldn't handle listening to these ignorant queen loving fools any longer!
I just hope that our tickets will be for the North Terrace in future as was always the case before.

Pablo
11/02/2005, 3:36 PM
I was in the South Terrace for the game on Wednesday and for the first time I can remember I wanted to leave the match early such was the level of muppetry around me.
One fella next to me said "it would be nice for Ronaldo to get an auld goal tonight" and his mates all agreed. These clowns actually wanted Ronaldo to score against Ireland!
Then half the people in the South Terrace wet themselves when McGeady came on. Celtic loving idiots!
I fcuked off about 10 minutes from the end because I couldn't handle listening to these ignorant queen loving fools any longer!
I just hope that our tickets will be for the North Terrace in future as was always the case before.

Couldn't agree more. i was surrounded by Man Utd jackets and hats. and dont get me started on Celtic. i thought i was in Celtic Park at one stage.

A sobering expierience

Colm
11/02/2005, 3:43 PM
A sobering expierience

The sobriety didn't last long once we hit town afterwards though! :D

Pablo
11/02/2005, 3:46 PM
The sobriety didn't last long once we hit town afterwards though! :D

It was well needed i can tell you. i was gutted at the crowd during the match.

Might give up my ticket allocation to be honest. i just cant relate to that

dancinpants
11/02/2005, 3:50 PM
If i could get to the games, I'd take City before Ireland. Lets face it Ireland is made up of 2,3 and 4G heads who are only playing for us not because it was their 1st choice but their ONLY choice. Then ye have to listen to lads pull the old patriotic crap, its FOOTBALL ffs!!!

Colm
11/02/2005, 3:52 PM
Might give up my ticket allocation to be honest. i just cant relate to that

I wouldn't go that far, hopefully we'll be back on the North Terrace with the Irish people next time.
The South Terrace is British territory and as long as I can still go to the matches without having to listen to those clowns worshiping the Celtic, Man U and the Queen I won't be giving up my allocation.

It's the Queen lovers who shouldn't be at Ireland games, not us.

pete
11/02/2005, 3:55 PM
North v South Terrace is a bit like North v South Dubland. Lot of West Brits on the south side.

I've always preferred the North side terrace cos easier to get in & out plus never as crowed & seems to be protected from the rain more. I was centre top side of south terrace & wasn't many $eltic or Premiersh!t bar stoolers nearby.

Schumi
11/02/2005, 3:58 PM
North side terrace ... seems to be protected from the rain more.
It wasn't on Wednesday!

Pat O' Banton
11/02/2005, 4:07 PM
If i could get to the games, I'd take City before Ireland. Lets face it Ireland is made up of 2,3 and 4G heads who are only playing for us not because it was their 1st choice but their ONLY choice.

... and the award for the Patrick J post of February goes to...

Kilbane, Breen didn't want to play for Ireland? That's news to me and possibly them! Ireland's problem of immigration is hardly the fault of many of those who suffered from it. At least by representing Ireland they are doing something to reinforce a link that many their parents or grandparents felt and often handed down to other generations. In the words of Shane McGowan it enables their family to continue to 'celebrate a land that makes them refugees.'

As for getting excited about McGeady coming on, who would of thought it Ireland fans being pleased to see an outstanding prospect coming on the pitch, terrible.

As for the rest of the Celtic trolling, pretty poor attempt by you boys this time, I'd give it a C- with 'must try harder'

dancinpants
11/02/2005, 6:20 PM
... and the award for the Patrick J post of February goes to...

Kilbane, Breen didn't want to play for Ireland? That's news to me and possibly them! Ireland's problem of immigration is hardly the fault of many of those who suffered from it. At least by representing Ireland they are doing something to reinforce a link that many their parents or grandparents felt and often handed down to other generations. In the words of Shane McGowan it enables their family to continue to 'celebrate a land that makes them refugees.'

As for getting excited about McGeady coming on, who would of thought it Ireland fans being pleased to see an outstanding prospect coming on the pitch, terrible.

As for the rest of the Celtic trolling, pretty poor attempt by you boys this time, I'd give it a C- with 'must try harder'

And biggest catch of the day goes to..... :D

TheJamaicanP.M.
13/02/2005, 9:31 PM

Great post. Any genuine Irish football fan would never put a British industry before their own country.

sylvo
13/02/2005, 11:17 PM
If i could get to the games, I'd take City before Ireland. Lets face it Ireland is made up of 2,3 and 4G heads who are only playing for us not because it was their 1st choice but their ONLY choice. Then ye have to listen to lads pull the old patriotic crap, its FOOTBALL ffs!!!

Fair play to yer dancinpants for coming out with the best load of old cojones i've read on here in a while. I'm 2g been to over 86 senior internationals, and have never lived in Ireland, if we were to go by Fifa rules on international teams we could say that you should be a supporter of Norn Iron seeing that you are a Derry man (not that I recognise the osc), I would expect some old s**te from some of these lads who have never learned about anything other then the FREE STATE, but from someone from the OSC you should have a bit more cop on, fcek off and play with yer crayons.

Pablo
14/02/2005, 1:45 PM

i would suggest to you that if you were a true fan of Irish football you'd support your local team, whoever that may be.

Building the game from grass roots up throught the eircom league and on to the national team will make us stronger.

Just in the same way buying Britttish Club jerseys make their football stronger

WeAreRovers
14/02/2005, 1:54 PM
Green blood in my veins pal, don't know about yours?

Same here - Shamrock Rovers FC. Club over country everytime. Nothing could ever compare to watching Rovers win away in Europe. Mind you if Ireland were playing in my back garden I'd close the curtains. ;)

KOH

NeilMcD
14/02/2005, 1:59 PM
Remember not everybody has a local team, and to them the national team is their local team.

tiktok
14/02/2005, 2:02 PM
Green blood in my veins pal, don't know about yours?
Same here - Shamrock Rovers FC. Club over country everytime. Nothing could ever compare to watching Rovers win away in Europe. Mind you if Ireland were playing in my back garden I'd close the curtains. ;)

KOH

Here WAR, in that case wouldn't yours be green and white, I guess it'd looked like aquafresh with the freshmint stripe or something :D

Pablo
14/02/2005, 2:06 PM
Remember not everybody has a local team, and to them the national team is their local team.

No matter where you are on this island theres a team within a short distance. that just stands to reason.

Its like giving your kids away because you'd prefer an english baby. sad. and i can't belive people cannot or will not see that

NeilMcD
14/02/2005, 2:10 PM
Rubbish, I grew up in west clare after movind down from Dublin. I have no affinity with any team, Limerick woudl be the nearest to me when I was ilving in clare, but as i was a teenager I had no way of getting to them. NOw that I live in dublin. it would seem mad to me to radomly pick a team out of a hat just to suport. YOu can jsut support a team caused you decide to you have to haev a feel for the club etc. ITs fine if you lived in Cork and you grew up supporting Cork City.

Pablo
14/02/2005, 2:13 PM
Rubbish, I grew up in west clare after movind down from Dublin. I have no affinity with any team, Limerick woudl be the nearest to me when I was ilving in clare, but as i was a teenager I had no way of getting to them. NOw that I live in dublin. it would seem mad to me to radomly pick a team out of a hat just to suport. YOu can jsut support a team caused you decide to you have to haev a feel for the club etc. ITs fine if you lived in Cork and you grew up supporting Cork City.

Theres 3 lads on the forum from Ennis that support Cork City. i know one from Tipp and one fron Kerry.

They made a decision to go out of their way to support Irish football instead of taking the easy bar stool way out.

i salute every one of them

Pablo
14/02/2005, 2:15 PM

and by the way....you have an affinity with an english team do you? :confused:

NeilMcD
14/02/2005, 2:23 PM
Would u haev said the same if they supported a Dublin team rather than Cork City. I have no affinity with anything to do with Cork so not going to support any of them teams. IN fact I find that some people from Cork are a bit self righteous. There are others that are dead sound so I would not make a generalisation there. But this idea that you have to support a league of IReland team to be a true football supporter is deeply flawed. It is possible to just support your National Team as that is the team that represents you the best. I dont feel any affinity with any other team. It woudl be very unatural for me to suddenly adopt a team just to fit in with someone elses idea of a true supporter. I do go along to league of Ireland games as a spectator rather than a supporter. If I was looking out for a result it would be Bohs the same as I would look out for SPurs results too, It does not bother me eitehr way if Bohs get beaten or if Spurs get beaten, my mood does not chaneg. However if Ireland gets beaten , it woudl have an effect on my mood for that day or the week or whatever. I travel home and away to watch ireland so woudl consider myself a supporter of the irish Football team. There are plenty of people like me that travel to support Ireland and indeed there are those in Scotland that do the same. People who support their national team rather than any club team.

To draw an analogy with music,

I support local music, i go to gigs in ireland by irish artist who are with labels and who do not have record contracts.

However I would not dis somebody for supporting an international band and going to there gigs etc.

If we take that music and sport are both expressions of a nations culture and entertainment at the same time, I think the analogy is fair. The question that has to go out to every LOI fan that has the same attitude that you have is, do u listen to foreign music, or do u only listend to indigenous acts and go to gigs by irish bands. Before i get criticised. I like the League of Ireand and attend games, however I do not think that I have to support a team so i can become a real supporter

Pablo
14/02/2005, 2:26 PM
Would u haev said the same if they supported a Dublin team rather than Cork City. I have no affinity with anything to do with Cork so not going to support any of them teams. IN fact I find that some people from Cork are a bit self righteous. There are others that are dead sound so I would not make a generalisation there. But this idea that you have to support a league of IReland team to be a true football supporter is deeply flawed. It is possible to just support your National Team as that is the team that represents you the best. I dont feel any affinity with any other team. It woudl be very unatural for me to suddenly adopt a team just to fit in with someone elses idea of a true supporter. I do go along to league of Ireland games as a spectator rather than a supporter. If I was looking out for a result it would be Bohs the same as I would look out for SPurs results too, It does not bother me eitehr way if Bohs get beaten or if Spurs get beaten, my mood does not chaneg. However if Ireland gets beaten , it woudl have an effect on my mood for that day or the week or whatever. I travel home and away to watch ireland so woudl consider myself a supporter of the irish Football team. There are plenty of people like me that travel to support Ireland and indeed there are those in Scotland that do the same. People who support their national team rather than any club team.

To draw an analogy with music,

I support local music, i go to gigs in ireland by irish artist who are with labels and who do not have record contracts.

However I would not dis somebody for supporting an international band and going to there gigs etc.

If we take that music and sport are both expressions of a nations culture and entertainment at the same time, I think the analogy is fair. The question that has to go out to every LOI fan that has the same attitude that you have is, do u listen to foreign music, or do u only listend to indigenous acts and go to gigs by irish bands. Before i get criticised. I like the League of Ireand and attend games, however I do not think that I have to support a team so i can become a real supporter

you attend games. therefore you support the local game. thats the way it should be.

Thats all i'm getting at. support our own.

tiktok
14/02/2005, 2:55 PM
No matter where you are on this island theres a team within a short distance. that just stands to reason.

That's simply not true Pablo, and deep down you know that.
The lads from Tipp, Clare and Kerry that you know who support City are definitely the exception rather than the rule, I'll even hazard a guess that they got into CCFC as college students in UCC or CIT?

When you're a kid growing up, EPL is accessible, albeit through Television, it dominates TV and print media and if you grow up in Clare, Kerry, Tipperary, Wexford, Mayo, :o or any other county which has a high football playing population but no EL team, you're hardly going to start supporting a team from another county (especially with the partizan nature the GAA ingrains in us all) who you have no access to.

What's a ten year old from Dingle who plays football every weekend going to do, latch onto Chelsea like his friends are, or get his parents to let him stay up until 11.30 on Monday nights to watch p1ss poor coverage or a poorly marketed league.
The kid probably doesn't even know we HAVE a National League ffs, any Irish international he sees at Landsdowne, he can watch on the Premiership, Saturdays in prime viewing hours.

elroy
14/02/2005, 3:04 PM
Roy Keane has said before he considers himself a corkionian first and an irishman second!!!

strangeirish
14/02/2005, 3:16 PM
Roy Keane has said before he considers himself a corkionian first and an irishman second!!!

Yeh, I think he said it to Mick McCarthy :eek:

gustavo
14/02/2005, 3:33 PM
Sligo or any other county which has a high football playing population but no EL team

ahem.

:)

tiktok
14/02/2005, 3:34 PM
ahem.:)

Humblest apologies, mid-rant mistake, will be edited immediately :o

dancinpants
14/02/2005, 7:18 PM
Fair play to yer dancinpants for coming out with the best load of old cojones i've read on here in a while. I'm 2g been to over 86 senior internationals, and have never lived in Ireland, if we were to go by Fifa rules on international teams we could say that you should be a supporter of Norn Iron seeing that you are a Derry man (not that I recognise the osc), I would expect some old s**te from some of these lads who have never learned about anything other then the FREE STATE, but from someone from the OSC you should have a bit more cop on, fcek off and play with yer crayons.

Sylvo what a tw@t you seem to be...do the words "rod out, bait set" mean anything to you? Was my reply to Pat O'Banton not a big enough hint for ye?. And wow you've been to 86 senior internationals - did you have to count yer ticket stub and programme collection to embibe us with that fantastic piece of trivia?. :rolleyes:

sylvo
14/02/2005, 9:22 PM
Sylvo what a tw@t you seem to be...do the words "rod out, bait set" mean anything to you? Was my reply to Pat O'Banton not a big enough hint for ye?. And wow you've been to 86 senior internationals - did you have to count yer ticket stub and programme collection to embibe us with that fantastic piece of trivia?. :rolleyes:

Oh dear, i'm shocked that the you've been framed camera's are not all around us now after your wind up. :rolleyes: Yer not the first person to try and wind us up about this subject and i'm sure you won't be the last, so I don't bother anymore with trying to sort out who's on a wind up or who is just plain thick on the subject every pr**k gets pretty much told to fcek off who start on about 2g's and how Ireland is a 2nd choice.

Funny enough I do keep ticket stubs from all the matches I go to and a souviner of the match and have paid my money like everyother fan to follow my national team so I ain't having no fcuking smart@rse no matter how funny they are talking sh**e about how people like us would rather be following the fortunes of Engurrlund. Anyway i'll let you get back to yer crayons.

hamish
11/06/2005, 10:21 AM
Theres 3 lads on the forum from Ennis that support Cork City. i know one from Tipp and one fron Kerry.

They made a decision to go out of their way to support Irish football instead of taking the easy bar stool way out.

i salute every one of them

Funny you should mention that Pablo. When Finn Harps were in their early days in the LOI, there were a couple of blokes from Athenry who used to follow them all over the country - so I'm told anyway.

In Athlone for years, there was a couple from North Tipperary who used to come up to all the home games and some away. The wife would sit in the car inside Mel's while the husband was going mental in the long stand.

I can sympathise a little with someone who might take a fancy to some LOI club but may not have transport to go to games. St. Mel's is 18 miles from my front door - yeah that's a 36 mile round trip - and I cycled to a couple of games when I was around 16. Soon copped on and thummed a lift until I got my own transport. By the way, I don't expect a medal before any of you start taking the p!$$. :D