PDA

View Full Version : Irish Team To Face Portugal

TerryPhelan
09/02/2005, 4:47 PM
O'Brien starts ahead of Big Richie Dunne, surprising choice... And they say Mahatma Gandhi Reid is playing on the left?! I'd prefer Duffer in his natural position really...

Given,
Finnan, O'Brien, Cunningham, O'Shea,
Reid, Holland, Kilbane, Duff,
Morrison, Robbie Keane

Andy O’Brien will partner captain Kenny Cunningham in the centre of defence when the Republic of Ireland take on Portugal at Lansdowne Road this evening.

The Newcastle United defender beat Richard Dunne to the starting XI despite the Dubliner’s outstanding performance for Manchester City against Chelsea at the weekend.

John O’Shea and Steve Finnan will play on the left and right-hand sides of the defence respectively.

Charlton’s Matt Holland and newly crowned FAI Senior Footballer of the Year, Kevin Kilbane, will marshal the centre of midfield, as the Everton man wins his 60th cap for his country.

Chelsea's Damien Duff will also reach a landmark tonight when he takes his place on the pitch for the 50th time, while Andy Reid will play on the left side of midfield.

Clinton Morrison and Robbie Keane complete the formation for what is Brian Kerr’s 25th game in charge of the national side.

Condex
09/02/2005, 5:03 PM
No Richard Dunne does this man know whats hes doing...

eirebhoy
09/02/2005, 5:49 PM
No Richard Dunne does this man know whats hes doing...
While I would have preferred Dunne to start you have to put yourself in Kerr's shoes. O'Brien and Cunningham have conceded just the 1 goal in their 7 full matches together and Dunne started the last match. Surely O'Brien shouldn't be frozen out because of poor performances with shít partners at Newcastle when he has proven he's solid with Cunningham.

Still prefer Kav ahead of Holland though I have a feeling were in for a very good performance from Holland.