PDA

View Full Version : New FIFA ruling to benefit Eircom League sides

James
30/01/2002, 1:13 PM
from JW'S news section

The decision of world football governing body FIFA yesterday to approve of new compensation measures is likely to prove of immense importance to Irish clubs in the future.

The new rule, called a 'solidatarity mechanism', means that Irish clubs will be entitled to compensation if any of their former players are involved in cash transfers within the EU.

The rule allows for five per cent of any transfer fee to go to a player's former clubs for their role in "training and educating" the footballer between the ages of 12 and 23.

Some world class players have come through National League ranks, such as Manchester United's Roy Keane - considered by many to be the best midfielder in the world - whose last club in Ireland was Cobh Ramblers.

Other stars like former Republic of Ireland defender Paul McGrath and Middlesbrough full-back Curtis Fleming both played in the League of Ireland for Saint Patrick's Athletic.

If Roy Keane left Manchester for Bayern Munich today for €20m, Cobh would be entitled to €1m - as would Rockmount. One can only imagine how valuable this would be to Ramblers.

Indeed, former Kilkenny City striker Michael Reddy was linked with a €5m move away from Sunderland last year; if such a transfer happened, City would earn €250,000.

pete
30/01/2002, 2:35 PM
I'm guessing it will operate for young players leaving in the future & not apply retrospectively?

Suppose its just legislating for shortsightedness of clubs in the past anyway i.e. enforces the clause in all contracts.

SÓC
30/01/2002, 3:10 PM
I'd say they cant apply retrospectively because all contrats signed before the new regulations came into force are all still valid, I'd presume the same would apply for sell on clauses and such likes.

Imagne what Ramblers would do with €1,000,000......they'd probally buy Haritgol for a LOI record fee if they had any sense about themselves.

pete
30/01/2002, 4:07 PM
Well considering Ramblers got trashed by Rockmount last night in the MSC doesn't look like even Hartigoal can save them from having to appaly for re-election this year.

Apparently Newbridge & Mullingar are very keen to join next year so no guarantees Ramblers would be around to spend any massive windfall.

Snatch
30/01/2002, 6:16 PM
Sounds like a great law. It's a pity that it's only 5% though.

Something had to be done after the devastation caused to smaller clubs by the Bosman ruling. Many smaller clubs and their national associations were lobbying for an exemption for sport in the EU free movement of workers laws. While this was not acheived this is a welcome developement and now gives small clubs which produce talent a slight chance to close the financial gap which has grown enormously in recent years.

It's still a steep up hill battle though.

derm
31/01/2002, 9:13 AM
AFAIK, the 5% that clubs are entitled to will be shared by the appropriate clubs - not 5% each. Thus Keano for euro 20 mil would leave Cobh, Rockmount and possibly Notts. Forest(?) with 1 mil to share between them not 1 mil each (how do i get euro symbol on PC by the way??).

This makes it even more important for clubs to hang on to their promising players for longer, i.e. the longer you were formative part of players development the bigger share u get.