PDA

View Full Version : The Players pool

Xlex
29/01/2002, 4:24 PM
It is rumoured each of Mick McCarthys men will recieve €85,000 (??)for their participation in the World Cup

The players pool is an ancient idea. Its provision was for the then players to recieve a grand lump sum to reward them in a time when players were less well off.....

With Big Niall Quinns charity donation of the proceeds of his testimonial benifiting two childrens hospitals and the large financial benfits of modern day professional football, should the players pool idea be scrapped, and monies used for better causes.....

Schumi
29/01/2002, 4:38 PM
and testimonials should be scrapped for the top (i.e. well paid) players too.

pete
29/01/2002, 5:57 PM
I think its up to a club if they want to give a testimonial to a player or not. Likewise its up to the UK revenue whether said players get the money tax-free. I don't care about either of these.

The FAI were correct to abolish international testimonials but typically Dumpy & the media took another opportunity to slag them off. The only way I coud have seen international testimonials staying would be by raise the cap level to 80-100 as too many players get 50 (they get paid for anyway) & they'd need 2 extra international matches a year in an already crowded fixture list.

btw don't they also get a qualification bonus + extra money for extra rounds in the WC?

Xlex
30/01/2002, 9:28 AM
I think when I heard the €85k figure that was a possible WC bonus....

I don't know how they work it out, wheither its an average or not and what the criteria is or how the figure came about... The players get an IR£900 match fee as it stands...

pete
30/01/2002, 11:41 AM
I think I heard recently that the players negotiators had to be shown the associations books to show them the FAI doesn't have the cash.

I think total revenue to the FAI of 7million was mentioned for the WC with "the FAI retaining more than the players..."

No idea what the players are receiving but seems to suggest anything up to 3million.

Xlex
30/01/2002, 11:46 AM
In that case, about 35-40 members benefit..... But to have to show books.....