PDA

View Full Version : O'Driscoll and D'Arcy both named in side to play Scotland

Eire06
08/02/2005, 5:33 PM
Has to be a good sign

Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan has named captain Brian O'Driscoll and his centre partner Gordon D'Arcy in the side to play Scotland in the Six Nations on Saturday.

Both were in doubt after they limped off in last weekend's 28-17 win over Italy with hamstring injuries, and after scans on Monday night, the diagnosis was not as severe as first thought.

Despite O'Sullivan's optimism, the next 24 hours will be crucial for both centres to respond to treatment, with the option of Kevin Maggs an obvious replacement at centre, and winger Shane Horgan, who performed so well at centre against South Africa, another option.

"Brian and Gordon came through their scans last night, and it looks as if things aren't as bad as we originally thought," said O'Sullivan.

"There is no doubting as to how important their fitness is to us. We'll just have to wait and see how they progress over the next few days, and then we'll be in a position to make a decision."

"The Italian match was just two days ago, so with a six-day turnaround for the Scotland trip you have to give the guys every chance to fully recover. I would be a foolish man to rule them out right now if they can make it."

The only change sees London Wasps flanker Johnny O'Connor winning his third cap, replacing Denis Leamy.

"I had always had Johnny in mind for Scotland. We need a `groundhog', and Johnny is exactly that. Denis had a solid game against Italy – but he didn't make the impact he would have liked to," said O'Sullivan.

Saturday will also see Leinster lock Malcolm O'Kelly earn his 70th cap to become Ireland's most capped player ahead of legendary centre Mike Gibson.

Ireland team: 15 Geordan Murphy (Leicester/ENG); 14 Shane Horgan (Leinster), 13 Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster, capt), 12 Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster), 11 Denis Hickie (Leinster); 10 Ronan O'Gara (Munster), 9 Peter Stringer (Munster); 1 Reggie Corrigan (Leinster), 2 Shane Byrne (Leinster), 3 John
Hayes (Munster), 4 Malcolm O'Kelly, 5 Paul O'Connell (Munster), 6 Simon Easterby (Llanelli), 7 Johnny O'Connor (Wasps), 8 Anthony Foley (Munster).
Replacements: Frank Sheahan (Munster), Marcus Horan (Munster), Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster), Eric Miller (Leinster), Guy Easterby (Leinster), David Humphreys (Ulster), Girvan Dempsey (Leinster).

joeSoap
08/02/2005, 5:39 PM
This is obviously a ploy by Eddie O'Sullivan to put the wind up Matt Williams. Both players suffered tears in their hamstrings it seems, and I'd safely say there is not a snowballs chance in hell that either will be either fit enough, or risked if they are slightly fit, against Scotland.

Horgan will move to the centre to be accompanied by Maggs, with Murphy moving to the wing to accommodate Dempsey at full back.

He could go for Bowe, or Payne on the wing and leave Girv out and Murphy in his best position, but I doubt he'll do that....unfortunately.

SÓC
08/02/2005, 5:45 PM
He could go for Bowe, or Payne on the wing and leave Girv out and Murphy in his best position, but I doubt he'll do that....unfortunately.

Yep Eddie isnt one to take risks, even the D'Arcy risk was taken for him by Leinster first.

I'd like to see the a backline of

Stringer
O'Gara
Hickie Horgan Mags Payne (Kelly if he was fit but he aint:()
Murphy

What ever about offering little by way of attack from fullback Dempsey is not up to the wing IMO

Éanna
08/02/2005, 8:29 PM
hopefully they will be fit, but it wouldn't be worth a risk. they'll be needed more against england wales and france than against scotland

finlma
08/02/2005, 9:08 PM
I can see us being beaten by Scotland if both centres are out. Maggs is not a try-scorer and he does not break the gain-line. Horgan hasn't played enough at centre internationally.
I hope one of them can play at least.

pete
08/02/2005, 9:57 PM
Stringer
O'Gara
Hickie Horgan Mags Payne (Kelly if he was fit but he aint:()
Murphy

What ever about offering little by way of attack from fullback Dempsey is not up to the wing IMO

Kelly well past it & would IMO be well down the pecking order.

Hopefully Murphy remains at fullback whatever happens & sings could be good as he kept him there even when Dempsey came on for injured DArcy last week.

Its hard to see O'Sullivan risking either centre for Scotland - i'd O'driscoll has better chance but D'Arcy little chance.

I think Ireland could survive championship missing 1 centre but ain't going win much with Horgan & Maggs in the centre.

IsMiseSean
08/02/2005, 11:43 PM
I think we'll beat the Scots without them. Scotland are still a poor team, even though they went close against the French. France were really bad that day, and any decent team would have beaten them. Maggs wont score tries, but Murphy, Hickie and Horgan will and ROG will be back on form by Saturday

Eire06
09/02/2005, 8:47 AM
ya I think France really under estimated Scotland at the weekend and they played very badly...

Wouldn't be worth the risk if theres the slights chance of either player being seriously injured and out for the rest of the 6 Nations...
Without the two centers I think the team will be trying harder to make up for them. I'd say we'll win but not by much at all... It'll be a very low scoring match

joeSoap
09/02/2005, 9:51 AM
Maggs is not a try-scorer and he does not break the gain-line.

14 tries in 65 appearances might not be amazing, but our most prolific, O'Driscoll and Hickie have only scored 24 from 50 odd caps so its not so bad. To say he doesn't break the gain line is pure bull!! He is the best crash ball(short) runner we have, tackles superby and is strong as an ox.

I have absolutely no worries about him coming in...actually if Munster got him ahead of Ulster, they might have a better chance of the Heineken Cup..

Green Tribe
09/02/2005, 7:39 PM
:D just wanted to say i am going to the scotlland v ireland game on saturday!!!!! yee-hah :D :D

finlma
09/02/2005, 8:14 PM
To say he doesn't break the gain line is pure bull!! He is the best crash ball(short) runner we have, tackles superby and is strong as an ox.

He is a great crash ball player but he rarely makes breaks like O'Driscoll and D'arcy. He's not really a creative player. We're well short of cover in the centre positions.

Aldini98
10/02/2005, 12:22 PM
He is a great crash ball player but he rarely makes breaks like O'Driscoll and D'arcy. He's not really a creative player. We're well short of cover in the centre positions.

Yeah course he is, you've just heard "Maggs on the crash ball" too many times, he hasn't played well in yonks :rolleyes:

joeSoap
10/02/2005, 1:17 PM
Can anyone name a better replacement?? :p

finlma
10/02/2005, 8:26 PM
I'd bring in Tommy Bowe myself on the wing and move Horgan to centre. I really hope D'arcy isn't out cause we'll be in trouble.

We could always call back Fat Hendo from Munster

IsMiseSean
11/02/2005, 12:45 AM
O'Driscoll is out, D'Arcy will be out by tomorrow, so the backline I'd like to see play would be
15 Murphy
14 Bowe
13 S.Horgan
12 K.Maggs
11 D. Hickie

but Dempsey will be named ahead of Bowe who hasn't even been drafted in as cover as of yet!

finlma
11/02/2005, 1:13 AM
O'Driscoll is out, D'Arcy will be out by tomorrow, so the backline I'd like to see play would be
15 Murphy
14 Bowe
13 S.Horgan
12 K.Maggs
11 D. Hickie

but Dempsey will be named ahead of Bowe who hasn't even been drafted in as cover as of yet!

I'd pick the exact same myself if D'arcy is out, which he probably will be.

SÓC
11/02/2005, 4:06 PM
I'd wonder how Humphries would do at centre?

He's a fantastic player, it's a pity we cant fit him in somewhere at times, although obviously not at 10 when O'Gara is fit

pete
11/02/2005, 4:28 PM
I'd wonder how Humphries would do at centre?

IMO a spent force at international level. Was neck & neck between himself & O'Gara before but O'Gara has upped his game in the last year & only injury would get Humphreys a game.

I'd be surprised if Humphreys would be anywhere near top 6 choices in the centre.

Kerry Blue
11/02/2005, 8:02 PM
Irish team to play Scotland is:

15. G Murphy
14. S Horgan
13. K Maggs
12. G Dempsey
11. D Hickie
10. R O'Gara
9. P Stringer
1. R Corrigan
2. S Byrne
3. J Hayes
4. M O'Kelly
5. P O'Connell (capt)
6. S Easterby
7. J O'Connor
8. A Foley

pete
11/02/2005, 8:43 PM
Still hope for ireland in championship especially as France continue to keep Michalik on the bench :rolleyes: