PDA

View Full Version : Daryl Horgan (M Wycombe Wanderers b.1992)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

pineapple stu
06/01/2023, 11:09 AM
Yep - seemed to raise his game for us above and beyond the level he seemed to be at. Never minded seeing him come on. Technically got an assist in his last game too; lovely pass to Robinson in Azerbaijan for his second, though Robinson/the deflection/a dodgy keeper (in that descending order) had more to do with it than the pass really.

Eirambler
06/01/2023, 11:31 AM
My recollection was that he did OK off the bench a few times but when he started a couple of games it was like being a man down.

Fixer82
06/01/2023, 11:52 AM
Disagree. He was one of the few bright sparks against England in Wembley

nigel-harps1954
06/01/2023, 11:53 AM
I would say he's done fairly well for himself. Near 200 appearances between SPL, Championship and League One and 17 caps for Ireland, all inside six years.

If that's the barometer for "not really working out" then we're setting a fairly high bar for success as a professional footballer.

paul_oshea
06/01/2023, 12:57 PM
I've mixed feelings on horgan, like so many others when he was sprung from the bench he did well, and few of the bright sparks in many games, especially under Kenny, but the more he played the less effective he became and his crossing never found targets maybe he was a few years ahead of an Evan Ferguson ; ). That said I was always happy to see his name going up whenever we needed something different, that might have been because of what I saw him do at Dundalk on the big nights.

I've said in the past that it takes 10 games in to get a realistic feel for a player, I mean that from a Positive -> Negative bounce because it usually never goes the other way. I temper expectations based off of that because it's proven right over and over. McClean another great example of that.

Consistency is a word often used myself included but again it should be the Irish football forum thesaurus of "just not good enough" or "not at the (requisite)level".

paul_oshea
06/01/2023, 12:58 PM
I would say he's done fairly well for himself. Near 200 appearances between SPL, Championship and League One and 17 caps for Ireland, all inside six years.

If that's the barometer for "not really working out" then we're setting a fairly high bar for success as a professional footballer.

If you were setting the barometer for yourself, or for a lad you saw 10 metres from you down at Finn Park then that's great. The reality is different though but well done to Horgan who had started his career and had a decent career in the LOI eeking out a good living for himself.

dynamo kerry
06/01/2023, 5:35 PM

Agree, he's done pretty well for an era when playing premier league and even championship is so competitive.