PDA

View Full Version : Chants

Kowalski
08/02/2005, 12:41 PM
Ive been listening out for a good Damien Duff chant for ages, now I think I have one we can use for Ireland:
Chelsea fans sing: 'Arjen Robben And Damien Duff' to the tune of
'Harry & Jim your having a laugh' (Portsmouth)
'Harry & Jim your getting the sack' (Southhamton)
'Harry & Jim your a pair of c***s' (Portsmouth)
'Harry & Jim your having a laugh' (Southhamton)

Ireland fans can sing:
'Damien Duff and Kevin Kilbane'
Thoughts?
Any other players which deserve one?

redgav
08/02/2005, 2:20 PM
Ive been listening out for a good Damien Duff chant for ages, now I think I have one we can use for Ireland:
Chelsea fans sing: 'Arjen Robben And Damien Duff' to the tune of
'Harry & Jim your having a laugh' (Portsmouth)
'Harry & Jim your getting the sack' (Southhamton)
'Harry & Jim your a pair of c***s' (Portsmouth)
'Harry & Jim your having a laugh' (Southhamton)

Ireland fans can sing:
'Damien Duff and Kevin Kilbane'
Thoughts?
Any other players which deserve one?

Always been disapointed that the " All you need is Duff, na na na na nahh, All you need is Duff ,Duff , Duff is all you need " song has never taken off -It got a big rendition in the bars but never taken off - I think its a cracker

Slash/ED
08/02/2005, 2:23 PM
I don't think the All You Need Is Duff song really suits being sung at games, it's not a typical terrace song really. His name for whatever reason just doesn't seem to fit into any decent songs.

barglee
08/02/2005, 2:28 PM
to the tune of vindaloo(that song the english fans sing)

"up the duff, up the duff na na, na na, na na naaaaa"

:)

eirebhoy
08/02/2005, 2:37 PM
My favourite chant that doesn't get sung is one about Robbie Keane (maybe someone on this forum made it up). To the tune of "Noew York, New York":

Da, da, da, da da.
Da, da, da, da da.
Da, da, da, da da.
Start spreading the news,
he's playing today.
He's going to score a goal for us, Keano, Keanoooo.
If he can, *clap*clap, score from there, he'll score from, *clap*clap, anywhere.
It's up to you Keano, Keanoooo.
Da, da, da, da da.
Da, da, da, da da..."

------

if those of you for whatever reason can't think of the tune, here is a tiny midi file:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~mrman/mids/newyork.mid

We have to get that one going. :)

Slash/ED
08/02/2005, 2:39 PM
I think the Villa fans came up with that for Dwight Yorke and it was used for Glen Crowe later on.

I agree though it's absolutley superb.

Schumi
08/02/2005, 2:39 PM
My favourite chant that doesn't get sung is one about Robbie Keane (maybe someone on this forum made it up).
It was stolen from the Glen Crowe version that Bohs fans used ;) to sing.

Stuttgart88
08/02/2005, 3:24 PM
Watching the rugby on Sunday it crossed my mind that the chorus to Molly Malone isn't even sung at the rugby anymore.

I figured it was always a class thing that the rugby fans sang "Alive Alive Oh" and the soccer fans adopted "The Fields of Athenry" but it's all merged now anyway, at the expense of good old Molly. Maybe the soccer fans can claim her back?

Did anyone notice how the Welsh RFU drummed up a brilliant atmosphere before the England game on Saturday? The Welsh FA did the same before they beat Italy a few years ago (they even had the Manics play live). Of course it helps to have one of the best stadiums in the world but I was hoping the FAI took note.

Slash/ED
08/02/2005, 3:28 PM
Of course it helps to have one of the best stadiums in the world but I was hoping the FAI took note.

The FAIs answer was to get some ballad singer to absolutley destroy the Fields Of Athenry and throw up a few green cards at one of the recent matches, think it may have been Cyprus or the Faroes. The atmosphere didn't exactly reach boiling point as a result somehow.

eirebhoy
08/02/2005, 3:30 PM
One crucial difference though is that you can sit down and watch the match in the millenium stadium with a pint. Most people after a few pints would be up singing.

Stuttgart88
08/02/2005, 3:34 PM
I haven't been to Cardiff but my mate who grew up on The Kop says it's fantastic. He describes it as "the Bang & Olufsen of football grounds". And it only cost £200mm I hear.

Schumi
08/02/2005, 3:45 PM
Did anyone notice how the Welsh RFU drummed up a brilliant atmosphere before the England game on Saturday? The Welsh FA did the same before they beat Italy a few years ago (they even had the Manics play live). Of course it helps to have one of the best stadiums in the world but I was hoping the FAI took note.
After their previous 'attempts' the FAI should leave well enough alone.

monutdfc
08/02/2005, 4:12 PM
What about Joy Division's Love will tear us apart (credit ManU fans who sang it for Giggs):

Duff, Duff will tear you apart, a-gain"

SÓC
08/02/2005, 4:41 PM
I haven't been to Cardiff but my mate who grew up on The Kop says it's fantastic. He describes it as "the Bang & Olufsen of football grounds". And it only cost £200mm I hear.

Used to live in Cardiff, was at the Stadium a few times (Scotland and Wales was the only football match though) it aint as good as Stade De France but good alright. It is quite slow getting in and out of it. It is literally on Cardiff's main street, its actually quite strange. The stadium dominates the whole town

The Castle End is actually built into the old Arms Park (Cardiff Blues wouldnt move) and hence totally different to the other 3 sides. I didnt see anyone selling beer when I was there.

Eire06
08/02/2005, 4:46 PM
After their previous 'attempts' the FAI should leave well enough alone.

Give the FAI their credit they bring top acts like Chris Doran to 'entertain' us at half time....
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Could you ask for more really....

thecorner
08/02/2005, 5:47 PM
My favourite chant that doesn't get sung is one about Robbie Keane (maybe someone on this forum made it up). To the tune of "Noew York, New York":

Da, da, da, da da.
Da, da, da, da da.
Da, da, da, da da.
Start spreading the news,
he's playing today.
He's going to score a goal for us, Keano, Keanoooo.
If he can, *clap*clap, score from there, he'll score from, *clap*clap, anywhere.
It's up to you Keano, Keanoooo.
Da, da, da, da da.
Da, da, da, da da..."

------

do we chant this after his 23rd chance :D

Pat O' Banton
08/02/2005, 5:54 PM
throw up a few green cards at one of the recent matches,

Perhaps a little harsh, granted the bands were bit pants, but at least for once there was some effort. The cards and flags can look impressive its a matter of the fans building on this type of thing. Have a look at some of the things on here big flags, roman candles etc. all making the grounds look impressive, should we be taking notes? http://groundhopping.de/

SÓC
08/02/2005, 6:09 PM
http://groundhopping.de/

That Hull Stadium is amazing!

Pat O' Banton
08/02/2005, 6:22 PM
:o sorry this should have been the link to the bigger section http://groundhopping.de/berichte.htm

The Hull ground is defo going to be one worth checking out, although I'm lead to believe that it should be a get into the town and out again asap job! :eek:

Slash/ED
08/02/2005, 6:24 PM
Perhaps a little harsh, granted the bands were bit pants, but at least for once there was some effort. The cards and flags can look impressive its a matter of the fans building on this type of thing. Have a look at some of the things on here big flags, roman candles etc. all making the grounds look impressive, should we be taking notes? http://groundhopping.de/

I'm all for big flags, flares and that kind of thing, but a few green cards with songs printed on the back were absolutley woeful. It looked well when it was green white and orange flags making out the flag but just green cards on there own looked terrible, half the people didn't hold them up and they ended up as paper airplanes more often than not it seemed.

Éanna
08/02/2005, 6:58 PM
I'm all for big flags, flares and that kind of thing, but a few green cards with songs printed on the back were absolutley woeful. It looked well when it was green white and orange flags making out the flag but just green cards on there own looked terrible, half the people didn't hold them up and they ended up as paper airplanes more often than not it seemed.
the reason things like this don't work at landsdowne is that the vast majority of people in the ground are not people who go to games every week- they watch football on the TV, and as such don't have the first clue about creating an atmosphere.

M@ttitude
08/02/2005, 8:15 PM
they watch football on the TV, and as such don't have the first clue about creating an atmosphere.
True but you not think its our duty to change this and turn our home matches into a party atmosphere and hope more people will take part? I sat in the upper west last time and was getting weird looks for shouting 'come on ireland'.. And people were complaining about the amount of times the 'stand up for the boys in green was sang'..

Green Tribe
08/02/2005, 11:14 PM
boring old farts complaing! :rolleyes:

M@ttitude
09/02/2005, 12:09 AM
Thats because Rugby fans have earned the respect to be treated like adults... No doubt the mexican wave will be the ever entertainer for tomorrows match again.. Its normally the East stand that get the north boo for being slow to catch on..

Junior
09/02/2005, 8:12 AM
I sat in the upper west last time and was getting weird looks for shouting 'come on ireland'.. And people were complaining about the amount of times the 'stand up for the boys in green was sang'..

I am all for improving the atmosphere, but that song is worse than Ole Ole, particularly when sang every two minutes cause we have noting else in our repotoire!! Im not ashamed to say I find it annoying NOT atmosphere creating.

green army
09/02/2005, 8:37 AM
to the tune of winter wonderland.

theres only one kevin kil-bane
look at him go past his man
some call him zidane
but his name is kilbane
walking in kilbanes wonderland.

Schumi
09/02/2005, 9:58 AM
when sang every two minutes cause we have noting else in our repotoire!!
That's not why. It's to stop people on the North Terrace sitting down and giving out to those of us who are standing up.

harpskid
09/02/2005, 10:45 AM
It's to stop people on the North Terrace sitting down

Why would you sit on a terrace :p

Stuttgart88
09/02/2005, 11:36 AM
I am all for improving the atmosphere, but that song is worse than Ole Ole, particularly when sang every two minutes cause we have noting else in our repotoire!! Im not ashamed to say I find it annoying NOT atmosphere creating.

I'm all up or improving the atmosphere too, but I've no problem with "Stand Up". International matches are not like club games where chants evolve over the many games during a season, and where you usually have a hard core of singers together, especially at away games.

It's not the quality of our songs that's the problem, just the fact that most people don't bother singing any of them, IMHO. Ole Ole is naff I agree but Que Sera Sera replicates the feelgood aura of the late 80's so why not?

If good new songs come along, then great. But for me the timeless Boys in Green and the like will always be OUR songs. Boys in Green has been our no. 1 song since my first game in 1981 and I've no doubt long before that.

Duff will Tear You Apart would be great but as a rule we must avoid replicating the English yob anthems like Vindaloo or "'aving a larf". And any more complicated songs would just become the property of those "on the inside" not of everyone. I agree there's a huge number of late-arrivers, early-leavers, Mexican-wavers and and sit-down-at-all-times prats with only half an interest at these games, but keeping the songs simple is the only way to have a chance of getting the most people involved.

Needed to get that off my chest, sorry. :)

PS: anyone who ever sings "You'll Never Beat The Irish" before the final whistle should be shot. In fact, that's about the sh1ttest song of all. Let's just save it for the next time we beat England, true to the song's original context.

pineapple stu
09/02/2005, 12:29 PM
the reason things like this don't work at landsdowne is that the vast majority of people in the ground are not people who go to games every week- they watch football on the TV, and as such don't have the first clue about creating an atmosphere.
I think you also have to blame those in the North Terrace who think an atmosphere will just happen by their being there. Ask soccerc who organises (organised?) the tickets - people were asked to bring drums, etc. and didn't bother - actually said "f*** off" in some cases. People here whined about how difficult it was to bring a drum all the way into Lansdowne.
It's very easy to blame the barstoolers (and right to, to a large extent), but all too often, the people in the North Terrace don't bother too.

Stuttgart88
09/02/2005, 12:41 PM
Anyway, I thought the atmosphere at the last competitive home game was pretty good.

Friendlies will never have the same atmosphere as a meaningful competitive game. Part of the problem since Kerr has taken over is that we've had far too few really important home games, and in some of those (e.g., Russia, Albania) the performance on the pitch was so flat it spread to the crowd.

ken foree
09/02/2005, 12:47 PM
'come on ireland' repeated until crescendo, then mantra-like for 20 minutes (turkish style)

Macy
09/02/2005, 1:01 PM
I think you also have to blame those in the North Terrace who think an atmosphere will just happen by their being there. Ask soccerc who organises (organised?) the tickets - people were asked to bring drums, etc. and didn't bother - actually said "f*** off" in some cases. People here whined about how difficult it was to bring a drum all the way into Lansdowne.
It's very easy to blame the barstoolers (and right to, to a large extent), but all too often, the people in the North Terrace don't bother too.
Is it not more the case that no one followed the North Terraces lead and people have just got bored? Certainly the first few games the atmosphere was a 100 times better in the North Terrace than it was for games I was in there for before.

Drums imo are overrated at matches, drownout the singing and only people near the drums can get them to play to the same tune.

Roll on the milder weather and cheap cans outside the lansdowne...

pineapple stu
09/02/2005, 1:08 PM
Is it not more the case that no one followed the North Terrace's lead and people have just got bored? Certainly the first few games the atmosphere was a 100 times better in the North Terrace than it was for games I was in there for before.
Possibly, but then most grounds will have a small singing section (Section O, the Cork Shed), while most of the rest of the ground don't join in much (I'm going to get pilloried for that, I know, but by and large it's true!!) - doesn't mean they get bored and stop.

Drums imo are overrated at matches, drownout the singing and only people near the drums can get them to play to the same tune.
I disagree. In Paris and at the Faroes game, I had a bodhrán and found it great to get chants going. If everyone has one, that's a problem obviously, but if they are spread around the terrace, they can help pick up on the chant and start it spreading.

Roll on the milder weather and cheap cans outside the lansdowne...
Definitely! And a few Saturday games wouldn't go amiss either! :)

Beavis
09/02/2005, 2:10 PM
Whats the bets Criastiano Ronaldo gets booed for playing for 'the other team' :rolleyes:

Éanna
09/02/2005, 2:11 PM
I went to a few games in the north terrace when that initiative started. I tried singing along with others but there was just no point. You got strange looks, and people didn't join in. Yet another reason why I gave up going to Ireland games.

As for bringing drums in- I brought in flagpoles a few times and had ridiculous hassle with them. Being stopped by stewards, guards etc. One time it took me 15mins of arguing just to get them as far as the security hut, and i still had to go in and collect them after. So no way would I risk bringing a drum all the way out there- what are you supposed to do if they tell you you're not allowed bring it in?

strangeirish
09/02/2005, 2:18 PM
As for bringing drums in- I brought in flagpoles a few times and had ridiculous hassle with them. Being stopped by stewards, guards etc. One time it took me 15mins of arguing just to get them as far as the security hut, and i still had to go in and collect them after. So no way would I risk bringing a drum all the way out there- what are you supposed to do if they tell you you're not allowed bring it in?

You will just have to march to the beat of a different drum :D Taxi

Pat O' Banton
09/02/2005, 5:10 PM

Fair enough and maybe there should be more imagination with the cards laid out in future, the national flag, the four province etc could be tried. However people in the ground should take some responsibility for not holding up cards -pretty simple thing to do but obviously some are not bright enough to work this out - I would at least say fair play to the FAI for making the effort.

Should also note that in all the grounds that I have been to it is only rarely that the whole ground will create an atmosphere, it is normally a dedicated set of fans at one or both ends of the ground that sing and make the displays. Even in the most loudest grounds with the best fans and most colourful displays (Roma and Dortmund as I'm in a name dropping kinda mood) the rest of the ground look to the Curva Sud and Sud Tribune respectively for the noise and colour - a starting point that we should consider when we wish to create an atmosphere at home games.

*Incidently I once seen St. Pauli organise there fans to hold up cards making out a recuring brown, white and red pattern on a terrace - now thats organised efficiency!

Eire06
10/02/2005, 9:00 AM
No songs or Chants really got going last night at all really you'd hear the south startin up and a few would join in then it would just fizzle out...

Think its hard to get the crowd goin in Lansdown anyway the way the stadium is constructed....

Was in the East Terrace last night and was regulary the only one singing with everyone giving me dirty looks.... I didn't care carried on singing at the top of my voice all night and jumpin up and down to stop myself from freezin to death...

piratemousey
10/02/2005, 1:19 PM
so what do ye sing at ireland international matches.
is it still ole ole ole??

Eire06
10/02/2005, 1:28 PM
so what do ye sing at ireland international matches.
is it still ole ole ole??

Pretty much
Fiels of athenry comes up...
Come on you Boys in green, stand up for the boys in green, ect ect the usual still make appearances....
Paris was a perfect example everyone was singing all the oldies...

tallaghtfornia
11/02/2005, 1:49 PM
hopefully shels fans will have some respect for themselves and make up a new tune for crowe and not copy the boez version.
dont take the one original song made up in the jodi away from boez or they will be demanding that you "wash your mouth with soap!!"

Slash/ED
11/02/2005, 2:17 PM
It was made up by Villa fans for Dwight Yorke, at least that's where I first heard it but yeah we probably wont sing it, except when he knocks home the winner in Dalymount anyway.

tallaghtfornia
11/02/2005, 2:26 PM
always ok to sing it to the boez,would u not agree that their song bout washing their mouth with soap is the worst around

Dawn_Run
11/02/2005, 4:11 PM
As for the Millennium('Yardiff').....showed a few Welsh on Saturday, with a beer in their hand (& that was towards the end of the game!)!

Anyone else see the young lad at the portugal game with the bottle of Heino? Now he was creating an atmosphere, and had a green bottle too!