PDA

View Full Version : No Football or Rugby at Croke Park

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Sunnyside Up
26/02/2005, 8:58 PM
GSTQ was not played in 1990 due to a mixup between the 2 FAs. There was a deal with the IFA not to play either national anthem before the RoI v NI games. GSTQ was played before the friendly match at Lansdowne in 1995 and unfortunately booed by a small section of the crowd. This remains the only time I can remember where Irish fans have not respected an opponents anthem. I was at the game in 78 too but was only a kid and can't remember if GSTQ was played but I assume it was.

GSTQ is played at England rugby Internationals and respected.

If you think not playing an anthem before a game even comes close to the bigotry of the gAA you must be sick.

Public money paid for half of Croke Park at least. Yes most of it is lottery funding but that is still public money and a tax and those who weren't very good at maths in school.

Everyone who buys a lotto ticket knows that the primary purpose of the funds raised go to sports. It is not a forced taxation. The GAA as the most supported sports organisation on this island (I base this on the facts that their crowds outnumber all other sports) deserve the majority of this funding.

And for the umpteeth time, just because an organisation gets money from the government does not mean they are obliged to open up their facilities to their competitors.

gspain
26/02/2005, 10:28 PM
First of all, Peter Canavan did not have his GAA kit on. As an amateur player he can surely support whatever party he wants.

Secondly, the FAI have had no problem taking money from Sinn Fein and not so long ago have run an ad in an official ROI soccer program.

Thirdly, Irish soccer grounds have been used for Sinn Fein fundraisers.

I don't have a copy of the advert anymore but I'm sure it can be dug up somewhere. It was Pat Doherty's election material and the GAA logo was very prominent as were Sean Teague - Tyrone captain and Peter Canavan and the tyrone shirt was very prominent. It may have been Teague in the Tyrone jersey and Canavan in the tracksuit. Do you think the advert was ok then? Do you think the GAA should have allowed its logo to be used like that without comment?

Canavan is allowed hold any views he likes no matter how vile and repugnant they are however he shoulds not be allowed to use the GAA to promote them.

The ad in the Romania programme was wrong. It was taken by a 3rd party company who run the programme however it still shouldn't have happened.

I'm not awar eof any football grounds being used for Sinn Fein fundraisers. They did try and sponsor a Junior team which got blocked and O'Snodaigh did try and hold a function at a Ballyfermot clubhouse which I think went ahead and again I think this is wrong. Can you detail your examples?

The F.A.I. don't have policies on SF or the IRA. what is your point here? Are you trying to equate the above with the clear provocation of the Unionist community in NI with the naming of cups and teams after dead IRA men?

The following below were taken from 2 issues of An Phoblacht.

FUNCTION: Featuring the Spirit of Freedom. 9pm Saturday 20 October, GAA Club, BISHOPSTOWN, CORK. T‡ille £5

IRISH NIGHT: Featuring the Wolfe Tones. 8pm Wednesday 24 October, St Davog's GAA Centre, AGHYARAN, County Tyrone. Band on stage at 10pm. Tickets from GAA Centre and the Cairde Office, Strabane. Tickets limited. Contact no 71 382119

HUNGER STRIKES COMMEMORATION: Through Song and Stories. 9pm Saturday 27 October, GAA Centre, DERRYTRESK, County Tyrone. £3 donation at door.

SF FUNDRAISER: Featuring Justice. 9pm Sunday 28 October, O'Rahilly's GAA Club, DROGHEDA, County Louth. T‡ille £5. Organised by the Bobby Sands SF Cumann

CROSSMAGLEN HUNGER STRIKE COMMEMMORATION: Unveiling of Memorial Stone. Assemble 2pm Sunday 21 October, Rangers GFC, CROSSMAGLEN, County Armagh. Prominent Speakers in Attendance

o AMACH AGUS ISTEACH. Republican Ex-Prisoners, Ardeoin. A Chara, Is mian linn cuireadh a thabhairt duit freastal ar bhur Cruinniu Ginearalta. Ar Aoine 24u Deireadh Fomhair 2003. I Ogra Seomrai GAA, Ardeoin. Cordially invite you to our AGM on Friday 24 October 2003 @7.30pm. In minor rooms, GAA, Ardoyne. As an Ex-POW it's in your interest to attend. Is Tusa Le Meas, Coiste, Amach agus isteach

SF XMAS FUNCTION: Featuring Spirit of Freedom. 9pm Saturday 22 December, GAA Club, BISHOPSTOWN, County Cork. T‡ille £5

IRISH NIGHT: Friday 28 December, St Davog's GAA Centre, AGHYARAN, County Tyrone. Music by Spirit of Freedom

gspain
26/02/2005, 10:32 PM
Everyone who buys a lotto ticket knows that the primary purpose of the funds raised go to sports. It is not a forced taxation. The GAA as the most supported sports organisation on this island (I base this on the facts that their crowds outnumber all other sports) deserve the majority of this funding.

And for the umpteeth time, just because an organisation gets money from the government does not mean they are obliged to open up their facilities to their competitors.

I actually think the funding should mainly go the most active participant sports as opposed to the best supported. although we are splitting hairs here I think sport in general is way underfunded.

I fully agree with your 2nd point.

My main gripe is with the government

1) they should have put conditions on the funding - learned from this with a stake in Lansdowne.

2) Given the significant potential loss of revenue to the economy if Croke Park is not made available they should bin requests for future fuinding,

gspain
26/02/2005, 10:39 PM
Can we get past this notion that those opposed to soccer in Croker are bigots? "The narrow minded bigots that seem to call the shots": Rule 42 is going to Congress with different motions having been put forward by 11 counties. Sean Kelly, the head of the GAA, is clearly in favour of soccer in Croker, does he not call at least some of the shots?

For the millionth time, calling the GAA bigots will get soccer fans nowhere. There are undoubtedly rednecks in the GAA as there are soccer rednecks and rugby rednecks in the FAI and IRFU, respectively. But to assume that soccer in Croker is simply being held up by bigots is just missing the GAA's point. 40-50% of GAA members are against opening the stadium up, are they all bigots?

Sean Kelly is not a bigot. Tommy Kenoy is not a bigot.

However those opposed to allowing football and rugby into Croke Park are bigots.

They are narrow minded bigots and by association the thousands of decent GAA folk will suffer and those who don't know the organisation and looking in from outside will assume you are all just a bunch of narrow minded bigots.

It may not be helpful but it is true

Donal81
27/02/2005, 6:39 PM
However those opposed to allowing football and rugby into Croke Park are bigots.

They are narrow minded bigots and by association the thousands of decent GAA folk will suffer and those who don't know the organisation and looking in from outside will assume you are all just a bunch of narrow minded bigots.

That is complete rubbish gspain, I'm suprised you'd say that, to be honest. Until now I thought you're issue was with bigots within the GAA but this is ridiculous. If you think that everyone who is opposed to opening the GAA is a bigot, then you completely misunderstand the GAA.

You seem to be linking opposition to Croker opening to support for Sinn Fein and the IRA...

There are so many GAA fans out there who don't want to open it because they fear the effect that allowing soccer and rugby into Croker will have on the organisation, in terms of losing kids to the sports. This has nothing to do with bigotry, 800 years, Catholics, Protestants, the North or the Queen. This has to do with competition with other sports and nothing else so to call them bigots is completely out of order and I'm being as polite as possible here.

gspain
27/02/2005, 7:34 PM
That is complete rubbish gspain, I'm suprised you'd say that, to be honest. Until now I thought you're issue was with bigots within the GAA but this is ridiculous. If you think that everyone who is opposed to opening the GAA is a bigot, then you completely misunderstand the GAA.

You seem to be linking opposition to Croker opening to support for Sinn Fein and the IRA...

There are so many GAA fans out there who don't want to open it because they fear the effect that allowing soccer and rugby into Croker will have on the organisation, in terms of losing kids to the sports. This has nothing to do with bigotry, 800 years, Catholics, Protestants, the North or the Queen. This has to do with competition with other sports and nothing else so to call them bigots is completely out of order and I'm being as polite as possible here.

I don't thijk SF has a position on Croke Park but the extremists in NI oppsoed to the opening of Croke Park aree more likely to be SF supporters wouldn't you think?

The main reason for keeping Croke Park closed is bigotry. Even today's debate on RTE radio with Tom McGurk, Eugene McGee etc McGee was defending them and talking about Bloody Sunday 1916 etc etc says he diodn't agree with them but understood them. Ditto for Joe Brolly on radio and Dessie Farrell on Prime Time. Indeed McGurk lamented nobody was willing to go on and defend the No position.

I don't buy the competition thing sorry. Not a word against U2 concerts - surely a huge draw on youing people and disrupting your season for it too.

Sunnyside Up
27/02/2005, 9:15 PM
Sean Kelly is not a bigot. Tommy Kenoy is not a bigot.

Brian Kerr must be a bigot too; he doesn't believe soccer should be played in Croke Park.

Or can you only see it in Black and White?

What about those who believe GAA is in direct competition with Rugby and Soccer. It is. Soccer is big business. Why was the last Snickers World Cup in Asia, the 1994 Snickers World Cup in the United States. To agressively expand in those markets and make money, for both FIFA and the multi-national package goods companies that prop them up.

One of the few competitive advantages an amateur organisation like the GAA has over these global sports organisations is Croke Park. This is business and you keep your advantage. End of story. It is nothing to do with bigotry,1921, Union Jacks or Garrison Games. Who gives a flying fcuk about that. But we do give a sh#t that Gaelic Games continue to thrive. As such, it is not our national duty to provide billboard space for Snickers, Coca Cola, Merchandise United, Fairyland(tm), in one of the finest stadia in Europe and allow our own sports to be squeezed out by the marketing dollars/euro FIFA has at its disposal.

And don't tell me that can't happen. Just look at the US where money, media coverage, sponsorship, etc, of American Football, Basketball and Baseball kills every other sport.

Donal81
27/02/2005, 11:08 PM
I don't thijk SF has a position on Croke Park but the extremists in NI oppsoed to the opening of Croke Park aree more likely to be SF supporters wouldn't you think?

The main reason for keeping Croke Park closed is bigotry. Even today's debate on RTE radio with Tom McGurk, Eugene McGee etc McGee was defending them and talking about Bloody Sunday 1916 etc etc says he diodn't agree with them but understood them. Ditto for Joe Brolly on radio and Dessie Farrell on Prime Time. Indeed McGurk lamented nobody was willing to go on and defend the No position.

I don't buy the competition thing sorry. Not a word against U2 concerts - surely a huge draw on youing people and disrupting your season for it too.

Your point about U2 can be discounted. That's a concert - people aren't going to stop playing GAA because they like U2. On the other hand, a GAA person may well be apprehensive about giving further publicity to a game such as soccer which is shoved in our faces through advertising, Sky Sports, etc, on a phenomenal basis.

I spoke to the operator of a major GAA supporters' website recently and he said that's the main reason on the ground: fear that the numbers of kids playing gaelic and especially hurling are dropping in certain parts of the country. It might not be a rational fear - to think that opening Croker even temporarily will seriously damage the GAA - but it is a genuine grassroots one. Who are you to think that these people are secretly bigoted against protestants, British, whoever? I would love to see soccer played in Croke Park but many of my friends who play GAA and support it are against it. They are most definitely not bigots and I'm offended by your suggestion, to be honest.

Your connection between Sinn Fein and Croke Park is just ridiculous. If Sinn Fein/IRA people around Ireland choose to oppose the opening of Croke Park on their twisted logic, then so be it. That does not in any way connect others opposed to its opening to Sinn Fein, how in God's name does it?

Sinn Fein were opposed to the Nice Treaty. I was too (initially). Am I a bigot?

the extremists in NI oppsoed to the opening of Croke Park aree more likely to be SF supporters wouldn't you think?

So what? What of those such as Limerick GAA, which is against it? Limerick has not one Sinn Fein councillor or TD for a pretty big electorate. Are they under-the-bed bigots too or maybe just conservative and afraid of a massive change which might negatively affect the GAA?

What of half the GAA membership that is also opposed to it who are not from Northern Ireland and are not connected in any way to SF/IRA? What of all the GAA members in NI opposed to its opening who have no connection to SF/IRA? Are they all just bigots?

Plenty of SF/IRA members came from Roscommon but Roscommon GAA supports Croker's opening.

You've made an argument before about local GAA goings-on that are uncomfortably close to full blown support for the IRA in that area. This is fine. I don't think this represents the GAA as a whole and I don't think it's an institutional thing but your argument is a strong one and more than stands up.

This one is just ridiculous.

gspain
28/02/2005, 7:31 AM
Brian Kerr is not oipposed to football in Croke Park. This was a disgraceful comment by Eugene McGee yesterday. He admitted there were GAA bigots and then tried to claim there were "sockUR bigots" who wouldn't want anything to do with Croke Park incl Brian Kerr. Kerr was very diplomatic when interviewed and said it wasn't available. Anybody that thinks that if Croke Park is opened up that there will be a rump of football and rugby fans arguing against using it for idealogical reasons is in dreamland.

SF/IRA is clouding the issue - I have issues with GAA support in certain areas for them and official policy albeit in writing but not in practice. I doubt if they are too bothered by the campaign.

Indeed as you argue most of the opponents of Rule 42 in the Republic are more likely to be Fianna Fail/FG or whoever.

I don't buy the competition one bit. The GAA won't stop any football or rugby matches going ahead or been bombarded on TV as you claim. They'll be beamed in from Cardiff or Old Trafford or Anfield.

The only difference is the GAA will not get the revenue in rent and instead it will go to Man Utd or Liverpool to open more megastores - maybe in Ireland instead of the money being used to promoted hurling in Dublin.

Also how come no other sporting organisation in the world has similar rules and practices.

It is bigotry pure and simple. It is a minority and indeed a tiny minority of GAA people in general but the kind of guys with a zeal and drive to be in positions of influence.

Paddy Power currently has Rule 42 odds on to Stay. Paddy (or Stewart Kenny) is a very rich man and he doesn't get it wrong often.

I actually believe the only way it will go is if there is a GAA backlash against the bigots and the ordinary members see real damage being done to the association by them.

Last year the motions got blocked and not much comment.

This year they blocked the motions and there was an outcry. Dessie Farrell, Joe Brolly and even Eugene McGee - respected GAA people all give the main reason as being 1916, Bloody Sunday etc and in fairness all 3 said it was crazy. Joe Brolly even said his father (Francie SF MLA and "The GAA is synonymous with Republicanism" quote) was in favour of opening it up.

I know one person in Limerick who contributes a signifcant sum each year to his local GAA club but is mor eof a rugby fan and he wrote last week and told them he won't be making any further contributions if Limerick vote against the opening of Croke Park.

Donal81
28/02/2005, 8:56 AM
Brian Kerr is not oipposed to football in Croke Park. This was a disgraceful comment by Eugene McGee yesterday. He admitted there were GAA bigots and then tried to claim there were "sockUR bigots" who wouldn't want anything to do with Croke Park incl Brian Kerr. Kerr was very diplomatic when interviewed and said it wasn't available. Anybody that thinks that if Croke Park is opened up that there will be a rump of football and rugby fans arguing against using it for idealogical reasons is in dreamland.

[QUOTE=gspain]SF/IRA is clouding the issue - I have issues with GAA support in certain areas for them and official policy albeit in writing but not in practice. I doubt if they are too bothered by the campaign.

SF/IRA is clouding the issue because you connected opposition to Croker opening to support for SF/IRA. It sounds even more ridiculous now.

Indeed as you argue most of the opponents of Rule 42 in the Republic are more likely to be Fianna Fail/FG or whoever.

So you were just shooting your mouth off when it came to the SF bit? But these people are still bigots, right?

I don't buy the competition one bit. The GAA won't stop any football or rugby matches going ahead or been bombarded on TV as you claim. They'll be beamed in from Cardiff or Old Trafford or Anfield.

The only difference is the GAA will not get the revenue in rent and instead it will go to Man Utd or Liverpool to open more megastores - maybe in Ireland instead of the money being used to promoted hurling in Dublin.

This is a fair point. Again, I would love to see it opened. However, the fact that the GAA won't stop matches being beamed in from Cardiff is a million miles away from it happening literally on their own doorstep.

Also how come no other sporting organisation in the world has similar rules and practices.

Because very few organisations share the same history as the GAA. That's quite simple, really.

It is bigotry pure and simple. It is a minority and indeed a tiny minority of GAA people in general but the kind of guys with a zeal and drive to be in positions of influence.

I actually believe the only way it will go is if there is a GAA backlash against the bigots and the ordinary members see real damage being done to the association by them.

What are you talking about? The GAA isn't a dictatorship (no matter what the motions committee try on). Who are the 'ordinary members?' This is a bigoted minority? Go to www.anfearrua.com, the most popular GAA supporters' website. It's 50-50 there, according to their polls. These are just fans. This is not a minority, where the hell are you getting this particular nugget from?

I started off with respect for your argument but it increasingly seems that you're just mouthing off about GAA and its connections to SF/IRA and connecting all this to Croke Park which, again, is just ridiculous.

lopez
28/02/2005, 9:00 AM
Can we get past this notion that those opposed to soccer in Croker are bigots? "The narrow minded bigots that seem to call the shots.I can't. These people believe that they are somehow more 'Irish' than the rest of the country. They let in American football. If it's competition they fear, then allow hockey and cricket to be played on their grounds.

Hopefully those who can't stand the GAA & it's sports will not attend Croker soccer matches!Normally I'd agree you had a point. But after years of witnessing the GAA in Britain using football grounds while banning any reciprocation in Ireland, I'll be making an exception this time, if it's allright by you. True, the GAA in Britain are probably less xenophobic. For instance, the ban on 'Crown forces' members in the GAA was never enforced, possibly due to the argument of an occupying force being rendered meaningless. I remember a Birmingham detective that was murdered about a decade ago who was quite involved with the Warwickshire county board.

BTW, wasn't hurling as much harmed by Gaelic football as by any of the games that the 'foreign' games that the bigots are currently complaining of. Hurling - the great Irish sport played by Cuchaillin - usurped by the hybrid, who many historians of the sport in Ireland contend was really a 'handling and carrying' sport more akin to rugby. There is even an argument that 'Gaelic' football has as much in common with pre-GAA football as 'Tura lura lura (An Irish Lullaby)', 'Galway Bay' and 'It's a great day for the Irish' is representative of traditional Irish music.

As such, it is not our national duty to provide billboard space for Snickers, Coca Cola, Merchandise United, Fairyland(tm), in one of the finest stadia in Europe and allow our own sports to be squeezed out by the marketing dollars/euro FIFA has at its disposal.So foreign companies never advertise on Croke Park billboards or within the programmes? :confused:

I spoke to the operator of a major GAA supporters' website recently and he said that's the main reason on the ground: fear that the numbers of kids playing gaelic and especially hurling are dropping in certain parts of the country. It might not be a rational fear - to think that opening Croker even temporarily will seriously damage the GAA - but it is a genuine grassroots one.As Wexfordclockend's link showed, the question many people were asking was 'Are we that insecure?' Are you? Is the GAA - who its supporters tell us constantly, promote the best sports in the world - think that the opening of their grounds (for which they will get paid) will damage their sports? I agree with Senor Espana and indeed many of the posters on the link provided by Wexford: This is garbage! 1. The horse has already bolted - kids are already playing football: many playing Gaelic football and hurling at the same time aswell. And so there is only money to be made out of such a move and keep it within Ireland rather than whereever we have to play our games. 2. The cultural advantage that the sport has in many schools in Ireland. 3. Isn't it about time that the GAA went on the offensive? I'm back with our friends in Birmingham here. A young bloke from the North received an Irish Post award last year (I was at the awards ceremony and met the lovely mother of Damian Duff there too) for getting Gaelic football introduced in the sports curriculum of Birmingham schools, most of whom were secular comprehensives. A competition now exists where schools of mostly non-Irish background compete against each other. If GAA people are so concerned about the 'proselytising' of soccer, isn't it about time the GAA did a bit of it themselves. Or is this just another example of its bigotry in that the games should remain within the Irish community?

Donal81
28/02/2005, 10:58 AM
I can't. These people believe that they are somehow more 'Irish' than the rest of the country. They let in American football. If it's competition they fear, then allow hockey and cricket to be played on their grounds.

As Wexfordclockend's link showed, the question many people were asking was 'Are we that insecure?' Are you? Is the GAA - who its supporters tell us constantly, promote the best sports in the world - think that the opening of their grounds (for which they will get paid) will damage their sports? I agree with Senor Espana and indeed many of the posters on the link provided by Wexford: This is garbage! 1. The horse has already bolted - kids are already playing football: many playing Gaelic football and hurling at the same time aswell. And so there is only money to be made out of such a move and keep it within Ireland rather than whereever we have to play our games. 2. The cultural advantage that the sport has in many schools in Ireland. 3. Isn't it about time that the GAA went on the offensive? I'm back with our friends in Birmingham here. A young bloke from the North received an Irish Post award last year (I was at the awards ceremony and met the lovely mother of Damian Duff there too) for getting Gaelic football introduced in the sports curriculum of Birmingham schools, most of whom were secular comprehensives. A competition now exists where schools of mostly non-Irish background compete against each other. If GAA people are so concerned about the 'proselytising' of soccer, isn't it about time the GAA did a bit of it themselves. Or is this just another example of its bigotry in that the games should remain within the Irish community?

Why are you asking me am I insecure? I've written several times that I would love to see soccer and rugby in Croke Park, did you read that part of my post? The only reason I'm arguing here is because it's too easy for people to just put it down to bigotry when that's just not the case.

Yes there are indeed bigots within the GAA as there are bigots within the soccer community and the rugby community. Some people are opposed to Croker opening because of the Black and Tans, because of 1916, because of 800 years and all that. But not all of them are, is it really that difficult to understand?

Why is it that the picture being painted here by Lopez and gspain of GAA supporters against Croker opening is of militant extremists with a whiff of sulphur about them who hate the west Brit prods that play soccer and won't open Croker to Irish soccer and rugby because they won't let those heathens sully our sacred stadium with their British hands and feet? This is just so plainly ridiculous I can't believe you're getting away with it. So many of my friends and family love and play GAA. The GAA club in my area has done so much for the community as has the soccer club. Plenty of them are against it opening and do not dare to call them bigoted against soccer or English sports or whatever it is that they're apparently bigoted against.

The refusal to accept the notion that GAA supporters might be slightly concerned about competition with soccer and rugby is ludicrous. I might disagree with those who are opposed to opening Croke Park but I'm not just going to call them bigots because we soccer fans aren't going to get our way.

There are some clowns on this forum.

lopez
28/02/2005, 11:43 AM
Why are you asking me am I insecure?
Because you're the one saying it's all down to fear of competition from sports.

Some people are opposed to Croker opening because of the Black and Tans, because of 1916, because of 800 years and all that. But not all of them are, is it really that difficult to understand?
Is it not that difficult to understand that the opening of Croke Park to soccer will have little effect on the GAA other than bring in money.

Why is it that the picture being painted here by Lopez and gspain of GAA supporters against Croker opening is of militant extremists with a whiff of sulphur about them who hate the west Brit prods that play soccer and won't open Croker to Irish soccer and rugby because they won't let those heathens sully our sacred stadium with their British hands and feet? This is just so plainly ridiculous I can't believe you're getting away with it.
I'm not supporting GSpain's view of the GAA being the athletic wing of the IRA. Go back and read our slanging match before coming out with sh*te like that. I'm saying that there are a number of people within the GAA that feel we are less Irish for playing and watching 'soccer'. It wasn't long ago that the late mouthpiece for the GAA in Britain, John Barratt (brother of a Kerry footballer who I think is JJ Barrett) used his column in the Irish Post to call a friend of mine who was then chairman of the London Branch of the RISSC, a 'second class Irishman.' Your friends may have genuine or ill-founded fears about soccer encroaching on their patch, but Barratt's statement tells me that there is a section of the GAA family (however small) who see this in pure terms of bigotry.

The refusal to accept the notion that GAA supporters might be slightly concerned about competition with soccer and rugby is ludicrous. I might disagree with those who are opposed to opening Croke Park but I'm not just going to call them bigots because we soccer fans aren't going to get our way.

There are some clowns on this forum.Well it looks like being enriched by the appearance of yet another clown. So the concerns about competition with soccer and rugby are ludicrous? A blanket statement without any backup. And yet you haven't commented on my three points about the GAA. That soccer is well established and that opening up the grounds will only bring money into the GAA and its clubs while also maintaining a healthy payday for Dublin businesses on big match days. That the GAA has a huge advantage in Irish schools over soccer and rugby and therefore it will still have plenty of recruits. That the GAA is reluctant to expand its 'customer base' even though, even amongst the English, it has been proved by the perseverence of individuals that there are opportunities to spread the game.

Donal81
28/02/2005, 1:33 PM

No I am not and I have never said that, not once, I have always conceded that there are bigots within the GAA, how have you missed that?

My argument from the start has been that not all those opposed to the opening of Croker are doing so because they're bigoted. What am I supposed to be insecure about? About the destruction of the GAA through opening Croke Park up? Did you not read the part where I said I would love to see soccer played in the place?

I'm not supporting GSpain's view of the GAA being the athletic wing of the IRA. Go back and read our slanging match before coming out with sh*te like that.

True, you're not and apologies if it read like that but you are lumping all those opposed in together, bigots with normal decent GAA supporters with rubbish like this below:

I can't. These people believe that they are somehow more 'Irish' than the rest of the country.

If you're referring to the GAA bible belt people who hate all things English, you're spot on. If you're putting together all supporters who are opposed to opening Croke Park, that's just wrong.

I'm saying that there are a number of people within the GAA that feel we are less Irish for playing and watching 'soccer'. It wasn't long ago that the late mouthpiece for the GAA in Britain, John Barratt (brother of a Kerry footballer who I think is JJ Barrett) used his column in the Irish Post to call a friend of mine who was then chairman of the London Branch of the RISSC, a 'second class Irishman.' Your friends may have genuine or ill-founded fears about soccer encroaching on their patch, but Barratt's statement tells me that there is a section of the GAA family (however small) who see this in pure terms of bigotry.

Firstly, you refer to "soccer encroaching on their patch." These friends also follow soccer and are regulars in Lansdowne.

I've always agreed that there are people in the GAA that see the situation through bigotry, just not all of them! How hard is this to understand? Now you're saying that there is only a section of the GAA family that's bigoted. I thought it was everyone opposed to the Croke Park situation?

Well it looks like being enriched by the appearance of yet another clown. So the concerns about competition with soccer and rugby are ludicrous? A blanket statement without any backup. And yet you haven't commented on my three points about the GAA. That soccer is well established and that opening up the grounds will only bring money into the GAA and its clubs while also maintaining a healthy payday for Dublin businesses on big match days. That the GAA has a huge advantage in Irish schools over soccer and rugby and therefore it will still have plenty of recruits. That the GAA is reluctant to expand its 'customer base' even though, even amongst the English, it has been proved by the perseverence of individuals that there are opportunities to spread the game.

Not accepting that GAA people are concerned about competition and that their only motivation is bigotry is indeed ludicrous. Whether or not GAA peoples' fears about competition from other sports is based on pure fact doesn't matter to this argument, that's why I didn't bother responding the first time. It may well enhance the GAA, it may hinder its development. The fact is that a lot of GAA people think that opening Croke Park to soccer and rugby will negatively affect gaelic games. This is not bigoted, this is based on competitiveness. Whether or not they're being realistic is irrelevant to this particular argument. To the overall Croke Park argument, it's obviously relevant.

The same thing applies to the second point. They do indeed have an advantage in that national schools largely only play GAA. However, the fear is still there, whether it's realistic or not. This doesn't come down to hatred of all things English, does it?

As for the third point, I don't know anything about the GAA's lack of attempts to spread the game around the world, I've never spent time in England, Australia, etc. I don't really see how this is relevant to the argument on Croke Park. There are bigots in the GAA. I accept this and I'm not blindly defending an organisation with many flaws. However, there are other reasons out there for the opposition to Croke Park such as competition, dislike of an incompetent FAI, selfishness in not wanting to help out another sport. Not everyone against it is a bigot and this is what you're arguing.

gspain
28/02/2005, 8:54 PM
I still don't get the competition argument. Most kids play a number of different sports anyway. No doubt yesterday's great win over England at rugby may encourage some kids to give their allegiance to rugby in future. Now fast forward 2 years and the game will go ahead no matter what. It may be in Cardiff or even the new Wembley but anyway it will still be totally sold out. It will still get the same tv coverage and the IRFU will still pocket roughly the same amount of money. I really can't see it makes any difference where the game is played from that perspective unless you think GAA kids would be more likely to watch it because the game is in Croke Park and then they'd give up their GAA allegiance when they see rugby in their stadium.

Now if Croke Park remains closed there will be a huge anti GAA backlash among football and rugby people particularly when we are getting on boats and planes to Manchester, Liverpool or Cardiff. I also believe the GAA has got off very lightly in the past Surely this will lead to a hardening of attitudes and less young people playing GAA and the GAA getting more critical press in the future.

It is blindly obvious that the F.A.I. have been playing many more home friendlies than away friendlies in recent years with the return games likely to take place during the redevelopment of Lansdowne. We had 40,000 fans in Paris last October so I've little doubt that we sellout our big home games in the 2008/2010 qualifiers. There would be a clear revenue loss as games v the Faroes or Cyprus for example would hardly be big money spinners and you could I suppose argue that the F.A.I. would have less money to invest in youth coaching etc. However likewise the GAA would not have the potential rental income from Croke Park and would have the additional maintenance costs of an 80,000+ capacity stadium lying idle for 8 months of the year.

So ultimately in my view it comes down to the strong nationalist traditions in the GAA. It comes down to Bloody Sunday to Hill 16 being built from the rubble of the GPO and it comes down to GSTQ being belted out by 18,000 English(wo)men with the cross of St. George fluttering overhead. - I can actually think of a far worse scenario for these "traditionalists" - imagine we play Northern ireland in football and GSTQ is belted out and the Union Jack is flown for Northern Ireland because whatever the many objections to GSTQ being sung for England at Croke Park it would be multiplied ten fold if sung for Northern Ireland. Who knows maybe Liz will have had enough and abdicated in favour of her grandson by then so it could be God Save the King instead and the first King Billy for over 300 years.............. :eek: :eek:

gspain
28/02/2005, 9:07 PM
Just to correct one thing I posted earlier. Sunnysideup claimed Peter Canavan was in civvies in the SF advert. This is correct. Sean Teague - captain - was in the Tyrone jersey and a ladies player was in the GAA tracksuit. Canavan did not display the GAA logo in the leaflet.

gspain
28/02/2005, 9:15 PM
Not accepting that GAA people are concerned about competition and that their only motivation is bigotry is indeed ludicrous. Whether or not GAA peoples' fears about competition from other sports is based on pure fact doesn't matter to this argument, that's why I didn't bother responding the first time. It may well enhance the GAA, it may hinder its development. The fact is that a lot of GAA people think that opening Croke Park to soccer and rugby will negatively affect gaelic games. This is not bigoted, this is based on competitiveness. Whether or not they're being realistic is irrelevant to this particular argument. To the overall Croke Park argument, it's obviously relevant.

OK how come no other sporting organisation has ever closed its doors to another one because of competition then?

Why isn't there a rump in the IRFU against football at Lansdowne road?

Real Sociedad bent over backwards to accomodate Biarritz v Munster - are they not worried about competition.

Listen to your own GAA people if you don't believe me - Dessie Farrell, Joe Brolly etc etc.

Call it tradition, call it conservative or use any euphemisms you like. We all know what it is B I G O T R Y

Did the GAA face the competition argument when they asked for Wembley, for Highbury, for Stamford Bridge, for Elland Road, for rugby grounds in Paris or football grounds in Italy or baseball grounds in New York?

Why didn't Linfield use it when a local camoige team asked to use Windsor Park?

It is a rump. it is a minority but it exists and it is very powerful.

lopez
28/02/2005, 10:16 PM
No I am not and I have never said that, not once, I have always conceded that there are bigots within the GAA, how have you missed that?
You are by proxy saying it for others, bigots or not. You support the opening of Croke Park. Amen. I support immigration into Ireland. F*cked if I'm going to stand up for those mates of mine - none of which are bigots of course - who are worried about the danger of the competition to jobs, women, future colour of your typical Irishman.

If you're referring to the GAA bible belt people who hate all things English, you're spot on. If you're putting together all supporters who are opposed to opening Croke Park, that's just wrong.
From the start it was always a minority, albeit one that is in control. See http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=218784&postcount=32 for my two cents.

Firstly, you refer to "soccer encroaching on their patch." These friends also follow soccer and are regulars in Lansdowne.
Sorry but I'm beginning to feel that we have some bandwagon boarders here. Love 'soccer' unless it's played on holy Gaelic turf. Please!!! I like 'soccer' yet in the domestic sphere watch more Zurich League rugby (no prizes for guessing which club). I also like hurling although, and forgive me if I'm about to insult a holy cow, can't stand 'Gaelic' football. Is there a conflict here. I can't see it myself.

I've always agreed that there are people in the GAA that see the situation through bigotry, just not all of them! How hard is this to understand? Now you're saying that there is only a section of the GAA family that's bigoted. I thought it was everyone opposed to the Croke Park situation?
See the post above. Let's have a straight democratic vote. Or even better why not let the various clubs and county boards decide. Horses for course eh? Take Limerick. Solid working class rugby city. No excuses of a threat to 'Gaelic' here. What if the local GAA and the Muster RU got together to build a super stadium to share and rent out to 'soccer', American football, Korfball, W*nkball even. It makes economic sense. Only blind bigotry would stop this.

I don't know anything about the GAA's lack of attempts to spread the game around the world, I've never spent time in England, Australia, etc. I don't really see how this is relevant to the argument on Croke Park. There are bigots in the GAA. I accept this and I'm not blindly defending an organisation with many flaws. However, there are other reasons out there for the opposition to Croke Park such as competition, dislike of an incompetent FAI, selfishness in not wanting to help out another sport. Not everyone against it is a bigot and this is what you're arguing.
You suggest to speak as a GAA person, but feign ignorance on the GAA's attempts at spreading the word. Look at the votes that come at conference. These are a simple reflection of the diaspora. Ireland top, followed by Britain and the US with Australia, Canada a poor third and a couple of votes from 'Europe.' In fact it's not a reflection of the diaspora: It's a reflection of the diaspora post-Cusack. The relevance to this argument is this: You say that the GAA is fearful of soccer being played on its turf will destroy its games. And yet, why has it not gone on the offensive into areas outside the Irish orbit. To use your favourite refrain: 'How hard is this to understand?' The bloke in Birmingham has proved it. Going alone he promoted a game tougher than soccer yet without the injuries of rugby. He managed it. FFS, get out and sell the game. Instead the GAA - while not confining the game to pure sons of the Milesians - have confined their games to Ireland and Irish communities. Those non-Irish that play the games come into it by pure coincidence, usually by Irish friends. In contrast, look at Irish dancing. It's a phenomenal success in Britain and looks like being a success in Europe. In my daughters school there are no 1st generation Irish, a minority of 2nd and 3rd generation Irish girls with about 2/3 taken up by girls with no Irish blood. The half time Irish dancing in Amsterdam in 2000 with a large number of dancers of African origin proves that this aspect of Irish culture is successfully being exported. It's time the GAA did the same instead of slogans like 'It's part of what we are' which suggest that the GAA is insular.

Donal81
01/03/2005, 8:44 AM
You are by proxy saying it for others, bigots or not. You support the opening of Croke Park. Amen. I support immigration into Ireland. F*cked if I'm going to stand up for those mates of mine - none of which are bigots of course - who are worried about the danger of the competition to jobs, women, future colour of your typical Irishman.

Now you are completely out of order. You have no right whatsoever to make a judgement on people you don't even know and you're insulting friends of mine. You're connecting this to bigotry without a shred of evidence. Cop yourself on.

Sorry but I'm beginning to feel that we have some bandwagon boarders here. Love 'soccer' unless it's played on holy Gaelic turf. Please!!! I like 'soccer' yet in the domestic sphere watch more Zurich League rugby (no prizes for guessing which club). I also like hurling although, and forgive me if I'm about to insult a holy cow, can't stand 'Gaelic' football. Is there a conflict here. I can't see it myself.

No, what I meant was that these people aren't anti-British, aren't bigots, love soccer, love rugby, love GAA. They don't think the GAA should have to open Croke Park and it's not for bigoted reasons. Oh sorry, you know better, they are bigoted, I'm just making all this up.

See the post above. Let's have a straight democratic vote. Or even better why not let the various clubs and county boards decide. Horses for course eh? Take Limerick. Solid working class rugby city. No excuses of a threat to 'Gaelic' here. What if the local GAA and the Muster RU got together to build a super stadium to share and rent out to 'soccer', American football, Korfball, W*nkball even. It makes economic sense. Only blind bigotry would stop this.

Well, I don't know many from Limerick nor their position on Croke Park. The Limerick GAA board opposes the opening of Croke Park. So far, I've read that they're wary of Rule 42 changing as it might lead to GAA grounds in Limerick such as the Gaelic Grounds opening up to Munster rugby or the likes. I've no beef with that. A lot of people in Limerick would. Some because they hate all things British. Others because they don't want to give their competitors a hand for competitive reasons. There is a difference between the two, which you can't accept.

By the way, Limerick GAA previously supported Croke Park opening but changed their minds, largely as a result of the Gaelic Grounds issue. What, they just woke up and turned into bigots, is that what happened?

You suggest to speak as a GAA person, but feign ignorance on the GAA's attempts at spreading the word.

What are you talking about now? When did I suggest to speak as a 'GAA person?' Soccer is my first game and always will be, why should I know anything about the GAA's attempts to spread the game?

I'm "feigning ignorance"? Are you accusing me of lying? Get f*cked if that's the case, sorry to resort to that but you're out of order again.

Soccer is my first game but I watch Kerry and Dublin GAA games and go to Croker a few times a year. I know a lot of GAA people as I know a lot of soccer people. I don't automatically assume that these people are secret bigots and I don't see why you should.

Look at the votes that come at conference. These are a simple reflection of the diaspora. Ireland top, followed by Britain and the US with Australia, Canada a poor third and a couple of votes from 'Europe.' In fact it's not a reflection of the diaspora: It's a reflection of the diaspora post-Cusack. The relevance to this argument is this: You say that the GAA is fearful of soccer being played on its turf will destroy its games. And yet, why has it not gone on the offensive into areas outside the Irish orbit. To use your favourite refrain: 'How hard is this to understand?' The bloke in Birmingham has proved it. Going alone he promoted a game tougher than soccer yet without the injuries of rugby. He managed it. FFS, get out and sell the game. Instead the GAA - while not confining the game to pure sons of the Milesians - have confined their games to Ireland and Irish communities. Those non-Irish that play the games come into it by pure coincidence, usually by Irish friends. In contrast, look at Irish dancing. It's a phenomenal success in Britain and looks like being a success in Europe. In my daughters school there are no 1st generation Irish, a minority of 2nd and 3rd generation Irish girls with about 2/3 taken up by girls with no Irish blood. The half time Irish dancing in Amsterdam in 2000 with a large number of dancers of African origin proves that this aspect of Irish culture is successfully being exported. It's time the GAA did the same instead of slogans like 'It's part of what we are' which suggest that the GAA is insular.

Like I said in my last post and the one before that and most likely the one before that as well, I'm sure there are insular people within the GAA as there are bigots within the GAA. You think that the organisation is institutionally insular. I wouldn't call it insular and I think the GAA is too big to judge every single member but that's a decent argument. Calling everyone opposed to the opening of Croke Park bigoted is just ignorant of the situation, to be honest. Some say that it's for competitive reasons but you think that they're secret bigots, is that it?

Donal81
01/03/2005, 8:57 AM
OK how come no other sporting organisation has ever closed its doors to another one because of competition then?

Because Ireland is Ireland, with all its flaws.

Why isn't there a rump in the IRFU against football at Lansdowne road?

Maybe because the IRFU isn't concerned about its future? I never said that GAA fears about dropping numbers due to soccer were rational, I just said they were there and weren't there for bigoted reasons.

Real Sociedad bent over backwards to accomodate Biarritz v Munster - are they not worried about competition.

The last time I checked, rugby isn't quite as popular in Spain as it is in Ireland, in proportion to soccer. Nor are Real Sociedad an amateur organisation with a siege mentality.

Listen to your own GAA people if you don't believe me - Dessie Farrell, Joe Brolly etc etc.

I've become a GAA person now, have I? That's right, I'm actually a GAA spy that signed up to Foot.ie to see what the Sasanach are up to, I don't actually follow football at all.

Call it tradition, call it conservative or use any euphemisms you like. We all know what it is B I G O T R Y

A good argument, well done gspain, I've seen the error of my ways due to your superior debating skills.

Did the GAA face the competition argument when they asked for Wembley, for Highbury, for Stamford Bridge, for Elland Road, for rugby grounds in Paris or football grounds in Italy or baseball grounds in New York?

I don't think the FA would be too concerned about the GAA stopping kids in London and Leeds following soccer and the same goes for Paris, Italy and New York.

Maybe you're not reading this part, gspain. I know there are bigots in the GAA. Not everyone opposed to Croke Park opening is a bigot, I can personally attest to that. Oh sorry, I'm wrong, we all know it's B I G O T R Y.

lopez
01/03/2005, 9:15 AM
Now you are completely out of order. You have no right whatsoever to make a judgement on people you don't even know and you're insulting friends of mine. You're connecting this to bigotry without a shred of evidence. Cop yourself on...I'm "feigning ignorance"? Are you accusing me of lying? Get f*cked if that's the case...Time for some hankies and a copy of Asian Wives. That or a cold shower. :rolleyes:

lopez
01/03/2005, 10:24 AM
...relative paranoia...
What relative paranoia? You remember the sh*t in the John Bigot Column of the Irish Post and what he said of TB. Who the f*ck is he to call anyone 'a second class Irishman'? Anti-foreign sports this and that, then went on a big offensive apologising for hare-coursing and fox-hunting, despite them being two of the more disgusting infusions of British culture into Ireland. The only hint of paranoia round here is D81 banging on about me insulting his hypocritical (well as he said I had, I may as well give him something to complain about) friends. They love soccer but don't want to play it in Gaelic grounds: Well that is what he wrote, FFS :rolleyes: And of course calling him a liar.

And what use is a poll? Nearly everybody here who goes to Ireland games wants Croke Park opened up. If I was being selfish, and as someone that misses most home games, I'd like Ireland to play at either Vicarage Road or Kenilworth Road. But then the economy - and esteem - of the country is more important not to mention the convenience for most people who attend current home interntionals.

Agree with WCE......If you hate the GAA so much,WTF would you be doing in their stadium supporting any team?Because as I said, the hypocrisy and double standards of the GAA viz a viz 'soccer' stadiums outside Ireland means that argument is null and void. Anyway, you never been to Ibrox or Old Trafford? Has WCE never been to WHL? If the answer is Yes, then who are both of you to tell people to boycott the grounds belonging to organisations that people hate? Next you'll be telling me not to wear my Celtic top to Ireland games. :rolleyes:

Donal81
01/03/2005, 11:16 AM
Time for some hankies and a copy of Asian Wives. That or a cold shower. :rolleyes:

Your response was almost as good as gspain's B I G O T R Y one. Not quite, though.

Donal81
01/03/2005, 11:39 AM
The only hint of paranoia round here is D81 banging on about me insulting his hypocritical (well as he said I had, I may as well give him something to complain about) friends. They love soccer but don't want to play it in Gaelic grounds: Well that is what he wrote, FFS :rolleyes: And of course calling him a liar.

You called them bigots, Lopez, did you not? That equals insulting them as it's not true.

And then you said I feign ignorance of GAA spreading the games? That equals accusing me of lying.

Donal81
01/03/2005, 11:47 AM
They love soccer but don't want to play it in Gaelic grounds: Well that is what he wrote, FFS :rolleyes: And of course calling him a liar.

They love soccer but don't want to see gaelic games suffer through Croke Park. I don't agree but don't believe they're bigots in their opinions.

wexfordclockend
01/03/2005, 12:36 PM
Despite some believing that Hurling abroad is just popular with the Irish diaspora the game itself is spreading in the US midwest states without any help from the GAA . Milwalkee (http://www.hurling.net/mhc.html)

The sooner Hurling splits from the GAA the sooner Liam Griffins vision to spread Hurling around will become reality. As he was quoted as saying it's to good to keep in Ireland only!

lopez
01/03/2005, 12:57 PM
They love soccer but don't want to see gaelic games suffer through Croke Park. I don't agree but don't believe they're bigots in their opinions.Nice to see you took my advice about hankies and Asian Wives. :D

I know people who love Black women, Black music, Black anything, but just don't want them in their country because they fear for the identity of Britain/Ireland/take your pick, and not because they don't like Blacks. Didn't I mention that they like their women, music and have a token one they talk to everyone about. Of course they're not racist. :rolleyes:

So I insulted your friends. Well, nice people I'm sure they are, I'm judging them on what you are stating about them. 'They love soccer but don't want to see gaelic games suffer through Croke Park.' Hmmm??? Still hypocrites from where I'm standing. Or bigots if you prefer.

As for your 'feigned ignorance' of the GAA spreading the game being an accusation of lying? More an accusation of ignorance although whatever way you take it is fine by me. You state that having not lived abroad excuses you that the news of attempts of spreading the GAA gospel is naturally beyond you, someone that clearly suggests he has his finger on the pulse of GAA thinking (my mates, my mate's website etc.). Yet all you have to do is see the list of votes for the GAA congress or the lack of international competition to find out Gaelic games are confined to areas of 20C Irish migration. It's pretty obvious to anyone that either the GAA has attempted proselytising and failed miserably or hasn't bothered at all. My example in Birmingham suggests it's the latter. Why? Because a lone individual with minimum help above county level successfully lobbied secular schools to take on the sport in one part of Britain. Point is, if the GAA people are so worried about their games suffering why don't they do what every other sport does and move into new markets?

lopez
01/03/2005, 1:01 PM
The sooner Hurling splits from the GAA the sooner Liam Griffins vision to spread Hurling around will become reality. As he was quoted as saying it's to good to keep in Ireland only!I totally agree with you there. However you're back to relying on the GAA for the use of grounds unless counties that are heavily into the game split completely (Tipp, Kilkenny, Clare, etc). Bit of problem with Cork and Galway though.

Schumi
01/03/2005, 1:03 PM
I totally agree with you there. However you're back to relying on the GAA for the use of grounds unless counties that are heavily into the game split completely (Tipp, Kilkenny, Clare, etc). Bit of problem with Cork and Galway though.
Would hurling become a foreign game then? ;)

lopez
01/03/2005, 1:13 PM
Would hurling become a foreign game then? ;)No, but if the game grew to threaten 'Gaelic' football, wouldn't there be the same arguments from our difinitely-not-one-bit-bigoted friends that the game should be banned from their grounds because of the threat it poses? Personally, hurling is up there with Jai Alai/Pelota: A truly great sport that we would all love to play but alas few of us will ever manage. I think that's why the GAA invented 'Gaelic' football as a game that anyone could pick up.

wexfordclockend
01/03/2005, 1:36 PM
Gaelic Football & Rugby are OK I enjoy watching them but in my view are not in the same level of great entertainment as Hurling & Soccer!

Anyway back to the topic in hand! I agree with most of this articleCroker (http://www.anfearrua.com/ViewSectionDetail.asp?docid=1538)

As for the Hurling split Splintergroup (http://www.anfearrua.com/ViewSectionDetail.asp?docid=53) it appears that most of Munster (apart from Kerry) & South Leinster would side with Hurling leaving the Bogballers with Croker & the Hurling side with Thurles for the finals. This has been discussed at greater length than I can manage to post here.

Donal81
01/03/2005, 1:42 PM
I know people who love Black women, Black music, Black anything, but just don't want them in their country because they fear for the identity of Britain/Ireland/take your pick, and not because they don't like Blacks. Didn't I mention that they like their women, music and have a token one they talk to everyone about. Of course they're not racist. :rolleyes:

So I insulted your friends. Well, nice people I'm sure they are, I'm judging them on what you are stating about them. 'They love soccer but don't want to see gaelic games suffer through Croke Park.' Hmmm??? Still hypocrites from where I'm standing. Or bigots if you prefer.

Racism has nothing to do with the examples that I'm talking about, you either know it or are seriously deluded and shame on you for using it. "Still hypocrites...or bigots if you prefer." How the hell is someone a bigot against soccer or against English or whatever it is they're supposed to be biogted against if they follow soccer? You can't accept for one second that someone might be concerned about the effect on GAA if Croker is opened? Why did Limerick GAA support the opening of Croke Park and then change their minds? Momentarily relapsed bigots, is that it?

As for your 'feigned ignorance' of the GAA spreading the game being an accusation of lying? More an accusation of ignorance although whatever way you take it is fine by me. You state that having not lived abroad excuses you that the news of attempts of spreading the GAA gospel is naturally beyond you, someone that clearly suggests he has his finger on the pulse of GAA thinking (my mates, my mate's website etc.)

How do you write such tripe? Feign means to pretend or fake, in case you didn't know. I don't know anything of the GAA's attempts or lack thereof in spreading the games, so what? I never said I did. It doesn't have anything in the slightest to do with my argument that not all those opposed to opening Croker are bigoted, not on iota.

In the same way that you said

You suggest to speak as a GAA person

and let's not forget

You're justing making things up. I do not claim to have my finger on the pulse of GAA thinking and I never did so stop putting words in my mouth. What I do claim is that I know plenty of people associated with the GAA who have a genuine fear that the games might suffer.

Yet all you have to do is see the list of votes for the GAA congress or the lack of international competition to find out Gaelic games are confined to areas of 20C Irish migration. It's pretty obvious to anyone that either the GAA has attempted proselytising and failed miserably or hasn't bothered at all. My example in Birmingham suggests it's the latter. Why? Because a lone individual with minimum help above county level successfully lobbied secular schools to take on the sport in one part of Britain. Point is, if the GAA people are so worried about their games suffering why don't they do what every other sport does and move into new markets?

I don't know why they don't move into new markets. I don't know why they don't attempt to follow Irish dancing and make the game global. I'm not in the GAA and have never considered this before, to be honest. All I know in relation to this argument is that there are decent people out there who are not bigoted and want to see Croke Park stay the way it is, I can personally attest to that. You have examples of GAA bigots, that's cool, I've never doubted they exist. In fact, I'm sure there are loads of them who think I'm a west Brit and nothing more. But to say that the entire 'keep Croker closed' camp is bigoted is just incorrect.

lopez
01/03/2005, 2:07 PM
Oh dear! :( Time for another browse through Asian wives

Racism has nothing to do with the examples that I'm talking about, you either know it or are seriously deluded and shame on you for using it. "Still hypocrites...or bigots if you prefer."
Yes they do as both are excused as merely down to fear.

Why did Limerick GAA support the opening of Croke Park and then change their minds? Momentarily relapsed bigots, is that it?
Perhaps they had a change of staff on the decision board.

How do you write such tripe?
I've been meaning to ask you the same thing.

Feign means to pretend or fake, in case you didn't know. I don't know anything of the GAA's attempts or lack thereof in spreading the games, so what? I never said I did. It doesn't have anything in the slightest to do with my argument that not all those opposed to opening Croker are bigoted, not on iota.
Feign means that you are faking ignorance of the GAA policy of expansion. For someone that has been banging on about 'genuine fears for the game,' this 'I know nothing about it' policy strikes me as b*llocks. Take it whatever way you like. As for the connection with the debate at hand, it certainly does. You're saying that your friends believe the games are under threat by opening up Croke Park. Surely some compensation for this ridiculous notion could be gained by moving onto 'soccer's' turf abroad. It's been successfull in Birmingham as I'm repeating ad nauseaum. :rolleyes:

You're justing making things up. I do not claim to have my finger on the pulse of GAA thinking and I never did so stop putting words in my mouth. What I do claim is that I know plenty of people associated with the GAA who have a genuine fear that the games might suffer.
And I know some people who have a 'genuine' fear of immigration. Should I defend them? And to me, you do give the impression that you have your finger on the pulse of the GAA.

I don't know why they don't move into new markets. I don't know why they don't attempt to follow Irish dancing and make the game global.So despite all these 'genuine fears' for the survival of the GAA you have never asked why the GAA doesn't spread the game, 'go global' as you say? FFS! :rolleyes:

Éanna
01/03/2005, 2:58 PM
maybe the mods.can put a poll on here,to see who on here wants to see Croker opened up?I will put a poll up on this thread so. Maybe that will end all the squabbling. This thread has become impossible to read

FYI The poll is public, i.e. people can see who voted what way.

Donal81
01/03/2005, 11:33 PM
Feign means that you are faking ignorance of the GAA policy of expansion. For someone that has been banging on about 'genuine fears for the game,' this 'I know nothing about it' policy strikes me as b*llocks. Take it whatever way you like. As for the connection with the debate at hand, it certainly does. You're saying that your friends believe the games are under threat by opening up Croke Park. Surely some compensation for this ridiculous notion could be gained by moving onto 'soccer's' turf abroad. It's been successfull in Birmingham as I'm repeating ad nauseaum. :rolleyes:

And I know some people who have a 'genuine' fear of immigration. Should I defend them? And to me, you do give the impression that you have your finger on the pulse of the GAA.

So despite all these 'genuine fears' for the survival of the GAA you have never asked why the GAA doesn't spread the game, 'go global' as you say? FFS! :rolleyes:

FFS nothing. I never said I have genuine fears for GAA but that I know that these people aren't opposed out of bigotry, that was my argument. You chose to take my words that way, that's your problem, nothing I've written here presents me as an authority on the GAA as I never pretended to be.

I'm a soccer fan first and a casual GAA fan second. If the GAA doesn't spread the game, why should I have thought about it before now?

Bring in immigration all you want but this doesn't make these people who you've never spoken to bigots. Why do you think you know what these people are thinking?

Another person I spoke to coaches in underage soccer and underage GAA, I'm not going to call him a bigot, hypocrite or whatever, he does a lot more for promoting soccer than I do and plenty of people on this site, I'm sure. I disagree with their argument, I think the GAA will survive just fine and that, no matter what GAA voters think of the FAI or the IRFU, professionalism vs amateurism etc, they could have some sympathy for soccer supporters when Lansdowne Road closes. This doesn't take away the fact that reasons for opposition other than bigotry exist.

They say they have a genuine fear which can't really be proved or disproved as it's in the future, it doesn't sound ridiculous to me that they would be concerned for competitve reasons about Croke Park opening, I never thought to ask them about spreading the game globally as I didn't suspect them of secretly hiding a bigotry of the garrison games that they secretly detest and that they think they're more Irish than me because of what sports they follow and I don't. I guess I'm just naiive then, thanks for setting me straight.

Thunderblaster
02/03/2005, 12:22 AM
Soccer is a gentlemans game played by ruffians, rugby is a ruffians game played by gentlemen and Gaelic games is a buffers game played by buffers. That is the popular West of Ireland urban saying.
Anyways, doesn't G.A.A. halls allow indoor soccer to be played on their premises and how many times have we seen community grounds where soccer and G.A.A. is played on the ONE PITCH. This makes a mockery of the stupid Rule 42 that has as much relevance in a modern Irish society as wipers on a motorbike.

Donal81
02/03/2005, 8:48 AM
Cheers;Would Implore everyone to vote..........my own view has been tainted by the anti-GAA slant.

How has it been tainted?

I'll definitely vote although I can't see too many people on this site saying they want Croker closed.

roboyle
02/03/2005, 10:04 AM
Soccer is a gentlemans game played by ruffians, rugby is a ruffians game played by gentlemen and Gaelic games is a buffers game played by buffers. That is the popular West of Ireland urban saying.

Ehh, I don't think I've ever heard someone from the West of Ireland use the word 'ruffian' - that's an old England word.

Pat O' Banton
02/03/2005, 4:20 PM
Ehh, I don't think I've ever heard someone from the West of Ireland use the word 'ruffian' - that's an old England word.

The Rugbo and football bit of the saying is taken from Oscar Wilde.

To much useless knowlege for his own good RISSC

gspain
02/03/2005, 7:58 PM
Interesting reading on www.anfearrua.ie - main GAA site

http://www.anfearrua.ie/ViewSectionDetail.asp?docid=1320

http://www.anfearrua.ie/ViewSectionDetail.asp?docid=50

I think it was D81 who recommended the site.

If the main opposition is that football and rugby will benefit to the detriment of the GAA from opening it up. Could somebody articulate the anti argument or provide a decent link to it. Most of it seems to be knocking the pro opening argument. There is also the argument that the "pot of gold" won't be as lucrative as predicted but surely that is up for discussion.

BTW I do accept fully that it is the GAA's stadium and that there can be no CPOs or retrospective pre-conditions put on the public money given to the GAA. It is the GAA and GAA alone who should make the decision. However I also along with the 53% in the Indo poll believe the GAA should never get another cent of public money if they keep it closed and that any organisation that sponsors the GAA in such circumstances will go way down in my estimation and I will actively seek to support competitiors.

Donal81
02/03/2005, 10:25 PM
Interesting reading on www.anfearrua.ie - main GAA site

http://www.anfearrua.ie/ViewSectionDetail.asp?docid=1320

http://www.anfearrua.ie/ViewSectionDetail.asp?docid=50

I think it was D81 who recommended the site.

If the main opposition is that football and rugby will benefit to the detriment of the GAA from opening it up. Could somebody articulate the anti argument or provide a decent link to it. Most of it seems to be knocking the pro opening argument. There is also the argument that the "pot of gold" won't be as lucrative as predicted but surely that is up for discussion.

BTW I do accept fully that it is the GAA's stadium and that there can be no CPOs or retrospective pre-conditions put on the public money given to the GAA. It is the GAA and GAA alone who should make the decision. However I also along with the 53% in the Indo poll believe the GAA should never get another cent of public money if they keep it closed and that any organisation that sponsors the GAA in such circumstances will go way down in my estimation and I will actively seek to support competitiors.

I recommended the site because it's the biggest one, I think, it gets about 2000 hits a day or something. I'm not sure how representative it is but it doesn't hurt to lean over the fence. The reason it came up is that its poll kind of defeats the notion that the GAA leadership is against soccer and rugby while 'decent' ordinary GAA folk are all for it. Also, I would reckon that the users are fairly young.

It would be miserable if we all had to troop across to Cardiff for every home game, not to mention pretty humiliating. Here's hoping they open it.

Thunderblaster
02/03/2005, 10:53 PM

The West of Ireland translation would be "shoccer ish a gaisurs game played by amadans and rugby ish an amadans game played by gaisurs." Definitely would sound good in an American made Pig in the Parlour movie set in the wild backward surroundings of Connemara. Would sound funny if an American actor can come out with that line in that real boggy, culchie accent.
No, I'm a bit better at vocabulary than that. Even Connacht has some sophisticated guys but I aint one of them.
This is the province that farmers would sell their tractors to the G.A.A. and soccerheads have to compete with the "mighty" institution of the local G.A.A. club to field teams in local matches. This is where you, allegedly, see the real dirty politics of the G.A.A. It is known that, allegedly, G.A.A. teams when they have finals, ban their players from playing soccer. That is the denial of a child to have the freedom of choice of what to play if these reports are true.

Thunderblaster
04/03/2005, 7:40 PM
If we made up congress on the rule 42 motion, it is open house to soccer and rugby, going by our fair and democratic opinion poll.

Thunderblaster
09/03/2005, 10:04 PM
Congrats lads, democracy has spoken in the opinion poll. The liberals won the argument and the diehards needs to listen to the majority.

Donal81
14/03/2005, 7:54 PM
Congrats lads, democracy has spoken in the opinion poll. The liberals won the argument and the diehards needs to listen to the majority.

Who are you referring to? Who are the liberals and who are the diehards?

Thunderblaster
14/03/2005, 11:34 PM
Who are you referring to? Who are the liberals and who are the diehards?

The twenty two that bothered to vote which is a flea to an elephant in terms of the number of eligible voters. The vote would obviously carry more weight if it was carried out with 3.5 million people. The liberals are the people that would like to see Croke Park opened up to soccer and rugby and the die hards would wish to retain the status quo on Rule 42. Back to the real world, it looks certain that Rule 42 will be retaine in its current format at Congress as all the Ulster counties will vote no and so will Limerick, which is one of the more tolerant in sporting attitudes. By the ways, soccer was played in Croke Park (Then known as Jones Road Stadium) before the GAA bought it in 1913.

JANESBOROFAN
02/04/2005, 3:28 PM
as i don't know how to post a link i would direct people who want to hear the pro rule 42 side of the argument put very powerfully to go to premierview and read mulcair on the messageboard and his article on the site.it encapsulates nearly all of the reasons why a lot of gaa members want rule 42 to stay.

Superhoops
02/04/2005, 6:55 PM
as i don't know how to post a link i would direct people who want to hear the pro rule 42 side of the argument put very powerfully to go to premierview and read mulcair on the messageboard and his article on the site.it encapsulates nearly all of the reasons why a lot of gaa members want rule 42 to stay.
you can read this article on www.premierview.ie/corabhln's%20column.htm

blobbyblob
03/04/2005, 10:15 AM
By the ways, soccer was played in Croke Park (Then known as Jones Road Stadium) before the GAA bought it in 1913.

And Gaelic Football and Hurling was played in Wembley!!! Weren't the English FA great to allow in the foreign sports. (My own father played there as it happens - Gaelic Football)

These "diehards" have to get their head out of the sand.

A few notes....
- The opening of Croke Park to other sports is not a threat to the GAA. The GAA recorded record profits last year for Croke Park.
- The GAA as an organisation will not crumble to its foundations if a Total 90 ball touches its hallowed surface.
- The GAAs "competitors" will have a stadium in a couple of years time. What happens to the GAA then? Does it crumble?
- A sizeable majority of Rugby/Soccer fans are GAA contributors/players!
- A sizeable contingent of both Rugby/Soccer international players have represented their clubs and counties and clubs with equal pride. Kevin Moran, Niall Quinn, Duffer, O Gara and Eric Miller in more recent times. Im sure the list goes on and on.
- While GAA facilities have provided great amenities to communities for over 100 years, these amenities are provided and sustained by the people of the communities.
- You are no less Irish by playing "foreign sports."
- Croke Park LTD or the Central Council does not have a money printing machine. Either directly through development drawes, match gates or indirectly through taxation, the people of Ireland have built Croke Park, Semple Stadium, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Fitzgerald Stadium, The Gaelic Grounds, Nowlan Park, Wexford Park, Walsh Park, Casement Park, Hyde Park. Be under no illusions where the money came from.
- GAA supporters do not cower in bomb shelters during foreign sport spectacles and wait for the evil to pass.(Although some of the past presidents may?!?!)
- God knows, the opening of Croker may make the GAA a few friends.
- Failure to open the gates wont kill soccer/rugby off for good but it will be written in the history books that the GAA turned their own away citizens when the came looking.
- The GAA's bargaining power will not/has not been lessened by any one individual. U2 were on the receiving end of this not so long ago when a third date was cancelled due to the highest price for venue rental on their World Tour at 1,000,000 euros a night.
- Soccer is a partionist sport on this island? Although it is a nice ideology, the GAA is about 80 years and 2 amendments to the constitution too late. Northerm Ireland is a seperate country with its own identity. The only partition on this island in sporting terms is the one created by certain aspects of the GAA.

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/04/2005, 11:20 AM
Fair play to ya Blobbyblob. That's a great post.

It's hard to add to what you've just said apart from my need to comment on the ironies of the GAA's "principles". The man who disgusts me most is Jack Boothman. The former president continues to get involved when other people his age are happy to sit in their slippers by their fireside. It would have served Boothman better if he had rid the organisation of the blatant sectarianism that makes it extremely difficult for people of his own creed to partake in Gaelic games. Rather than reinforcing the ban on Irishmen playing soccer and rugby in Croke Park, it would have suited Boothman better if he had stopped members of his own organisation putting guns on the streets of Belfast. When contacted by the media last year with regard to the possible opening of Croke Park, Boothman was unavailable for comment. He was in the U.S. at the time watching a GAA all-stars match in a baseball ground. Ironic or what. Its the likes of Boothman and Joe McDonagh that make me feel ashamed to be Irish.