PDA

View Full Version : Mick McCarthys Contract

pete
29/01/2002, 11:39 AM
Currently McCarthys on 175k a year
He apparently wants 500k & the FAI are offering 300k.

(all figures sterling)

It would appear McCarthy or more likely his advisor is using rumours Newcastle about to pay him 1million next year to increase the FAIs offer.

Since the irish job is basically part-time & Mick can supplement with loads of media work i think its unfair for him to hold the FAI to randsom. Sure hes done a good job the last couple of years but if the FAI sacked him after the first 4 years he'd be lucky to get another (he never managed in the Premiership) english 1st division job.

What do ye think?

mouldymurphy
29/01/2002, 3:07 PM
I personally think that he deserves it he has done a lot with a limited team .He has managed to get the team through a though group and into the world cup finals which surly merets a wage increase.

patsh
29/01/2002, 3:33 PM
He is not worth 500K. He has managed the team extremely well during this WC campaign, but let's not forget the playoff against Turkey with the completely negative tactics, the Croatia and Macedonia last minute goals, and most of all his godawful ramesh and bullsh!t about games. Remember "C'mon Denis Irwin, prove yourself !"? I'm as thrilled as the next man about going to Japan, but let's not lose the run of ourselves. We have had some incredible luck during the qualifying games, which has played as much a part as getting us there as Mick. 300K is more than enough, and the 200K saved is badly needed by clubs in the eL . City could an awful lot with that kind of dosh, if properly used....
Plus Mick could'nt give a f**k about players here. Is Dodgy Connolly better than Glen Crowe for instance?........ :(

Wizzard
29/01/2002, 3:44 PM
Have to agree with oddboy on this one. We have stumbled from playoff to playoff in spite of Mick rather than because of him. He has kept players past their sell by date. If they didn't retire he still be playing them. He needs to get ruthless and weed out the no hopers, Connolly and Carsley spring to mind. Forget about obsessive loyalty and bring in new talent.

pete
29/01/2002, 4:51 PM
6-7 years ago Mick was then managing Milwall near the foot of the english 1st divsion & i belive he left or was removed before the end of the season when but they still got relegated.

First 4 years of management Mick stumbled from match to match, some interesting fornations & players in starnge positions (not the things you can try at international level)

After 4 years theres no doubt Mick shouldn't have been given a new contract but Bernard O'Byrne stuck by him. We were stuck as 3rd seeds in a group with Portugal & Holland because of previous mistakes by McCarthy.

Credit where credits due as in the last 2 years he has done well in such a hard group (his own fault in the group to start with).

Personally I'd like McCarthy to stay for another 2 years but not at 500k a year.

BTW hes there to win international matches & not to promte the eL unless thats also added to his contract.

SÓC
29/01/2002, 9:07 PM
I do believe it is the duty of everyone in the employment of the FAI to promote all aspect of the game in Ireland, especially Soccer at the highest level it is played in Ireland.

McCarthy should not be allowed to hold the FAI to randsom to get a stupidly high wage for a partime job.

Also the €uro is our currency, why should the FAI have to face extra cost in converting money for him?

patsh
30/01/2002, 7:22 AM
BTW hes there to win international matches & not to promte the eL unless thats also added to his contract.
Nobody claimed he is there to promote the eL , but he would not even give players here a chance.
Look at Stephen Geoghan. I know he is a wanl<er and all that, but McCarthy never had any intentions of giving him a run. Pat him on the head, and tell him how wonderful it is to get to train with the big boys. Mick has the typical attitude that when you are in the eL you are to be ignored, yet if you get across to some poxy 2nd or 3rd division club in England, you will be taken seriously. Just think of Connolly....Carsley..remember Paul Butler? Paul Osam is a far superior player to Butler, but will never get a shot at a cap. He is contracted to play the best team he can for Ireland, and any team containing any of those three tosser's cannot be called the best of anything. Ok, rant over!!................. ;)

Seanie
05/02/2002, 1:20 PM
Professional sport must be the only occupation in the world where the management are paid less than the subordinates - yet the manager stands a much better chance of getting the sack when times are tough. Mick McCarthy can't blame the economy or the government, yet has to put up with constant media pressure. As regards picking eL players, I'd love to see the better home-based players get a shot on the international scene. But the fact remains that the majority of promising eL players have never played with or against internationals.