PDA

View Full Version : 2017 League/Cup format

Pages : [1] 2

brendy_éire
17/11/2016, 11:45 AM
Few announcements on the 2017 season there.

League to start a week earlier, 24th February
Premier fixtures to be released mid-December
FAI Cup only to have replays at the quarter/semi-final stage
Mid-season break to be reduced to one week
Full-time league marketing manager to be appointed (job advertisement on FAI site at present)
New U15 league to start in August
International marketing expert compiling report on league

It would be nice to see a reduction in mid-week matches, but can't say I'm happy about the shorter break.
Worse still is the changes to the Cup, which I feel will now lose some of its worth, especially for smaller clubs.

Philosophizer
17/11/2016, 12:08 PM
Do we even need a mid-season break at all? i understand having a break in a year when there is a World Cup or Euros, especially if we qualify, but in a summer where there is no international tournament could we not just play right through. that would reduce that amount of midweek matches...

Yossarian
17/11/2016, 12:33 PM
Is it not usually just a one week break but was extended this year because Ireland were in the Euros?
It would be ironic if Dundalk get out of the group in the Europa League and the first match is postponed because of the next round!

legendz
17/11/2016, 12:50 PM
Is it not usually just a one week break but was extended this year because Ireland were in the Euros?
It would be ironic if Dundalk get out of the group in the Europa League and the first match is postponed because of the next round!If Dundalk are playing on back-to-back Thursdays, they should be able to play on the Sunday. It's only in cases that teams play in Europe on a Wednesday and the following Tuesday that postponements should be required.

EatYerGreens
17/11/2016, 12:53 PM
Some decent stuff in that list - maybe the FAI is being jolted into a modicum of action at last.

Though does the LOI really need another report ? And LOL at the "international marketing expert". It'll be some numpty who produces a report exactly on the lines that Delaney himself wants.

Mr A
17/11/2016, 1:16 PM
I know a few people who have talked said expert and all reckoned he was absolutely the real deal.

seand
17/11/2016, 1:30 PM
It would be nice to see a reduction in mid-week matches, but can't say I'm happy about the shorter break.

So you want a longer break AND fewer midweek games?

nigel-harps1954
17/11/2016, 1:44 PM
I don't think there should be a mid season break at all. We've already one of the longest off-seasons in Europe, what's the need for a break during the season?

As said above, during a summer where there's a European Championship or World Cup, I can see sense in it then, but otherwise there's no need for a mid-season break.

A lot of positive news for once. I've also heard the new marketing man is fantastic. It'll be interesting to see what impact that has over the course of the next year or so. Can't imagine him having any sort of immediate impact, but long term, it could be one of the most positive steps for LOI football in years.

Mark
17/11/2016, 2:51 PM
The mid season break came in, in part, because the players wanted it. The PFAI stated the obvious that schools were off from June to September and players with young families wanted a week, at least, free for holidays, or what McGuinness referred to at one point as 'sun holidays'.

Guitd
17/11/2016, 3:38 PM
Short break is a nightmare for pitch renovations as it's the only time in the growing season to get work done but the pitches don't really matter 🤔

Dodge
17/11/2016, 3:43 PM
The mid season break came in, in part, because the players wanted it. The PFAI stated the obvious that schools were off from June to September and players with young families wanted a week, at least, free for holidays, or what McGuinness referred to at one point as 'sun holidays'.

Spot on. Recently Euro teams have played friendlies in the week off do the players time off effectively became a few days at most

oriel
17/11/2016, 7:04 PM
I'm not a big fan of the mid season break, however I can see the point where players have young families, and can take time off when they are on school holidays. In recent seasons having it for 2 weeks or more was just ridiculous and would only add pressure on clubs financially and perhaps have a negative effect on players fitness.

A lot of clubs, I'd say most actually and including Dundalk, were very challenged for cash flow in previous seasons with no home match revenue for 3 weeks or more in some instances.

Hopefully next season there will be better thinking in fixture lists, I always thought not having derby matches on BH weekends is a missed opportunity, likes of Harps/Derry, Dlk/Drogs, Rovers/Bohs etc, mid week games will still probably be required, hopefully these will be limited to as little as possible, and to consider long distance trips for the away club. It won't always work, but you got the impression that very little consideration was given to this in previous seasons.

I like the idea of an earlier start, the reduction of cup replays too will help. The full time marketing resource is long overdue and that will hopefully make a big difference.

gufc2000
17/11/2016, 7:23 PM
Last season's mid season break ran into the start of the European campaign which resulted in the total fiasco of us having no home game from June 3rd until July 22nd, hopefully such an occurrence is avoided this time around.

legendz
17/11/2016, 9:33 PM
Last season's mid season break ran into the start of the European campaign which resulted in the total fiasco of us having no home game from June 3rd until July 22nd, hopefully such an occurrence is avoided this time around.Did the European campaign affect ye because ye're opponents had less than 7 days between two European games?

David BOHie
17/11/2016, 9:40 PM
Starting a week earlier is a bit silly. Why not end it 2 weeks later? The fixture congestion happens at the end of the year, not the start

Nah Nah Nah Nah
17/11/2016, 10:04 PM
I'm afraid to reply in case you're on the windup

brendy_éire
18/11/2016, 8:08 AM
So you want a longer break AND fewer midweek games?

Only two scheduled midweek league games are required now. As mentioned, these should on Monday bank holidays.
On the break, it's a purely personal thing. I usually take a long-haul holiday during it. Bizarrely, the FAI haven't seemed to take this into account.

gufcfan
18/11/2016, 9:34 AM
On the break, it's a purely personal thing. I usually take a long-haul holiday during it.
Trabolgan is it?

Real ale Madrid
18/11/2016, 10:41 AM
Trabolgan is it?

Nothing wrong with Trabolgan. A holiday whatever the weather.

GC13
20/11/2016, 4:51 PM
I'm not a big fan of the mid season break, however I can see the point where players have young families, and can take time off when they are on school holidays. In recent seasons having it for 2 weeks or more was just ridiculous and would only add pressure on clubs financially and perhaps have a negative effect on players fitness.

A lot of clubs, I'd say most actually and including Dundalk, were very challenged for cash flow in previous seasons with no home match revenue for 3 weeks or more in some instances.

Hopefully next season there will be better thinking in fixture lists, I always thought not having derby matches on BH weekends is a missed opportunity, likes of Harps/Derry, Dlk/Drogs, Rovers/Bohs etc, mid week games will still probably be required, hopefully these will be limited to as little as possible, and to consider long distance trips for the away club. It won't always work, but you got the impression that very little consideration was given to this in previous seasons.

I like the idea of an earlier start, the reduction of cup replays too will help. The full time marketing resource is long overdue and that will hopefully make a big difference.

Some very good points - the Bank Hol's for derby games is an excellent idea and sure to draw out the crowds, cup replays are potential disasters new approach will rule out negative approaches for clubs playing for draws to get a midweek replay at home. Your underlying point is spot on - i.e. better planning by the league!

legendz
27/11/2016, 8:04 PM
The Scottish League Cup final was played today. First trophy of the season given out in the first half of the season.

Only asking the question - is it something to consider here? Some group games in February pre-season and final in May after a few knockout rounds..

Neish
28/11/2016, 8:48 AM
Think there is a need for mid season break if only to give players (and fans) with children a few days to get away or even just have some time with them. Would disagree with the taking away of cup replay, for a 1st division or lower league club to get a replay with a big club, the gate receipts alone could keep them ticking over a few months

Agree with the rest of the ideas great to see and national under 15 league which will only help in the development of younger players, but there also needs to be a step at the other end of the ladder to bridge the gap between under 19's and senior level. A under 22 or 23 with a 2 or 3 of senior player allowed in the match day squad to offer younger players experience

seand
28/11/2016, 9:18 AM
The Scottish League Cup final was played today. First trophy of the season given out in the first half of the season.

Only asking the question - is it something to consider here? Some group games in February pre-season and final in May after a few knockout rounds..

Definitely. We should be down to the semi-finals before the start of the season

Dodge
28/11/2016, 1:56 PM
fwiw, the league cup was traditionally played in the first half of the season here. The group stages were pre-season with the final usually played in November/December

No reason why it can't be played that way now with a final in May (maybe the old Setanta Cup final spot, or May bank holiday)

pineapple stu
28/11/2016, 2:06 PM
I think a bigger issue is that the FAI Cup is so late. The third round is in September, which is what - two-thirds of the way through the league season?

A team in Europe and on any sort of FAI Cup run has very little space to catch up on matches, which seems to have been what hit Dundalk so badly this year in particular.

Obviously the daft divide between league and non-league football here is a problem, so you can't schedule matches for non-league pre-season, but even if they could fit one more round in before the summer, it'd be a help.

Get rid of the LSC/MSC (waste of time), and the League Cup early in the season as suggested would be good too. But I think the FAI Cup schedule is the biggest issue.

Dodge
28/11/2016, 2:11 PM
The LSC/MSC is a complete red herring. Teams play reserve teams or don't bother at all. Event he finalists in the LSC only play 4 times. The MSC is pre-season. Removing won't help any fixture issues

pineapple stu
28/11/2016, 2:35 PM
Sorry, yep - two separate points I guess.

Agree it's not an issue for fixture congestion if clubs are happy playing reserve teams, etc.

Still reckon it should just be scrapped.

brendy_éire
28/11/2016, 10:51 PM
Definitely. We should be down to the semi-finals before the start of the season

Though half the reason we start the season in March (or late February now) is because pitches are often waterlogged/frozen before then. I don't think starting early than that is a great idea.
Keep an eye on IL cancellations this February as a comparison.

stann
29/11/2016, 7:16 AM
Still reckon it should just be scrapped.

Feck off with your "scrapped"! :p
Don't know what the general consensus in Leinster is, but we love the MSC down here. It's brilliant to have a competition that not everyone can be in, that's considerably older than the league itself, and just wildly different to everything else. Also doesn't hurt that it's been the only realistic shot at silverware for a club like ours over the last few years.
Also, as Dodge says, the first couple of rounds are usually part of pre-season or very early in the season, and if you get through them you've a final to look forward to in June - not too taxing for even the sides that don't play the reserves.

The League Cup is the one I wouldn't miss if it came to it, and probably there is a good case for playing bulk of those games early in the season, in the first few weeks, even if it meant the dreaded Mon/Tues slots.

I think a bigger issue is that the FAI Cup is so late. The third round is in September, which is what - two-thirds of the way through the league season?
This also ^^

Neish
29/11/2016, 8:26 AM

Yeah always thought it a bit odd that there is like 10 or more weeks between 2nd and 3rd rounds. Have 2nd round of FAI cup just after mid season break and play a round or two extra of the league cup and get it finished with before the break

Mr A
29/11/2016, 8:53 AM
The FAI cup is arranged to accommodate the intermediates and juniors in their winter leagues. You could pull some rounds forward but the gap would remain.

pineapple stu
29/11/2016, 9:53 AM
Feck off with your "scrapped"! :p
Don't know what the general consensus in Leinster is, but we love the MSC down here. It's brilliant to have a competition that not everyone can be in, that's considerably older than the league itself, and just wildly different to everything else. Also doesn't hurt that it's been the only realistic shot at silverware for a club like ours over the last few years.
Bit of a surprise!

The age of the competition doesn't really count for anything for me. Or the restricted entry - it's just like the early stages of the regionalised League Cup to be honest. The LSC was gone for almost ten years, and I don't know why it was brought back.

Anyways, opinions, yadda yadda yadda.

cobhlad
29/11/2016, 10:30 AM
Fully agree with the Wateford view on the MSC down here. It's a great little competition that lets Senior League clubs play the League of Ireland four on a regular enough basis. Only the final isn't in pre-season so it has a very small effect on fixtures. Stephen Henderson has said constantly this year how winning it was a huge boost for Cobh, just to have something as a reward for their efforts.

Martinho II
29/11/2016, 7:22 PM
Bit of a surprise!

The age of the competition doesn't really count for anything for me. Or the restricted entry - it's just like the early stages of the regionalised League Cup to be honest. The LSC was gone for almost ten years, and I don't know why it was brought back.

Anyways, opinions, yadda yadda yadda.

I personally would like the LSC to continue. Its allowed me to go to grounds that I would never have been- eg a few years back we played Shamrock Rovers(Enniscorthy) in an earlier round of it in Enniscorthy. It was my first time being properly in the place. I know the LSC is not what its used to be but continue it but maybe schedule it better.

Longfordian
29/11/2016, 8:26 PM
That was the year we played Shamrock Rovers Enniscorthy, Shamrock Rovers B, and Shamrock Rovers all in the one season in competitive games. A nice little stat.

sadloserkid
30/11/2016, 7:29 AM
Munster Senior Cup is only three games for senior clubs anyway. To support the Cobh and Waterford opinions above I'd like to keep it, especially when two-thirds of it is pre-season for us.

Mr A
30/11/2016, 8:03 AM
I would love to see Harps play in the Northwest Cup. There were previous competitions like the Irish News Cup but currently it's only an Irish League competition.

And I'd fecking love if we could get in the County Antrim Shield. That would be class.

brendy_éire
30/11/2016, 8:26 AM
I would love to see Harps play in the Northwest Cup.

Really? To play the likes of Tobermore, Strabane and Portstewart, or the reserves of Institute, Coleraine and Limavady?

nigel-harps1954
30/11/2016, 8:42 AM
Really? To play the likes of Tobermore, Strabane and Portstewart, or the reserves of Institute, Coleraine and Limavady?

Places we'd otherwise not be visiting? Yeah, I'd love to see a Harps team in it too.

Ezeikial
30/11/2016, 9:11 AM
I'd love to see the Malone Cup extended to other Louth clubs - Termonfeckin and Hackballscross would be novelty places to visit for a football match

Darklordsbane
30/11/2016, 7:39 PM
nothing stopping you going to those ground even if your team isn't playing there

Louth4sam
30/11/2016, 8:19 PM
I'd love to see the Malone Cup extended to other Louth clubs - Termonfeckin and Hackballscross would be novelty places to visit for a football match

A game was played in Navan once I think it could have been during the Anderson era.

Cosmo
01/12/2016, 6:11 AM
A game was played in Navan once I think it could have been during the Anderson era.

I remember being at that match. Was about 13/14 years ago?

Not sure what benefit anybody would get by extending the Malone cup though

dundalkfc10
01/12/2016, 8:35 AM

This is the best post ive ever seen

nigel-harps1954
01/12/2016, 9:47 AM
nothing stopping you going to those ground even if your team isn't playing there

http://i.imgur.com/tyTc1Nl.jpg

Ezeikial
01/12/2016, 4:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tyTc1Nl.jpg

Let me guess..........

You flew way above the point?

or is it

The point went way under you?

oriel
01/12/2016, 5:20 PM
I remember being at that match. Was about 13/14 years ago?

Not sure what benefit anybody would get by extending the Malone cup though

I think the original comment by Ezekial was leaning on the sarcasm. I was also at the match in Navan, it was for an opening of a ground, and almost sure it was that seasons Malone Cup, it was definitely pre season as it was during the summer (pre 2004) think Drogs won on pens, a trend they continued for most of the next 10 years !

Longfordian
01/12/2016, 5:22 PM
Let me guess..........

You flew way above the point?

or is it

The point went way under you?

It's good but it's not right.

Mr A
01/12/2016, 9:27 PM
It's good but it's not right.

As good a time as any to remind people that Roy Walker who presented Catchphrase back in the day went on to be a highly successful Irish League manager with Crusaders.

ger121
01/12/2016, 10:29 PM
As good a time as any to remind people that Roy Walker who presented Catchphrase back in the day went on to be a highly successful Irish League manager with Crusaders.

Just say what you see!