PDA

View Full Version : 2017 squad

Pages : [1] 2

hollocaine
08/11/2016, 1:56 PM
The one good thing about the 2016 season is that it's over! Looking at next year, with a positive outlook, is that we should be well in contention for promotion. Cobh and UCD also. Some talk about Waterford but it won't be easy to put together an entire new squad to be competitive immediately. Shels will be competing with us for available young Dublin players but they need alot of improvement to their squad. The problem is that available quality players are hard found.

On that basis, I think we should look to keep a good chunk of this year's squad. The continuity will stand to the them as opposed to making sweeping changes. With the short term players (Mvita,Dsane,Makouta) likely gone and also Flynn gone; I'd move on Powell, O'Connor and Skinner as well to free up the wage bill. Get rid of Cody Mulhall too.

That should leave 15 players as a starting point for Mathews to add to. The tough learning curve they had in the Premier Division will surely stand to them. What's everyone's thoughts on the squad and realistic new players to target? Any good players from the under 19's to promote that haven't featured yet in the senior squad?

There's some frustration about the make up of the commitee/lack of AGM, but let's keep this thread about players.

Martinho II
08/11/2016, 4:23 PM
with the frustration about committee/lack of agm that should have its own thread as I want certain muppets out! I want change to progress the club.

Martinho II
08/11/2016, 4:32 PM
http://www.pfai.ie/transfer-list

very interesting the amount of players of ours thats on it! sully and rhys gormanthe big name. strangely enough of the new signings only coulter is on it. no sign of Kevin O Connor so he must be stayin!!

of course never trust this list but I thought it was interestin to ppl to see it for themselves!

outspoken
09/11/2016, 4:01 PM
I'd disagree with keeping a large chunk of this squad. The 2016 squad were a bunch of losers. They won 2 games all season, blame cousins or Mathews or the board or whoever but good players don't have seasons like that. Mathews is keen to keep don and Sully as he feels they would terrorise FD defences. Apparently Eddie didn't bother training towards the end of the season so doubt Mathews will keep him which is a shame as he looks a talent. Yann has as good as announced on Facebook that he is off which is great as he was useless. I'd hope Rhys would stay but given his lack of game time this year I wouldn't blame him for going. Mathews has already spoken to a couple of players so good to see us getting stuff done early. First thing we need is 2 new keepers, Mathews will build this squad from the back and if don and Sully click there's no reason we shouldn't be in a play off position at least.

Darklordsbane
10/11/2016, 4:28 PM
Do everything possible to keep Davey Tristran and Rhys I wouldn't mind Peter, Mark and Keelan either, but I would definately make Rhys the Captain

outspoken
16/11/2016, 9:39 PM
McGlynn's gone to America. No loss. Hopefully alan gets us in 2 out and our wingers now, we haven't had 2 good wingers for years now.

L.T.F.C.
18/11/2016, 8:56 PM
O'Connor needs to stay. Get rid of Hughes and Gannon anyway!

outspoken
18/11/2016, 11:57 PM
He'd want to have his head screwed on better than last season if he's going to stay.

outspoken
22/11/2016, 12:50 PM
O'Connor needs to stay. Get rid of Hughes and Gannon anyway!

One down one to go

DOC1982
22/11/2016, 1:00 PM
Who is the one down?

outspoken
22/11/2016, 9:15 PM
Who is the one down?

Gannon's gone. Suppose to be signing for bohs

Town Legend
22/11/2016, 9:39 PM
Skinner, Rhys, Davy, koc and don re-signed. Gavin boyne and Aidan friel have signed.

Longfordian
22/11/2016, 10:07 PM
That's a great start to the squad building. Probably the first four I'd have kept and Skinner will be OK as a First Division keeper. Don't know much about the two new lads.

outspoken
22/11/2016, 10:27 PM
Hearing good things about Friel suppose to be a real work horse which is what we need. Not sure Boyne will be a great signing to be honest but could just be a squad signing. We are going to need a strong squad to win the title. Delighted to have Davy , Don and RHYS back. Would be hoping Skinner is a number 2 but if not then a good second choice should help push him on. A promising start to things anyway.

Longfordian
22/11/2016, 10:36 PM
There aren't that many better keepers we could get realistically. Fair play to Davy he's a true Town legend. He finished the season strongly and I'm sure some other clubs were sniffing.

oldyouth
23/11/2016, 6:36 AM
Hearing good things about Friel suppose to be a real work horse which is what we need. Not sure Boyne will be a great signing to be honest but could just be a squad signing. We are going to need a strong squad to win the title. Delighted to have Davy , Don and RHYS back. Would be hoping Skinner is a number 2 but if not then a good second choice should help push him on. A promising start to things anyway.

Friel is strong, very fast, good attitude and works hard. However, his positional sense and delivery can be suspect

outspoken
23/11/2016, 7:50 AM
There aren't that many better keepers we could get realistically. Fair play to Davy he's a true Town legend. He finished the season strongly and I'm sure some other clubs were sniffing.

I'd love to get Dean Delaney for a season. Second choice at Bohs, wonder would he consider it.

Longfordian
23/11/2016, 3:46 PM
Havo has signed for another year. Another good First Division player.

outspoken
23/11/2016, 6:24 PM
Just what I wanted to see, a squad of good honest lads been built up. Looks like Mathews has tossed the Charlie's out on their ears. Excellent

Martinho II
23/11/2016, 7:29 PM
some pen picts of ye of the new lads.

http://www.extratime.ie/player/11115328/gavin_boyne/

http://www.extratime.ie/player/11119315/aidan_friel/

Longfordian
23/11/2016, 7:32 PM
Both played for AM at Athlone by the looks of things.

Martinho II
24/11/2016, 12:27 PM
Both played for AM at Athlone by the looks of things.

and must have made an impression as well!

outspoken
25/11/2016, 11:45 AM
Jack Brady 19 year old goalkeeper arrives from Shels. Player of the year for Shels last year. Interesting.

Longfordian
25/11/2016, 12:19 PM
Obviously a decent young keeper. Sounds like a good signing.

Martinho II
25/11/2016, 5:07 PM
Obviously a decent young keeper. Sounds like a good signing.

was he part of shels first team squad does anyone know?

Longfordian
26/11/2016, 1:09 PM
He won their Player of The Year so he was obviously first choice.

Martinho II
26/11/2016, 3:01 PM
He won their Player of The Year so he was obviously first choice.

ah right. thought greg murray was their first choice thats wot got me.

Longfordian
26/11/2016, 3:34 PM
Started most games since May by the looks of things

http://www.flashscore.com/player/brady-jack/OS5HVzzk/

outspoken
26/11/2016, 7:50 PM
Getting great feedback online, a lot of FD fans saying he has the potential to be the best keeper in the country.

Darklordsbane
28/11/2016, 7:50 AM
Getting great feedback online, a lot of FD fans saying he has the potential to be the best keeper in the country.

That would be very welcome, does anyone know if Coulter is gone I for one certainly hope so

Longfordian
28/11/2016, 12:48 PM
Saw an interview with Coulter over the weekend he's looking to go to America and will consider his options if he can't. Amusingly, he seemed to think he did very well in the 15 games he played even though we went down.

outspoken
29/11/2016, 6:43 AM
Should have stuck with the piano

Martinho II
29/11/2016, 7:12 PM
Saw an interview with Coulter over the weekend he's looking to go to America and will consider his options if he can't. Amusingly, he seemed to think he did very well in the 15 games he played even though we went down.

is there a link to this interview Longfordian?

Longfordian
29/11/2016, 7:21 PM
is there a link to this interview Longfordian?

Yeah here you go Marty

http://www.the42.ie/ryan-coulter-james-chambers-interview-3097804-Nov2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

Longfordian
03/12/2016, 10:13 PM
Dylan McGlade has signed from Pats. 21 year old winger, made the First Division team of the year in 2015 whilst at Shels so sounds like a decent signing.

kksaints
03/12/2016, 10:50 PM
Didn't do a whole lot for us last season. Barely made the bench in the second half of the season.

Longfordian
03/12/2016, 11:19 PM
It's a significant step up to the Premier as we know all too well. If he can do it in the First we'll worry about whether he can be good enough to step up if and when it becomes something we need to think about.

Martinho II
04/12/2016, 4:51 PM
http://www.extratime.ie/player/11117759/dylan_mcglade/

pen pict of Dylan McGlade. he was also with middlesboro before comin back home to Shels.

outspoken
04/12/2016, 5:36 PM
Pats fans speak very very highly of him. Seems Mathews plan was to sign up the experienced members of the squad and now he's adding promising young players. Hopefully this mixs well.

Martinho II
05/12/2016, 4:44 PM
Pats fans speak very very highly of him. Seems Mathews plan was to sign up the experienced members of the squad and now he's adding promising young players. Hopefully this mixs well.

did McGlade play many games for pats do you know Outspoken? I have most certainly heard of him over the last while.

outspoken
05/12/2016, 5:54 PM
did McGlade play many games for pats do you know Outspoken? I have most certainly heard of him over the last while.

Didn't play too often Marty but pats fans I've spoken to talk of his potential very highly so hopefully he will shine for us.

L.T.F.C.
06/12/2016, 7:32 PM
Didn't play too often Marty but pats fans I've spoken to talk of his potential very highly so hopefully he will shine for us.
Things like that rarely happen to us...

Martinho II
09/12/2016, 5:20 PM
http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/2016/12/09/trevor-croly-confirmed-as-bohs-assistant-manager/

Out

Kaleem Simon and Phillip Gorman Bohs

Kaleem is a bit of a surprise/ I thought he might have stayed with us.

Darklordsbane
09/12/2016, 6:50 PM
http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/2016/12/09/trevor-croly-confirmed-as-bohs-assistant-manager/

Out

Kaleem Simon and Phillip Gorman Bohs

Kaleem is a bit of a surprise/ I thought he might have stayed with us.

Do you mean Phillip Gannon gone to Bohs with Kaleem or Phillip Gorman ex Athlone gone to Bohs
the reason I ask is, I will be more than pleased to see the back of Gannon, but I heard a few rumors over the last few weeks that Mathews was trying to sign Phillip Gorman

Longfordian
09/12/2016, 6:51 PM
He means Gannon

outspoken
09/12/2016, 10:18 PM
Delighted Gannon is gone but while I would have welcomed Kaleem staying for another season I'm not heartbroken he's gone either. Nice lad and technically good but would have been too light for the FD, besides he was far from clinical in front of goal and crossing was sh1te. Has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a hit at Bohs.

Darklordsbane
09/12/2016, 10:26 PM
Delighted Gannon is gone but while I would have welcomed Kaleem staying for another season I'm not heartbroken he's gone either. Nice lad and technically good but would have been too light for the FD, besides he was far from clinical in front of goal and crossing was sh1te. Has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a hit at Bohs.

He will be a bigger hit than Gannon but that wouldn't be difficult

Martinho II
10/12/2016, 5:31 PM
He means Gannon

sorry I was in such in a hurry to post that I didnt read the post properly!

Joe Dixon
12/12/2016, 8:08 AM
I think Gannon is a much more capable player than many here give him credit for. We was abandoned to a midfield which had a huge amount of experience taken from it and the responsibility that goes with that then placed on his shoulders. He was 19 years of age last season.
I'd expect he'll have a good career at Premier Division level.

outspoken
16/12/2016, 10:11 AM
Powell, Hughes and Coulter all playing for the pfai team today. Good riddance to Powell and Coulter in particular. Frauds.