KeepersBall
03/11/2016, 9:16 PM
Allegedly

El-Pietro
03/11/2016, 9:17 PM
Great decision if true. Though Tommy was harshly treated

White Horse
03/11/2016, 9:22 PM
Did Keegan not sign a two year deal in the summer?

gufcfan
03/11/2016, 9:27 PM
Great decision if true. Though Tommy was harshly treated

He was in his arse. People read far too much into some things and then nothing into others.

nigel-harps1954
03/11/2016, 9:53 PM
Did Keegan not sign a two year deal in the summer?

Signed a two year deal at the start of the season I think.

This is a massive gamble for Galway. Totally unproven manager with a budget. Could go totally tits up for them.

WoodquayBoy
03/11/2016, 10:21 PM
Keegan signed a 2-year deal with Wexford in January. Think it's a gamble but when first two choices turn you down, your options aren't great.
And yes, despite Gufcfan throwing out the same tired old party line, Dunne was harshly treated - players threw the rattle, got their way, and continued to put in shocking performances. What United need is a manager to come in, stamp his authority and take no guff. Not sure Keegan is the man for that. Time will tell.

Olander
03/11/2016, 10:36 PM
Keegan signed a 2-year deal with Wexford in January. Think it's a gamble but when first two choices turn you down, your options aren't great.
And yes, despite Gufcfan throwing out the same tired old party line, Dunne was harshly treated - players threw the rattle, got their way, and continued to put in shocking performances. What United need is a manager to come in, stamp his authority and take no guff. Not sure Keegan is the man for that. Time will tell.
McParland turned the job down, nobody else did.

Dunne was not harshly treated by GUFC, he failed with an improved squad this season and displayed that he was not the manager to bring the club forward, same as what happened to him at Cork City.

We finished one position higher in a weaker league this season with a bigger budget and crashed out of both cups in disappointing fashion, if that's your idea of having a successful season, fair enough. For me that sort of sums up the problem with Galway United, there never is any expectation whatsoever .

I agree with your point about needing a manager who needs to take no prisoners, changing the mindset at the club will be his biggest task. The players definitely weren't arsed after Dunne left, however the season was over and I'd imagine that some have played themselves out of getting new contracts and there could be a clearout of sorts, which wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

wonder88
03/11/2016, 10:40 PM
This could be the reason announcement is not till Saturday.

WoodquayBoy
03/11/2016, 10:45 PM
Micky Adams turned it down. Twice.
The players should have been bursting a gut once they got their way to try and win a contract for next season. One of the reasons McParland turned it down is he was so underwhelmed by what he saw against Longford in the league and UCD in U19 final.
There were some improvements to the squad on last year, but they didn't perform either for Dunne, or when he left.
I'm not sure he was the right man to bring the club forward, but why chuck him with 5 games to go if you don't have someone lined up? 4 points from 15 when he left, conceded 5 against Youths and Cork, 2 against a Harps side that hadn't scored in months; and 4 against Dundalk. Dundalk and Cork I can understand, but 5 against Wexford? Some squad

Olander
03/11/2016, 10:57 PM
Incorrect. Adams was never offered the job, he was in discussions with the club but little more and that's well known. There was massive obstacles in the way of him ever getting remotely close to that stage, like his insistence on bringing his headbanger of an assistant to the club. Sligo fans will know all about him.

You seem to side very heavily against the players. I never said they were blameless, but ultimately it was the board who cast Dunne aside, not them. Dunne failed to get the best out of that group of players without a shadow of a doubt. We finished below teams we are better than on paper and have bigger budgets than.

"They didn't perform for Dunne." That is an interesting view to take. Maybe Dunne wasn't the man to get the best out of them and that was how things panned out over the entire season, not just the last few games when the season was over and everybody just wanted it to end.

gufcfan
04/11/2016, 6:13 AM
And yes, despite Gufcfan throwing out the same tired old party line, Dunne was harshly treated

No party line, nobody tells me anything anyway. The situation was plain to see. I forgot who said it, but the idea that United fell apart without him is pure nonsense as well. 9 goals conceded in his last two games. Effectively managerless and with the season over, it was disappointing but not a shock that they continued to be terrible since.

Trainee
04/11/2016, 7:32 AM
And yes, despite Gufcfan throwing out the same tired old party line, Dunne was harshly treated.

Dunne was not harshly treated as results & performances were so poor,if we didn't have the good start we could be playing in playoff tonight.

Dunne job was to motivate our squad & win matches & this didn't happen much since summer break.

El-Pietro
04/11/2016, 7:59 AM
McParland turned the job down, nobody else did.

Dunne was not harshly treated by GUFC, he failed with an improved squad this season and displayed that he was not the manager to bring the club forward, same as what happened to him at Cork City.

We finished one position higher in a weaker league this season with a bigger budget and crashed out of both cups in disappointing fashion, if that's your idea of having a successful season, fair enough. For me that sort of sums up the problem with Galway United, there never is any expectation whatsoever .

I agree with your point about needing a manager who needs to take no prisoners, changing the mindset at the club will be his biggest task. The players definitely weren't arsed after Dunne left, however the season was over and I'd imagine that some have played themselves out of getting new contracts and there could be a clearout of sorts, which wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
Failed? He was higher in the table than last year, and was within a handful of points of fifth with several games to go.

El-Pietro
04/11/2016, 8:05 AM
No party line, nobody tells me anything anyway. The situation was plain to see. I forgot who said it, but the idea that United fell apart without him is pure nonsense as well. 9 goals conceded in his last two games. Effectively managerless and with the season over, it was disappointing but not a shock that they continued to be terrible since.
12 goals conceded in the 3 games after he left including 5 against Wexford and 2 against a Finn Harps team that hadn't scored in months.
16 goals coneded in the 5 games after he left. One clean sheet against Longford, who you couldn't even manage to beat. The same Longford who scored a total of 25 goals in 33 games and finished with just 14 points, the closest anyone has come to Galways record of worst LOI Premier Division team.

He had Galway in 9th, your best season since 2009 when they finished 8th (out of 10 teams). The last time a Galway side finished ahead of 3 Premier Division teams was in 2008 when they finished 9th in a 12 team division.
Sacking him with a year to go was insanity.

Olander
04/11/2016, 8:09 AM
Failed? He was higher in the table than last year, and was within a handful of points of fifth with several games to go.Yes, the season was a failure and we underachieved. We finished one position higher than last year with an improved squad that Dunne could not get the best out of. We crashed out of the FAI Cup at the first time of asking and he also rested players against Limerick in the league cup which cost us dearly.

We were not going anywhere under his management, he would keep us up but little else and that's not good enough, he wasn't the man to progress the club. Our budget isn't peanuts like some seem to believe, we should be at the very least competing in the top half and being competitive in both Cups.

That's just on the field, there were other reasons why Dunne's time had come, calling the situation 'insanity' shows how clueless you are about it, believe it or not, we watch the team every week and we may have a better handle on things than you.

White Horse
04/11/2016, 8:34 AM
Yes, the season was a failure and we underachieved. We finished one position higher than last year with an improved squad that Dunne could not get the best out of. We crashed out of the FAI Cup at the first time of asking and he also rested players against Limerick in the league cup which cost us dearly.

We were not going anywhere under his management, he would keep us up but little else and that's not good enough, he wasn't the man to progress the club. Our budget isn't peanuts like some seem to believe, we should be at the very least competing in the top half and being competitive in both Cups.

That's just on the field, there were other reasons why Dunne's time had come, calling the situation 'insanity' shows how clueless you are about it, believe it or not, we watch the team every week and we may have a better handle on things than you.

Galway played out of their skins in August to beat Dundalk. The players showed in that game what they were capable of. If they produced 80% of that performance each week they would be looking forward to European football next season. Is it Dunne's fault that the players couldn't be bothered in other games.

Olander
04/11/2016, 8:48 AM
Galway played out of their skins in August to beat Dundalk. The players showed in that game what they were capable of. If they produced 80% of that performance each week they would be looking forward to European football next season. Is it Dunne's fault that the players couldn't be bothered in other games.
I've already said that the players are not blameless in the situation and more than likely a few will not receive new contracts because of some of their poor displays. But yes, ultimately, it's the managers job to motivate and get the best out of his team, which Dunne failed to do.

The argument that 9th was our best finish since blah blah doesn't hold up, we stayed up in a poor Division where two of the sides below us are essentially amateur and one slashed their budget (Longford), we had a weekly budget that was three of four times the size of those under us. That's the reality of the situation.

Agreed on the Dundalk game, we did play well, but there were circumstances in that game that also gave us more of a chance than normal to beat Dundalk, you played BATE three days previously in an extremely taxing fixture and you also rested some key players against us.

El-Pietro
04/11/2016, 10:25 AM
He was within 5 points of 5th ffs.

KBurke
04/11/2016, 10:55 AM

He was but the team never looked like getting those 5 points back.

Probably harsh to sack him when they did especially when there was no one lined up to start straight away.

It's done now and we now have to get behind the new man

Olander
04/11/2016, 10:59 AM
And we were never going to bridge that gap, we were only going one way under him, but you know best of course.

"Insanity", you're clueless.

El-Pietro
04/11/2016, 11:04 AM
I'm realistic. Expectations at Galway are far too high.

Olander
04/11/2016, 11:16 AM
You're not realistic, you're all-knowing as usual. As I outlined to you, we finished above three clubs this season, two of those are amateur clubs and the other slashed their budget significantly. We have three and four times those clubs budgets and we crashed out of both Cups (The FAI Cup in the first round), if you feel that's a good return, then your barometer for realism is off, but that was already clear anyway.

You continue to talk about the situation like you know more than Galway United fans do, we watch the players every week and know what's happening at the club believe it or not. I think we may possibly have a better gauge on the situation at our own club than you, who is looking in from the outside. Once again you proved how clueless you are when you said it was "insanity" to sack him, it's pointless to argue with that level of stupidity, but carry on anyways.

WoodquayBoy
04/11/2016, 11:33 AM
We were going only one way under him - 3rd in First Division and promotion; to 10th in Premier Division and a first domestic final appearance in 20 years; to 9th in Premier Division. Yes, we were going only 1 way. In two of the three years in the FAI Cup we were drawn against Dundalk.

Olander
04/11/2016, 11:39 AM
And this year we were drawn against Bohemians, who underachieved and were weak for most of the year, and we failed miserably against them (and also finished behind them) and went out on a whimper just like Limerick in the League Cup, where he chose to rest players when we would have had a good chance of winning with our best eleven fielded.

10th to 9th with an improved squad and bigger budget, I suppose you would have been satisfied with 8th next year and reaching the second round of the Cup?

Lim till i die
04/11/2016, 11:39 AM
I can totally get the galway fans saying he'd taken them as far as he could go, having lived through pat scully and the current boss. (I don't think galways team is much better than lower midtable in the prem but whatever they've seen them more than I have)

But... Erm...Shane Keegan??

Doesn't exactly scream ambition.

I'm going to say there's a lot more to the off the field stuff some of the galway fans have alluded to.

Can someone start a few rumours quick, I'm in work? :good:

Lim till i die
04/11/2016, 11:41 AM
Limerick in the League Cup, where he chose to rest players when we would have had a good chance of winning with our best eleven fielded.

Look, I know you're in the middle of an argument but this kind of deluded, crazy talk does you no favours. :ball:

Olander
04/11/2016, 11:42 AM
Look, I know you're in the middle of an argument but this kind of deluded, crazy talk does you no favours. :ball:
Okay, First Division Champions Limerick FC. Sorry!!!! :D

Guitd
04/11/2016, 11:52 AM
Im sure there are development plans for the club and Keegan might be the correct choice ,from next season as well as U19 the club will have to develop u17 & 15 squads according to the fai licencing ,and the chages been imposed by FAi in local underage set ups this will be a big development in the club going forward and Galway soccer in general .

vinnie
04/11/2016, 1:33 PM

Brian Kerr to be announced as Shamrock Rovers New manager, Kerr says it was always his dream to manage Rovers

gufct
04/11/2016, 2:41 PM
Not all gufc fans are happy with whats gone on at the club before and after the very harsh sacking of Tommy Dunne. 3 years ago we had no club and in the 5 year plan we were well ahead of schedule. Player power is what cost Tommy his job and this is a very dangerous thing to give into the players should have been faced down and the manager should have been backed. The team performances since have been the worst since we came back into the league especially away against Wexford.

Micky Adams was approached by the club twice so Shane was at the very best 3rd choice.

We had 2 fantastic seasons under Tommy and some people might try and bad mouth him but the majority of gufc fans were not happy with the way he was treated.

Olander
04/11/2016, 2:43 PM
You speak for the majority of course.

El-Pietro
04/11/2016, 3:13 PM

Do you?

WoodquayBoy
04/11/2016, 3:16 PM
No more nor more less than you do.
There is an obvious split between those who believe the club was right to sack Dunne to those who think it was wrong.
Time will tell

Olander
04/11/2016, 3:22 PM
Do you?

No more nor more less than you do.
My opinion is my own, I never spoke for anyone else in my posts on this issue or came out with sweeping statements like the "majority" thought it was harsh or not harsh to sack him. It just shows how blinded he is to come out blaming the big bad players for everything and poor oul Tommy had nothing to do with our poor season at all. At least I acknowledged the players part in it and I'm looking forward to a clear out of the deadwood.

WoodquayBoy
04/11/2016, 4:24 PM
I'm looking forward to a clear out of the deadwood.

We'll need a fairly big wood chipper!
Onwards and upwards

Longfordian
04/11/2016, 4:35 PM
I can totally get the galway fans saying he'd taken them as far as he could go, having lived through pat scully and the current boss. (I don't think galways team is much better than lower midtable in the prem but whatever they've seen them more than I have)

But... Erm...Shane Keegan??

Doesn't exactly scream ambition.

I'm going to say there's a lot more to the off the field stuff some of the galway fans have alluded to.

Tony Cousins turned down a return to Galway to focus on driving his taxi.

El-Pietro
04/11/2016, 6:35 PM
My opinion is my own, I never spoke for anyone else in my posts on this issue or came out with sweeping statements like the "majority" thought it was harsh or not harsh to sack him. It just shows how blinded he is to come out blaming the big bad players for everything and poor oul Tommy had nothing to do with our poor season at all. At least I acknowledged the players part in it and I'm looking forward to a clear out of the deadwood.

I never claimed to speak for any Galway fans. I think the decision makers at Galway have made a rash decision. I may or may not be proved right or wrong in time.

Martinho II
04/11/2016, 9:42 PM
if Shane Keegan is confirmed will he be Galway Utds marketing manager? I am not convinced on this at all. Wexfords season collapsed over the last few months of the season and were just about better than us .Their goal against record was one better than us!

White Horse
04/11/2016, 9:44 PM
I'd say Galway fans are buzzing with excitement at the imminent appointment of Shane Keegan.

Will he bring Lee Chin on a "play when I'm arsed" deal?

gufct
04/11/2016, 9:57 PM

Nail on the head there.

Olander
04/11/2016, 10:02 PM
Nail on the head there.
A perfect example of why we will never be anything in the League of Ireland. Finishing 9th is considered a good return, no wonder we haven't won a trophy in over 20 years.

ger121
04/11/2016, 11:01 PM
A perfect example of why we will never be anything in the League of Ireland. Finishing 9th is considered a good return, no wonder we haven't won a trophy in over 20 years.

In fairness to you, you'be only been in existence for a couple of years. Don't worry, you are a young club and these things take time!

Olander
04/11/2016, 11:02 PM
In fairness to you, you'be only been in existence for a couple of years. Don't worry, you are a young club and these things take time!
Good one.

Town Legend
04/11/2016, 11:03 PM
I've already said that the players are not blameless in the situation and more than likely a few will not receive new contracts because of some of their poor displays. But yes, ultimately, it's the managers job to motivate and get the best out of his team, which Dunne failed to do.

The argument that 9th was our best finish since blah blah doesn't hold up, we stayed up in a poor Division where two of the sides below us are essentially amateur and one slashed their budget (Longford), we had a weekly budget that was three of four times the size of those under us. That's the reality of the situation.

Agreed on the Dundalk game, we did play well, but there were circumstances in that game that also gave us more of a chance than normal to beat Dundalk, you played BATE three days previously in an extremely taxing fixture and you also rested some key players against us.

Our budget wasn't slashed, it was the same as last season. Cousins destroyed our squad, not because of funds been pulled but it was because he didn't like experienced players in the squad who might of disagreed with him.

nigel-harps1954
04/11/2016, 11:11 PM
Wexford and who was the other amateur side? Harps aren't amateur.

WoodquayBoy
04/11/2016, 11:13 PM
Shameful that United leaked the news the day before/of such an important game for Wexford. Especially as he wouldn't be considered a 'marquee' signing. But sure, the board have acted and appointed the new manager so we can all look forward now to winning the league and sniggering at the pathetic efforts of all those who have led the club since 1976, and especially in the last 3 seasons when we had to rise from the ashes without even a pot to p*ss in to win promotion and survive on poor gates with the best players from Galway playing in the north-west and north-east.

Olander
04/11/2016, 11:28 PM
Last time I checked Galway United didn't run the chronic tribune.

Darkglasses
04/11/2016, 11:55 PM
Last time I checked Galway United didn't run the chronic tribune.

Somebody in the club almost certainly leaked to them, however.

Nesta99
05/11/2016, 5:51 AM
Few long days at work and i miss some of the best ranting of the season.

With a few games left to play I dont see how humouring players by getting rid of the manager without someone ready to step in to have assess the squad prior to offering contract renewals is the best idea. It would make sense if the board thought the were getting someone in but it didnt work out so there was a bit of scrambling for a new manager. The bard could have koncked a player revolt on the head by telling them to put up as Dunne was going anyway and save the obvious split of opinion on how things were handled and Dunne treated. It does seem that TD is grand for getting teams up and consolidate but then stagnates; all in all it could have been dealt with without anyone losing face.
It is a pity that Wexford's preparation for the play-off can be said to have been disrupted but really it is unlikely in LoI that Wexford players wouldnt have known or not heard rumours. In general the last week at Wexford is an example of the messing that can effect credibility of the league with a teams top player choosing an award ceremony over a vital play-off game. Surely the likes of Chin was contracted 'til season end including the possibility of a play-off!?

I dont think Galway fans are expecting too much in aspiring to doing better than 9th in the league and have decent cup runs. The potential club (facilities) and support wise is there so why settle for mediocrity albeit with balance in terms not throwing in the towel when it doesnt happen overnight, Ollie Horgan would have Galway fans jumping for joy at the seasons efforts. Keegan has done a fine job at Youth considering their resources and using local talent. He is of course a gamble of an appointment which is the case in most managerial appointments. He is under a bit of pressure already if it is well known that he was something of a panic appointment (3rd chice) so is on a hiding to nothing. It is possible that he could turn out to be appointment suited to Galway with fresh thinking, working with more resources and not from the managerial merry-go-round. He certainly will do a job with introducing the new underage structures and hopefully will manage the elder players too. It would be great to see Galway improve and tap in to the potential support.

Limerick and Drogheda up add more in terms of crowds at games with respect to long suffering Longford fans and Youths, who have been a success for the model that they used in getting Premier Division football. Galway should be able for comfortable mid table and then build. I can see why EP would have a soft spot for Dunne after his time at Cork but calling decisions at another club or team that will be seen a couple of times a season as insanity is a bit know all. I think if Cork dont win the cup it is insanity to keep John Caulfield for 2017 and that Tommy Dunne should be taken back to Turners Cross :p

JC_GUFC
05/11/2016, 6:55 AM
There's a big ranting argument going on here Nesta. Please don't spoil it with a sensible reasoned post.

Tommy Dunne's biggest problem was that we started the season so well, there were even hushed mentions of top 4, then after losing to Bohs in the cup (I think they hadn't scored for 8 games up to that) our season started unravelling and we went completely down hill.
As someone mentioned we played really well to beat Dundalk 1-0 but that performance was totally out of the blue at the time and just showed the potential. Tommy can't be blameless in not getting the best out of the players, even if they have gone on since to show no improvement.

Realistically this season a top half would have been excellent and 7th or 8th the aim. Finishing 9th is not a disaster but it was just how it happened.

Keegan is a very interesting appointment, although they got relegated no-one could question his achievements at Wexford.
He was left high and dry by the players who left for New Zealand and the squad really suffered.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned much is the Danny Furlong issue. He was left out of the squad about 6 weeks ago and apparently also left the club but Keegan managed to get him back on side and he ended up scoring more goals at the end of the season than he had all year.

Next year will be tough but we should be aiming for 7th at least.