PDA

View Full Version : lennoxs lack of ambition

Pages : [1] 2

thecorner
06/02/2005, 1:29 PM
disgusted reading yesterdays echo and the interview with lennox.. shows real lack of ambition and seems happy just to exist

could be time for him to step down if this is gonna be his attitude

patsh
06/02/2005, 1:44 PM
I can't for the life of me see how the man is showing any lack of ambition.
What do you expect him to say That he intends to win the Champions League?
He gave an honest and realistic view of how he sees things, and as he has often asked before, he needs more people with money to come on board to take City to the next level.
I know eberybody has a right to their opinion, butI just do not understand all this anti-Lennox stuff at the moment.
For a while it was anti-Dolan, now Lennox, MUST City fans always have an agenda against somebody....:rolleyes:

thecorner
06/02/2005, 1:48 PM
he seems happy for the club just to exist
he reckons improving on last season is a decent cup run

I,for one am sick sh!t of winning just the munster senior cup.

thecorner
06/02/2005, 4:21 PM
i thought he came across very good. he is realistic bout whats happening at the club on the field and off regarding money.

yeah sure lets be happy just to exist and win the munster senior cup every year.

time for wallace to come in

lennox has shown his lack of ambition, time to bring it to next level.

in dolan we have a manager that wants success

is obvious now we wont achieve this with lennox at the helm

joe
06/02/2005, 4:26 PM
Read to me like he was a man who knew the restrictions and constraints that an eL club must work under to survive, which imho is the first step to improving, ie you must first have your house in order before you consider reaching for the sky, ie walk before you run.

Who out there is going to just magically appear and take over the club if Lennox does call it a day?

thecorner
06/02/2005, 4:27 PM
ie walk before you run.

so are we getting gerard houlliers magic 3 year plan or is it a real 3 year plan

thecorner
06/02/2005, 4:28 PM
now la manga.

which has also turned out to be a bullsh!t story

joe
06/02/2005, 4:29 PM
so are we getting gerard houlliers magic 3 year plan or is it a real 3 year plan

Never mentioned anything about a three year plan. A ball hasn't even been kicked in anger in 2005 and people are already writing off our chances of success, why?

A face
06/02/2005, 5:23 PM

This was always just a rumour though .... nothing solid ever came of it. We have not seen anything concrete to indicate that Wallace would even be interested.

Maybe it is not Lennox with a lack of ambition, but more of a City fans wanting to punch above their weight.

While the club is making progress, that must be a good thing.

eoinh
06/02/2005, 5:41 PM
This was always just a rumour though .... nothing solid ever came of it. We have not seen anything concrete to indicate that Wallace would even be interested.

And Wallace has plenty of concrete... he is a builder after all :)

I havent seen the article but imo both Lennox and Dolan are doing an excellent job.

harry crumb
06/02/2005, 5:55 PM

Maybe it is not Lennox with a lack of ambition, but more of a City fans wanting to punch above their weight.

While the club is making progress, that must be a good thing.

Exactly. We must be realistic and realise we are playing in the League of Ireland. WE have made more progress in the last 3 years under Lennox than in the previous 18 under other boards. Small steps is a good way to go about things. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

Éanna
06/02/2005, 10:59 PM
Read to me like he was a man who knew the restrictions and constraints that an eL club must work under to survive, which imho is the first step to improving, ie you must first have your house in order before you consider reaching for the sky, ie walk before you run.

Who out there is going to just magically appear and take over the club if Lennox does call it a day?
exactly. He's done a lot of work in the last few years, and has been happy to let Dolan take an enormous amount of (deserved) credit for what he has done on the pitch, while Lennox etc work away in the background. I think people who are criticising Brian have very short memories and are showing a staggering level of ingratitude to a man who has basically saved this club from going out of business and turned it around into a position to compete for top honours.

Fair_play_boy
07/02/2005, 1:52 AM
I think people who are criticising Brian have very short memories and are showing a staggering level of ingratitude to a man who has basically saved this club from going out of business and turned it around into a position to compete for top honours.Spot on, Eanna.

razor
07/02/2005, 7:32 AM
Very impressed by the article, came across as a guy with his feet firmly planted on the ground.
It needs to be run sensibly and I think Brian is doing this.
The man has ambition for the club but he isn't losing the run of himself.
Keep up the good work.

Buile Shuibhne
07/02/2005, 8:36 AM
Agree that he comes across as very honest and realistic - but as an outsider looking in - I find it very strange in this wide ranging interview, that he makes absolutely no reference to your manager Pat Dolan?

patsh
07/02/2005, 8:52 AM
Agree that he comes across as very honest and realistic - but as an outsider looking in - I find it very strange in this wide ranging interview, that he makes absolutely no reference to your manager Pat Dolan?
He makes no reference to anyone on the playing side, except for Shane Long. The interview consists of his thoughts on his role in the club, his general overall views on the strength of the current squad, and some of the difficulties he has found in being a chairman. He wasn't asked for an evaluation on how the manager and players are performing, so why is it surprising that Dolan wasn't mentioned?

Ronnie
07/02/2005, 9:58 AM
I didn't see the article and I'm not a city fan, but the potential at City outstrips every other club in the country. However, for it to be a successful club you need to be their or thereabouts every year, no good doing it once every 5 or 6 years. If building slowly and correctly to eventually achieve this objective is the aim I wouldn't criticise the man.

Buile Shuibhne
07/02/2005, 10:00 AM
Is it not the manager's job to decide if, and in what positions, new signing's are required - subject of course to finances being made available by the chairman / board?.

I read also on your official site that technical director Liam Murphy has agreed the terms of a new contract with Billy Woods - again normally the team manager does this?

niamh
07/02/2005, 10:10 AM
I can't believe some of what I have just read.
Unreal. I was shocked when I read the story this morning. IMO Lennox is one of the best things that has ever happened to the club and the fact that he is realistic and down to earth makes me thing he is very much the man for the job.
BUT it can't be easy and is very much a drain on his time and financial resources. Maybe it is time for the fans of CCFC to show him how much we appreciate everything he has done??

Colm
07/02/2005, 10:56 AM

Spot on. I was very impressed with what he said, it sounds ambitious yet extremely realistic and bodes well for the future of the club imo.

Corner, where are you seeing the lack of ambition? I can't see it at all to be honest. Quite the opposite if anything.

patsh
07/02/2005, 10:59 AM
Is it not the manager's job to decide if, and in what positions, new signing's are required - subject of course to finances being made available by the chairman / board?.

I read also on your official site that technical director Liam Murphy has agreed the terms of a new contract with Billy Woods - again normally the team manager does this?
Lennox merely gave his own personal view on the strength of the playing squad, he is not deciding what player is to be signed and where.
Dolan decides on which players he wants, Murphy deals with the details of the contracts. Nothing abnormal in that? Dolan concentrates on the bigger picture here, that of trying to get the players and team right on the pitch. It's hardly necessary for him to be discussing the euros and cents with players is it?

patsh
07/02/2005, 11:01 AM
I can't believe some of what I have just read.
Unreal. I was shocked when I read the story this morning. IMO Lennox is one of the best things that has ever happened to the club and the fact that he is realistic and down to earth makes me thing he is very much the man for the job.
BUT it can't be easy and is very much a drain on his time and financial resources. Maybe it is time for the fans of CCFC to show him how much we appreciate everything he has done??
If you look at some of the stuff thats been posted about him on the corkcityfc forum, and some of the comment starting to appear here, it seems like there is a concerted effort by some people to attack Lennox over the last few weeks.
There is a definite anti-Lennox agenda out there, and I would love to know what has prompted all of this.

Citygirl
07/02/2005, 12:37 PM
Lennox is by far one of the best things that has happened to the club EVER! anyone that says he lacks ambition seriousy needs to take a look at what hes done since taking over..remember what the club was like under terry dunne and those other gob****es?we've moved on so much since then

adamd164
07/02/2005, 1:11 PM
I respect Lennox for what he's done but he said himself that SOMEONE ELSE will have to take the club to the next level, the problem being, who??

piratemousey
07/02/2005, 3:45 PM
when i win the lotto...............

rebelnorrie
07/02/2005, 4:46 PM
disgusted reading yesterdays echo and the interview with lennox.. shows real lack of ambition and seems happy just to exist

could be time for him to step down if this is gonna be his attitude

if lennox said that we're gonna be serious contenders the cup and league u'd probably still come on here b1tchin.....sayin that his aims are unrealistic,he's puttin pressure on players and fooling the fans.......therefor it "could be time for him to step down if this is gonna be his attitude"

conboy
07/02/2005, 4:56 PM
Brian Lennox is the reason why City has the squad it has, and is also the reason why we are frustratingly near championships and cup titles going in to the next season. He is a realist and loves the club and the city. He has the backing and goodwill of a lot of people and I reckon in time he will leave over the club to bigger and commited financial interests but only when the time is right and he has found the right successor. I trust his judgement and I am tired of the backstabbing and spite that has been directed against him lately. :cool:

dahamsta
07/02/2005, 5:02 PM
I'll tell ya somethin, when I read threads like this I can understand why some football managers and owners put their hands over their ears and scream "LA LA LA" when anyone comes anywhere near them with a web browser. No matter what you do, there's always some "expert" out there to tell you you're doing it completely wrong, and how you should be doing it.

For the record, there's a very simple way of putting it all in perspective: Think about where the club would be now if it was still in the former owner's hands.

adam

adamd164
07/02/2005, 5:11 PM
Adam I understand your point and the guy has taken us a long way, but Lennox simply doesn't have the money to take us to the level of Shels.

thecorner
07/02/2005, 5:37 PM
Corner, where are you seeing the lack of ambition? I can't see it at all to be honest. Quite the opposite if anything.

an improvement on last season is to have a good cup run??????

IMO we deserve more than just a good cup run.

Gary
07/02/2005, 5:46 PM
the guy has taken us a long way, but Lennox simply doesn't have the money to take us to the level of Shels.

And who does have this money, and actually wants to invest in City. Its not like there are bids flying in from all angles. Also, how do people know "that Lennox cannot afford to bring City the extra step"? Is there any basis for these claims? As many have mentioned already, Lennox is nothing if not realistic. His comments merely mirrored that fact.

an improvement on last season is to have a good cup run??????

Yes, it would. City havent had a cup run now since 2002. However, an improvement in the league would be nice as well. Who is to say that wont happen this coming season?

where the club would be now if it was still in the former owner's hands.

Simple. It would be gone. Ramblers would be Corks only eL representative.

thecorner
07/02/2005, 5:55 PM
its obvious pat dolan believes this club can be taken to higher level. but hes gonna need backing. shels go out and get 4 quality players while we are still twiddling our thumbs.
its also obvious that the chairmans ambition doesnt match that of the manager.

didnt dolan say he had a 3 year plan. if this fails, how many people will point the finger at dolan. a lot id say. but how is it his fault if there is no cash being made available.

you might say there is no cash available but when is the last time city bought a player? what about this massive sponsorship deal we got?

im only looking at the other side of the arguement. there is always 2 sides.

granted,lennox came in when times were hard but there is no place in football for sentiment.

i,for one wish he was the chairman to bring us to the next level. i just dont think thats likely

adamd164
07/02/2005, 5:56 PM
And who does have this money, and actually wants to invest in City. Its not like there are bids flying in from all angles.

I don't know. I asked the exact same question in this thread.

Also, how do people know "that Lennox cannot afford to bring City the extra step"? Is there any basis for these claims?

In Saturday's Echo, Lennox said 'someone else will have to step in and take the club to the next level' in a few years. Ya, that's ambition. :rolleyes:

joe
07/02/2005, 5:59 PM
i,for one wish he was the chairman to bring us to the next level. i just dont think thats likely

and who would you have in there instead?

Gary
07/02/2005, 5:59 PM
you might say there is no cash available but when is the last time city bought a player? what about this massive sponsorship deal we got?

After some of the signings made by Dolan, I wouldnt leave him anywhere near a cheque book. Okay, he got Doyle directly. Gamble, Kearney etc would have ended up at City anyway, no matter who was in charge. Dont bother mentioning Danny Murphy either, as he contacted City offering his services.

thecorner
07/02/2005, 6:01 PM
After some of the signings made by Dolan, I wouldnt leave him anywhere near a cheque book. Okay, he got Doyle directly. Gamble, Kearney etc would have ended up at City anyway, no matter who was in charge. Dont bother mentioning Danny Murphy either, as he contacted City offering his services.

total contradiction gary. first of all u say u wouldnt leave him near a cheque book and then go on to name 4 great signings :confused:

Gary
07/02/2005, 6:05 PM
Yes, but as I pointed out above, AFAIK, Dolan only directly influenced one of those transfers.

Look at his other signings. Hedderman. Packer. Byrne. Yukoh. Casey. One was as bad as the next.

dahamsta
07/02/2005, 6:38 PM
Anyone got the time to type this article out, or send me a scan?

adam

joe
07/02/2005, 6:41 PM
Anyone got the time to type this article out, or send me a scan?

adam

it's transcribed on corkcityfc.ie

dahamsta
07/02/2005, 6:59 PM
Cheers Joe. Reading it, I reckon you could take the article either way depending on your outlook. The only "lack of ambition" I'd be concerned about would be the fact that he feels that soccer in Ireland is still run by hobbyists, including himself.

If you read the article having already decided that Lennox is no good for the club, as thecorner seems to believe, then I guess you're going to pick up a "local" negative vibe from it. Me, I'd be surprised if any owner or manager in Ireland didn't feel the exact same.

Personally, I believe that he's very much on the right track and needs to keep going that way if he wants Irish football to break out of this ridiculous hobbyist funk, and become a viable business interest.

adam

Éanna
07/02/2005, 7:27 PM

Murphy deals with all contract negotiations. IMO, thats a good thing, as it removes the chance for any hassle between Dolan and players regarding wages etc. Also, given the way Dolan is alleged to have spent money at Pats, its a handy safeguard against the same thing happening again.

Éanna
07/02/2005, 7:31 PM
didnt dolan say he had a 3 year plan. if this fails, how many people will point the finger at dolan. a lot id say. but how is it his fault if there is no cash being made available.
So are you honestly saying that Dolan would have taken the job without asking Lennox what kind of money was available? Dolan knows the game, and he knows the league- so no chance. Its the same as the training facilities issue.

Éanna
07/02/2005, 7:32 PM
Adam I understand your point and the guy has taken us a long way, but Lennox simply doesn't have the money to take us to the level of Shels.
He has. And he has also said that he will hand over to someone else, who is willing to take us to the next level. So why criticise him? he's being realistic. He doesn't want to bankrupt himself or the club, and he's dead right. Would people rather he did a Ridsdale on it and left the club in bits?

Éanna
07/02/2005, 7:33 PM
I'll tell ya somethin, when I read threads like this I can understand why some football managers and owners put their hands over their ears and scream "LA LA LA" when anyone comes anywhere near them with a web browser. No matter what you do, there's always some "expert" out there to tell you you're doing it completely wrong, and how you should be doing it.
if i was Brian Lennox and i was reading some of this, I'd probably turn around and tell people to go **** themselves, and take off. After all he's done, he doesn't deserve this.

thecorner
07/02/2005, 9:14 PM
So are you honestly saying that Dolan would have taken the job without asking Lennox what kind of money was available? .
well if we are to belive the rumours that they arent exactly the best of friends could it be steming from your point i.e. so much yoyos is available and dolan is still waiting to see the so much yoyos

Yes, but as I pointed out above, AFAIK, Dolan only directly influenced one of those transfers.
Look at his other signings. Hedderman. Packer. Byrne. Yukoh. Casey. One was as bad as the next

not a first teamer but nwanko never let the side down when called upon

cant get every signing right

pete
07/02/2005, 10:02 PM
I'm very surprised by the reaction of some people here. Sounds like a very reasonable article to me.

Last Season
League 2nd
FAI Cup 2nd round
Inter Toto Cup 3rd round

Next season
Going to be hard to beat shel$ into 1st so 2nd won't be a disaster (will probably depend how we perfrom)
FAI Cup - definitely look to improve as can't do worse.
Is Inter Toto Cup 3rd round = UEFA 2nd qualifying round?

Remember no club besides Bohs or shel$ has made it past the 1st qualifying round of Uefa CUP in recent years...

Lennox is right to mention manner Drogs are spending money - it would be surprising if they could pay for it in the long run as owners pockets are only so deep.

I think Lennox has mentioned often enough hes desire to invite more money into the club but doesn't sound like anyone really stepping up...? I've been following city for 15 years now & never seen chairman take such an interest in clubs wellbeing now & into the future.

btw he is 100% correct in saying priority has to be good centre midfielder. I only saw Long in 2 u-21 games last year but he looked much better than Behan & could do job for 1st team squad already.

thecorner
07/02/2005, 11:59 PM
btw he is 100% correct in saying priority has to be good centre midfielder.

priority...no way
colin t, gamble and georgie all fighting for 2 spots in there

priority=centre half and the faster the better. in fact this is a neccesity.

razor
08/02/2005, 7:40 AM
priority...no way
colin t, gamble and georgie all fighting for 2 spots in there

priority=centre half and the faster the better. in fact this is a neccesity.
I would disagree here, yes there is a requirement for a centre half but a strong, tough, no nonsense central midfielder is a greater need. Gamble did well in this role last season but we need another to keep a push on for places.

ConfusedBlue
08/02/2005, 12:00 PM
And do the same to CCFC as they did above to SPA,is it????

anto eile
08/02/2005, 12:27 PM
fao the corner. be realistic come on. at least in lennox you have a chairman who is sensible and realsitic and knows how to keep the club living within its means,which will ensure longterm survival of your club. (unlike fordsons,cork hibs,cork celtic, cork alberts and the rest.remember them?).
btw as for dolan, he left st pats in the sh!t with the cash he spent in bringing them success. they are still not yet recovered even 3 years after he left,they need to revert to part-time this year.dont believe dolans nonsense if permitted then hel screw you in the longterm by not living within your means.