PDA

View Full Version : Lee Chin

joey B
02/11/2016, 10:29 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/1102/828546-lee-chin/

Missing the second leg of the play-off for an awards ceremony he has no chance of winning an award in :confused::confused: Mental!!

White Horse
02/11/2016, 10:30 AM
Has he confirmed he won't be at the play-off.

I suspect that this is sh1t stirring by the GAA heads who resent any GAA player who plays football.

joey B
02/11/2016, 10:39 AM
Im just going by Soccer Republic's Facebook and Twitter not gospel but Ill take it on its merits I suppose.

Real ale Madrid
02/11/2016, 10:39 AM
Two words lads.

Davy Fitz

nigel-harps1954
02/11/2016, 10:54 AM
GAA probably have had a word in his ear about his priorities. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "if you don't go here you will never play inter-county again" warning put to him. It's something I've heard of happening in several counties over the past few years.

brendy_éire
02/11/2016, 11:12 AM
Swanky dinner >>>> Drogheda

White Horse
02/11/2016, 11:31 AM
Swanky dinner >>>> Drogheda

Who could pass up a fish supper from Dom's after the game?

Titan
02/11/2016, 12:20 PM
Yeah heard it was him who tweeted that he wouldnt be available for the 2nd leg. Obvious where his priorities lie. Fair enough if its his choice but to us outsiders it seems nuts.

redobit
02/11/2016, 1:08 PM
Surely there is some type of contract that doesn't give him a choice.

El-Pietro
02/11/2016, 1:09 PM
If its over and he doesn't plan on playing for them next season then what would it matter what his contract says.

ForzaForth
02/11/2016, 1:42 PM
As far as I know, Lee Chin was happy to play for expenses only and it was known that he would only be available once his local club were knocked out of the county championship. Given that Shane Keegan knew for some time that the NZ departures would be happening, I'd say Lee was doing a lot more for us (the Youths) than we were doing for him.

However, I'd agree overall that what has happened this year in Wexford places a serious question as regards the sustainability of an amateur (i.e.no payments) approach to players. If we remain in the Premier Division, we'll have to conjure up a budget for players next season. Shane Keegan has already confirmed that only three players were under contract this year.

WoodquayBoy
02/11/2016, 2:58 PM
Apparently all award nominees are 'obligated' to attend. Make of that what you will

White Horse
02/11/2016, 3:01 PM
Apparently all award nominees are 'obligated' to attend. Make of that what you will

It's the GAA, the North Korea of sport.

pineapple stu
02/11/2016, 5:01 PM
As far as I know, Lee Chin was happy to play for expenses only
the sustainability of an amateur (i.e.no payments) approach to players.
I'm confused. Are ye paying players or not?

nigel-harps1954
02/11/2016, 5:06 PM

In the same way the GAA don't pay players.

oldyouth
02/11/2016, 6:04 PM

It's is rumoured that 3 players get a little bit of money and the rest get minimal expenses.

pineapple stu
02/11/2016, 11:07 PM
I'd be interested to see how you can go off paying "expenses"

Sounds a bit like a tax dodge to me?

Charlie Darwin
03/11/2016, 1:06 AM
I'd be interested to see how you can go off paying "expenses"

Sounds a bit like a tax dodge to me?
Who knows? Some clubs pay bare minimum expenses, some clubs pay what's basically a cheeky wage. Wexford aren't getting anybody who's not in the local area anyway so say it'd be closer to the former than the latter.

ToberonaTornado
03/11/2016, 3:34 AM
Mick Wallace,tax & Wexford Youths?? I'm saying nothing or next i'll be a PMQ in the Dail!!

sadloserkid
03/11/2016, 8:21 AM
Going back a while now but Gary Sheehan was well looked after down there.

pineapple stu
03/11/2016, 9:13 AM
Who knows? Some clubs pay bare minimum expenses, some clubs pay what's basically a cheeky wage. Wexford aren't getting anybody who's not in the local area anyway so say it'd be closer to the former than the latter.
Well this is it. But "expenses" or a "cheeky wage" still sounds a bit dodgy. I don't see how it's allowed.

But I guess the main point is that there's not a huge difference for the club between paying a guy, say, E100 a week in expenses and E100 a week in wages. So I don't know if Forze Forth's comment on the big jump they need to advance from being an amateur club is necessarily entirely correct.

In the same way the GAA don't pay players.
The GAA is different; we all know that.

And I'm not talking sarcastically here; I mean I'd say it's probably considered different in law.

Straightstory
03/11/2016, 9:27 AM
Totally amateurish approach by Wexford - befitting of their amateur status. 'I'll play when I want to'.
Laughable.
Wouldn't happen in any other league in the world.
Really hope the Drogs can turn them over in the second leg.

disgruntled
03/11/2016, 10:39 AM
I can't understand why some are having a problem with this ?
Whatever arrangement Wexford have with Chin is their own business.
If it suits Wexford & it suits Chin & its above board then there's no problem.

I think there's a little bit of jealously in some of the posts on here.
Maybe its something to do with the fact that Wexford can hold their own in the Premier Div while some more illustrious clubs can't make a go of it in the 1st Div.
Maybe if the rest of the clubs were as organised as Wexford we wouldn't have some of the problems we hear about in the LOI.

passinginterest
03/11/2016, 10:40 AM
It's disappointing but they're just going to have to take it on the Chin and move on.

WoodquayBoy
03/11/2016, 10:46 AM
I would imagine that listing the payment as 'expenses' rather than 'wages' means the club would save on employee PRSI and avoid having to provide a pension option. Small change possibly, but depends on the financial circumstances

pineapple stu
03/11/2016, 10:46 AM
I can't understand why some are having a problem with this ?
Whatever arrangement Wexford have with Chin is their own business.
If it suits Wexford & it suits Chin & its above board then there's no problem.

I think there's a little bit of jealously in some of the posts on here.
Maybe its something to do with the fact that Wexford can hold their own in the Premier Div while some more illustrious clubs can't make a go of it in the 1st Div.
Maybe if the rest of the clubs were as organised as Wexford we wouldn't have some of the problems we hear about in the LOI.
All of this is a bit of a tangential rant, which is surprising given you've hit the nail on the head with the bit in bold.

I would imagine that listing the payment as 'expenses' rather than 'wages' means the club would save on employee PRSI and avoid having to provide a pension option. Small change possibly, but depends on the financial circumstances
It might also mean there's no tax being stopped. So it's cheaper for Wexford to employ a player.

All of which is potentially a bit naughty. I'm just curious as to how it's allowed. (Plus highlighting that if Wexford's players are being paid after all, then it's not a huge jump up to signing players on semi-pro contracts)

I'd like to get paid in "expenses"

Nah Nah Nah Nah
03/11/2016, 11:48 AM
Totally amateurish approach by Wexford - befitting of their amateur status. 'I'll play when I want to'.
Laughable.
Wouldn't happen in any other league in the world.
Really hope the Drogs can turn them over in the second leg.

Players refusing to play for their club happens all over the world. You can't force a player to play. Especially when it's not his main source of income.

pineapple stu
03/11/2016, 12:01 PM
In fairness, if (if) it was pressure from the GAA, then it's more understandable again.

Sam_Heggy
03/11/2016, 1:25 PM
Can see both sides of the argument.
Massive game for Wexford (potentially it's biggest game in LOI to date) and a player decides to go to an awards dinner instead of playing in the play-off. Doesn't look well.

On the other hand, he worked hard all year competing with bigger sides and is getting recognition for such. If he were to win the award, even if it's highly unlikely, it would look bad on him with the GAH heads if he was away playing "soccer" instead of attending a prestigious GAH event.

Moral of the story, stay away from the GAH players, LOI will always come 2nd.

Lim till i die
03/11/2016, 2:14 PM
Typical gah leechin off the rest of us.

Yossarian
03/11/2016, 3:33 PM
Moral of the story, stay away from the GAH.

Fixed that for you!

oldyouth
03/11/2016, 6:52 PM
This is why LOI is a mess. We have a club like WYFC trying to establish itself the right way by not throwing money at it and along come the back biters calling us a disgrace and a jokeshop for not 'controlling' our players. We're an amateur club and part of that means you cannot guarantee the services of your players from the start of the season to the end

Most of the discussion here in the off-season will be about the possibility of new clubs joining the league, yet you won't give recent entrants the space to develop their base, facilities and support. It's as if it would be better to have your squad on pro or semi-pro contracts, but never pay them

pineapple stu
03/11/2016, 8:08 PM
Who called Wexford a disgrace or a jokeshop?

ForzaForth
03/11/2016, 8:13 PM
Very good, LTID!

wonder88
03/11/2016, 11:08 PM
Fair play to the lad, the Youths were short players and he was asked to help, which he did on amateur terms. But hurling is his first game, he even flew to New York to play just before he signed for example. For any GAA player the All-Stars are a big deal as Marty Morrisey pointed out on the news tonight, and I recall being at the All-Ireland quarter-finals in Thurles in the summer and there was at least 12k Wexford supporters there that day indicating how important hurling is down there. I am sure his family and club members would also be looking forward to the awards party, Just a pity that there is a clash.
The Bohs keeper also is also involved at gaelic at club level, and Corcaran at St Pats also plays a bit of Intermediate football I think, which their clubs are happy to facilitate. In fact if Supple had stuck with it for the Dubs he could well have been in line for an All-Star seeing the winner this year was actually dropped for the final.

Ezeikial
05/11/2016, 8:18 AM
Is there any news on what Lee Chin had for his dinner?

JC_GUFC
05/11/2016, 8:55 AM
http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/he-isnt-a-make-or-break-player-for-us-wexford-boss-reacts-to-criticism-of-lee-chins-all-stars-absence-after-youths-are-relegated-35190386.html

A bit more context on this.

It seems originally he wasn't due to play the first leg.

I don't know why Lee Chin drew attention to this after Monday's game.
If he just hadn't been available last night would anyone have actually noticed he was at the All Stars rather than United Park?

I don't think too many Wexford fans are that bothered. From what I saw on Soc Rep anyway he seemed pretty rubbish and I'd take Keegan at his word that he wasn't going to start.

outspoken
05/11/2016, 9:30 AM
While lee chin would have had no difference on tonight's result had he played, it's no different than dean ebbe going on holidays for us before the second leg play off with bray. It's totally unforgivable. Hope he gets the ****3s from those dodgy GAA spuds

disgruntled
05/11/2016, 1:19 PM
http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/he-isnt-a-make-or-break-player-for-us-wexford-boss-reacts-to-criticism-of-lee-chins-all-stars-absence-after-youths-are-relegated-35190386.html

A bit more context on this.

It seems originally he wasn't due to play the first leg.

I don't know why Lee Chin drew attention to this after Monday's game.
If he just hadn't been available last night would anyone have actually noticed he was at the All Stars rather than United Park?

I don't think too many Wexford fans are that bothered. From what I saw on Soc Rep anyway he seemed pretty rubbish and I'd take Keegan at his word that he wasn't going to start.

Must have been very hard for Keegan & Chin.
As Keegan said Chin was just filling in space because Wexford were short of bodies. In the past it happened quite a lot & still does. Players use the opportunity to stay fit.
It was just the occasion which brought it to peoples attention. Saw Chin against City & he was nothing special. Its sad to see some people trying to pin it all on him.

The leaking of Keegans position was unfortunate if not intentional on some ones part ?
It wouldn't surprise me if he stayed with Wexford now especially if the leak came from Galway.

TheOneWhoKnocks
05/11/2016, 4:21 PM
Playing two different codes? Double Chin.

WoodquayBoy
05/11/2016, 6:39 PM
The leaking of Keegans position was unfortunate if not intentional on some ones part ?
It wouldn't surprise me if he stayed with Wexford now especially if the leak came from Galway.
Contract was signed this afternoon - he's the new
United manager