PDA

View Full Version : Austria v Rep of Ireland - Ernst Happel Stadium, Vienna - Sat, 12th Nov 2016 - WCQ

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

DeLorean
31/10/2016, 2:17 PM
O'Shea, Ward, McGeady, McCarthy & Long all injured at the moment. O'Dowda wasn't in the Bristol City squad at the weekend either.

Positives - the form of Coleman, Arter and I think Clark as well maybe, seems to be very much first choice at Newcastle now anyway.

Provisional squad being announced Wednesday.

Stuttgart88
31/10/2016, 4:34 PM
Duffy has kept 7 clean sheets in last 9 games for BHA I think.

DeLorean
31/10/2016, 4:50 PM
I did think of him but I suppose his form for us kind of outweighed his club form. Brighton was a brilliant move for him though.

paul_oshea
31/10/2016, 5:25 PM
who's looking likely to be back fit in time?

DeLorean
31/10/2016, 6:40 PM
I'd say McCarthy is as good as ruled out, Long seems to be 50/50 at best with O'Shea and Ward only pulling up with muscle injuries at the weekend so probably too early to tell.

nigel-harps1954
31/10/2016, 8:14 PM
O'Neill has suggested that up to four Dundalk players could get called up according to Neil O'Riordan.

Kingdom
31/10/2016, 9:45 PM
I call bull**** on that for starters. Horgan, yep. Finn, possibly. Massey, perhaps. Rogers, unlikely given he's been dropped at club level.

DeLorean
31/10/2016, 9:54 PM
O'Neill said four or more could easily make the step up. I'm sure he meant at some stage (as well as being diplomatic and complimentary at a LOI awards ceremony!) but The Sun try to spin it that they've moved into the fray for the Austria game, which obviously isn't going to happen.

Stuttgart88
31/10/2016, 10:45 PM
Who'd have thought we'd ever fret over an injury to Ward? Fair play to him for his hard work and the fruit it has borne.

OwlsFan
01/11/2016, 12:00 PM
O'Shea, Ward, McGeady, McCarthy & Long all injured at the moment. O'Dowda wasn't in the Bristol City squad at the weekend either.

Positives - the form of Coleman, Arter and I think Clark as well maybe, seems to be very much first choice at Newcastle now anyway.

Provisional squad being announced Wednesday.

Don't forget Westwood who is struggling with a back injury.

DeLorean
02/11/2016, 10:07 AM
Daryl Horgan and Andy Boyle called up to provisional squad. www.FAI.ie (http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/oneill-selects-provisional-squad-to-take-on-austria)

Republic of Ireland Provisional Squad

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Colin Doyle (Bradford City), Ian Lawlor (Manchester City), Danny Rogers (Falkirk*)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce (Derby County), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Paul McShane (Reading), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Andy Boyle (Dundalk), Stephen Ward (Burnley)

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Preston North End*), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), James McCarthy (Everton), Stephen Quinn (Reading), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), David Meyler (Hull City), Stephen Gleeson (Birmingham City), Conor Hourihane (Barnsley), Robbie Brady, Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Jonathan Hayes (Aberdeen), Daryl Horgan (Dundalk)

Forwards: Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Adam Rooney (Aberdeen), Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town)

*Indicates player is currently on loan

DeLorean
02/11/2016, 10:09 AM
Long ruled out - balls.

TheOneWhoKnocks
02/11/2016, 10:48 AM
5 goalkeepers. Colin Doyle. Bizarre.

I'd rather he name an outright squad with four or five players on standby.

It's pure tokenism. It will be first quarter 2017, Europa League exploits in the rear view mirror and a move to Britain before Horgan or Boyle are seriously considered.

Normally I would complain about Quinn's inclusion seeing as he's played ten minutes in five weeks, but if he can come on for fifteen minutes and do the same job he did in Serbia it will be worth it.

I'd probably leave McGeady home, let him get fit, and use this as an opportunity to give Horgan or Hayes a chance.

Good to see Doyle back in there and McGoldrick's goal against Rotherham couldn't have come at a better time for him.

paul_oshea
02/11/2016, 11:28 AM
Its fairly depressing looking at that squad. It's a bad indictment when we have a few injuries.

geysir
02/11/2016, 3:12 PM
Hard times come again.

Dunners
02/11/2016, 4:20 PM
How John Egan is not making the squad is baffling at this stage

Park_Lane
02/11/2016, 10:01 PM

Agreed, Pearse and McShane never play so why not get Egan in and get him used to being in the squad?

Stuttgart88
02/11/2016, 10:49 PM
I'd say disappointing rather than baffling, but I reckon I'm splitting hairs. I'd pick him all day long.

samhaydenjr
03/11/2016, 2:49 AM
5 goalkeepers. Colin Doyle. Bizarre.

I'd rather he name an outright squad with four or five players on standby.

It's pure tokenism. It will be first quarter 2017, Europa League exploits in the rear view mirror and a move to Britain before Horgan or Boyle are seriously considered.

Normally I would complain about Quinn's inclusion seeing as he's played ten minutes in five weeks, but if he can come on for fifteen minutes and do the same job he did in Serbia it will be worth it.

I'd probably leave McGeady home, let him get fit, and use this as an opportunity to give Horgan or Hayes a chance.

Good to see Doyle back in there and McGoldrick's goal against Rotherham couldn't have come at a better time for him.

Its fairly depressing looking at that squad. It's a bad indictment when we have a few injuries.

Hard times come again.

I wouldn't say it's that bad at all. After all, the squad includes two very good 'keepers and one promising up-and-comer, although I agree with TOWK that having five keepers seems a bit pointless, especially choosing Colin Doyle over Mark Bunn or Stephen Henderson and also considering that Rob Elliot will be fit again soon to present another option.

Our defence is still fairly solid, although a case could certainly have been made for the inclusion of John Egan. Also Tommie Hoban and Derrick Williams should probably have been considered if they were fit.

We still have a very decent midfield, with a variety of attacking weapons from there and at least two of the New Championship players (Hourihane and O'Dowda) are included. If O'Neill had been brave, he could have included Darragh Lenihan and/or Olamide Shodipo, but at this point it's not an outrage that he hasn't and we can look forward to them being added to the squad over the next year if they continue their career progression, along with Jack Byrne and Alan Browne possibly. And we can also look forward to judge returning from injury.

Admittedly Robbie Keane's retirement, Shane Long and Daryl Murphy's injuries and Jonathan Walters' loss of the great form he showed in the Euro 2016 qualifiers has made our forward line looking somewhat threadbare going into this game for sure. So there's no obvious source of goals - but we know McGoldrick has ability when fit and Rooney will probably be the hungriest 28-year-old international around and has really hit his level - along with our attacking options in midfield and defence I think this means we still have every chance of getting a goal or two and a result in Austria. And if a few things fall into place (Long returns from injury, Hogan declares for us, Will Keane grabs a couple of goals for Hull, Ronan Hale and Courtney Duffus start getting first-team football in the next year) our striking options will become better.

I did notice that the FAI announced a friendly against Iceland, to be played four days after the Wales game, so I would hope that the management team will take that opportunity to blood a handful of players into the squad (although not so many as to make the game meaningless). I have been considering the future of the national team and between young Championship and League One players and Development/Youth players with a lot of promise I reckon there's about 25-30 uncapped players who could be staking a claim for a place in the squad by the time the next qualifying campaign begins. So plenty reason for optimism going forward. And remember, we're still well in the fight in this campaign, even if we lose against Austria

Diggs246
03/11/2016, 1:50 PM
Austria's defence is their weak point, if we can hit them on the counter and also with set pieces I can see us getting at least one goal

geysir
03/11/2016, 5:03 PM
i see there's some (virtual) exchange of words between O'Neill and Koeman about our James.
I hope O'Neill reminds Koeman that he has 2 European cup medals compared to Koeman's solitary one.

BonnieShels
03/11/2016, 9:20 PM
Horgan starts...?

Diggs246
03/11/2016, 11:20 PM
No chance Horgan starts or is even on the beach against Austria.

gustavo
04/11/2016, 5:22 AM
Bondi?

johnnyc
04/11/2016, 8:14 AM
Horgan starts...?

The way he took that goal last night was very reminiscent of when Duff used to play in a more central attacking role under Mccarthy.

pineapple stu
04/11/2016, 9:18 AM
You'd probably find a carbon copy Duff goal somewhere alright.

Funny, the main (only?) criticism I'd have of Horgan is that his finishing has been poor throughout the groups. Even last night, with his shot in the first half straight at the keeper from a good position. Then he goes and scores a great goal like he did.

Would be interesting to see him feature in Austria. Can't tell if they're a step up from Zenit or not.

DeLorean
04/11/2016, 9:29 AM
I think playing for Ireland in a WCQ away to Austria would be a massive step up to be honest, regardless of whether they are actually better than Zenit or not. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a run though.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/11/2016, 10:45 AM
I think it's obvious really.

There is no way he should be starting, but he would be a useful option from the bench should we be chasing a game. He should definitely be in the final squad.

Jonny Hayes has played for Ireland and has hardly played at a high level of football throughout his career. Aiden McGeady doesn't offer much and wouldn't get into most Championship squads at this juncture of his career.

I think too much emphasis is placed on the domestic league (and I'm no fan of it).

Portugal just won a European Championships and they traditionally have some mediocre - to put it kindly - players padding out their national team alongside lads like Ronaldo.

I mentioned Hayes. In his brief cameos for us he hasn't looked lost. I think Horgan would offer significantly more than even him.

We're not exactly flush with options either. Pilkington can't be depended on to be fit.

geysir
04/11/2016, 2:12 PM
O'Neill has 16 midfielders in that provisional squad.
With 3 forwards selected in the final squad and cross out McGeady, McCarthy, O'Kane, Gleeson, Hourihane, O'Dowda, Hayes,
then Horgan might make the cut.

Bungle
04/11/2016, 2:28 PM
Years ago, Liverpool were masters at picking up guys from the lower leagues and turning them into world beaters. Those days are somewhat gone, but sometimes players have a class no matter what their surroundings or what the general standard around them is. The LOI isn't a high standard league, but there are players that could be fine players if given a chance, just like the next Messi could come from the Moldovan league.

Horgan is in my opinion easily capable of making the step up to international football. He has it in his locker to be a very good player and more than anything he gives us something different to what we have. I for one would like to see him involved at some point during the game.

Pity the likes of John Egan weren't involved in the squad. O'Neill is every bit as much as conservative as Trap, but if he gets us to the world cup I won't complain.

Diggs246
04/11/2016, 4:46 PM
If ward is fit, allowing brady to play in mid field i wouldn't mind seeing McClean upfront

Bungle
05/11/2016, 9:10 AM
Looks like Prodl will miss Watford's game tomorrow. He's a decent player.hopefully misses the game next Saturday.

DeLorean
05/11/2016, 3:56 PM
Last round of club action before the big one (http://foot.ie/threads/213703-Irish-Abroad-2016-17?p=1896985&viewfull=1#post1896985)

Was gonna put it here but got a bit carried away!

Closed Account
06/11/2016, 6:26 PM
Keiren Westwood
Started

Colin Doyle
Started

Danny Rogers
Started

Darren Randolph
Substitute

Ian Lawlor
Not in Squad

Shane Duffy
Started

C Sheet

Paul McShane
Started

C Sheet
Yellow

Séamus Coleman
Started

Ciaran Clark
Started

Richard Keogh
Started

Alex Pearce
Started

Andy Boyle
Started

Cyrus Christie
Started(46)
Injured

John O'Shea
Not in Squad
Injured

Stephen Ward
Not in Squad
Injured

Robbie Brady
Started(75)

Goal

Eunan O'Kane
Started

Assist

Aiden McGeady
Started(89)
Assist

Wes Hoolahan
Started

Yellow

Stephen Gleeson
Started

Conor Hourihane
Started

Jonny Hayes
Started

Daryl Horgan
Started

Jeff Hendrick
Started(86)

Harry Arter
Started(76)

Yellow

Glenn Whelan

Started(71)
Own Goal

Callum O'Dowda
Substitute(81)

David Meyler
Substitute

James McClean
Not in Squad
Suspended

James McCarthy
Not in Squad
Injured

Stephen Quinn
Not in Squad
Injured

Jonathan Walters
Started

Assist

Adam Rooney
Started
Assist

David McGoldrick
Started

Kevin Doyle
Started

geysir
06/11/2016, 6:34 PM
It was a convenient day for McClean to be suspended.

Diggs246
06/11/2016, 8:39 PM
O'kane and Wes on the pitch at the same time could be interesting. Both excellent passers with a bit of creative magic

DeLorean
07/11/2016, 12:19 PM
O'Neill to call on Arter to fill McCarthy midfield void (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/oneill-to-call-on-arter-to-fill-mccarthy-midfield-void-35191691.html)

Is the team starting to pick itself?

------------ Randolph------------

Coleman - Clark - Duffy - Brady

-------- Whelan - Arter ---------

- Hendrick-Hoolahan-McClean -

------------- Walters ------------

Diggs246
07/11/2016, 1:34 PM
I would agree ,bar two selections I would go with Westwood for Randolph and Keogh for Duffy

DeLorean
07/11/2016, 2:21 PM
I'd choose Westwood as well but I was going with what I think O'Neill will do. Keogh for Duffy is definitely a possibility but I think he'll keep faith with the big fella.

paul_oshea
07/11/2016, 3:43 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephen-hunt-why-wes-hoolahan-should-start-on-the-bench-against-austria-35191219.html

THe infographic attached is pretty depressing we have lost a lot more than won against most teams :/

SkStu
07/11/2016, 5:09 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephen-hunt-why-wes-hoolahan-should-start-on-the-bench-against-austria-35191219.html

THe infographic attached is pretty depressing we have lost a lot more than won against most teams :/

I dont think its depressing at all. It is just part and parcel of not being one of the global or European football powerhouses. Only for a short time were we ever considered "better than" Austria (90's and even then we lost twice to them, if not more) and i would say, pre-Jack, they would have been a tier above - maybe a couple of tiers at times throughout the history.

TheOneWhoKnocks
07/11/2016, 6:35 PM
Arter has a lot of hype to live up to if he does play - Fallon jumping the gun again as is his want.

TheOneWhoKnocks
07/11/2016, 6:55 PM
Strong hints on FAI Twitter that Horgan and Boyle are making final squad.

backstothewall
07/11/2016, 6:56 PM

The most surprising thing for me was that we haven't had a friendly against them since 1968. God knows how many time we've faced Poland (who are generally of a fairly similar calibre) in that time

backstothewall
07/11/2016, 7:10 PM
Strong hints on FAI Twitter that Horgan and Boyle are making final squad.

Yesterday was the first I've seen of either of them. What do people who have seen more of them think of their performances vs their usual level?

I wasn't really impressed enough by either to merit a place in the squad but they might just have been having a bad day.

Diggs246
07/11/2016, 8:02 PM
The dundalk lads made it, ward out

Stuttgart88
07/11/2016, 8:03 PM
I dunno. I think Horgan has that valuable ability to quickly make a yard of space from very little and send in a lovely floated cross that can cause danger. Very Duff like in several respects, without Duffer's pace from what I've seen on telly.

Fwiw I thought RTE covered the final well and the Cork fans looked great during their celebrations. I only turned on after 65 minutes but really enjoyed it from then on.

nigel-harps1954
07/11/2016, 9:12 PM
Yesterday was the first I've seen of either of them. What do people who have seen more of them think of their performances vs their usual level?

I wasn't really impressed enough by either to merit a place in the squad but they might just have been having a bad day.

FAI Cup final was no barometer of their ability. Dundalk were a shadow of themselves in the final, and were visibly wrecked after 60 minutes hit.

Horgan is very similar, not only in look, to Duff. Yard of pace and ability to beat the man from any angle. He'll be a cracking addition to the squad. Boyle is more of a modern day centre half and good with the ball to feet. He'll not particularly improve or weaken the squad as such, but he'll be an able replacement should he be called upon.

Stuttgart88
07/11/2016, 9:18 PM
Credit to Nigel. First person here to suggest Horgan get called up. 6 months ago? More?

Personally I thought it was LOI-tinted glasses with a bit of wacky backy on top, but luckily I didn't print my thoughts at the time :)

pineapple stu
07/11/2016, 9:21 PM
I'll be honest and say Boyle's inclusion is a bit of a surprise for me. Though that's maybe because I recall a horrendous blunder on his debut for us back in 2009, when he completely missed a header back to goal and let Limerick's forward in in the last minute, but the guy missed. And maybe also because I recall a horrendous blunder in his second game for us, when he completely missed a header back to goal and let Sporting Fingal's forward in in the last minute, but the guy missed. Obviously he's improved since then!

Horgan is well worth his place based on Euro games alone, though as I've said before, I'd like to see him improve his shooting/finishing.