PDA

View Full Version : Rovers to play in Dalymount

pineapple stu
04/02/2005, 12:41 PM
From eleven-a-side (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/ucd/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=15853). In the least surprising news of all time, the move to Drogheda has been revealed as just a temporary measure to get past UEFA Licencing! Games to kick-off at 7:45, not 7:00, and games v. Bohs to possibly moved to Tolka (according to the Irish Times).

Slash/ED
04/02/2005, 12:56 PM
What a shock

Still, it's good news to see it confirmed. It'll help Rovers a hell of alot and Bohs almost as much with the badly needed money.

the 12 th man
04/02/2005, 1:01 PM
had they not agreed a deal with drogheda ?

$Leon$
04/02/2005, 1:02 PM
games v. Bohs to possibly moved to Tolka (according to the Irish Times).

why?
whats the idea behind that?

Schumi
04/02/2005, 1:07 PM
They don't want Bohs to effectively have home advantage over them 3 times in the season.

Slash/ED
04/02/2005, 1:09 PM
I don't think that's needed, it'll be Rovers home ground too afterall. It's not like when they played in Richmond and had to play Bohs away 4 times, but I wont complain if Shels get the money for three extra games I suppose.

Schumi
04/02/2005, 1:18 PM
I don't think that's needed, it'll be Rovers home ground too afterall.
Not really, Rovers fans would be on the Connaught St. side and I'd say Bohs would insist on using the home dressing rooms, etc.

Slash/ED
04/02/2005, 9:07 PM
Not really, Rovers fans would be on the Connaught St. side and I'd say Bohs would insist on using the home dressing rooms, etc.

Yes but that's similar to when Rovers played in Tolka and had four games v Shels, or when Dublin City did it, or when Rovers played Pats in Richmond. I don't think it's really needed.

CollegeTillIDie
04/02/2005, 11:51 PM
had they not agreed a deal with drogheda ?

That was their fallback position. Had to declare a ground before a certain Friday in January. Bohs next board meeting was the following Monday and it was on the agenda so Drogheda stepped into the breach to bail the Hoops out.

NY Hoop
07/02/2005, 12:37 PM
Well it doesnt really matter where in the ground they put us cos there is a fair amount of Hoopers who are sick of this board and therefore not going to dalymount this season. Step too far when they could have got santry for half the money. Away games only this season.

KOH

mypost
08/02/2005, 4:53 AM
Well it doesnt really matter where in the ground they put us cos there is a fair amount of Hoopers who are sick of this board and therefore not going to dalymount this season. Step too far when they could have got santry for half the money. Away games only this season.

KOH

Tolka '87 revisited? Regardless of what you think of the board, the team need our support whether we're playing at home in Dalyer, Derry, or Drogheda. Dalyer's not ideal, but we have to play home games somewhere. The alternative after all, was Drogheda! D'you fancy going to Cork for more home games? No, me neither, so we have to take what we're given.

At least when we're not playing Bohs, we have unlimited access to the Shed End, and Jodi Stand, so we can see how the other half live!

drummerboy
08/02/2005, 8:50 AM

KOH
The pitch has been widened in Santry and the surface is far superior now than when Rovers last played there. Unfortunately methinks Rovers left Morton without paying bill.

NY Hoop
09/02/2005, 12:22 PM
Tolka '87 revisited? Regardless of what you think of the board, the team need our support whether we're playing at home in Dalyer, Derry, or Drogheda. Dalyer's not ideal, but we have to play home games somewhere. The alternative after all, was Drogheda! D'you fancy going to Cork for more home games? No, me neither, so we have to take what we're given.

At least when we're not playing Bohs, we have unlimited access to the Shed End, and Jodi Stand, so we can see how the other half live!

No organised boycott but people just want go. Yeah the team needs support and they will get it at away games. Paying into dalymoan is the last straw and giving any more money to this disgrace of a board is a sin.

And what makes you think the scum will allow you into the main stand??

KOH

mypost
10/02/2005, 4:18 AM
I'm sure you and others, have hated various members of the FAI in the past, however it didn't stop you buying match tickets to watch Ireland home games before, in a rented stadium, did it? How many fans cancelled their trips to the World Cup in Japan after the Saipan fiasco? Not that many. Ireland had the second highest support of European teams at the last World Cup.

Part of being a fan of a football club, means supporting your club when your team/club endures hard times. Many teams fans around the world, are unhappy with their owners/boards, but they still go to watch their team play, good or bad. Above all else, the teams' interests come first. Yes, our board are inept, but the players have to play, and they need us with them, especially when things get tough, like they are now at the club. It's your duty to turn up and support your club, regardless of where the game is played or what goes on behind the scenes at any one time, unless you can't for an unavoidable reason. That's what a football club fan does.

Bald Student
10/02/2005, 8:56 AM
I agree with a lot of what you said mypost, but I don't think that it applies to Rovers. Thay have been in this position for a long time now and the fans have certainly stuck with the club through bad times. The problem is that the current situation cannot be allowed to go on forever. I understand that Rovers are in debt and that the board plans to make a further loss this year, that type of activity has to stop sooner rather than later. The supporters are perfectly correct to give their club tough love and bring the issue to a head. While it may mean the club running short of money or even the first team getting relagated, even that is better than allowing the club to continue to be mis-managed. Shamrock Rovers is an old and successfull club. It will survive a season of poor results. It might not survive if it continues building up debt year on year.

NY Hoop
10/02/2005, 12:24 PM
Spot on Bald Student. It's incredible that there are still Rovers fans who are pro board and that it takes an opposing fan to point out the truth. Guarantee you this board have no interest in the club, it's what is at the end of the line that is keeping them on board.

KOH

A face
10/02/2005, 12:28 PM
Ireland had the second highest support of European teams at the last World Cup.

Who had the highest ??

Slash/ED
10/02/2005, 12:43 PM
England I think.

joeraki
10/02/2005, 4:33 PM
Part of being a fan of a football club, means supporting your club when your team/club endures hard times. Many teams fans around the world, are unhappy with their owners/boards, but they still go to watch their team play, good or bad. Above all else, the teams' interests come first. Yes, our board are inept, but the players have to play, and they need us with them, especially when things get tough, like they are now at the club. It's your duty to turn up and support your club, regardless of where the game is played or what goes on behind the scenes at any one time, unless you can't for an unavoidable reason. That's what a football club fan does.

That sounds like a happy go lucky fan to me to be honest, nothing wrong with that. If the figure of whats been said on various message boards is true €13 then thats not an inept board, thats a blooming criminal one !! If Rovers fans choose to go to war with the board through whatever means thats their business. War has no winnings or losers only victims, the team in this case, small price to pay if it mean theres a Rovers in a few years time

mypost
11/02/2005, 4:16 AM
It's incredible that there are still Rovers fans who are pro board.

KOH

Sorry but I don't see how my posts can be interpreted as pro-board. What I am saying is that you have to support your club (whoever it is) during their games, regardless of what goes on at boardroom level. You can't really blame the players if a club is being run by eejits. We don't like the current living arrangements, or the board, but the fans have to go to the games for the benefit of the team. If you deliberately don't go to the games, you only make a bad situation worse. The price in Rovers case could be relegation, which could torpedo the club into freefall, and eventually put us out-of-existence.

NY Hoop
11/02/2005, 12:25 PM
What happens on the pich is immaterial at this stage. It's the off pitch antics that we should be worried about. If you want to be naive that's your problem.

WAKE UP the board is killing this club and by paying into dalymount you are pro board. COP ON.

KOH

drummerboy
11/02/2005, 12:52 PM
Is this the rebirth of KRAM

mypost
12/02/2005, 4:20 AM
Is this the rebirth of KRAM

A rebirth of KRAM appears to be way off the mark. There are no campaigns to boycott home games from the supporters clubs, so I can't see many fans choosing to stay away. At the end of the day, the real fans will turn up, regardless of whatever hardships we may face along the way.

Passive
12/02/2005, 10:29 AM
At the end of the day, the real fans will turn up, regardless of whatever hardships we may face along the way.

It is up to each Rovers fan to examine the facts and make up their minds whether they want to support Branvard Limited. In my opinion, this club has gotten closer to extinction every day under the current regime. Their plans are insane, their friends are speculators, their actions are reckless. I do not trust their motives nor their methods and I no longer recognise them as Shamrock Rovers.
I've had enough.

joeraki
12/02/2005, 12:27 PM
A rebirth of KRAM appears to be way off the mark. There are no campaigns to boycott home games from the supporters clubs, so I can't see many fans choosing to stay away. At the end of the day, the real fans will turn up, regardless of whatever hardships we may face along the way.

Wasn't there a statement from the ultras on there forum that they won't be going ? thats one supporters club isn't it ? maybe others are going there on thing as well

Bald Student
12/02/2005, 12:59 PM
the real fans will turn upOn a small point, you should be careful about using terms like 'real fans'. We're all real fans here, we just have different opinions sometimes.

mypost
14/02/2005, 5:23 AM
WAKE UP the board is killing this club and by paying into dalymount you are pro board. COP ON.

KOH

As for the hysterical "killing this club" comments, SRFC has been left on a life-support machine since Kilcoyne sold Milltown in 1987, as we survive now mostly on goodwill, charity, and government grants.

When we played in Tolka in 87/88, the fans, myself included, boycotted the games outside the ground and only went to away games. It didn't change anything, and if it didn't then, the current board won't take any notice of boycotts now. The fans can't force him out, so until someone else takes control of the club, we're stuck with who we have. Protesting at Dalymount against the board while supporting the team on the field, is a lot more effective than choosing to stay away from games, which changes nothing, and is simply not an option.

NY Hoop
14/02/2005, 12:26 PM
When we played in Tolka in 87/88, the fans, myself included, boycotted the games outside the ground and only went to away games. It didn't change anything

Think that quote proves you are either a wind up artist or beyond delusional. :o "it didnt change anything"?????????????

I, too was on that boycott and the result was the kilcoynes left, that's what changed. The club was saved at the 11th hour and under the new board we won the league 6 years later.

The present board are killing the club. FACT not hysteria. It's your option to go to dalymount. It will pain me not to go as I usually go to all games but, like I said, it's a step too far.

KOH

mypost
17/02/2005, 3:51 AM
I, too was on that boycott and the result was the kilcoynes left, that's what changed.

The present board are killing the club. It's your option to go to dalymount. It will pain me not to go as I usually go to all games but, like I said, it's a step too far.

KOH

Sure, the Kilcoyne's left, not directly because of the boycott, but in the close season. However, we never got back to Milltown. And so began a downward spiral of events that leaves the club where it is now.

I see why you and other fans want to stay away from home games. I agree that Maguire and the board, are inept, incompetent, liars and crooks, but the fans have to go for the team's sake. Otherwise anarchy takes over.

If you refuse to go to home games, the club loses income. The players don't get paid. The players go on strike. Going on strike means not playing games. That means points are deducted. If it continues, we're relegated. Which means further loss of sponsorship/revenue, which eventually leads on the continuing downward slope to a winding-up order, which leads to extinction. We, the Rovers fans, cannot allow that to happen at any cost.

The most effective form of protest, is to hold organised peaceful protests before, during, and/or after every home game until the board get the message, and let people who know what they're doing, take over and run the club properly. Refusing to go in our darkest hour, changes nothing and like I said before, simply not an option.

Fans who refuse to attend home games will be as responsible for the state of the club as the current board.

Passive
17/02/2005, 10:08 AM
If you refuse to go to home games, the club loses income. The players don't get paid. The players go on strike. Going on strike means not playing games. That means points are deducted. If it continues, we're relegated. Which means further loss of sponsorship/revenue, which eventually leads on the continuing downward slope to a winding-up order, which leads to extinction. We, the Rovers fans, cannot allow that to happen at any cost.

If we go to home games we will be holding in place a regime that wants a property speculator to build a one-sided home stadium which Rovers can never own.
If we do not go to home games we will attempting to remove that regime and replace it with an alternative that wants to build a stadium in conjunction with SDCC.
I appreciate your point, but the time has come to remove the blinkers. Ask yourself one question: why are Rovers taking SDCC to court? There is an answer to that question, and it's an answer that no Rovers fan wants to hear.