PDA

View Full Version : Team to face Italy

SÓC
03/02/2005, 2:00 PM
O'Sullivan has picked Murphy at full back and Leamy in the back row for the Italy game.

Delighted that he's decided to take a "risk". Leamy has been doing great stuff for Munster this season and while Dempsey has never let us down the back line we have now would scare anyone, slightly worried that D'arcy could be a bit lightweight at times but looking forward to a good 6N (as long as O'Sullivan doesnt go and do something stupid again like drop Foley:rolleyes: )

Schumi
03/02/2005, 2:04 PM
Surprised Miller's not there, he's been fantastic for Leinster this season.

fosterdollar
03/02/2005, 2:07 PM
Girv the Swerve's been dropped at last - can't have the whole leinster team out there anyway.

exile
03/02/2005, 2:09 PM
as well as leamy has been playing i still think o connor should be playing his fitness is top class and i just feel he not being given the chance

SÓC
03/02/2005, 2:12 PM
as well as leamy has been playing i still think o connor should be playing his fitness is top class and i just feel he not being given the chance

I get the felling the IRFU (at times) want to punish players who they feel should still be at home. Also the whole Gatland connection might be doing him damage

niamh
03/02/2005, 3:50 PM
O'Sullivan said he felt that the Italy game would suit Leamy more than O'Connor. He however add that the Scotland game would be a totally different prospect and that was a decision for another day. I don't think for once second that we won't see O'Connor starting in the Six Nations, unless he gets injured - touch wood.
Miller was chosen ahead of Quinlan on the bench because he can cover three positions, while Murphy has played at fullback when available. Dempsey was included for the Autumn test on the wing because D'Arcy was missing...now what himself and Shane Horgan are fit, Dempsey was gona be the one to lose out.
My two cents for what it's worth...

pete
03/02/2005, 3:58 PM
At long last he picked Murphy at fullback as Dempsey way too predictable & almost always klicks the ball back as IMO he afriad to run the back from fullback position.

Leamy/O'Connor probably a tight decision but domestic players will always get priority as they are more accessable to the IRFU.

To have any chance in the 6 Nations Ireland will have to pray no injuries to Stringer, Hayes & to a lesser extent O'Gara as feck all cover in those positions.

niamh
03/02/2005, 4:04 PM
Well Easterby and Humphreys could cover for Stringer and O'Gara but there's a reason John Hayes is reaching his 50th cap on Sunday in just four years of international rugby....

exile
03/02/2005, 4:43 PM
Well Easterby and Humphreys could cover for Stringer and O'Gara but there's a reason John Hayes is reaching his 50th cap on Sunday in just four years of international rugby....

taking an interest in your work lately :p :p

SÓC
03/02/2005, 6:10 PM
Well Easterby...could cover for Stringer

Easterby could cover for stringer like Robbie Savage could cover for Zidane

pete
03/02/2005, 8:07 PM
taking an interest in your work lately :p :p

Brain washed by the rugger blazers ;)

btw Humpheys is well past his best at international level & least said about Esterby the better. Ireland would zero chance of winners a Cup (that has a trophy) with those two.

finlma
03/02/2005, 8:10 PM
Campbell is a much better option as cover for Stringer. He'll make the scrum-half position his own in the next season or two. Stringers ball distribution is too slow and he rarely makes a break.

pete
03/02/2005, 8:14 PM
Stringers ball distribution is too slow...

Thats his big strength. :confused: His break not great & kicking is poor.

Lack of competition at scrumhalf has probably at times made him play badly.

exile
03/02/2005, 8:45 PM
im not sure there is any scrum half in the country thats good enough to take his place

finlma
03/02/2005, 8:50 PM
im not sure there is any scrum half in the country thats good enough to take his place

Campbell of Ulster is more than capable of stepping up to international rugby and I think he will be a better player than Stringer.

niamh
04/02/2005, 11:31 AM
My point was that cover exists for both Stringer and O'Gara but if Hayes was injured it was a huge problem.
Exile & Pete, I always liked the auld egg chasing I just happen to think about it day in day out now, esp. at the minute.

exile
04/02/2005, 12:10 PM
My point was that cover exists for both Stringer and O'Gara but if Hayes was injured it was a huge problem.
Exile & Pete, I always liked the auld egg chasing I just happen to think about it day in day out now, esp. at the minute.

mild rebuke taken and an apology is in the post :p

SÓC
04/02/2005, 12:31 PM

Niamh I understand some of your pain. I've been through some of the same:D

Nobody can live in South Dublin and Cardiff without getting rugby from every corner, eventually you give in and actually enjoy the old egg chasing:D

James
04/02/2005, 1:15 PM
bah stupid egg chasing
what a pointless thread :)

gooo oooooonn rooonan
greeeaaaaat play chap

$Leon$
04/02/2005, 2:01 PM
hope everyone is playin the fantasy six nations
see thread

pete
04/02/2005, 2:01 PM
Nobody can live in South Dublin and Cardiff without getting rugby from every corner, eventually you give in and actually enjoy the old egg chasing:D

Hench my original point ;)

I think living in south dublin would turn people off rugby as opposed to heartlands like Wales or Limerick.

$Leon$
04/02/2005, 2:04 PM
Hench my original point ;)

I think living in south dublin would turn people off rugby as opposed to heartlands like Wales or Limerick.

the stereotype ross o carrol-kellys exist
i see them every day

niamh
04/02/2005, 2:34 PM
Niamh I understand some of your pain. I've been through some of the same:D

Was there was Engerland were winning de auld Web Ellis trophy and my housemates were as inconsolable as me...
But it was always more a Swansea & north Dublin thing for me!! ;)
which I know is a contradiction really...