PDA

View Full Version : International Football and World Club Football forums

DeLorean
11/10/2016, 8:50 PM
Any chance of this being accommodated or even discussed again?

While changes are being made can I suggest something.

In the International section we have an Ireland Forum and a World Cup Forum. Could the World Cup one be renamed "Other Countries" or something.

For obvious reasons the forum doesn't seem to do much business outside World Cup years but it could easily become a home for conversations about the likes of the Copa America or for the usual Irish fascination with England.

dahamsta
14/10/2016, 9:33 AM
Done. I'm not mad about the title though.<br><br>I've also moved Archived Match Threads under Ireland, and rearranged both International and Other.

DeLorean
14/10/2016, 10:15 AM
Thanks. Which title are you not mad about?

I thought the idea was to rename the 'World Cup' forum, not create a new one, and just use that for all the non-Ireland international stuff. I was thinking it could could be renamed 'Other International Football' or something to that effect, just to differentiate it from the Ireland and club stuff.

I think 'World Club Football' might be clearer than 'World League Football' also... but could use some input from some of the others though. I'll pm the few who were involved in the suggestions just in case they haven't spotted this thread.

Fully agree with moving the archived match threads into the Ireland folder for what it's worth.

pineapple stu
14/10/2016, 10:51 AM
Maybe rename "World Cup" as "International Football", "Other Countries" as "Club Football" and then the Ireland stuff is perfect as is?

Just my tuppence anyway!

pineapple stu
14/10/2016, 4:37 PM
Actually, I see there's a "World League Football" as well; I'd missed that.

So I'd suggest -

IRELAND
Ireland (with sub-forums - Fans' Forum; Archived Match Threads)

OTHER FOOTBALL
Football Feeds
Football History
Women's Football
Club Football
International Football

OTHER STUFF
Other Sports
Current Affairs
Entertainment
Marketplace
Off topic

Move the A Championship up to CLUBS, on the same level as Premier Division, First Division and Other Clubs. Delete Other Countries (no posts anyway). Maybe dump the Euro 2008 Predictions League threads into International Football as it's a dead forum anyway. And move Other Sports out of OTHER FOOTBALL and into OTHER STUFF.

Maybe?

DeLorean
14/10/2016, 8:45 PM
IRELAND
Ireland (with sub-forums - Fans' Forum; Archived Match Threads)

This forum is actually titled 'International' though, not Ireland, if you know what I mean. That's why I think the renamed World Cup thread should remain in here.

Move the A Championship up to CLUBS, on the same level as Premier Division, First Division and Other Clubs.

Should it not be moved to 'Leagues' as opposed to 'Clubs'?

Delete Other Countries (no posts anyway). Maybe dump the Euro 2008 Predictions League threads into International Football as it's a dead forum anyway. And move Other Sports out of OTHER FOOTBALL and into OTHER STUFF.

Agree with all of that.

pineapple stu
15/10/2016, 8:38 AM
This forum is actually titled 'International' though, not Ireland, if you know what I mean. That's why I think the renamed World Cup thread should remain in here.
I'd change it to "Ireland" though. Cos one of the main topics on foot.ie is the national team. Then keep all other football together.

Should it not be moved to 'Leagues' as opposed to 'Clubs'?
Makes more sense actually, yep.

DeLorean
15/10/2016, 9:06 AM
I'd change it to "Ireland" though. Cos one of the main topics on foot.ie is the national team. Then keep all other football together.

Sounds good assuming it can be done. Mr. Pedantic out in force now but I'd be inclined to call the section and forum 'Republic of Ireland' instead of just Ireland too. Would have more of an international soccer look to it. Just throwing it out there. :o

pineapple stu
15/10/2016, 9:22 AM
Can put it to a vote I guess - though I'd stick with "Ireland" as nobody actually calls the team "Republic of Ireland". (Except maybe Gather Round)

DeLorean
15/10/2016, 10:35 AM
It's usually Republic of Ireland in print I think, media print at least or anything official, bar our crest strangely enough. Obviously it's not really practical to call them that in every day conversation. Just 'Ireland' has a rugby look to it I think but this is way down my list of potential changes. :)

tetsujin1979
15/10/2016, 10:42 AM
my two cents worth is that "Ireland" could refer to the international side, or the league. Republic of Ireland refers exclusively to the international side

DeLorean
16/10/2016, 4:02 PM
Can put it to a vote I guess

The results are in: Republic of Ireland 2-1 Ireland :D

OwlsFan
17/10/2016, 10:17 AM
Where are all the old threads gone :( ?

DeLorean
17/10/2016, 11:07 AM
They're in 'World League Football'.

DeLorean
17/10/2016, 11:23 AM
So, in summary, this is what's proposed if dahamsta & the rest are agreeable? This is basically how the forum home page would appear:

Leagues
-Premier & First Divisions
-A Championship (*move from Other Football*)
-Irish League
-Underage Leagues
-Intermediate Leagues
-Junior League
-Schoolboys

Clubs
-Premier Division
-First Division
-Other Clubs

Ireland (or Republic of Ireland) International Team (*instead of the current 'International' title*)
-Ireland (or Republic of Ireland)

Other Football
-Football Feeds
-Football History
-Women's Football
-Club Football (*renamed from World League Football*)
-International Football (*renamed and moved World Cup forum*)

Other Stuff
-Other Sports (*move from Other Football*)
-Current Affairs
-Entertainment
-Marketplace
-Off Topic

I think Stu's suggestions would make it much neater and make more sense overall, but if it's too much hassle maybe we can just fix the international and club football forums. Maybe there could be some complications in terms of the forums to which the moderators are currently assigned too, I don't know.

BonnieShels
19/10/2016, 2:31 PM
I missed this. Dang. Love the moves DeL. And all for calling the team "Ireland" tbh. Can't stand references to the "Republic". I know the why I just don't like or want the why.

DeLorean
19/10/2016, 4:53 PM
Oh yeah I'd never refer to them as the Republic either, just think it gives it a more official look and international football feel. Probably better off leaving well enough alone though if there's some resistance. Credit PS and backstothewall for the suggestions, I'm just the guy plaguing dahamsta :)

BonnieShels
19/10/2016, 6:17 PM
Oh yeah I'd never refer to them as the Republic either, just think it gives it a more official look and international football feel. Probably better off leaving well enough alone though if there's some resistance. Credit PS and backstothewall for the suggestions, I'm just the guy plaguing dahamsta :)

Who??

DeLorean
19/10/2016, 7:47 PM
You know... the Walsall fella

BonnieShels
19/10/2016, 11:27 PM
You know... the Walsall fella

Ah yes. Whatever happened that fella?

backstothewall
22/10/2016, 9:55 PM
Never heard of him. He must have been before my time.

I like Pinapple Stus suggested structure. My first instinct was to vote for Ireland over ROI. Given the number of us nordies in the side I see us a de facto all island side these days.

Then i had a radical thought...

When i thought a bit more on it i wondered if there might be something in having a NI forum. There are a few NI fans using the site already, and there aren't a lot of alternatives out there for sensible NI football fans beyond the toxic den of vipers that is OWC. It might be way to expand the offering but it would pretty much force us down the road of calling our forum ROI .

I am aware that this idea might be crazy.

DeLorean
17/11/2016, 1:40 PM
This should maybe be moved to the "Other Countries" forum?

Anyways, the US in trouble after two games in the Hex - a 4-0 away defeat to Costa Rica last night leaves them bottom of the group with no points.

They can stew on that for the next four months; next up is Honduras at home and then Panama away; Mexico drew 0-0 in Panama last night, so that's not an easy game at all.

The Other Countries forum is a strange idea and the name change from World Football to World league football is a poor concept.

Most all discussion we have had about other countries, fitted easily inside the old World Football forum threads dedicated to Euro qual/WC qual/ Euro finals and WC finals.

The World leagues forum is now supposed to hold most all the discussion that fell under the old World Football forum.

World Football was a forum for general discussion about many issues which have little to do with what is understood by the term World League football . The WC,WCQ,Euros, Euro qual,CL and EL are not world leagues per se, they are world football competitions. Football Books/ Fifa discussion are also not a World league football issue they are a World Football issue.

The World Football forum functioned, it was easy to find, easy to navigate the threads and easily accommodated the current activity from members. Not only does the name change not fit but also adds confusion. Simply change the name back to World Football and so be it if you want to have a forum dedicated to just World league football, however, I'd say the current usage does not justify that action, would not make navigation any easier and most probably will not add more activity.

Just a little update on what's being discussed elsewhere. I think we either need to go with the proposals fully or backtrack. It's kind of in limbo at the moment and isn't really fully functional as the initial suggestions had intended.