PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk V Cork City | Oriel Park | Tues 11 Oct | KO 7.05pm

Pages : [1] 2

Ezeikial
10/10/2016, 5:30 PM
KENNY CALLS ON SUPPORT TO INSPIRE AGAIN

Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny has praised the supporters of Dundalk FC ahead of the clash with Cork City on Tuesday night. Speaking to dundalkfc.com ahead of the encounter Kenny said the players appreciated the support they received after the defeat on Saturday evening and it was a first for him in his management career.

“The Dundalk supporters showed their true colours the other night cheering the team off after the 3-0 defeat to Sligo Rovers. I think that’s the first time it has ever happened to me during my career – being applauded off after a 3-0 defeat!
“All the players appreciated that and seen the true value of real support. The supporters can inspire the team to victory. The fans can bring us to a famous victory tomorrow night”

The boss feels that Cork City are coming to Dundalk with expectation however he feels that his group of players have capability of digging deep again to get the result they need like they have done in the past three seasons.

“Cork City are playing well and they come to Oriel Park in expectation but this group of players, every question that has been asked of them they have answered. They have shown immense character on a consistent basis and we will need to show that again tomorrow night.

“There has been many a question asked of them and they have had to dig deep – no more so than this season with the league FAI Cup and Europa League and the demands that it brings. Psychologically, mentally and physically to keep the domestic run going.

The Dublin native admitted that they are fantastic occasions to be a part of and wants the supporters to inspire the Lilywhites to what would be a ‘famous victory’ at Oriel Park on Tuesday night.

“These are great occasions to be a part of. They are great matches for everyone. Our supporters can inspire us here at Oriel Park. They have inspired us so many times before.

“Our supporters can inspire us. We want them to get there early and lift Oriel Park and lift the players to a famous win to inspire them to a famous victory!”

http://www.dundalkfc.com/kenny-calls-support-inspire/

Mr A
10/10/2016, 6:10 PM
Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny has praised the supporters of Dundalk FC ahead of the clash with Cork City on Tuesday night. Speaking to dundalkfc.com ahead of the encounter Kenny said the players appreciated the support they received after the defeat on Saturday evening and it was a first for him in his management career.

“The Dundalk supporters showed their true colours the other night cheering the team off after the 3-0 defeat to Sligo Rovers. I think that’s the first time it has ever happened to me during my career – being applauded off after a 3-0 defeat!
“All the players appreciated that and seen the true value of real support. The supporters can inspire the team to victory. The fans can bring us to a famous victory tomorrow night”

The boss feels that Cork City are coming to Dundalk with expectation however he feels that his group of players have capability of digging deep again to get the result they need like they have done in the past three seasons.

“Cork City are playing well and they come to Oriel Park in expectation but this group of players, every question that has been asked of them they have answered. They have shown immense character on a consistent basis and we will need to show that again tomorrow night.

“There has been many a question asked of them and they have had to dig deep – no more so than this season with the league FAI Cup and Europa League and the demands that it brings. Psychologically, mentally and physically to keep the domestic run going.

The Dublin native admitted that they are fantastic occasions to be a part of and wants the supporters to inspire the Lilywhites to what would be a ‘famous victory’ at Oriel Park on Tuesday night.

“These are great occasions to be a part of. They are great matches for everyone. Our supporters can inspire us here at Oriel Park. They have inspired us so many times before.

“Our supporters can inspire us. We want them to get there early and lift Oriel Park and lift the players to a famous win to inspire them to a famous victory!”

With all the money Dundalk are making these days you would think someone would buy that man a thesaurus.

patrickccfc
10/10/2016, 8:14 PM
Really looking forward to watching this game. Unfortunately can't make it there myself.. I expect dundalk to improve from that surprise result the other night. The way we are scoring for fun lately, I don't invisage us sitting back. Let's hope it will as good as we all think it will be, and of course 3 points for us

EatYerGreens
10/10/2016, 9:01 PM
This is a huge game - really looking forward to it.

Hopefully it'll draw a big crowd, both to Oriel and on TV.

Have RTE been doing much to promote it ? Any trailer doing the rounds ?

nigel-harps1954
10/10/2016, 9:47 PM
This is a huge game - really looking forward to it.

Hopefully it'll draw a big crowd, both to Oriel and on TV.

Have RTE been doing much to promote it ? Any trailer doing the rounds ?

There has been a bit of a trailer alright. In fairness, they were pushing it a bit during the international coverage.

BonnieShels
11/10/2016, 12:35 AM
Dying for this! Hon the Town!

Ezeikial
11/10/2016, 7:55 AM
RTE seem to have started a victory parade for Cork already

Momentum with Cork ahead of title showdown
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1010/822975-cork-can-take-massive-steps-towards-the-title/

Mr A
11/10/2016, 8:01 AM
I don't often listen to the radio but was doing the school run this morning and there was certainly a buzz about this game on Newstalk. Surprisingly they also talked about how big a game Harps-Pats is which I really wasn't expecting!

jinxy lilywhite
11/10/2016, 8:23 AM
Aye I heard the same review. Newstalk could of offered a bit more of a balance. All Joe gamble would say is that Cork will win.

Hitman
11/10/2016, 8:31 AM
KENNY CALLS ON SUPPORT TO INSPIRE AGAIN
“The Dundalk supporters showed their true colours the other night cheering the team off after the 3-0 defeat to Sligo Rovers. I think that’s the first time it has ever happened to me during my career – being applauded off after a 3-0 defeat!"

I think they deserve extra credit for making it up from Market's Field, they must have missed out on the trophy presentation to make it up on time.

El-Pietro
11/10/2016, 9:07 AM

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1010/822975-cork-can-take-massive-steps-towards-the-title/
I don't think there's anything wrong with that article. Form and momentum are on our side and we have gotten the best of Dundalk this season. That means nothing if we lose tonight of course.
If either team wins I think that's the title. A draw leaves it in Dundalk's favour though I think their run in is more difficult and playing four games in nine days will be a tough way to end the season.

I'm on the way up already. Few pints in Dublin before getting the train to Dundalk later this evening. Buzzing for this game!

Duffman
11/10/2016, 9:14 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with that article. Form and momentum are on our side and we have gotten the best of Dundalk this season. That means nothing if we lose tonight of course.
If either team wins I think that's the title. A draw leaves it in Dundalk's favour though I think their run in is more difficult and playing four games in nine days will be a tough way to end the season.

I'm on the way up already. Few pints in Dublin before getting the train to Dundalk later this evening. Buzzing for this game!

You weren't taking JCs advice of staying at home and watching it on TV then! Thought that was a strange comment to make in his RedFm interview.
My hope is that they water the hell out of the pitch, thought it was dry and worked against us in the Derry semi and even against Sligo it wasn't as slick as it should have been. Doing a rain dance here at the minute.

dundalkfc10
11/10/2016, 9:34 AM
Stand Sold out ahead of the game tonight.

Should be a massive crowd, despite the 7pm kick off and RTE showing it

El-Pietro
11/10/2016, 9:42 AM

You weren't taking JCs advice of staying at home and watching it on TV then! Thought that was a strange comment to make in his RedFm interview.
My hope is that they water the hell out of the pitch, thought it was dry and worked against us in the Derry semi and even against Sligo it wasn't as slick as it should have been. Doing a rain dance here at the minute.

I'd never miss a game of this magnitude. I don't pay too much attention to what I says to the media, what his team does on the pitch tells me all I need to know.
Odd statement if he did say that though.
Clouds are dark in Tipperary right now anyway

Nesta99
11/10/2016, 9:46 AM

Strange it is and is a contender for oddest comment made by a manager this season and thats some feat with Kenny Shieils on the go at least once a week! Did he give a rationale? Surely he would plenty of Cork support during the biggest league game so far this season!!

joey B
11/10/2016, 10:34 AM
If Cork win tonight they'll win the league I feel,they've ourselves and Wexford at home which you'd imagine they'll win comfortably,and they've Pats and Bray who are basically on wind down till the end of the season ,a draw wouldn't be the worst result either but should be an intriguing encounter !!

Candystripe
11/10/2016, 10:58 AM
Looking forward to this tonight. I fancy Cork to win tonight and go on and win the league.

I thought Dundalk were very tired looking against us last Tuesday in the replay and got lucky.

Momentum is with Cork I feel.

Should be a cracker though.

dundalkfc10
11/10/2016, 11:04 AM
Less than 200 tickets left in Oriel according to the lady in the office. Expected to be sold out by 2/3 o clock.

Great to see

Acornvilla
11/10/2016, 11:21 AM
Reckon Dundalk might edge it. They've had the advantage in all of the 'must win' games in the past, and have done exceptionally well in the big matches in Europe, Caulfield has bottled it a lot in the past, although this season certainly less so, Cork lead the H2H this season as well, the addition of a proper goalscorer in Maguire has made a big difference too. I reckon a draw or Cork win, and the title is going south, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dundalk manage to win it, I still reckon they have the edge in the dugout and mentally.

Although I'm a neutral, there's always going to be a bit of an auld grá for Vinnie Perth and King Kenny, but I also have a few good City friends, for the good of the league I reckon a Cork win is better, to keep things competitive and stop Dundalk running away from the pack, but equally, it'd be nice to see Dundalk seeded in the CL next season and keep things rolling. I think if I was a fan of either side, I'd die even before ko with the anxiety of it all.

El-Pietro
11/10/2016, 11:40 AM
Kind of getting used to these deciders over the past couple of seasons. I feel much more relaxed about this year's one then in the past though. Partly because it's not quite the end yet but also I think we're a better side with much less to prove. I'll probably b in knots closer to kick off

Nesta99
11/10/2016, 12:16 PM
Reckon Dundalk might edge it. They've had the advantage in all of the 'must win' games in the past, and have done exceptionally well in the big matches in Europe, Caulfield has bottled it a lot in the past, although this season certainly less so, Cork lead the H2H this season as well, the addition of a proper goalscorer in Maguire has made a big difference too. I reckon a draw or Cork win, and the title is going south, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dundalk manage to win it, I still reckon they have the edge in the dugout and mentally.

Tough one to call then?!

patrickccfc
11/10/2016, 12:26 PM
Tough one to call then?!

I reckon he means he fancies dundalk to win, but that a draw or a city win would see the title going south. And that he wouldn't be surprised if dundalk won the league.

That's what I got from it anyway.

rebel
11/10/2016, 12:41 PM
If Dundalk win tonight then I think they will almost certainly win the league. It would mean for us to win it they would have to drop points in two games and we would have to win all our remaining games (that's not going to happen). Even if we win I still wouldn't rule Dundalk out of it. We would only be two points ahead with five games left and we will almost certainly drop points in those games. A draw and and Dundalk are still strong favourites.

oriel
11/10/2016, 12:49 PM

A few pints El P, you're getting giddy already. Avoid the 1721 train out of Connolly, the 1650 Belfast enterprise is your man, first stop Dlk around 1745. Get yourself a few cans in the bar in Connolly and head straight for the 'buffet carriage'

I'm going for a 1-0 or 2-1 win for us.

EatYerGreens
11/10/2016, 1:27 PM
Less than 200 tickets left in Oriel according to the lady in the office. Expected to be sold out by 2/3 o clock.

Great to see

What attendance would that be then ?

BonnieShels
11/10/2016, 4:18 PM
I thought it was 8pm KO and now I'm getting stuck in college!!! GAH!

Philosophizer
11/10/2016, 4:36 PM

I'm guessing that's just 200 seat tickets left? Surely they'll be able to let in a thousand or so extra for standing and still be within safety regulations. didn't they have around 5k there for the game 2 seasons ago when they won the league?

Yossarian
11/10/2016, 5:25 PM
Gary Rogers pays the price for his howler the other night.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
11/10/2016, 5:28 PM
Gary Rogers pays the price for his howler the other night.

And the one against Shams, and the one against Alkmaar......

BonnieShels
11/10/2016, 6:03 PM
Happy to hear Sava is starting

BonnieShels
11/10/2016, 6:14 PM
Get in!!!

patrickccfc
11/10/2016, 6:56 PM
We were shocking in that first half. Played it on the ground at times but far too many long balls. Maguire hasn't been in the game because every ball up to him he can't do anything with. Very frustrating to watch as we are capable of so much better. Don't hold too much hope for the second half.

BonnieShels
11/10/2016, 7:24 PM
Good start to the second for ye. Dundalk need to settle it down a bit now though.

patrickccfc
11/10/2016, 7:34 PM
Good to get the goal back. Bolger and Buckley skating on thin ice here both a foul away from being sent off.

patrickccfc
11/10/2016, 8:03 PM
Extremely disappointed with that. Just didn't happen for us tonight. Not over but that is a massive blow that I'm not sure we can come back from.

jinxy lilywhite
11/10/2016, 8:10 PM
Best of luck to Cork in the pro 12 next year. Best team won by a mile

Lim till i die
11/10/2016, 8:47 PM
Surely Long Ballfield will be gone if cork don't win the league.

Lot of money being spent on consistent failure.

The tactic going up was a tried and tested one - langer the ball at the quick fella.

But when the best keeper in the league* (*so say cork fans and his mammy) leaves in two like that you're fighting a losing battle.

The tactical masterstroke in the second half - langer the ball at the hefty fella, looked like it might pay dividends but ultimately football was the winner.

Surely the fai can do better than Tomas Connolly for big games aswell. Weak with a capital Weak.

ToberonaTornado
11/10/2016, 8:51 PM
Great win for us Especially after Saturdays debacle v Sligo,Horg's 2nd goal(not a bad effort for the og either :) ) was just sublime.Sava done well,Keane was brilliant.
Tom Connolly was bloody brutal! Must be a mate of Bolgers!!?

White Horse
11/10/2016, 8:51 PM
That was a great performance by Dundalk after the disappointment of the heavy defeat to Sligo.

I thought Cork played well but were let down by Caulfield's insistence on playing the ball long at every opportunity. I was just behind him in the stand and he kept roaring at the players to pump the ball long. It played into Gatland and Boyle hands.

By the way, what about Alan Keane. that was a performance and a half by a player who was finished last season.

Jofspring
11/10/2016, 9:28 PM
I couldn't get over the size of Browne. You had Gartland, Boyle and Barrett for Dundalk, three fit, well built centre halves and on the other side a completely over weight centre half. Now I ain't saying Browne is a bad player but that just shows the difference for me.

Cork have some very good players and could offer a lot more footballing wise.

Real ale Madrid
11/10/2016, 9:39 PM
It's the hope that kills you.

Hopefully it's not over yet.

White Horse
11/10/2016, 10:09 PM

It's advantage to Dundalk but it is not over.

jinxy lilywhite
11/10/2016, 10:11 PM
It's the hope that kills you.

It's far from over. 4 points is easily catchable with 5 to go.
One game at a time is all we can do.

On the game I am delighted we put in a performance like that. We were well written off pre match and cork were lauded up with thrashing a poor galway,longford and rovers.
How was greg bolger and holohan not sent off? We seriously had to beat 12 men out there.

Really don't understand where Caulfield got that we intimidate officials. Connolly must be on corks payroll

I expect cork to get 15 from their 5 games. They have no one really to play and they'll all roll over for them. Next up is the ogres and an injury list that's getting longer after each passing game. I wonder if we can play 11 for the last game but thats a long way off

nigel-harps1954
11/10/2016, 10:23 PM
Don't worry, Finn Harps will put you all out of your misery next season and win the league.

sullanefc
11/10/2016, 10:46 PM
Best of luck to Cork in the pro 12 next year. Best team won by a mile

And best of luck to Dundalk in Swan Lake. Rehearsals going well by the looks of things tonight.

ciaraa
11/10/2016, 10:50 PM
And best of luck to Dundalk in Swan Lake. Rehearsals going well by the looks of things tonight.

Some of it was cringe alright.

swinfordfc
12/10/2016, 7:50 AM
Best team won last night and they are the best team this year! .... the rest of this month is crazy for them though!

rebel
12/10/2016, 8:12 AM
Even if we win the Cup I think Caulfield should be sacked. I accept that he is trying to win the league against the best ever LOI team (hat's off to them) but this season he had a golden opportunity with the extra games Dundalk have in Europe and he couldn't take advantage. Last season and the season before I wasn't too disappointed to finish behind them as they had the same amount of games as us and with a level playing field Dundalk will always finish ahead of us.
We should be four points clear at the top, not four points behind. We didn't lose the league tonight, we lost it in the three games against Sligo, Bohs and Derry where we only took two points (Dundalk lost two games in a row during that run).
Caulfield doesn't have the tactical ability to change things when we run out of ideas. His only solution is to throw on Marky Sull and hit it long (he did that again last night). If FORAS keep him on they are basically saying they are happy to finish second and say "we gave it a go" rather than actually win things. It'll be even harder next year as Dundalk will have spent their UEFA booty to improve the squad (good luck to them, we'd do the same if we could).

El-Pietro
12/10/2016, 9:03 AM
Best team won. Ref was atrocious. Doesn't matter, Dundalk deserved their points.

oriel
12/10/2016, 10:40 AM
Big win for Dundalk, and big changes too with Sava and Keane coming in, both were excellent. Huge call on dropping Rogers but his confidence must have been low and the mistakes were becoming too regular.

This has been a notable feature on Dundalk's last few seasons that players can come into the side and settle in very quickly. This is also the case when making changes, Shields for example would consider himself very unlucky to be left out, yet came on for the last half hour and gave a tremendous display.

Thought we definitely deserved to win and apart from a short spell in the first half we were better and quicker in MF, the trio of Finn, O'Donnell and McEleney worked very well. Horgan as he said himself after on tv had better games but two brilliant goals. Great work by McEleney and McMillan pulling the defence wide for Horgan to sprint through the middle and finish.

I think Dooley was Cork's best player and yet again i was surprised to see O'Sulliavan not start, he always causes us problems, Gartland was excellent against Maguire and he needed to be. Cork are a big strong side and overall it was a very tough match for us, no doubt about that.

It's definitely not over, still going to be a big ask for us to win all of the remaining games, I suppose we only have one additional match on Cork, but its v Zenit, so one game at a time stuff, but we're definitely in the driving seat.

We should see it through now, but just like the events last Sat night, things can change very quickly.