PDA

View Full Version : Linfield Help the GAA

eoinh
03/02/2005, 10:57 AM
Cant imagine it happening in reverse though.

See here (http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=20274&pt=s)

Macy
03/02/2005, 11:14 AM
shhhhh don't tell those on here that don't follow Irish domestic football, but still have to rant away about Linfield/ Windsor....

Kingdom
03/02/2005, 11:22 AM
I can't say I know an awful lot about the Irish league but I have seen and heard a fair bit of David Jeffery and have to be honest but I liked what I'd heard.

eoinh
03/02/2005, 11:30 AM
Surely it should say 'by existing.......'

:confused:

Groningen.

Macy
03/02/2005, 12:22 PM
To my mind, this just proves that the GAA are the biggest bigots in sport on this island.

gypsyfella
03/02/2005, 1:45 PM
To my mind, this just proves that the GAA are the biggest bigots in sport on this island.

haha.. well thats just shown you up!

learn the meaning of the word bigot mo chara.... :rolleyes:

eoinh
03/02/2005, 1:57 PM
haha.. well thats just shown you up!

learn the meaning of the word bigot mo chara.... :rolleyes:

Galway Utd: Help your neighbours out please

GAA Man: **** Off

Groningen

Clones Road Cas
03/02/2005, 2:30 PM
Not even slightly surprised. monaghan have played a number of pre season matches at Windsor and it is probably the nicest group of people i have met in football. The hospitality tthat they extended to us as a team and group of fans would put most el clubs including our own to shame.

As for the GAA bigots remark it may be hard to swallow for some, but we are all judged by our actions.

CRC

gypsyfella
03/02/2005, 2:35 PM
Not even slightly surprised. monaghan have played a number of pre season matches at Windsor and it is probably the nicest group of people i have met in football. The hospitality tthat they extended to us as a team and group of fans would put most el clubs including our own to shame.

As for the GAA bigots remark it may be hard to swallow for some, but we are all judged by our actions.

CRC
ah yeah sure the linfield 'bigots' thing is just a misnomer - theyre really lovely people arent they :rolleyes:....

im happy with this move, i think it should be the norm, but i dont like massive brushes tarring the best association this country has ever had...

people really need to look at how they use word IMO... telling GUFC to f off is bigoted???? idiot.

dougdub
03/02/2005, 3:00 PM
Great to see sport win out in the end ! GAA take note !

gspain
03/02/2005, 3:32 PM

Or any other island or planet too. :D

gspain
03/02/2005, 3:35 PM
Although Linfield deserve credit for this it is hardly a surprise - any football club would help out another sports organisation with access to facilities provided it didn't impinge on their own games. Not that rugby etc are any different.

In fact I can only think of one "sports" organisation that wouldn't.

now Linfield should request use of Casement Park for their Setanta Cup games.... :D :D

eoinh
03/02/2005, 3:39 PM
You like my favourite Dutch side?Play in Celtic colours,gave me a conducted tour & free t-shirt(Sorry,it's off-topic ,but no-more so than the post above! :rolleyes:)

I thought it was Blue and white Hoops they played in? :confused:

paudie
03/02/2005, 4:29 PM

That's a sweeping generalisation to say the least.

The vast majority of GAA supporters and members aren't bigoted at all. Some of the offeeshals do seem to think that being involved with the GAA means that you are "more Irish" than someone involved with say soccer or rugby but this is only a small minority.

Clones Road Cas
03/02/2005, 5:48 PM
ah yeah sure the linfield 'bigots' thing is just a misnomer - theyre really lovely people arent they :rolleyes:....

im happy with this move, i think it should be the norm, but i dont like massive brushes tarring the best association this country has ever had...

people really need to look at how they use word IMO... telling GUFC to f off is bigoted???? idiot.

I didnt say **** off to anyone. Id didnt associate myself with that remark. if you ask me most of the people in this country are bigots and racists and have consistently prooved themselves to be so. ANd yes i would include myself in that statement. Are the GAA bigoted, well you can argue that if you want. However if you dont like that word we could use sectarian.

CRC

deadman
03/02/2005, 10:11 PM
met David Jeffrey last year in Windsor to do an interview for a college project. i was hugely impressed. a real forward-thinking guy, on all fronts ... not personally familiar with any of the other windsor park crowd but Jeffrey is a gent

lopez
04/02/2005, 12:51 AM
You like my favourite Dutch side?Play in Celtic colours,gave me a conducted tour & free t-shirt(Sorry,it's off-topic ,but no-more so than the post above! :rolleyes:)I think he's talking about the time that Galway had to f*ck off out to Connemara to play Groningen in the eighties. Could be wrong but it's not the sort of thing discussed at Park-heeeeed, or in the SPL, so you're forgiven for your ignorance. ;)

Clones Road Cas
04/02/2005, 1:19 PM
Hmm........

you'll get a splinter on your ass if you sit on that fence ;)

Lionel Ritchie
04/02/2005, 3:33 PM
White,with Green & black trim.....Away top was mainly green......kit may have totally changed,but seemed a tradition,as stadium painted in the same scheme.

fcuk Groningen!!!

There's only one Cambuur Leeuwarden!!!
Cmon the mighty Cambuur!!! :D

Though in truth -most frieslanders -Leeuwarders or Groningers consider Herenveen to be their "national" team.

:cool:

eoinh
04/02/2005, 3:41 PM
Actually for a change this season the Dutch championship might be won by a Non big three team. AZ '67 have been up there all season. It certainly looks like they will get a champions league place.

PS - Can anyone name the LOI player who played (and successful) for Groningen quite recently (well in the last 15 years or so)?

Lionel Ritchie
04/02/2005, 4:59 PM
not John Byrne is it?

eoinh
04/02/2005, 5:06 PM
not John Byrne is it?

no......

Plastic man
06/02/2005, 1:40 PM
Surely it should say 'by existing.......'

Fair play to David Jeffrey(Linfield manager)(& the GAA ghirls for asking!)..... :rolleyes: doubt Glumfield's H*n constituency would approve,mind :p

Linfield don't have a board of directors, but a committee who are voted in by the supporters and removed by the supporters also at the agm at the end of each season if need be!
The Linfield support don't mind, we like to help our neighbours when they are in need, can the GAA claim to help anyone but themselves!

eoinh
06/02/2005, 4:52 PM

I can remember what was said by the GAA about Galway UTD and football people in general at the time ....... maybe you dont.

Sorry maybe that should be the GAA suits, as it was a Connemara club whos ground was not owned by the GAA who rescued UTD at the time.

The sight of the Groningen bus pulling in among stone lined walls was surreal.

lopez
06/02/2005, 6:32 PM
Linfield don't have a board of directors, but a committee who are voted in by the supporters and removed by the supporters also at the agm at the end of each season if need be!
The Linfield support don't mind, we like to help our neighbours when they are in need, can the GAA claim to help anyone but themselves!Exactly f*ck all. This is the problem I have with the Grab All Association - or rather the people who run it, because a straight democratic vote amongst the members would remove the rule banning 'foreign' games being played on their grounds. In Britain for years whenever they wanted a ground on any level of the game it was provided (for a fee obviously). Wembley, Brentford, etc. down to the tory run council park behind where I grew up. They asked for it and they got it. It would serve them right if they were in future told to f*ck off. :mad:

Plastic man
06/02/2005, 6:57 PM
What is the exact wording of the GAA rule, would I be right in thinking that the "Special Olympics", American/Aussie Football and boxing have been hosted in the past at GAA grounds!

eoinh
06/02/2005, 7:07 PM
What is the exact wording of the GAA rule, would I be right in thinking that the "Special Olympics", American/Aussie Football and boxing have been hosted in the past at GAA grounds!

It should, as you noted, have stopped all these activities but didnt. To me essentially its an anti-football rule. Although they dont see the irony in going to other countries and playing Gaelige Football and Hurling on Football pitchs.

In essence all foreign games are banned from GAA Grounds.

CollegeTillIDie
06/02/2005, 11:27 PM
This is a welcome development. Maybe thanks to the benign gesture of one of Ireland's Oldest Soccer clubs , it might make a mind set change in the so called grassroots of our so called National games regarding the use of certain GAA facilities by other codes.

Reminds me of a joke.
Ian Paisley has an accident goes into a coma and wakes up in 10 years time.
When he comes to he asks what is the latest news. Ian Junior tells him Linfield beat Cliftonville in the game last night. Ian Senior's face beams with a smile, what was the result he asks.... 2 goal and 9 points to 1 goal and 8 points is the reply :D

gspain
07/02/2005, 9:05 AM
I can remember what was said by the GAA about Galway UTD and football people in general at the time ....... maybe you dont.

Sorry maybe that should be the GAA suits, as it was a Connemara club whos ground was not owned by the GAA who rescued UTD at the time.

The sight of the Groningen bus pulling in among stone lined walls was surreal.

I think the pitch in Connemara was community owned. I was at the game as well - totally surreal.

I don't recall any GAA backlash against the local club in Connemara.

However Galway's next European game was played in Ballindereen. Again a community owned pitch but the lcoal GAA club couldn't have been more helpful. they came under intense pressure from the county board and further afield to cancel the game but they just said the pitch was community owned and out of their hands. the local bigots got their revenge though as they didn't get to host a club championship game for 8 years afterwards.

Macy
07/02/2005, 9:11 AM
To me essentially its an anti-football rule.
It's a sectarian rule, as only what they perceive as protestant games that are banned - i.e. football and rugby.

Although they dont see the irony in going to other countries and playing Gaelige Football and Hurling on Football pitchs.
The GAA wouldn't survive throughout the world but for the rugby, football, cricket etc grounds they use. Christ, even in this country they use rugby and football clubs facilities for training.

lopez
07/02/2005, 10:52 AM
It's a sectarian rule, as only what they perceive as protestant games that are banned - i.e. football and rugby.Essentially it's an anti-British rule. I mean while Boston College and Notre Dame have been welcomed in a game pioneered by Yale and Harvard unis, the same isn't the case with Celtic or Hibernian. Personally its pure bigotry. Previously the seaons never clashed so that the GAA could have made a packet out of soccer. But then who said logic ever overcomes passions such as love and - in this case - hate.

Duncan Gardner
07/02/2005, 12:03 PM
Someone has obviously already pointed out to the GAA how Irish Leftfield are :)

Plastic man
07/02/2005, 12:42 PM
D.O.B thats not very nice ! :cool:

lopez
07/02/2005, 3:28 PM
D.O.B thats not very nice ! :cool:...but totally acceptable it seems if it comes from someone 'of that fine tradition' (in other words a 'Prod') :rolleyes: . Take it you've met Adieu Adair on another footy forum? :D Good to see him and his pal JB coming to some agreement on a subject, this time over whether it would have been better for the 'OSC' if 'IKP' was taken from the world, er, a little earlier (40 years earlier at least), something 'the good senor' would have trouble disagreeing with. Perhaps DG aswell.

Plastic man
08/02/2005, 10:46 AM
...but totally acceptable it seems if it comes from someone 'of that fine tradition' (in other words a 'Prod') :rolleyes: . Take it you've met Adieu Adair on another footy forum? :D Good to see him and his pal JB coming to some agreement on a subject, this time over whether it would have been better for the 'OSC' if 'IKP' was taken from the world, er, a little earlier (40 years earlier at least), something 'the good senor' would have trouble disagreeing with. Perhaps DG aswell.

I haven't got a clue, to what your on about!! :confused:

Troy.McClure
08/02/2005, 11:49 AM
PS - Can anyone name the LOI player who played (and successful) for Groningen quite recently (well in the last 15 years or so)?

Liam Buckley

-lamb-
08/02/2005, 6:29 PM
Try OWB***** .............. http://www.ourweecountry.co.**

if you were any more bitter the lemons would be jealous.

Duncan Gardner
08/02/2005, 7:03 PM
...but totally acceptable it seems if it comes from someone 'of that fine tradition' (in other words a 'Prod') :rolleyes: . Take it you've met Adieu Adair on another footy forum? :D Good to see him and his pal JB coming to some agreement on a subject, this time over whether it would have been better for the 'OSC' if 'IKP' was taken from the world, er, a little earlier (40 years earlier at least), something 'the good senor' would have trouble disagreeing with. Perhaps DG aswell.

Ah yes, that old game. Paisley (like many other individuals in NI) has gone a great deal of damage. But for all his influence he reacted to events as much as shaping them. I'd join with Mrs P and junior in persuading the old bugger to retire, though :(

The sanctimonious finger pointing from yourself, Macy, DG and the other self-appointed guardians against bigotry in Ireland would have me in tears. No, Lopez, tut, tut, tut, you're generalising, bogitted (sic.), chip on shoulder, etc. Wonderful fans these. I think that's where the Ballywestbrit comes in

Bad form this, getting threads closed before I get a chance to reply. Or am I generalising? :)

Plastic man
08/02/2005, 11:43 PM
Bet it really ****es davros off that Protestants/British and Roman Catholics/Irish can actually get on and help each other!! :D

-lamb-
09/02/2005, 12:11 PM
Not really,nothing would make me happier...... :rolleyes: unfortunately,as a Prod.(albeit lapsed),who's resided in the osc & observed the worst excesses of some of the local dinosaurs :mad: ,this appears to be an exception to the rule!

Dont agree with the excesses of the GAA elsewhere,but in this part of the world can understand some residual paranoia......due to the less than accomodating attitude of certain Planters! :mad:

so, you had some bad experiences where you lived and decided to vent your anger and bitterness against a whole swathe of society.
it would appear that anything related to Northern Ireland is fair game for your potshots due to the deep and ingrained bitterness you feel to a handful of people.........way to go davros.
MUST you bring your bitter politics into ever sporting discussion on Northern Ireland?
let it go, get a life.

-lamb-
09/02/2005, 1:13 PM
OK,when the dinosaurs in their archaic :rolleyes: 'Br*t' theme park do likewise..............

Btw,not my politics,merely an Opinion,one of many dissenting......which some of the local populace cant,er,stomach! :(

you opinion on political matters make your politics.
even in reply you still can't leave it alone. the word "fixated" comes to mind.
so, to conclude, you will still make a political point from any mention (or even in threads with no mention) of sport in Northern Ireland.

any excuse to get your soapbox out, eh? as i said, get a life.

jimhacker
09/02/2005, 2:00 PM
Actually for a change this season the Dutch championship might be won by a Non big three team. AZ '67 have been up there all season. It certainly looks like they will get a champions league place.

Liam Buckley?

Éanna
09/02/2005, 3:15 PM
lads, is it not possible for people to discuss each case on its merits, without always bringing politics and history into it. As has repeatedly been said, its not a politics forum. I'm locking this thread, and any posts that contain politicised abbreviations, or start dragging up NON-FOOTBALL RELATED topics in football threads are getting binned from now on. I'm not going to start giving out to people, those of you who are most guilty have been on this site long enough to know better. Next time, keep it to football.

Éanna