PDA

View Full Version : Which Cup do the fans want?

ccfcman
02/02/2005, 3:36 PM
Well the club I reckon probably want the Setanta Cup for the cash, but I am the only one who'd still rather the prestige of the cup?

adamd164
02/02/2005, 3:41 PM
That's a tough one.........I'd still go for the FAI Cup personally.

Peadar
02/02/2005, 3:44 PM
The Setanta Cup has no history so it could easily be dismissed by outsiders as a worthless event. Of course we know the monetary reward is great so from that perspective we want to do well.
If the event is as successful as it can be then it's status will rise over the coming years. The FAI Cup is great because of the chance non-league clubs have but I'd take the league over everything.

James
02/02/2005, 4:18 PM
UEFA Cup
ye're all thinking too small time for me

pete
02/02/2005, 4:32 PM
To be honest i've never cared too much about the FAI Cup beyond obvious entry to UEFA Cup.

When you go to a lot of games up & down the country a League win would be reward for loyalty during the season.

Éanna
02/02/2005, 4:44 PM
the league is all that matters to me. The other cups are a nice day, and (in the case of the setanta cup) a bit of money and some good publicity. I'd happily lose every cup game we played if it meant winning the league. that said, it would be nice to win one of them, as it means a trophy to show off, I'd go for the setanta cup because of the money.

Colm
02/02/2005, 5:10 PM
I suppose you have to take three things into consideration i.e. prize money, prestige and euro qualifiaction. Therefore our priorities should be in this order imo....

1) League
2) Setanta Cup
3) UEFA Cup
4) FAI Cup

The league cup and Munster Senior Cup are irrelevant to us really but will be useful to give U21's and squad players a run.

James
02/02/2005, 5:25 PM
1) League
2) Setanta Cup
3) UEFA Cup
4) FAI Cup

u saying ya rather win the setanta cup then the uefa cup
oh my god
:eek:

thecorner
02/02/2005, 5:55 PM
im with james on this one

i want the uefa cup ;)

patsh
03/02/2005, 7:43 AM
I rather like the sound of All-Ireland Champions.....;)

eoinh
06/02/2005, 3:56 PM
1) League
1) Setanta Cup
1) UEFA Cup
1) FAI Cup
1) European Super Cup (hope Monaco lives up to expectations)
2) Culture Cup
3) League Cup
4) Munster Cup

If Pat doesnt win all 8, he has to go :)

razor
07/02/2005, 7:26 AM
The league is our bread and butter, that should be our priority.
No harm in people wanting a bit of jam with that.

Pablo
07/02/2005, 1:14 PM
FAI cup over Setanta cup any day. Its the more important competition

Colm
07/02/2005, 1:26 PM
FAI cup over Setanta cup any day. Its the more important competition

History wise yes but 20,000 compared to 150,000 says the Setanta is now more important.
Also the FAI cup has been devalued in recent years with the bigger clubs not taking it seriously and clubs like Longford, Pats, Waterford etc getting to the final.
That said I'd like to win them both! :)

SÓC
07/02/2005, 1:28 PM
=
1) League
2) Setanta Cup
3) UEFA Cup
4) FAI Cup

The league cup and Munster Senior Cup are irrelevant to us really but will be useful to give U21's and squad players a run.

Spot on

Pablo
07/02/2005, 1:28 PM
History wise yes but 20,000 compared to 150,000 says the Setanta is now more important.
Also the FAI cup has been devalued in recent years with the bigger clubs not taking it seriously and clubs like Longford, Pats, Waterford etc getting to the final.
That said I'd like to win them both! :)

money wise yes. but football clubs are judged on their history. fact. we've only won 2 major trophies EVER and thats why for me the FAI cup win every time

SÓC
07/02/2005, 1:29 PM
money wise yes. but football clubs are judged on their history. fact. we've only won 2 major trophies EVER and thats why for me the FAI cup win every time

two words

Shamrock Rovers

Colm
07/02/2005, 1:31 PM
two words

Shamrock Rovers

You beat me to it.
Rovers have a great history, Pats were great in the 90's but they are still both regarded as joke clubs today.
I'll take the 150,000 from the Setanta Cup because that money could be used towards winning more trophies in the future.

Pablo
07/02/2005, 1:39 PM
for excitment etc i'll find it hard to get as wound up for the Setanta cup as i would for an Fai cup semi or a final

Colm
07/02/2005, 1:41 PM
for excitment etc i'll find it hard to get as wound up for the Setanta cup as i would for an Fai cup semi or a final

That's a good point alright but I still think that if we get to the final of the Setanta it will be as big an occasion as an FAI Cup final. Don't forget it's on a Saturday afternoon so we'd bring a massive crowd if we got to it.

Pablo
07/02/2005, 1:45 PM
That's a good point alright but I still think that if we get to the final of the Setanta it will be as big an occasion as an FAI Cup final. Don't forget it's on a Saturday afternoon so we'd bring a massive crowd if we got to it.

i'd hope that would be the case but as its a new competition you'd never know.
We'll have to wait and see

let me put ot this way. For supporters i'd imagine the FAI cup is more important

for the bank manager it would have to be the Setanta.

Dont foget theres a UEFA cup spot for the FAI cup too

harry crumb
07/02/2005, 2:11 PM
I'd like to get the FAI Cup. I never got to go to the last final and it would be a good day out.

conboy
07/02/2005, 4:59 PM
Lets have it all ! :D :D :D

pete
07/02/2005, 9:24 PM
Eventhough i think i said Setanta Cup already i'd say the FAI is almost more important - gets entry to UEFA CUP + Setanta Cup which each have guaranteed number of games which may make up for 130k difference in prize money.