PDA

View Full Version : Mid week fixtures 27/09

oriel
27/09/2016, 10:44 AM
Looking at soccer republic last night, I'd have thought the result Cork got in Sligo was actually a point gained rather than 2 dropped. It's very unlikely both Dlk and Cork will win all their remaining matches, the 11/10 fixture obviously exempted.

Every point and even goal counts, and they may look back on this as a good point. I remember leaving then Carlisle in late Oct 2014 (2nd last match) very disappointed we 'only' drew 1-1 when in hindsight that was also a good point. Cork may have gone top that weekend by one point, and we needed to win v Cork to win the league, and same would have applied if we'd lost to Bray, however going into the final match unbeaten the week before proved to be very important, as it mentally prepared the team for what they had to do.

Also looking at the remaining fixtures that soccer republic put up last night, there are some very tricky ones for each, both have to go to Pats, Cork have also an away trip to Galway not to mention Dundalk. And we have Rovers away along with that visit to Pats.

Ps shocking reporting in the Irish Star today, they have the Cork v Galway match listed as 'Galway Utd v Cork City, Deacy Park 745 pm', not just listed, the preview also refers to Deacy Park.

Big game in the Brandywell, the winner will have a slight advantage for the final auto Euro spot, 4th spot will also get EL as long as one of the top 3 win the cup.

I think it's fair to say Pats are more focused the cup semi final on Sunday, not sure if Sligo have left it too late to challenge for 4th, I think they have, if they are to have an outside chance, they'll need to win away to Pats tonight, followed by a few more consecutive wins.

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2016, 11:30 AM
Would you call a draw against a team who got pumped 4-0 a few days earlier a point gained?

Well that's basically what happened Dundalk last Tuesday and I doubt many people were calling it a good point.

Mr A
27/09/2016, 11:44 AM
Sligo are one of those teams though that can be very good or very bad- sometimes in the same game. And teams are sometimes dangerous after shipping a hammering.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
27/09/2016, 11:54 AM
Cork drawing with us has taken the league out of their own hands so yes it is most certainly 2 points dropped at this stage of the season

redobit
27/09/2016, 11:54 AM
Would you call a draw against a team who got pumped 4-0 a few days earlier a point gained?

Is it a point gained against a team who have lost only 2 games out of 14 at home this season, conceding just 9 goals in 14 games?

pineapple stu
27/09/2016, 11:58 AM
Cork drawing with us has taken the league out of their own hands so yes it is most certainly 2 points dropped at this stage of the season
I think this is it.

Cork are too far behind Dundalk to look on any draw as a point gained, even if Dundalk lose on the same night.

A draw in Sligo might be a good result ordinarily (and Sligo have been in good form, the hammering in Bray aside), but that doesn't really apply in Cork's current position.

White Horse
27/09/2016, 12:01 PM

Well that's basically what happened Dundalk last Tuesday and I doubt many people were calling it a good point.

Not after the game on Tuesday. But fans were expressing a different opinion on Saturday after Cork drew in Sligo.

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2016, 12:10 PM
Is it a point gained against a team who have lost only 2 games out of 14 at home this season, conceding just 9 goals in 14 games?
Yes it is.

oriel
27/09/2016, 1:53 PM

Cork were away and were up against a much improved performance by Sligo, that outcome looked like a very fair outcome, I think it was a decent point for them. Dlk were at home against Rovers, same outcome but I think most would agree although Rovers worked hard, given the second half display, it was 2 points dropped by Dundalk.

Huge match tonight for Cork, there will be no argument over points dropped or gained if they fail to win.

jinxy lilywhite
27/09/2016, 1:55 PM
Only proper way to gauge points won or lost is on head to head with your rivals. Overall cork dropping points to sligo is probably points lost as dundalk has picked up 6 out of 6 with them.

Still plenty of games and neither side will collect maximum points in all games .it's still all to play for.
The week after the semi finals is the key week I feel

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2016, 2:00 PM
Cork were away and were up against a much improved performance by Sligo, that outcome looked like a very fair outcome, I think it was a decent point for them. Dlk were at home against Rovers, same outcome but I think most would agree although Rovers worked hard, given the second half display, it was 2 points dropped by Dundalk.

Huge match tonight for Cork, there will be no argument over points dropped or gained if they fail to win.
That's my point though. Teams can play well in games but at this stage of the season it's about points and Cork should be beating even a really pumped-up Sligo, ditto Dundalk beating Shamrock Rovers under 8s.

El-Pietro
27/09/2016, 2:17 PM
It was without a doubt a disappointing result. I wasn't there and haven't seen Soccer Republic so can't say too much about the performance. It may prove to be valuable, or it may prove to be the end of our season. There's a long way to go still - 8 games each I think? So I think there will be points dropped between the pair of us yet, but at this point, with it in our hands after Rovers doing us a favour, we really needed to kick on.

Its done now, we need to move on and pick up all 3 points tonight.

patrickccfc
27/09/2016, 7:36 PM
Well as first halves go, can't ask for much better than a 4-1 lead. More goals to be had in the second half I reckon

White Horse
27/09/2016, 7:40 PM
Could be a big result for Derry if they beat Shamrock Rovers.

redobit
27/09/2016, 8:30 PM
So the ref makes Pats change from their red home jersey to their white away jersey because it clashes with Rovers navy jersey. Yet here is a picture from about 5 months ago. :rolleyes:

White Horse
27/09/2016, 8:39 PM
Great result for Shamrock Rovers. Weird result from Turners Cross. Cork win as expected but ship three goals.

sbgawa
27/09/2016, 8:49 PM
Great result for Shamrock Rovers. Weird result from Turners Cross. Cork win as expected but ship three goals.

Great result from rovers after being 2 nil down. Thank God we got rid of fenlon. Scoring more conceding more bloodied some grest young talent. Sign some decent players for next year clear out some of the dead wood and we are looking good for a better shot next year.

patrickccfc
27/09/2016, 8:57 PM
Great to get the win and get a few goals in but conceding 3 is very disappointing really. Could've put a dent in the goal difference

El-Pietro
27/09/2016, 9:06 PM
Strange game tonight. Big news is that John Kavanagh played a small part. Hes missed the bulk of two years, it would be great to get him back for the run in but match fitness is tricky to come by at this time of the season.

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2016, 9:12 PM
Sounded like a cracker of a game. Derry dominated first half, then we scored on the stroke of half time and had all the play in the second. We've had an awful run at the Brandywell so even a draw is something to get excited about, and more importantly we're still in third until we lose in Dundalk.

ToberonaTornado
27/09/2016, 11:12 PM
Kenny Shiels post match v Shams.

"..we had the game in the can....How many times have we seen that that a team just agriculturally gets a point..sickens me..."

Not going to quote his full moan about Shams' approach to the match but it's worth a wee listen :D

From about 2':47 on the tape.
https://soundcloud.com/drive105mnl/derry-city-v-shamrock-rovers-highlights-plus-the-thoughts-of-ronan-curtis-kenny-shiels

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2016, 11:21 PM
I don't think any manager part from Kenny and maybe Buckley can complain about teams playing agricultural football in the Premier this year. Every team does it when they need to, and to pretend otherwise...

joey B
28/09/2016, 1:09 AM

"..we had the game in the can....How many times have we seen that that a team just agriculturally gets a point..sickens me..."

Not going to quote his full moan about Shams' approach to the match but it's worth a wee listen :D

https://soundcloud.com/drive105mnl/derry-city-v-shamrock-rovers-highlights-plus-the-thoughts-of-ronan-curtis-kenny-shiels

Of course Kenny every team thats not quite as talented as your group of 'Galacticos' should roll over and let they're belly be tickled,Id imagine Derry fan's are delighted we the job Shields is doing but some of his interviews are bizarre to say the least.

Ezeikial
28/09/2016, 8:23 AM
Id imagine Derry fan's are delighted we the job Shields is doing but some of his interviews are bizarre to say the least.

Thats part of the craic - he gives guaranteed entertainment in his interviews every week

Longfordian
28/09/2016, 11:56 AM
I don't think any manager part from Kenny and maybe Buckley can complain about teams playing agricultural football in the Premier this year. Every team does it when they need to, and to pretend otherwise...

We've certainly produced a fair amount of manure

sadloserkid
28/09/2016, 4:31 PM
How can Derry City be proud of their 'brand' when that absolute jackass in the dugout? :D

TonyD
28/09/2016, 7:17 PM
So the ref makes Pats change from their red home jersey to their white away jersey because it clashes with Rovers navy jersey. Yet here is a picture from about 5 months ago. :rolleyes:

Was wondering what was going on there. Crazy stuff.

On the game, I thoughit was decent enough. We played a bit better than of late in the league, but probably didn't do enough to win. Was impressed with Sligo, energetic and played some decent stuff. They could have won it, we could have won it, so a draw was probably fair enough. I don't think that level of performance will do against Cork on Sunday if they are on their game, so we'll have to improve.

As an aside, Billy Dennehy took a free kick tonight that had to be seen to be believed, and not in a good way !!!!!

sbgawa
28/09/2016, 7:58 PM

He only sees what he wants to. Wasn't at the match but one og the lads who was said we played some grest stuff. Watch it on soccer Republic.

redarmyfaction
28/09/2016, 10:15 PM
Agriculture is all you have, when you hail from the midst of the cold and windy mountains.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
29/09/2016, 7:52 AM
Was wondering what was going on there. Crazy stuff.

On the game, I thoughit was decent enough. We played a bit better than of late in the league, but probably didn't do enough to win. Was impressed with Sligo, energetic and played some decent stuff. They could have won it, we could have won it, so a draw was probably fair enough. I don't think that level of performance will do against Cork on Sunday if they are on their game, so we'll have to improve.

As an aside, Billy Dennehy took a free kick tonight that had to be seen to be believed, and not in a good way !!!!!

Yeah an enjoyable 0-0 that's for sure. Thought we were the better team for about 70 minutes but Pats really pinned us back towards the end and should have scored with the last kick. Could easily have been 3-3.

That Dennehy free kick was comical. He was taken off a couple of minutes later. One of the lads in our section reckoned he was taken off as he had to go and find the ball.

disgruntled
29/09/2016, 4:44 PM
Yeah an enjoyable 0-0 that's for sure. Thought we were the better team for about 70 minutes but Pats really pinned us back towards the end and should have scored with the last kick. Could easily have been 3-3.

That Dennehy free kick was comical. He was taken off a couple of minutes later. One of the lads in our section reckoned he was taken off as he had to go and find the ball.

That ball was found by the way just south of Naas or maybe that was from one of his free kicks when he was in Cork.
He cost us a fortune in footballs & broken windows ;)
Good player though when he wanted to be.