PDA

View Full Version : Italy & China to come to Dublin

Karlos
02/02/2005, 11:12 AM
taken from fai.ie

Football Association of Ireland today announced details of friendly fixtures against China and Italy.

China will visit Dublin on Tuesday 29th March while Italy will be the visitors on 17th August. Both matches will Kick Off at 7.30 pm. In the latest FIFA Rankings China are in 54th place and the Italians are 10th.

Making the announcement FAI Chief Executive Officer, John Delaney, said, “We are delighted to bring these two teams to Dublin. They will provide quality opposition for Brian Kerr and his players and exciting entertainment for the fans.”

Republic of Ireland Manager, Brian Kerr said, “China have made great progress over the last few years and will provide difficult opposition. We all witnessed the performances of the Asian teams in the last World Cup and China play a similar type of football.”

“Italy make a welcome return to Dublin. They are one of the great traditional powers in the world and will be a massive attraction. The game will be ideal preparation for the three important World Cup Qualifiers against Cyprus, France and Switzerland in the autumn,” the Manager concluded.

The matches will be sold as a two game package with tickets available to clubs, leagues and block bookers in the normal way. Terrace tickets will be sold through Ticketmaster and will be available from February 10th.

eirebhoy
02/02/2005, 11:44 AM
China will visit Dublin on Tuesday 29th March while Italy will be the visitors on 17th August.
So the clash is confirmed:
TUE. 29/3 FAI 3 v FAI 1 Cork City v Shelbourne

Bloody thicks in Merrion square. :rolleyes:

eirebhoy
02/02/2005, 11:51 AM
BTW - thats Brazil, France, Czech Republic, Holland, Portugal and Italy we've played under Kerr, all in the top 10. Others many of the current set of players have played are Argentina and Spain which leaves only Mexico and England left. :) Turkey were top 10 when we played them too.

Slash/ED
02/02/2005, 11:54 AM
Vintage FAI **** up re: the dates, I bet none of them even knew there was a clash.

fosterdollar
02/02/2005, 11:54 AM
BTW - thats Brazil, France, Czech Republic, Holland, Portugal and Italy we've played under Kerr, all in the top 10. Others many of the current set of players have played are Argentina and Spain which leaves only Mexico and England left. :) Turkey were top 10 when we played them too.

Results from those games will have a big effect on our own standing also

Hibs4Ever
02/02/2005, 11:57 AM
So the clash is confirmed:
TUE. 29/3 FAI 3 v FAI 1 Cork City v Shelbourne

Bloody thicks in Merrion square. :rolleyes:

I wonder if it had been on the same night as a Man Utd v Arsenal match would they have copped it. HELL YEAH THEY WOULD

tetsujin1979
02/02/2005, 12:07 PM
The China game will give the fringe players a chance to stake their claim for a place in the squad, the starting 11 against Italy will more than likely start against France (3 weeks later??).
And with the 2 games being sold as a package, it should get more of the real fans into the Italy game.

Peadar
02/02/2005, 12:15 PM
Others many of the current set of players have played are Argentina and Spain which leaves only Mexico and England left.

Didn't Roy Keane play against Mexico in USA 94?

Slash/ED
02/02/2005, 1:16 PM
Didn't Roy Keane play against Mexico in USA 94?

At any absolute guess would he not also have played in that friendly v England in Lansedown?

Peadar
02/02/2005, 1:22 PM
would he not also have played in that friendly v England in Lansedown?

You're very probably right.
That's actually 10 years ago this month.
It's also 10 years since Cantona kicked that Lánger at Crystal Palace but the riot in Lansdowne Road seems like much longer ago in my memory.

Bald Student
02/02/2005, 1:58 PM
So the clash is confirmed:I wonder will anyone who goes to the Cork / Shels match loose their allocation of International tickets.

Bluebeard
02/02/2005, 2:03 PM
Vintage FAI **** up re: the dates, I bet none of them even knew there was a clash.
Whatever about however many knew of the clash, I would reckon fewer cared :rolleyes:

Would it have happened when Fran Rooney was there?

eirebhoy
02/02/2005, 2:27 PM
The Cork - Shels match is been rescheduled to the 28th according to Seansouth on boards.ie.

Slash/ED
02/02/2005, 2:30 PM
I'm delighted if that's true, I'll be able to get to both games with a bit of luck.

pete
02/02/2005, 4:22 PM
Based on 451 allocation of tickets i presume city fans will still have to pay for their nominated tickets.

gypsyfella
02/02/2005, 6:33 PM
As a result of the Republic of Ireland senior international friendly
match v China on Tuesday March 29th, the Setanta Cup Group 2 fixture
between Cork City and Shelbourne, originally scheduled for that date has
been brought forward one day and will now take place on Monday March 28th
(Easter Monday).