PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season Friendlies

Petmuller
01/02/2005, 10:07 PM
Rovers kick-off the pre-season on Saturday next in Riverstown with a game versus Arrow Harps. The Rovers website don't have a time for the kick-off. Anyone know anything about the game??
Rovers have a few players on trial so I'm sure they will be playing in this one so it would be worth a look.

Paraic
02/02/2005, 1:18 PM
Kick-off against Arrow Harps on Saturday 5 Feb is 3 pm - match to be played in the Community Park in Riverstown

Rovers kick-off the pre-season on Saturday next in Riverstown with a game versus Arrow Harps. The Rovers website don't have a time for the kick-off. Anyone know anything about the game??
Rovers have a few players on trial so I'm sure they will be playing in this one so it would be worth a look.

Petmuller
02/02/2005, 6:18 PM
Thanks for that paraic, should be an interesting work out for the squad and we'll get to see the new guys I'm sure.

Johnny Kenny now plays with Arrow Harps.

sligoman
02/02/2005, 6:25 PM
and we'll get to see the new guys I'm sure.

NO, Sean Connor has already said he is only plaing the young players. He aint playing new players until the game against the LOI select 11

Petmuller
02/02/2005, 10:08 PM
The Champion says that the news guys will get a run out. Now I just don't know who I should believe :confused:

sligoman
03/02/2005, 10:49 PM
The Champion says that the news guys will get a run out. Now I just don't know who I should believe :confused:

Well the weekender on the 25th of Jan said he was'nt so there you go, you ******* ********

Petmuller
05/02/2005, 9:52 AM
Anyone any news on this fixture. I was told this morning that it's in doubt after all the heavy rain yesterday. Would appreciate if anyone has any news.

Petmuller
05/02/2005, 10:37 AM
no, it's on alright. will post on here if anything changes
Cheers, in da red, keep us updated.

Petmuller
05/02/2005, 11:54 AM
is there many going to the game? i wanna go but it's gonna be the u21's playing on some shi* pitch so could be a waste of time

The new guys will get a run out - for how long only Connor knows.

sligoman
05/02/2005, 12:57 PM
is there many going to the game? i wanna go but it's gonna be the u21's playing on some shi* pitch so could be a waste of time

Yeah it is mostly going to be U-21's playing. No new players

Petmuller
06/02/2005, 9:18 PM
i don't think that's true. if it is i don't know what he's done to deserve a new contract he's crap. fits into the category of jack, carr, gorman etc. as far as i'm concerned

Very harsh red til dead, Alan's only a young lad with potential, personally I hope he has rejoined Rovers as I do feel he deserves a chance.

showgies
07/02/2005, 8:31 AM
I was at the game in Riverstown and Arrow Harps were the much better team. Both Rovers goals came as a result of amatuer goalkeeping. There wasn't much else to report as the game was played on a tight and bumpy pitch. The pick of the Rovers players was Sean Kelly at left back.

I thought Flynn looked lively when he came on and I think Rovers should re-sign him. Also, Arrow Harps No. 14 looked handy, good skill for a tall lad. As for Johnny Kenny, he stayed in the middle of the park and played the game nice and simply.......in fact, someting that is missing from the Rovers team.

One incident however did disappoint me. In the 1st half a bad tackle was made on Kelly by the Harps young centre forward, Connor subsequently had a go at the ref........on seeing that no action was being done....he shouted at Kelly "See if he does that again Sean you have my permission to do it back to him".................Christ so much for community spirit, an bit OTT, I thought.

Redzer
07/02/2005, 10:05 AM
Did anyone notice O'Malleys kick out? He was almost landing them in the Arrow Harps box. Over all a very poor game on a very poor surface. Difficult to judge any of the players, but our left back was strong. I thought he was the most impressive Rovers player. Gaffney was quite in midfield, but his goal reminded me of the strike in Tolka. Our front players seen very little of the ball.

Petmuller
07/02/2005, 3:51 PM
One incident however did disappoint me. In the 1st half a bad tackle was made on Kelly by the Harps young centre forward, Connor subsequently had a go at the ref........on seeing that no action was being done....he shouted at Kelly "See if he does that again Sean you have my permission to do it back to him".................Christ so much for community spirit, an bit OTT, I thought.

Very disappointing to hear this. This is the type of behavior I'd hoped we get away from once we saw the back of O'Riordan. There's no excuse in the world for those comments.

Petmuller
08/02/2005, 5:27 PM
new friendly scheduled against glenavon(away) feb15th. a few senior players will be playing. can't wait for first real home friendly.

Isn't that the same night as the AGM :confused: :mad:

Petmuller
08/02/2005, 9:49 PM
I hear Conor O Grady is looking for big money plus a signing on fee. Talks are on going but don't look too good at the moment. Waterford and Galway are interested in signing him.
Gino O Boyle has been offered a contract with Cork City.
Best of wishes to Gino, he's a great lad and a very loyal supporter of the Rovers.

gustavo
08/02/2005, 10:03 PM
yeah ginos a sound man pity rovers didnt get him but all the best to him down there and if he does as well as conor o grady did he will be doing well.

Terry
09/02/2005, 7:05 AM
I hear Conor O Grady is looking for big money plus a signing on fee. Talks are on going but don't look too good at the moment. Waterford and Galway are interested in signing him.
Gino O Boyle has been offered a contract with Cork City.
Best of wishes to Gino, he's a great lad and a very loyal supporter of the Rovers.

We have no interest in Conor O' Grady as we cannot afford what he is looking for wage wise!

no11_04
09/02/2005, 9:29 AM
If Rovers have no money to sign O'Grady it is interesting that Connor is able to deal with agents in England (who don't work for nothing) in his pursuit of players with no experience of the National League. Add in living expenses and probably paid trips home and it must be costing a fortune to get these players. How much would O'Grady have cost in comparison with these players? At least O'Grady has been around the National League for a few years and has proven himself.

Petmuller
09/02/2005, 4:01 PM
If Rovers have no money to sign O'Grady it is interesting that Connor is able to deal with agents in England (who don't work for nothing) in his pursuit of players with no experience of the National League. Add in living expenses and probably paid trips home and it must be costing a fortune to get these players. How much would O'Grady have cost in comparison with these players? At least O'Grady has been around the National League for a few years and has proven himself.
This is the same negative moan again that has plagued our club for years. Now we have a manager in place who seems to want to do a professional job and he's building up contacts along the way, yet only the negatives will be sussed out. Conor O Grady is a local player, working and living locally and yet he tries to get the best deal possible for himself from whomever he plays for. Now while there's absolutely nothing wrong with that we have to look at it from Rovers point of view. The budget is the buzz word and if Conor is going to cost over and above then we simply can't afford him and basically that's the bottom line. The club can't pay out what it doesn't have, enough said.

1 9 2 8
09/02/2005, 6:50 PM
I wonder what the difference is between what rovers can offer and what Conor O'Grady wants. Would be terrible if we missed out simply on a wage discrepancy.
It can't be that much only a few hundred at most. The new supporters trust could do fund raisers and pay the difference after all this is what the trust should be about getting Rovers back to the premier league. It would be a shame to lose him on some so small

Petmuller
09/02/2005, 10:08 PM
It can't be that much only a few hundred at most. The new supporters trust could do fund raisers and pay the difference after all this is what the trust should be about getting Rovers back to the premier league. It would be a shame to lose him on some so small

A few hundred euro doesn't sound much but it takes some gathering. Selling tickets or whatever fundraiser you have in mind would need dedicated supporters to offer their time to help out. Are there enough dedicated supporters amoung us to help realise our wish to get Rovers back to the premier division. It's alright saying what we think the new trust concept is about but realistically it's down to the us, the supporters, to make it work.

A question to the steering committee of the trust

Have many supporters come back with offers of help?
Has many, if any, supporters filled in the application forms and returned same?

Redzer
10/02/2005, 9:41 AM
The trust isnt set up yet. But yeah it's something the trust could get into to help rovers along.
What is set up is the 400 Club. I recently received a newsletter from them, and I get the impression that quite an amount of the people in the 400 Club last season have not renewed their membership. After raising 75K towards Rovers last season, and a new manager on board, I fail to understand why people who call themselves supporters would not continue to fund this excellent fundraiser,for something like 5 euro a week.
Also there is the Lotto, could supporters not sell at least one book per week each? If Conner O'Grady does not sign, its nobodys fault only ours, cos we dont get up of our asre and do something about it. But we'll moan and groan afterwards.

Redzer
10/02/2005, 12:44 PM
indeed the 400 club is set up. I'm in it but received no news letter . when did you get it. am also a shareholder but i got no letter yet about AGM. anyway back to the point.

I thought everyone who was in the 400 last year got back on board. If it wasnt fully subscribed then I'm sure the club would have advertised the fact or else why havent they. Does the newsletter detail what the money is spent on?

I think it was last week that I received the newsletter, I dont have it at hand but I will look it up this evening and post tomorrow. It outlined all money raised and spent last season. There was a mention of membership falling away this year.and if you did'nt get the newsletter, then maybe it's not suprising. I know I'd feel ****ed off.
I also am a shareholder, I received notice of the AGM, again it was early last week or even the week before.