PDA

View Full Version : Potential Waterford United Investment

Mr A
22/09/2016, 1:35 PM
Not much detail, but story is here: http://www.beat102103.com/sport/waterford-united-set-saved-international-takeover-consortium/

An international business consortium is reported to have expressed interest in taking over Waterford United Football Club, which holds the potential to make the club the richest in the Republic.

Interesting times in the LOI, but aren't they always?

El-Pietro
22/09/2016, 1:37 PM
Speaking exclusively to WLR’s Off The Ball, manager Roddy Collins remained tight lipped on the possibility of a takeover, but revealed that the investors had paid a visit to the club last Friday and were “very impressed” by what they saw.
This is how I know Roddy is full of it this time.

nigel-harps1954
22/09/2016, 1:38 PM
I just can't shake the words 'Luton Town' from my head.

osarusan
22/09/2016, 1:42 PM
This is how I know Roddy is full of it this time.

This bit?

Roddy Collins remained tight lipped

El-Pietro
22/09/2016, 2:03 PM
This bit?

I was focusing more on the "very impressed by what the saw" bit. Waterford have been atrocious this year!

sulywaterfordfc
22/09/2016, 2:20 PM
I was focusing more on the "very impressed by what the saw" bit. Waterford have been atrocious this year!

Presumably that is about the facilities the club has at its disposal. As it's certainly not about the first team. The only positive thing about the club this year had been the excellent U17 team and the emergency of a few youth players in the first team, Dean Walsh and Eoin Wall to name a couple.

fionnsci
22/09/2016, 2:24 PM
I hope this comes to something. Irish football may not be a profitable environment but Dundalk have shown that real money can be made with the right resources and patience. Waterford already have a decent ground (if with an infuriating running track), and twice the urban population of Dundalk, not accounting for County Waterford.

trevy
22/09/2016, 3:21 PM
I hope so too but we heard the same last winter from Roddy Collins and nothing happened. Next year will be our 10th year in first division and interest in the club and crowds are dwindling so it is badly needed.

El-Pietro
22/09/2016, 3:25 PM
He had the same story regarding takeovers of Longford and Carlisle. Like the upgrade of the Brandywell, I'll believe it when I see it.

legendz
22/09/2016, 4:15 PM
I've had reason to spend a lot of time in Waterford. It was a great win for the Kerry League beat them in the league cup in '08. I was there. Not many can say that!

It's been very disappointing to see how the last few years have gone. A few years back after Cork and Derry had been promoted, and Shelbourne and Limerick had gone up, Waterford would have expected to be the next club in line for promotion.

It's a great city and county. Hopefully they will get on a sound footing and there'll be positive developments in their favour.

wonder88
22/09/2016, 4:49 PM
Hope this happens. Interesting that a lot of Chinese funds have come into English clubs for example, apparently expecting public infrastructure contracts in return. Cameron/Osborne pushed this, and as well as Man City; Villa, The Baggies, Wolves and Leeds have all been purchased by Chinese firms. These clubs are all close to the massive High Speed rail line project. The Chinese have already got a piece of the Hinckley Pt nuclear plant contract which many people consider a waste of money but it suited the Tory government agenda.
After all we gave away through NAMA you would think that our government would insist on some quid pro quid in the form of investment from the lucky purchasers in say LoI clubs or other sporting facilities. That 7 million in the Isle of Man account would be a big boast to Waterford, Athlone, Shels etc.

colonelwest
22/09/2016, 5:46 PM
Hope this happens. Interesting that a lot of Chinese funds have come into English clubs for example, apparently expecting public infrastructure contracts in return. Cameron/Osborne pushed this, and as well as Man City; Villa, The Baggies, Wolves and Leeds have all been purchased by Chinese firms. These clubs are all close to the massive High Speed rail line project. The Chinese have already got a piece of the Hinckley Pt nuclear plant contract which many people consider a waste of money but it suited the Tory government agenda.
After all we gave away through NAMA you would think that our government would insist on some quid pro quid in the form of investment from the lucky purchasers in say LoI clubs or other sporting facilities. That 7 million in the Isle of Man account would be a big boast to Waterford, Athlone, Shels etc.

The closest the LOI will come to a Chinese influx is being able to get a 4 in 1 in the Sing Lee in Oriel Park!

ToberonaTornado
22/09/2016, 7:16 PM
Went to look for more details on this story on the Waterford United web page :(

http://www.waterford-united.ie/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

**FrOsTy**
22/09/2016, 8:26 PM
Thankfully, this has absolutely nothing to do with Roddy Collins.

The club have been working on this the last few weeks, but Roddy had to go and open his big mouth about it.

Very very early in proceedings but from what I gather this is the most lucrative "rumour" to pop up about investment in our club.

Allegedly an international consortium contacted our club about potential take over and came over last Friday to check out the facilities eg. RSC, WIT Training Facility, Whitfield Medical Centre etc etc. They will do up a report and hopefully take it to the next step over the coming weeks.

They could very well have contacted 5/6 other clubs as well, so I for one wont be getting excited yet.

EatYerGreens
23/09/2016, 12:06 AM

You're deluded if you think the Chinese money attracted to English football has anything to do with fishing for public sector contracts. You just have to look at the sectors that some of the investors are involved in to realise that.

The Chinese influx is primarily those long-standing factors of foreign investors buying instant kudos/status via a high profile investment, and rich people looking for playthings. Buying West Bromwich Albion would have ni bearing on your ability to land government contracts. The Conservative government in England haven't a feckin' clue about football or who owns what in it.

trevy
23/09/2016, 8:53 AM
Went to look for more details on this story on the Waterford United web page :(

http://www.waterford-united.ie/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

The official website has been down for months a sign of the way things have gone at the club lately:(

Dodge
23/09/2016, 9:37 AM
You're deluded if you think the Chinese money attracted to English football has anything to do with fishing for public sector contracts. You just have to look at the sectors that some of the investors are involved in to realise that.

The Chinese influx is primarily those long-standing factors of foreign investors buying instant kudos/status via a high profile investment, and rich people looking for playthings. Buying West Bromwich Albion would have ni bearing on your ability to land government contracts. The Conservative government in England haven't a feckin' clue about football or who owns what in it.
It's more about hiding their money/assets in English football clubs before it's all taken from them/they lose it on the markets

wonder88
23/09/2016, 5:26 PM
I see that Jim O Neill(now Lord) today has resign from the Britsih Treasury due to the PM snubbing of China. O Neill was appointed to the government and Lords by Osborne and given responsibility for the "northern Powerhouse" conservative policy. People may recall him as a member of the "red knights" who had proposals to buy Man Utd before the Glaser family and during the height of the fans unhappiness with the American ownership, green and red shirts,scarfs and formation of FC Utd.
Another opportunity perhaps for Irish business/LoI clubs due to the changing nature of British politics.

Martinho II
23/09/2016, 7:10 PM
no offence to Roddy but there was the same talk eight years ago when him and his buddy were goin to take over us and it never happened so I would take it with a pinch of salt!

trevy
24/09/2016, 1:39 PM
Waterford United general manager Paul Cleary was on local radio this morning and said there had been some preliminary interest a few times this season and a visitor on behalf of Chinese consortium was checking out the club recently but he played it down so I won't be getting my hopes up until something is announced. A report on the club by Ned O'Connor on behalf of FAI is coming out in next few weeks and there will be an open meeting at WIT to discuss the clubs future plans then.

Nesta99
24/09/2016, 4:37 PM
Funny how these consortium rumours have moved from being Russian to Chinese now, with a few middle-eastern thrown in for good measure. Even Dundalk when up for sale in 2012 had an approach from some Russian mob. It would be great to see such things happen as I have always wondered why someone has never taken a punt on a LoI side where a few million investment could get a return with European prizemoney than say a Carlisle which could see a hundred million buried and not make Europe (before the TV deals went astronomical).

Charlie Darwin
25/09/2016, 1:30 AM
Funny how these consortium rumours have moved from being Russian to Chinese now, with a few middle-eastern thrown in for good measure.
Getting jealous that Waterford are muscling in on Dundalk's Palestinian business ties? :p

Nesta99
27/09/2016, 5:56 AM
Totally!! Some very rich Arabs round Oriel Park would make the Europa League game so much less worrying as its the Irish bunch who are playing at being outraged by the fixture. :rolleyes:

nigel-harps1954
28/10/2016, 2:13 PM
http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/irishfootball/7253571/Waterford-Uniteds-financial-worries-eased-as-takeover-bid-nears-conclusion.html

Latest news on this front.

Acornvilla
28/10/2016, 11:04 PM
http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/irishfootball/7253571/Waterford-Uniteds-financial-worries-eased-as-takeover-bid-nears-conclusion.html

Latest news on this front.
Be some laugh if Munnely jumped ship from Longford to Waterford.

Martinho II
29/10/2016, 3:51 PM

I wouldnt be surprised tbh. I havent seen him at a longford town match in ages and I know for a fact that he was unhappy with the way Tony Cousins was runnin us to the ground. I am very worried all of a sudden as I reckon that we wont be in the runnin for the 1st division for a long time and the club have noone to blame but themselves if this happens.

wonder88
30/10/2016, 12:49 AM
Was Brian Kerr at Pats the last director of football in the league of Ireland. It will be interesting to observe how a continental type structure will work out for them. Fenlon is also an interesting choice for a club that will have an injection of money, or as the article puts in no more worries about the cash being there to pay bills.

Charlie Darwin
30/10/2016, 1:13 AM
Was Brian Kerr at Pats the last director of football in the league of Ireland. It will be interesting to observe how a continental type structure will work out for them. Fenlon is also an interesting choice for a club that will have an injection of money, or as the article puts in no more worries about the cash being there to pay bills.
Brian Laws was our DOF officially, but he was only ever there for two months so not really.

total hoofball
30/10/2016, 6:40 AM
Apparently it's Swindon Town chairman Lee Power who is the investor, bit of a controversial character to say the least

NeverFeltBetter
30/10/2016, 8:55 AM
I'd never heard of this guy, had a look at his Twitter feed. You are not kidding.

pineapple stu
30/10/2016, 9:31 AM
Was Brian Kerr at Pats the last director of football in the league of Ireland.
Pat Devlin is currently Director of Football at UCD.

sulywaterfordfc
30/10/2016, 9:42 AM
Another article upon this. Sounds as thou it's nearing
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/14831800.Is_Lee_Power_set_to_invest_in_Irish_club_/

Martinho II
30/10/2016, 2:56 PM
Apparently it's Swindon Town chairman Lee Power who is the investor, bit of a controversial character to say the least

is this the same Lee Power that played with Norwich City and an Ireland underage International?

edit: just seen the article. Remember him playin for Norwich in the mid 90s why is he so controversial?

wonder88
30/10/2016, 3:21 PM
Forgot about Pat Devlin, are UCD fans happy with this type of setup? Looks from outside to be working, but is 4th in First Division satisfactory.
Looks like exciting times ahead at Waterford, and also a progressive style of play(with wing backs etc) will also be implemented by the owner.

NeverFeltBetter
30/10/2016, 6:46 PM
Well, in the last 24 hours of his Twitter feed he mocks Swindon's manager and rather curtly tells fans who went to an away hiding they aren't getting refunds.

pineapple stu
31/10/2016, 8:44 AM
Forgot about Pat Devlin, are UCD fans happy with this type of setup? Looks from outside to be working, but is 4th in First Division satisfactory.
Looks like exciting times ahead at Waterford, and also a progressive style of play(with wing backs etc) will also be implemented by the owner.
Don't know much about the set-up to comment really.

Is 4th satisfactory? Would have been nice to have been promoted, but I guess if you lose Benson and Watts and still finish roughly in line with last season, it's not too bad a season. Add in the U-19s winning the league for the first time since 2009, and it's clear there's some good players coming through, so it's generally positive I think.

outspoken
31/10/2016, 10:52 AM
Just looking at his twitter. He's going to be a great addition to the League.

pineapple stu
31/10/2016, 11:09 AM
Are those twitter accounts not parodies?

There's two that say they are anyway - whether that means they actually are parodies, of course, is a different matter.

outspoken
31/10/2016, 1:31 PM
Are those twitter accounts not parodies?

There's two that say they are anyway - whether that means they actually are parodies, of course, is a different matter.

I hope they are parodies anyway. Well no, I hope they are real haha

littlebray
31/10/2016, 3:02 PM
Was Brian Kerr at Pats the last director of football in the league of Ireland.
Pat Devlin was DOF for long stretches towards the end of his time in Bray, and he joined UCD as DOF. As far as I know he is still DOF in Belfield.*

Sorry, just noticed someone got there ahead of me!

nigel-harps1954
31/10/2016, 3:22 PM
There's been lots of directors of football. Felix Healy was DOF at Harps a few years ago when Peter Hutton came in as manager.

sulywaterfordfc
03/11/2016, 8:34 AM
Announcement according to the club will be today

ToberonaTornado
03/11/2016, 9:05 AM
Announcement according to the club will be today

Via
Waterford
Whispers?

WoodquayBoy
03/11/2016, 1:47 PM
Immediate Release - Waterford United confirm takeover negotiations

Waterford United Football Club can confirm that negotiations are taking place with a overseas individual regarding a takeover of the club.

As negotiations are ongoing the club will be making no further comment at this point.

ENDS