PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v Georgia - Thursday, 6th October 2016 -World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DeLorean
20/09/2016, 10:06 AM
Squad to be named on Friday.

McCarthy and Gibson unlikely to feature so presumably Glenn the indestructible will rack up caps number 76 and 77.

I'm hoping but not expecting to see Hogan's name in the squad. A striker on top of his game is exactly what we need for these two matches.

BBC Football: Everton pair doubtful for World Cup qualifiers
(http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37412027)
Irish Examiner: Scott Hogan hat-trick gives Martin O'Neill plenty to ponder (http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/how-the-irish-fared-scott-hogan-hat-trick-gives-martin-oneill-plenty-to-ponder-421717.html)

DmanDmythDledge
20/09/2016, 3:13 PM
Does anyone know what the range of ticket prices are for this game? Ticketmaster site isn't loading for me at the moment.

DeLorean
20/09/2016, 3:18 PM
Upper tier and behind the goals seems to be nearly all €40. Lower tier by the sidelines are €50. Premium is €80.

DeLorean
20/09/2016, 9:23 PM
Eligibility thread for now I would think.

pineapple stu
21/09/2016, 9:26 AM
Upper tier and behind the goals seems to be nearly all €40. Lower tier by the sidelines are €50. Premium is €80.
That is very expensive, particularly given how crap the last game against Georgia was, and indeed how bloody awful the last match (in Serbia) was.

Will the crowd top 30k I wonder?

jbyrne
21/09/2016, 9:54 AM
That is very expensive, particularly given how crap the last game against Georgia was, and indeed how bloody awful the last match (in Serbia) was.

Will the crowd top 30k I wonder?

the season ticket that I have works out at about €32 per match and its not the most expensive ST available. you would pay at least twice that to an equivalent rugby international. If people want to buy on a match by match basis then they will pay a premium for it

nigel-harps1954
23/09/2016, 11:00 AM
Republic of Ireland Squad
Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Danny Rogers (Falkirk*)
Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce (Derby County) Paul McShane (Reading), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Marc Wilson (Bournemouth), Stephen Ward (Burnley)
Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Preston North End*), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), James McCarthy (Everton), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Stephen Quinn (Reading), David Meyler (Hull City), Conor Hourihane (Barnsley), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Stephen Gleeson (Birmingham City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Robbie Brady, Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Anthony Pilkington (Cardiff City), Jonathan Hayes (Aberdeen)
Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Newcastle United), Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids)

*Indicates player is currently on loan

tetsujin1979
23/09/2016, 11:06 AM
Doyle's injured at the moment, missed the Rapid's last game, but should be back in time
Rogers is an interesting one, supposed to be highly rated but two season on loan in the Scottish Championship isn't great preparation for international football.
Byrne can have no complaints if he can't get into the Blackburn team then he shouldn't be in the senior side

Egan is maybe the big omission, should be there ahead of Pearce.
Will McCarthy be fit in time?

Little disappointed that there's no Dundalk players in the squad

Other than that, no complaints about that squad

pineapple stu
23/09/2016, 11:08 AM
33 man squad all told - so presumably the likes of Hayes, Hourihane, Gleeson, etc, will get cut.

I'd forgotten about Pilkington - when was he last called up?

Never heard of Danny Rogers. Second tier of Scottish football isn't a great level, even if he did make the team of the season when Rangers, Hearts and Hibs were in there too. Still, almost more comfortable having him there than the other Rogers!

DeLorean
23/09/2016, 11:18 AM
Hourihane's inclusion is the most notable thing about that squad I think.

nigel-harps1954
23/09/2016, 11:19 AM
Presumably no Dundalk players down to fixture schedules. They're already cramming in stupid amounts of games into short periods of time so the last thing they need is an international break too and more games called off. Remember League of Ireland doesn't break for international games.

tetsujin1979
23/09/2016, 11:26 AM
In English lower league football, you can postpone a fixture if two (or possibly three?) of your squad are called up for international duty, is there something similar for League of Ireland? Although it's unlikely that amount of players from one club would be called up

pineapple stu
23/09/2016, 11:28 AM
There is - as Cork and Dundalk fans have been telling us for the past ages. One senior call-up would be enough. Can get a match called off for U-21 call ups.

Dundalk's issue is they don't really have any time to postpone games. The FAI are even talking about extending the season for them.

Dodge
23/09/2016, 11:34 AM
There is - as Cork and Dundalk fans have been telling us for the past ages. One senior call-up would be enough. Can get a match called off for U-21 call ups.

It's 2 players. They changed the rule after Cork had a game called off because Joe Gamble went to the US Cup.

Oh and it's not obligatory. Clubs have to ask for the games to be called off. Cork did this year with Maguire & O'Connor. Pats didn't last year with Hoare and Desmond (mainly as they had nothing to gain/lose)

pineapple stu
23/09/2016, 11:37 AM
Appreciate it's not obligatory alright. Didn't realise two was the criterion for senior call-ups though; thought it would be less than for underage call-ups.

nigel-harps1954
23/09/2016, 11:39 AM
The manger also said that a number of Dundalk players, thought to be Daryl Horgan and Garry Rogers, were not considered because of their hectic club schedule."I am in constant touch, with Stephen (Kenny), who is a very busy manager at this minute, they have issues with fixtures because of their success. Fantastic on one hand and pain on the other hand. I have to speak to Stephen.

"Horgan has done exceptionally well. In normal circumstances, he would have been in the provisional squad. Without a doubt. He was excellent in Holland, along with a number of other players. I would like to speak to Stephen (Kenny) before anything else."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/revealed-martin-oneill-finally-signs-ireland-contract-and-names-two-uncapped-players-in-his-squad-for-world-cup-qualifiers-35073057.html

Olé Olé
23/09/2016, 11:57 AM
Delighted for Hourihane. Disappointed for Doherty and Egan. Issue for Doherty is that MON probably doesn't need another full-back in the squad as he has Christie, Coleman, Ward and Brady (even Wilson and Clark). For Egan, I'm not sure if there's any point in having McShane and Pearce in there ahead of him. That's the disappointment there, for me anyway.

It's probably a bit too early for Hogan and apparently he has some rehabilitation scheduled during the international break. You can understand his hesitance there. Hopefully it'll be revisited in November.

seanfhear
23/09/2016, 12:06 PM
Good to give a young goalkeeper the experience of being in the squad .

Stuttgart88
23/09/2016, 12:27 PM
My only bone to pick with Ole Ole is that I am absolutely sure there is no point in having Pearse and McShane ahead of him.

Kingdom
23/09/2016, 12:47 PM
Republic of Ireland Squad

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Danny Rogers (Falkirk*)

I don't know whether it says more about me, or the FAI, that my first assumption was that they picked the wrong Rogers by mistake! It probably says a lot about me that my first inclination is that this is a surprise, although I'm struggling to think of a more qualified candidate instead, especially with Lawlor being injured

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce (Derby County) [/B] Paul McShane (Reading)[/B], John O'Shea (Sunderland), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Marc Wilson (Bournemouth), Stephen Ward (Burnley)

I suspect and hope McShane and Pearce are cut here. Considering he's not going to call up O'Shea to sit on the bench, there surely there isn't going to be a better time in the group to get a look at Egan, considering the opposition we face, especially to get a look-in at training. Doherty has to be close to the group now too, and I've consistently banged the drum for Greg Cunningham too, so no point stopping now.

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Preston North End*), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), James McCarthy (Everton), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Stephen Quinn (Reading), David Meyler (Hull City), Conor Hourihane (Barnsley), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Stephen Gleeson (Birmingham City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Robbie Brady, Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Anthony Pilkington (Cardiff City), Jonathan Hayes (Aberdeen)

Pilkington I've never been gone on, and to be honest, I think it's a slap in Daryl Horgan's face that he's not in the squad, fixture pile-up or no fixture pile-up. He's good enough for this level, and would offer us something that would allow Brady to be used more centrally.
I quite like our midfield options generally speaking now though, even if the central options are a touch magnolia. Hourihane finally gets called up which is great to see. Suspecting that McCarthy isn't fit, then I can only see Gleeson getting culled from the above

Arter hasn't started this season in the same form as last, but he's still a great option offensively; McGeady has started reasonably well for Preston, so he's definitely a live option, but in the system O'Neill in theory is espousing, I'm not really sure where McGeady fits, unless it's part of a more-central two behind a single striker.
On the flanks, I definitely would like to see something from O'Dowda, and Jonny Hayes - credit where it is due - and as much as I think McClean doesn't offer as much guile as some of his peers, he definitely is ultra-competent as part of a high-pressing front 3.
it is nice to see different options in midfield though.

Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Newcastle United), Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids)

Nothing to add except that if Hogan wasn't scheduled for rehab abroad in line with his recuperation from the cruciate, then he likely would be in the squad, as per Matt Ogden on Off the Ball on Weds night. It sounds like Ireland's proactivity in speaking to him - allied with the depth of strikers ahead of him for England - has won out, regardless of whether he has actually been capped yet or not. So that's nice to hear.

Olé Olé
23/09/2016, 1:04 PM
My only bone to pick with Ole Ole is that I am absolutely sure there is no point in having Pearse and McShane ahead of him.

You know what, I'd agree with you. I can't see any scenario in which I'd rather see Pearce anywhere ahead of Egan.

DeLorean
23/09/2016, 3:32 PM

I came across the ticket stub recently for Georgia in Croke Park in 2009.... €70!!!

€31 for the other Georgia match in Mainz and Italy away in the same campaign was a tenner.

jbyrne
23/09/2016, 4:03 PM
Italy away in the same campaign was a tenner.

we were miles from the action in bari and there were €70 seats on sale to Italians for that match.

DeLorean
23/09/2016, 4:58 PM
I was in with the Italians in the end. There was some kind of a weird drinking ban in the middle of the day and we ended up drinking vodka on the 'black market'. It hit my friend (who had the tickets) pretty hard and he wandered off without distributing the tickets and his phone battery went dead. We just headed out to the stadium in the hope that we'd meet him or at least get to purchase more tickets. We had no joy but about ten minutes into the game they opened a gate for the stadium to leave a bunch of kids in and we just went in as well. We had no seats though so we were just sitting at the feet of some Italian supporters. The atmosphere was pretty tense as well because they were upset at Pazzini getting sent off after a couple of minutes. Needless to say we remained muted when Keane equalised. Good times though. :D

MeathDrog
23/09/2016, 7:34 PM
Sorry, but who does Scott Hogan think he is. MON having to speak to his agent FFS.

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/09/2016, 8:57 PM
Sorry, but who does Scott Hogan think he is. MON having to speak to his agent FFS.

In fairness to him, he was injured 7 months ago. He can't meet MON or talk to him on the phone because he's rehabbing his injury.

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/09/2016, 9:07 PM
You know what the Hogan saga reminds me of?

A girlfriend who has stopped returning your calls, has deleted you as a friend on FB and has then blocked you on FB.

Yet you live in hope. Maybe she is too busy studying for that 10% continuous assessment and can't have any distractions. Yes, there are all those pictures of her on a night out with her friends appearing on your timeline. Maybe she's doing her thesis on Irish nightclubs? Yeah, that's it. And that picture of her where it looks like she's snogging some random guy? That's probably her brother. He's just back from Australia and she really, really missed him.

Totally understandable.

Fans who take Hogan's reasoning at face value are like that very understanding ex-boyfriend who doesn't know he's an ex-boyfriend yet.

So far the only encouraging thing from the Hogan saga is his "couldn't say no to Roy Keane" statement. And that's coming from someone (Hogan) who grew up supporting Manchester United.

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/09/2016, 9:17 PM
Hopefully if there is a midfielder sacrificed it's O'Kane or Gleeson rather than Hourihane.

Hourihane offers goals and assists in abundance, a threat from setpieces and leadership. He has more going for him than the other two lads even in terms of the grittier stuff.

I'm happy for Doyle to be involved again. We know what he can offer and that he can still offer it. Though I wouldn't have minded seeing Mason, E. Doyle, Sheridan or Rooney given a chance.

I think the most glaring omission is Egan. At least, as someone else pointed out, we have cover in Doherty & Cunningham's positions - though I think Cunningham, if not Doherty, is a safer option than Christie.

I don't get the argument that lads like McShane or Pearce should be retained due to squad consistency or harmony.

Egan is 24 next month. He has his best years in front of him, but he is no baby either. He has proven he has the maturity to step up to this level. Just bringing him in with a view to a November debut will help to lower the average age of the squad - which is absurdly old.

As I have pointed out, other teams have no problems integrating younger players in competitive games. Lads like Egan, Hourihane and Horgan have proven they're no shrinking violets. Throw them in. What's to lose.

How many more chances do Pearce, McShane et al. need to prove they are not a viable long-term option?

Stuttgart88
23/09/2016, 10:16 PM
Agree with most of that. Christie versus Doherty or Cunningham (a left back so not comparable) is a value judgment rather than an obvious error. I think Christie is OK.

Egan over the other two is a no brainier for many reasons.

Kevin Doyle's inclusion is definitely the right call in my opinion. He should have gone to France. That said, it's a bit simplistic to say other teams have no problem integrating younger players in competitive games, so we should too. That seems to presuppose that younger players' integration is by itself a good thing. I'd rather win an ugly game with a Kevin Doyle or Jon Walters winner than pick a rookie who plays well but we don't win. I'm not sure these other countries' qualification chances aren't as precarious as ours usually are.

tetsujin1979
23/09/2016, 11:29 PM

A girlfriend who has stopped returning your calls, has deleted you as a friend on FB and has then blocked you on FB.

Yet you live in hope. Maybe she is too busy studying for that 10% continuous assessment and can't have any distractions. Yes, there are all those pictures of her on a night out with her friends appearing on your timeline. Maybe she's doing her thesis on Irish nightclubs? Yeah, that's it. And that picture of her where it looks like she's snogging some random guy? That's probably her brother. He's just back from Australia and she really, really missed him.

Totally understandable.

Fans who take Hogan's reasoning at face value are like that very understanding ex-boyfriend who doesn't know he's an ex-boyfriend yet.

So far the only encouraging thing from the Hogan saga is his "couldn't say no to Roy Keane" statement. And that's coming from someone (Hogan) who grew up supporting Manchester United.
If she's blocked you on facebook, you won't see her photos in your timeline. Unless you have another account that she doesn't know about that's connected to hers. Which would make you a stalker.

Charlie Darwin
24/09/2016, 12:32 AM

You've completely overshared here.

TheOneWhoKnocks
24/09/2016, 12:40 AM
If she's blocked you on facebook, you won't see her photos in your timeline. Unless you have another account that she doesn't know about that's connected to hers. Which would make you a stalker.

I think you would still be able to see pictures of her on your timeline if she was in a photo with a mutual friend; it just wouldn't be tagged.

*And it was all a metaphor.

ger121
24/09/2016, 10:02 AM
I have an issue myself with the Horgan exclusion, or more to the point, O'Neill's statement that he'd be in the provisional squad if he didn't have so many games. Either you're in or you are not if you are good enough. Shane Long is also playing EL games along with League matches but that's not an issue. Granted maybe not quite the same number but that excuse from O'Neill is a poor one and disrespectful to Horgan.

DeLorean
24/09/2016, 10:47 AM
I don't think Dundalk's fixture schedule is comparable to any other clubs at the moment to be fair. Maybe he should have still got a call up but in the unlikely event of him making the final squad or seeing game time maybe there's some sense in waiting until November, when things have settled down.

tetsujin1979
24/09/2016, 11:45 AM
I have an issue myself with the Horgan exclusion, or more to the point, O'Neill's statement that he'd be in the provisional squad if he didn't have so many games. Either you're in or you are not if you are good enough. Shane Long is also playing EL games along with League matches but that's not an issue. Granted maybe not quite the same number but that excuse from O'Neill is a poor one and disrespectful to Horgan.
Southampton's fixtures will pause for the international break, Dundalk's won't.

tetsujin1979
24/09/2016, 11:56 AM
I think you would still be able to see pictures of her on your timeline if she was in a photo with a mutual friend; it just wouldn't be tagged.

*And it was all a metaphor.
https://frinkiac.com/meme/S05E11/1313811.jpg?b64lines=Q2hpZWYgV2lnZ3VtOiBOTywgTk8uI ApESUcgVVAsIFNUVVBJRC4=

Stuttgart88
24/09/2016, 12:06 PM
Since when has the Hogan thing become a "saga"? Some people get outraged over so little

Stuttgart88
24/09/2016, 12:11 PM
I have an issue myself with the Horgan exclusion, or more to the point, O'Neill's statement that he'd be in the provisional squad if he didn't have so many games. Either you're in or you are not if you are good enough. Shane Long is also playing EL games along with League matches but that's not an issue. Granted maybe not quite the same number but that excuse from O'Neill is a poor one and disrespectful to Horgan.Shane Long doesn't have some of the most important games in the club's history coming thick and fast though. I think O'Neill's position is actually quite respectful to Stephen Kenny and Dundalk, and probably also to Horgan. He has given him the recognition he deserves by saying he'd be in the provisional squad if circumstances were different. I'm with the manager on this one. There are some good players who probably won't make the final squad.

TheOneWhoKnocks
24/09/2016, 12:22 PM
https://frinkiac.com/meme/S05E11/1313811.jpg?b64lines=Q2hpZWYgV2lnZ3VtOiBOTywgTk8uI ApESUcgVVAsIFNUVVBJRC4=

I am the most self-deprecating person I know. I have many humiliating stories about myself that I enjoy telling. Real dinner party and water cooler stuff. But that isn't one of them. It was clearly intended as a metaphor.

TheOneWhoKnocks
24/09/2016, 12:27 PM
Since when has the Hogan thing become a "saga"? Some people get outraged over so little

It's gaining traction.

Some people manage to simultaneously defend Hogan's excuse over his disinterest in being called up, and castigate MON for not calling him up in May when he was interested in a call up (even though he has never made a statement to that effect).

Do those two things not conflict?

He was supposedly feeling okay enough to be called up in May, yet come September his knees need to be rehabbed.

Some people seem to think the magic ingredient is just calling up guys like Bamford and Hogan as soon as they make several appearances at senior club level, and then they'll be ours forever more.

The FAI couldn't be any more proactive with this really but still the onus always has to be on them and not the players.

Bamford has been called up at U-19 level and Hogan was called up to the U-21's before dropping out.

The FAI couldn't be any more proactive and accommodating.

tetsujin1979
24/09/2016, 1:46 PM
I am the most self-deprecating person I know. I have many humiliating stories about myself that I enjoy telling. Real dinner party and water cooler stuff. But that isn't one of them. It was clearly intended as a metaphor.

dg8NPPEms54

DeLorean
24/09/2016, 2:01 PM
I can just picture those dinner parties. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTnD40xvSeM)

Stuttgart88
24/09/2016, 7:40 PM
It's gaining traction.

Some people manage to simultaneously defend Hogan's excuse over his disinterest in being called up, and castigate MON for not calling him up in May when he was interested in a call up (even though he has never made a statement to that effect).

Do those two things not conflict?

He was supposedly feeling okay enough to be called up in May, yet come September his knees need to be rehabbed.

Some people seem to think the magic ingredient is just calling up guys like Bamford and Hogan as soon as they make several appearances at senior club level, and then they'll be ours forever more.

The FAI couldn't be any more proactive with this really but still the onus always has to be on them and not the players.

Bamford has been called up at U-19 level and Hogan was called up to the U-21's before dropping out.

The FAI couldn't be any more proactive and accommodating.
You've written more in one post than almost anyone hasxin the media. He's an eligible player nursing an injury who respects Roy Keane and hasn't issued a come and get me plea, nor has he said he wouldn't play for us. Hardly a saga.

SkStu
24/09/2016, 10:11 PM
I can just picture those dinner parties. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTnD40xvSeM)

Was thinking more like this... https://youtu.be/BabsgCQhpu4

TOWK = Jon Snow

OwlsFan
28/09/2016, 12:42 PM

I didn't look at it (work and all that) but I just wanted to be the person to give you your 2000th "thanked". Congratulations.

DeLorean
28/09/2016, 1:24 PM
Ha! Nice one. Wasn't there a foot.ie catastrophe at some point where all the 'thanked' data was reset? And before that there wasn't a thanks feature at all, so we're all being sold a bit short really. :)

BonnieShels
28/09/2016, 2:37 PM
Ha! Nice one. Wasn't there a foot.ie catastrophe at some point where all the 'thanked' data was reset? And before that there wasn't a thanks feature at all, so we're all being sold a bit short really. :)
You keep telling yourself that.

---

I can't imagine tthere would be too many whimsical japes at a TOWK party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC0968-36s4

---

On Horgan; there was a brilliant discussion on OTB last night about where the consensus was that it was much ado about nothing. This is a panel including Kevin Kilbane (much respected Irish soccer legend) and Daniel McDonnell (much respected Irish soccer journalist who writes about LOI and everything else). And that Kenny Shiels is off his nut.

pineapple stu
28/09/2016, 2:41 PM
Only Mr A really got screwed, with his puppy post.

And no harm in that really.

BonnieShels
28/09/2016, 2:50 PM
I don't think Dundalk's fixture schedule is comparable to any other clubs at the moment to be fair. Maybe he should have still got a call up but in the unlikely event of him making the final squad or seeing game time maybe there's some sense in waiting until November, when things have settled down.

This was the consensus.

Imagine bringing him over to Moldova to sit on the bench all the while he's got EL and FAI Cup this week. Madness to think otherwise.

backstothewall
02/10/2016, 9:57 PM
Aberdeen twitter account says Adam Rooney has been added to the squad. Replaces Doyle presumably.

https://twitter.com/AberdeenFC/status/782683514881904640