PDA

View Full Version : RTE/eL

Roo69
01/02/2005, 1:19 PM
Just got a message through from the text service saying that John Delaney has revealed that the negotiations are ongoing with RTE about an "innovative and exciting" rights deal for the eL. An announcement is expected in the coming weeks.

Hopefully will be great news for all concerened ! :D

Another Link from RTE (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0201/ireland.html)

BohDiddley
01/02/2005, 1:35 PM
Here's hoping.
What text service is that?

Roo69
01/02/2005, 1:38 PM
Here's hoping.
What text service is that?

Its the Bray text service provided by BlackDog Communications. I think they do all the text services for the clubs ?

harpskid
01/02/2005, 2:25 PM
From fai.ie

The Football Association of Ireland has agreed a new 4-year TV rights contract with RTE. The new agreement was described by FAI Chief Executive Officer, John Delaney as “a very substantial and significant one for football in Ireland”.

The agreement provides live TV broadcasting rights to RTE for all Irish senior international home competitive games until the completion of the World Cup qualifying games for World Cup 2010. RTE also gains rights to transmit on a deferred basis, coverage of all senior home international friendly fixtures in the same period. Radio rights are also included in the 4-year term of the agreement.

“This is an excellent deal for the FAI, for football and for supporters of the game”, he said. “The new agreement will enable the FAI to continue a very significant programme of investment in the game in Ireland and signals a renewed and strong relationship with RTE”, Delaney added.

“The fee involved is a significant increase on the current arrangement and reflects a very strong market value and improving stature for Irish international football TV rights”, he said.

Mr Delaney also said that negotiations for an innovative and exciting package for the domestic game are at an advanced stage. A detailed announcement should be finalised in the coming weeks, he added.

BohDiddley
01/02/2005, 2:30 PM
Mr Delaney also said that negotiations for an innovative and exciting package for the domestic game are at an advanced stage. A detailed announcement should be finalised in the coming weeks, he added.
Should have been a pre-condition for the internationals.

dcfcsteve
01/02/2005, 4:56 PM

Agree, but lets give him a chance. Will be interesting to see what package RTE come up with. Given that Delaney is desperately trying to get the CEO role full-time, it'd be suicide to talk it up in such terms if he didn't think he could deliver.

Maybe this is the way forward for the FAI - have everyone in their role on a caretaker basis. Seems to give them a huge incentive to actually get something done.... :D

gufcfan
01/02/2005, 5:06 PM
shud have a go at doing the eircom league.

Dey done a great job on the spl, excepting all the feckin rangers games that they broadcast

They broadcast leinster schools rugby matches live.
Theyre havin a laugh. they'll never break even on that.

Fair play for them gettin the Formula 1 tho.

Was that red biro story involving sligo rovers and their licence application actually true?

harry crumb
01/02/2005, 5:24 PM
Does that mean that TV3 will lose the rights to show the highlights programme. TV3 need a kick up the hole too.

Gary
01/02/2005, 5:49 PM
^^^

TV3 for such a young station have done a very good job on extremely limited resources.

Slash/ED
01/02/2005, 6:13 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

I hope RTE don't get exclusive rights to the EL and ignore it, denying Setanta the chance to show the league games they said they would.

pete
01/02/2005, 9:16 PM
I hope RTE don't get exclusive rights to the EL and ignore it, denying Setanta the chance to show the league games they said they would.

Hard to see how they could give RTE exclusive rights as its not as if RTE will show a game a week or anything.

I'd say Setanta will be desparate to fill their schedule. I know they only in infancy but jebus they do like to show repeats. I don't even waste my time shuffling thru NTL Digital list on weekdays as feck all besides repeats or repeated rugby :eek:

I think i read that Cogley aiming for minimum of 1 live event per evening so Setanta Cup fits in nicely for quiet Monday & Tuesday nights.

harry crumb
01/02/2005, 11:21 PM
^^^

TV3 for such a young station have done a very good job on extremely limited resources.

What have they done that is so great exactly?

Excuse the sarcasm.

They put the thing on at 11.35 on a Monday night and show a repeat the following morning at 5.35. How convenient.

They have 1 camera at every match. Every is not a suitable word.

They allow Roddy Collins to analyse the games.

They had 1 live game last year. What about the 5 promised every year mantra.

Production values have gone from ok to crap. (we used to have fans forum, now we only have goal of the season)

Goal of the season ( inclucing a goal that was ruled offside)

I just think the league deserves more! For too long we have accepted average as good enough. Setanta has given RTE and TV3 a big phunt up the hole with regards their sports coverage. They needed it.

A face
02/02/2005, 12:13 AM
For too long we have accepted average as good enough.

That was always THE problem .... as long as RTE were getting away with it, it was always going to be them .... getting away with it.

And why oh why does everyone think we got a golden ticket this time around ? What has changed ? Why have RTE got this change of heart, because of the pressure that Setanta are putting on ...... come off the stage FFS ...... this is the same crowd who told their staff to say that "TV3 now have the rights to eL games so we cant show them" because TV3 were showing some highlights at nearly midnight, while RTE ALWAYS had the rights.

They give about not being able to show the national games because they lose out on huge advert money (all the while claiming to be a national broadcaster) and then saying 'we agree whole-heartedly' to show eL games ... pen to paper ... nothing happens.

The only thing that will work is something that was never tried before

For too long we have accepted average as good enough.

Domestic Football should NOT accept it and make an comprehensive effort to illustrate that. Crying to RTE wont do it ..... Demanding that we get value for a license fee that we have to pay hasn't been tried and that is a consumer issue and should be treat so. If the licence fee is threatened then that should put the frighteners on them ..... and the FAI if it did actually change the situation.

trevy
02/02/2005, 8:05 AM
I agree with Harry Crumb and A face.Tv3 have not done a good job with the Eircom League.The least we should expect is a highlights programme at a reasonable day and time,not 11.30 on a Monday night.Bbc NI show Irish league goals round up at 5 on a Saturday afternoon and also have a season ticket programme on Monday nights at 10 I think that rounds up weekend sport.Why can't we have the same?
Also we should have cameras at every game in Premier not some games ignored.Its up to the FAI and the league to make sure good coverage is given of the domestic league to try improve it.

pete
02/02/2005, 8:39 AM
eL weekly looks liie being produced by "studio" the likes seen in Waynes World. Been debated before so not going to list out all their failings.

RTE have to produce a sort of manifesto schedule on yearly basis to justify licence fee increases. While i doubt the eL mentioned in name we probably come under some sort of domestic sport heading. Also RTE have got very good ratings for some high profile eL games in the last couple of years so are probably looking to exploit that.

joey B
02/02/2005, 9:34 AM
What have they done that is so great exactly?

Excuse the sarcasm.

They put the thing on at 11.35 on a Monday night and show a repeat the following morning at 5.35. How convenient.

They have 1 camera at every match. Every is not a suitable word.

They allow Roddy Collins to analyse the games.

They had 1 live game last year. What about the 5 promised every year mantra.

Production values have gone from ok to crap. (we used to have fans forum, now we only have goal of the season)

Goal of the season ( inclucing a goal that was ruled offside)

I just think the league deserves more! For too long we have accepted average as good enough. Setanta has given RTE and TV3 a big phunt up the hole with regards their sports coverage. They needed it.

Dont forget Trevor Welch is an absoulute tosser watching him trying to create "banter" with the guests is painful sometimes :mad:

A face
02/02/2005, 10:54 AM
Its up to the FAI

There in lies the problem !! :mad:

michaelguineys
02/02/2005, 12:40 PM
Dont forget Trevor Welch is an absoulute tosser watching him trying to create "banter" with the guests is painful sometimes :mad:

Ah leave poor ol' Big Trev alone! I think he's good. Always tries to get in a good word bout city to annoy that ghoul King!!