PDA

View Full Version : Portadown Vs Rovers....trouble

thecorner
01/02/2005, 12:02 AM
Rovers led 2-0 at half time but a weakened Portadown team came back to draw 2-2. Game overshadowed by a brick been thrown at the Rovers bus.

A face
01/02/2005, 1:04 AM
[Face, the Carraig-na-bhfear comment was particularly ignorant - I have friends living out there as it happens - and the "sell thick" comments are pure baiting, and you know it. Cop yourself on if you want to remain a mod please. --adam]

Longfordian
01/02/2005, 1:39 AM
Met a couple of Portadown officials recently and they were genuinely nice people, we played a friendly up there last pre-season and there wasn't a minute's bother seemingly, everybody was very sound to our team and officials..we may be playing them again this pre-season now that we've avoided them in the Setanta..I've never met their fans but I don't see any trouble at Setanta games, there's too much at stake for everyone to let it happen

drinkfeckarse
01/02/2005, 7:45 AM
No sell-thick should be let into the ground !!

Not that it bothers me at all, but considering how uptight everyone gets when Waterford fans call City "C A W K", isn't this a case of double standards :confused: . FFS it's even banned on this board!! :rolleyes:

Pat O' Banton
01/02/2005, 7:59 AM
All the port fans (on the net, good cross section i tupose) seem sound ...... and if there is trouble, i will put money on it being some toothless fúckwit wearing a sell-thick top from Carrig-na-bhfear (spelling?) or some place stupid like that !!

The club need to be on the ball with this and ban all mindless fúckwits from the ground for life if they even look like they thought of trouble. Cant give these fools any leighway. No sell-thick should be let into the ground !!

A brick was thrown at the Rovers bus, according to The Corner's post so why would someone at the game supporting Rovers do this?

I take it you remember Clitonville fans having their buses wrecked on the way to Portadown. So much so that very few ever venture down their anymore. Seriously A Face this isn't an issue to be brought down to speculation because you don't like a team.

In case you need your mind jogged on the incident.

http://www.theredsgazette.tk/

Click on the box named 'the club' then on the link to 'paranoia?' Then you can find out about the lovely Portadown support.

ccfcman
01/02/2005, 8:07 AM
[ccfcman, this is not how you handle problems on Foot.ie. Your complaint was noted and will be dealt with, now either add face to your ignore list or just keep your mouth shut. --adam]

tiktok
01/02/2005, 8:59 AM
Some of the portadown guys have been on corkcityfc already and it was a 13 year old kid who threw the brick, he was outside the ground and threw it in, he was caught immediately and it's being dealt with.
There was no trouble inside the ground, and I don't expect to see any when we go up there. Chill out a small bit.

Colm
01/02/2005, 10:09 AM
In fairness to A face, the point he was making was actually spot on.
It's not really the Portadown fans themselves we have to worry about it's more a few of the knuckle dragging locals who'll be out to kick the sh!t out of some southerners. Portadown is not a particularly nice or welcoming town by all accounts, that's no reflection on the club but only on some of the people who inhabit the area.

Someone on the corkcityfc.ie forum made a good point about how hopefully this little incident will stay out of the press because if the bus companies get wind of it we haven't a hope of running a couple of buses up there.

pete
01/02/2005, 10:11 AM
The trip to Portadown is long enough to only attract the diehard city fans. Hopefully it'll discourage any daytrippers looking to cause travel just to cause trouble.

WeAreRovers
01/02/2005, 10:13 AM
"Portadown Vs Rovers....trouble"

The Corner - I'd say you just loved posting that heading. :rolleyes:

KOH

Peadar
01/02/2005, 10:16 AM
The Corner - I'd say you just loved posting that heading. :rolleyes:

Do you have anything constructive to add?

A face
01/02/2005, 1:05 PM
It's not really the Portadown fans themselves we have to worry

That is the gist of what i was trying to say .... admittedly i could have used a better choice of words. I am sorry if i upset anyone .... i hold my hands up !!
People .... as you've found out, i am only human afterall.

WeAreRovers
01/02/2005, 1:34 PM
or their fans laying a wreath at Loughgall

What's wrong with laying a wreath at Loughgall? Or is an SAS massacre acceptable now? I sincerely hope not but if the current demonisation of Bobby Sands is anything to go by nothing would surprise me.

KOH

Éanna
01/02/2005, 1:35 PM
the simple fact is that games like these could well attract the once-a-year crowd who only go to matches looking for a scrap. that much is true. we se it ourselves at the cross every time rovers are in town, there's a bunch of scumbags who you won't see at a game until rovers next come down- and they're not dubs. Its up to all true fans (of city and fans of other clubs) to make this competition work, by not tolerating any **** from anyone. And labelling and stereotyping people won't help anyone

eoinh
01/02/2005, 2:33 PM
we se it ourselves at the cross every time rovers are in town, there's a bunch of scumbags who you won't see at a game until rovers next come down- and they're not dubs.

Too true, unfortunately.

Pat O' Banton
01/02/2005, 2:39 PM
Would trouble between Portadown and Cliftonville have anything to do with their fans unveiling a tricolour with IRA written across it on the Cliftonville bus

Don't remember hearing that at the time or indeed since, however you may or may or not be right. However it should be remembered that the buses had several kids on them (one of which I seem to remember was narrowly missed by a brick) equally from the description on The Red Gazette website it seemed more of an organised protest then simply spur of the moment. Maybe you'd like to e-mail The Red Gazette directly to confirm or deny you points.

sylvo
01/02/2005, 11:17 PM
Don't remember hearing that at the time or indeed since, however you may or may or not be right. However it should be remembered that the buses had several kids on them (one of which I seem to remember was narrowly missed by a brick) equally from the description on The Red Gazette website it seemed more of an organised protest then simply spur of the moment. Maybe you'd like to e-mail The Red Gazette directly to confirm or deny you points.

Sure Pat why would he do that, sure would that not get in the way of a wind up and after all those chuckys from Belfast must have deserved it in his book.

Heard from some Cliftonville mates who were at the game, who said that all the buses were supporters club buses and the one that got the worst of the attack was the players familys bus (maybe one of the players kids had a Provo fit on the way to the ground :rolleyes: ), i'm sure this side of the story didn't make the Irish/British media down in Ballynawestbrit county Kerry.

I'm sure the Monaghan GAA fans who were passing by Portadown on buses coming back from Casement Park a couple years ago in which they also suffered an attack by thugs with bricks and rocks must also have been acting the Provo in his book to have that happen to them.

lopez
02/02/2005, 9:20 PM
Look lads: If they're not in the Free State, they're not f*cking Irish. Cop yourself on willya, Sylvs! ;)

OneRedArmy
03/02/2005, 12:26 AM
Without wanting to turn this into a CliftonVILE thread, almost all the trouble thats been caused in the Brandy since we joined the LOI has been caused by a group of Cliftonville fans "supporting" Rovers when they play us.

Having been to Portadown more than enough times, as well as having seen enough IL games to know which teams I don't like, I'm well aware by now that Portadown is a bitter hole of a place and I wouldn't go out of my way to visit it. BUT the shiny shellsuit and cheap jewellery wearing crowd from Belfast are no angels as well and the association of some of their fans with Rovers is well known.

Bottom line is while there might be the potential for the odd bit of aggro, I'm sure the vast majority of Portydown fans will welcome Cork and I wouldn't let it put you off travelling.

Prob best not be waving the tricolours around all the same, but then you'd tell the Portadown fans the same in Cork with the Union Jacks....

Plastic man
06/02/2005, 12:18 PM
What's wrong with laying a wreath at Loughgall? Or is an SAS massacre acceptable now? I sincerely hope not but if the current demonisation of Bobby Sands is anything to go by nothing would surprise me.

KOH

LMAO! massacre? PIRA unit on active duty had just blown up the police station in Loughgall, were also armed then came unstuck when confronted by the SAS!

piratemousey
06/02/2005, 12:43 PM
exactly spot on.
if youre going to live by the bullet expect to die by it too.

Pat O' Banton
07/02/2005, 5:11 PM
Without wanting to turn this into a CliftonVILE thread, almost all the trouble thats been caused in the Brandy since we joined the LOI has been caused by a group of Cliftonville fans "supporting" Rovers when they play us.

Having been to Portadown more than enough times, as well as having seen enough IL games to know which teams I don't like, I'm well aware by now that Portadown is a bitter hole of a place and I wouldn't go out of my way to visit it. BUT the shiny shellsuit and cheap jewellery wearing crowd from Belfast are no angels as well and the association of some of their fans with Rovers is well known.

You seen Cliftonville fans act loopy, I've seen them be some of the best and most welcoming fans I've ever met. Does this have any bearing on Portadown people attacking Cliftonville buses before they had a chance to get to the ground?

Indeed they have an association with Rovers, as was pointed out to me quite proudly by a balding Cliftonville fan in his fourties, who wore neither shell suit or Ralf Lauren, (indeed he may have been in Farah slacks :eek: ) and was most certainly up for wrecking the Brandywell or any other ground in the north. Anyway I'll say no more as this is the Cork City page.

sylvo
07/02/2005, 10:19 PM
Before getting all wound up, try reading my post again. Not scanning it, getting too excited and rushing back with an ill thought out response, but actually reading it.

I specifically said I've no real problem with whatever Cliftonville fans do - it certainly is no better or worse than what a lot of fans of clubs do. Just merely pointing out the extremely obvious, that such actions could add to the tension, but certainly not making any judgment of Cliftonville fans at all nor suggesting that they deserve any hassle.

It's more than a little silly to write a 12 line response, replete with unfunny references to 'Ballynwestbrit county Kerry', to a point I never made in the first place.

It seemed to sound pretty clear to me Conor my man, firstly Cliftonville fans have had to pay on a few occasions for that colourful power walking team and hangers on not getting their own way with regarding the Drumcree situation.

On a number of occasions roads into grounds have been blocked by local residents stopping them from getting to games, as well as buses being attacked by organised gangs, so this whole thing of waving Tricolour's with IRA on them is a bit over the top.

I read most of the reports from the Northern papers after that incident where the buses were attacked and none of them say anything about anything other then thugs attacking football fans on buses with rocks and bricks. Maybe the media in the South may have seen it totally different. Wouldn't be the first time. ;)

CollegeTillIDie
07/02/2005, 10:29 PM
Look lads: If they're not in the Free State,
Where is that Lopez pray tell? The Irish Free State has not existed since 1949 !

they're not f*cking Irish. Cop yourself on willya, Sylvs! ;)

I would refer you to Article 2 (as amended) of Bunreacht na hEireann as regards what constitutes Irish.

lopez
08/02/2005, 8:42 AM
Before getting all wound up, try reading my post again. Not scanning it, getting too excited and rushing back with an ill thought out response, but actually reading it.

I specifically said I've no real problem with whatever Cliftonville fans do - it certainly is no better or worse than what a lot of fans of clubs do. Just merely pointing out the extremely obvious, that such actions could add to the tension, but certainly not making any judgment of Cliftonville fans at all nor suggesting that they deserve any hassle.Unless you were trying to be sarcastic and failing miserably, I thought your original post was straight to the point. '...a tricolour with IRA written across it on the Cliftonville bus...' without a offering a source for this information (take it you weren't there) and claiming 'they have a certain tradition.' I always thought that Cliftonville were a Protestant run team to which geographics - and the dissolution of Belfast's largest Catholic club - have transformed into a team with a large Catholic support. Is this officially sanctioned because of 'tradition'?

Imagine the response here if I were to smear all tans with the FACT that game after game their fans bring along flags of the UVF (who murdered six Irish fans watching the Ireland v Italy game in 1994, but then as they were all from outside the free state that's OK*) or flags supplemented with Volunteer Force to their home town as that tw*t who was pictured in amongst the scum ten years ago at Lansdowne Road. Pictures which have appeared in 442 or live on TV last summer from Portugal and yet nothing is done to remove them. LOL. :D The sanctimonious finger pointing from yourself, Macy, DG and the other self-appointed guardians against bigotry in Ireland would have me in tears. :rolleyes: No, Lopez, tut, tut, tut, you're generalising, bogitted (sic.), chip on shoulder, etc. Wonderful fans these. I think that's where the Ballywestbrit comes in.

Where is that Lopez pray tell? The Irish Free State has not existed since 1949 !
It exists in many people's minds, both on this board and in Ireland generally. I heard while over in the US in 1994 that Eamon Dopey, while in a Manhatten bar, spotted a group of Northerners and asked what they were doing in New York. When they replied 'to watch our country play' he told them that he thought NI had not qualified. Educated (allegedly) man like that and coming out with this a piece of ingorance.

I would refer you to Article 2 (as amended) of Bunreacht na hEireann as regards what constitutes Irish.Didn't you catch my sarcasm there? Apologies but it seems as woefully useless as Conor's attempts at it were. I've put an asterisk above for you to point out where I'm trying to be sarcastic again, as I am trying here too. :o :o :rolleyes:

Gary
08/02/2005, 3:20 PM
This argument is going around in circles, and seems to have little, if anything to do with CCFC.

Thread closed.