PDA

View Full Version : Gary Rogers in Ireland squad

Pages : [1] 2 3

seand
30/08/2016, 1:26 PM
Interesting piece in the Indo. Martin O'Neill wants Rogers in the squad for the friendly v Oman tomorrow (fair enough) AND the World Cup qualifier in Serbia on Monday. I presume Rogers won't be involved v Crumlin tonight- he wouldn't have started anyway- but Dundalk are away to Bohs on Friday and away to Sligo on Tuesday. Gabriel Sava is good cover but hasn't played a lot. This is an extra complication we weren't expecting.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/dundalk-goalkeeper-gary-rogers-gets-ireland-callup-after-strong-european-displays-35007124.html

El-Pietro
30/08/2016, 1:50 PM
Sorta hilarious if Dundalk drop points against Bohs on Friday after scrambling to move the game and screwing Wexford in the process. They will probably still win.

Ezeikial
30/08/2016, 1:58 PM
Sorta hilarious if Dundalk drop points against Bohs on Friday after scrambling to move the game and screwing Wexford in the process. They will probably still win.

"scrambling"? - as in move quickly, in some type of desperation?

Strange description of how the FAI reacted to a problem caused by Cork seeking fixture postponements

nigel-harps1954
30/08/2016, 1:59 PM
Is Brian Murphy signed up? He's a far better goalkeeper than Rogers anyway.

El-Pietro
30/08/2016, 2:15 PM
"scrambling"? - as in move quickly, in some type of desperation?

Strange description of how the FAI reacted to a problem caused by Cork seeking fixture postponements

We didnt cause any problem. We had two players called up by the FAI to the Under 21 squad. As per the rules we requested that these games were postponed.

Where in the rules does it say a League game can be moved so that another League game can be played?

TheBoss
30/08/2016, 2:20 PM
If you were to pick Dundalk players to be called up to the Ireland squad, Rogers would be a little bit down that list imo. I wonder the reasons why some of the better Dundalk players were ignored and Rogers was not (even if it was as a replacement)? Maybe the hectic schedule or O'Neill thinks they are not good enough for call up at minimum.

GCdfc
30/08/2016, 2:22 PM

Do you have some inside knowledge of how the Bohs\Dundalk\Wexford situation happened? If so, please enlighten me as I must have missed where it was stated factually that Dundalk were responsible for the situation.

White Horse
30/08/2016, 2:29 PM
Where in the rules does it say a League game can be moved so that another League game can be played?

The FAI moves in mysterious ways.

They would probably argue there is no rule preventing such a change.

In any event Dundalk are happy, they have a game on Friday. Cork are happy not to have to play two games.

El-Pietro
30/08/2016, 2:35 PM
Do you have some inside knowledge of how the Bohs\Dundalk\Wexford situation happened? If so, please enlighten me as I must have missed where it was stated factually that Dundalk were responsible for the situation.

I don't, but the whole situation is rubbish for Wexford. I thought it was the LSC game and didn't pay too much attention, but moving a league game stinks.

White Horse
30/08/2016, 2:39 PM
If you were to pick Dundalk players to be called up to the Ireland squad, Rogers would be a little bit down that list imo. I wonder the reasons why some of the better Dundalk players were ignored and Rogers was not (even if it was as a replacement)? Maybe the hectic schedule or O'Neill thinks they are not good enough for call up at minimum.

Probably the latter, to be honest.

GCdfc
30/08/2016, 2:46 PM
I don't, but the whole situation is rubbish for Wexford. I thought it was the LSC game and didn't pay too much attention, but moving a league game stinks.

Have Wexford issued a statement saying it was done without their approval? Without evidence your anger is unfounded. I wouldn't want Wexford to be shafted either but we have no knowledge of what actually went on in the halls of Abbotstown.

paul_oshea
30/08/2016, 3:28 PM

Read the Irish Times article, he suggested because of their fixture pileup otherwise he would have called a few up to training with the Ireland squad.

If you see how he picked Rogers earlier in the summer and has now called him up, it must be disappointing for those players he was thinking of calling up - even if they don't know who they are, they could hazard a fair guess.

Dodge
30/08/2016, 6:44 PM
Well they needed a keeper and Daryl Horgan is unproven there so they went with Rogers

ger121
30/08/2016, 8:31 PM
It's good to see any LOI player in an Ireland Squad. Hope he gets some game time vs Oman.

fionnsci
30/08/2016, 9:28 PM
I'd say there's a decent chance he'll get game time against Oman, he's been called into the squad as cover a few times now, often just to make up the numbers so it'd be a nice reward for him. It'd be nice for us to see a LOI player capped too. Joe Gamble the last on the US tour though Brian Murphy was called in as keeping cover by Trapattoni.

vinnie
31/08/2016, 1:53 PM
I think Rogers deserves at least 20 mins, this is the third or fourth time he's been called on, fair is fair, give him a run

ger121
31/08/2016, 8:06 PM
Don't think Rogers will be getting on with Randolph on after HT. Makes no sense that one.

gufcfan
31/08/2016, 8:42 PM
I think Rogers deserves at least 20 mins, this is the third or fourth time he's been called on, fair is fair, give him a run

Ireland caps shouldn't be given out because "ah he deserves it". And no, it's the second call-up he has gotten. I'm happy for him, but it's a token gesture. Forde left because he obviously wasn't going to be called upon, the same as Rogers.

oldyouth
31/08/2016, 8:47 PM
We didnt cause any problem. We had two players called up by the FAI to the Under 21 squad. As per the rules we requested that these games were postponed.

Precisely :(

oldyouth
31/08/2016, 8:53 PM
I have it on good authority that the FAI announced the fixture change at 10.20pm on Saturday. By the time it was discovered, the Club lodged an objection to be told, "sorry, we cannot change this decision within 6 days of the proposed fixture". We were shafted without the muscle to call them on it. Childish behaviour by muppets

fionnsci
31/08/2016, 10:02 PM
Logically, it was better to give Westwood and Randolph game time. They're obviously the top two keepers. Westwood hasn't had much action for Ireland, Randolph hasn't had much action for West Ham. Still, would have loved to see Rogers play.

marinobohs
01/09/2016, 8:52 AM
delighted for Rogers just sorry he didn't get game time.

On the Dundalk / Wexford / Bohs fiasco, very hard (perhaps unreasonably so, on Wexford) but for years we have been giving out about the FAI / League not helping our teams in Europe - there is at least one thread every year on here about it. In this case Dundalk, due to Europa league, are facing a fixture crisis and, however cackhandedly it was done I presume this is to assist them.

A lot more respect is due to Wexford and they should (as should all clubs involved) be involved in the decision making process but a lot needs to be done to address the Dundalk fixture pile up, and it needs to start now.

disgruntled
01/09/2016, 9:01 AM
The FAI moves in mysterious ways.

They would probably argue there is no rule preventing such a change.

In any event Dundalk are happy, they have a game on Friday. Cork are happy not to have to play two games.

You know the FAI pretty well I would say.

I have it on good authority that the FAI announced the fixture change at 10.20pm on Saturday. By the time it was discovered, the Club lodged an objection to be told, "sorry, we cannot change this decision within 6 days of the proposed fixture". We were shafted without the muscle to call them on it. Childish behaviour by muppets

I know Wexford are pretty new to the League of Ireland but you'll get used to being shafted in this league after a while.
If you expect any help from the other League of Ireland clubs you're going to be very disappointed because none of them will help you & the FAI know this.
In this league its dog eat dog & that's why the league is in the state it is.

disgruntled
01/09/2016, 9:07 AM
Logically, it was better to give Westwood and Randolph game time. They're obviously the top two keepers. Westwood hasn't had much action for Ireland, Randolph hasn't had much action for West Ham. Still, would have loved to see Rogers play.

It would have been nice for Rodgers to play even if it was only for a few minutes but even the most hopeful among us knew that wasn't going to happen.
Rodgers probably knew himself he was only filling space.

Dodge
01/09/2016, 9:13 AM
Well he's an FAI employee so I'd say he knows the score alright. I genuinely thought he'd get a run out against Oman though

Ezeikial
01/09/2016, 11:09 AM
If you expect any help from the other League of Ireland clubs you're going to be very disappointed because none of them will help you & the FAI know this.

If we had more like El-Pietro involved in clubs, things would be different

He seems almost apoplectic with rage on behalf of Wexford. Maybe it is proxy paroxysm

I don't, but the whole situation is rubbish for Wexford.

marinobohs
01/09/2016, 11:14 AM
You know the FAI pretty well I would say.

I know Wexford are pretty new to the League of Ireland but you'll get used to being shafted in this league after a while.

........... oh I don't know, sure didn't we get 5K each to learn to pull together :D

El-Pietro
01/09/2016, 11:34 AM
If we had more like El-Pietro involved in clubs, things would be different

He seems almost apoplectic with rage on behalf of Wexford. Maybe it is proxy paroxysm

Take how it impacts your club out of it for a second. If you were a mid table club this season, or even a team going for the league but out of Europe and didn't have the backlog. How would you feel if the FAI moved one of your games to put another game in place. Its **** for Wexford, its terrible for any of their fans who were planning on going to the game and it undermines the integrity of the league.

I genuinely wasn't bothered too much when I thought it was an LSC game. I was mildly annoyed that Dundalk weren't getting a more clogged up back log but saw the sense in it. Fair enough, but moving a league game for another league game is flat our wrong. If you can't see that then I'm obviously not going to persuade you.

marinobohs
01/09/2016, 11:51 AM
Take how it impacts your club out of it for a second. If you were a mid table club this season, or even a team going for the league but out of Europe and didn't have the backlog. How would you feel if the FAI moved one of your games to put another game in place. Its **** for Wexford, its terrible for any of their fans who were planning on going to the game and it undermines the integrity of the league.

I genuinely wasn't bothered too much when I thought it was an LSC game. I was mildly annoyed that Dundalk weren't getting a more clogged up back log but saw the sense in it. Fair enough, but moving a league game for another league game is flat our wrong. If you can't see that then I'm obviously not going to persuade you.

Most people believe the League should assist our clubs in Europe (Dundalk are the leagues representatives). No club wants the added expenditure (or contract issues) that might arise if the league season was extended. Dundalk have got themselves a fixture pile up due, primarily to European commitments.

These are all facts and cant be ignored. I appreciate it would suit Cork to have Dundalk play twice a day but there is more at stake than Corks league ambitions.
As I said previously Wexford have been treated very shabbily if they were not part of the process around the fixture change (as have any other club involved) and that must be addressed in future but we cant moan at the League for not helping clubs with European commitments and then moan at them for taking action.

Yes, it appears this was a cack handed way of dealing with it but the principle was correct IMHO.

oldyouth
01/09/2016, 12:03 PM
Look, it probably wouldn't have affected how we played on Monday in the LSC, but 6 senior players were rested for that game to be fit for the league fixture tomorrow. We played a 17 year old as centre forward FFS. We now have to arrange some sort of kickabout for tomorrow to keep the squad ticking over

White Horse
01/09/2016, 12:11 PM
The fixture swap should only have been done with the agreement of Wexford Youths. Its not like they are unreasonable or are seeking to gain an advantage from another teams fixture pile up.

Acornvilla
01/09/2016, 12:15 PM
As unlikely as it is, lets just hope that lessons are learned, and from next season onward, this gets sorted, and the 1st two rounds of Europe (Europa Q1 & Q2 as well as CL Q2) are taken in to account at the beginning of the season. Out of interest, do the Irish clubs in Europe get to skip a round in the League cup, similar to what's done in other countries? It's not often an issue for Longford, so not something I paid attention to.

Pity Rogers didn't get a run, but I reckon himself and 1/2 other Dundalk players will get capped whenever we play our next friendly, as long as there aren't some other squad players who badly need match time, ala Randolph/Wilson/Walters as well as the Keane procession, last night.

Ezeikial
01/09/2016, 12:26 PM
but moving a league game for another league game is flat our wrong. If you can't see that then I'm obviously not going to persuade you.

Disagree. It was right to rearrange matches, but wrong if Wexford's agreement was not sought.

The true motivation finally emerges for your vexation

I was mildly annoyed that Dundalk weren't getting a more clogged up back log

El-Pietro
01/09/2016, 12:38 PM
Disagree. It was right to rearrange matches, but wrong if Wexford's agreement was not sought.

The true motivation finally emerges for your vexation

That is genuinely not it. Over on the city forum I was very calm during last week pointing out that it was only a LSC game until someone pointed out I was incorrect. I'm mildly annoyed that Gary Rogers won't miss the game on Friday, I was mildly annoyed that Daryl Horgans second suspended game was against Crumlin and not the scheduled game against us. I didn't rant and rave, it would have suited us for all of those things to workout differently but I'm not overly concerned by them.

What happened here, and what happened to the UCD - Limerick game in favour of a friendly, was wrong. Regardless of the teams involved. I'm also pretty sure If i was to dig through the participation agreement I'd find a rule preventing what has happened here.

I generally agree that the league should help out clubs in Europe, up to a point. When that advantage actively hurts another club as it has done here with Wexford then its going too far. I think at this point Dundalk have made it as far as they are going to get anyway. They have gotten as much advantage as they need, the chances of them qualifying from this group are virtually nil so short of letting them pick the best players from the other clubs I don't know what we could do to help them get any further.

But hey, Wexford (and UCD) are a small club, they won't kick up a fuss.

oldyouth
01/09/2016, 1:11 PM

It was OUR fixture this Friday, plain and simple. To give it to some other team is not fair in any context. We now have to play our fixture on a Monday, 3 days after we play Derry. The deed is done but you cannot claim it was the right thing to do

dundalkfc10
01/09/2016, 1:40 PM
That is genuinely not it. Over on the city forum I was very calm during last week pointing out that it was only a LSC game until someone pointed out I was incorrect. I'm mildly annoyed that Gary Rogers won't miss the game on Friday, I was mildly annoyed that Daryl Horgans second suspended game was against Crumlin and not the scheduled game against us. I didn't rant and rave, it would have suited us for all of those things to workout differently but I'm not overly concerned by them.

What happened here, and what happened to the UCD - Limerick game in favour of a friendly, was wrong. Regardless of the teams involved. I'm also pretty sure If i was to dig through the participation agreement I'd find a rule preventing what has happened here.

I generally agree that the league should help out clubs in Europe, up to a point. When that advantage actively hurts another club as it has done here with Wexford then its going too far. I think at this point Dundalk have made it as far as they are going to get anyway. They have gotten as much advantage as they need, the chances of them qualifying from this group are virtually nil so short of letting them pick the best players from the other clubs I don't know what we could do to help them get any further.

But hey, Wexford (and UCD) are a small club, they won't kick up a fuss.

The bitterness of your 1st paragraph :p

After Bohs and Sligo this week, we will have played 9 home games and 14 away games. You dont see Dundalk fans complaining about away game after away game.

El-Pietro
01/09/2016, 2:01 PM
The bitterness of your 1st paragraph :p
You're reading something that isn't there.

After Bohs and Sligo this week, we will have played 9 home games and 14 away games. You dont see Dundalk fans complaining about away game after away game.
What does this have to do with anything? Are you reading the discussion, or just picking out bits and pieces? Dundalk have had no home game sin the league because you've been buy in Europe. What does that have to do with Wexford?

Calcio Jack
01/09/2016, 3:09 PM
After Bohs and Sligo this week, we will have played 9 home games and 14 away games. You dont see Dundalk fans complaining about away game after away game.[/QUOTE]

I know there's still a few months to go but above has to be the leading contender by a country mile for

'The dummest post of the year' award".

It's a long time since I've read anything so stupid.

jinxy lilywhite
01/09/2016, 6:45 PM

I know there's still a few months to go but above has to be the leading contender by a country mile for

'The dummest post of the year' award".

It's a long time since I've read anything so stupid.[/QUOTE]

You read back on your own posts then eh ;)

oldyouth
01/09/2016, 7:45 PM
The fixture swap should only have been done with the agreement of Wexford Youths..

It was not done with agreement of Wexford Youths and I have that directly from a senior member of staff

Duffman
01/09/2016, 10:41 PM
It was not done with agreement of Wexford Youths and I have that directly from a senior member of staff

That being true then it's an absolute disgrace. Still, there is literally nothing at all surprises me about the organisation of the league anymore.

outspoken
02/09/2016, 9:30 AM
That being true then it's an absolute disgrace. Still, there is literally nothing at all surprises me about the organisation of the league anymore.
Lack of organisation* fixed that for you

KeepersBall
07/09/2016, 10:25 PM
One point being overlooked here, is Rogers the best Irish keeper in the LOI at the moment.
for me anyway Shane Supples better

seand
08/09/2016, 7:55 AM
It's arguable whether Rogers is the best keeper in the country and I've said jokingly he's about Dundalk's tenth best player. But he has a load of big match experience, this season in particular, and is well integrated into the Ireland set up.

Not sure if the Supple conmments are just a wind up, but he's played 5 games for Bohs and that's the only senior soccer he's played in what 6 or 7 years?

White Horse
08/09/2016, 8:17 AM
One point being overlooked here, is Rogers the best Irish keeper in the LOI at the moment.

I haven't seen enough of Supple to come to that conclusion.

O'Neill seems to place a lot of emphasis on playing at a high level. If Dundalk were not competing in European matches against good teams, I doubt Rogers would get a look in. The same would apply to any other keeper.

El-Pietro
08/09/2016, 8:51 AM
I think there is very little difference between the top 3 or 4 keepers in the league. Personally I think McNulty is better but I watch him almost every week. I've never been overly impressed with Rogers. Delighted hes in the squad though.

marinobohs
08/09/2016, 9:09 AM
I haven't seen enough of Supple to come to that conclusion.

O'Neill seems to place a lot of emphasis on playing at a high level. If Dundalk were not competing in European matches against good teams, I doubt Rogers would get a look in. The same would apply to any other keeper.

I'm a Bohs supporter and I haven't seen enough of Supple to reach that conclusion, yet ;) At the moment Rogers is as good as any in the League in my opinion but cant think of a really top class keeper in the League. I was not surprised Dundalk were linked with Brian Murphy, best keeper I have ever seen in LOI (during his time with Bohs.)

Dodge
08/09/2016, 9:44 AM

McNulty is the best keeper in the league. Rogers on a par with Clarke, Schlingermann and a few others. All are solid enough with some great saves and some big mistakes in them at all times. Supple may be great and Conor O'Malley has all a keeper needs but lets see if they can manage a season first

None of them are close to the level Brian Murphy was playing at with Bohs in 2008/09

Philosophizer
08/09/2016, 9:59 AM
Not sure if the Supple comments are just a wind up, but he's played 5 games for Bohs and that's the only senior soccer he's played in what 6 or 7 years?

Yep, but since he's gotten fit it's been as clear as day that he can play at a higher level. Players with that type of quality tend to stand out like sore thumbs at Dalymount park, because there's been so few of them in recent years. Ben Mohamad was another one, who after only a few matches, it was easy to tell he was capable of playing at a higher level.

The saving grace is that Supple had already been abroad and clearly hated it so he's unlikely to move back there again. The only worry would be that Dundalk will snap him up for next season.

KeepersBall
08/09/2016, 7:53 PM
Not a wind up, i appreciate he hasn't played at senior level for a while, although he got a few games and won an All Ireland as back up with the Dubs if that counts, but as the saying goes, form is temporary class is permanent.
And Supple is class, different class to most LOI keepers. who while good are at their level, Supple was good enough to play at a clearly higher level and still has what it takes.