PDA

View Full Version : Limerick FC Officially First Division Champions

thomas72
28/08/2016, 7:02 PM
By beating UCD 2-3 Tonight now can they see out the whole season unbeaten in the league 6 or 7 games remaining.

White Horse
28/08/2016, 7:03 PM
Congratulations to Limerick FC. The most emphatic of first division winners.

CraftyToePoke
28/08/2016, 7:24 PM
Well done to all involved, mighty effort. Hopefully see it out unbeaten.

pineapple stu
28/08/2016, 7:39 PM
Well done Limerick. A bit annoyed we couldn't take even a point off ye - three one-goal defeats, and 1-0 up on the opening day before being reduced to ten men. But certainly can't argue with the league table. Amazing record. "Just" need 23 goals from the last 6 to hit the ton now. Tough, but doable if ye don't ease off now.

patrickccfc
28/08/2016, 8:21 PM
Was never in doubt really was it. An unbeaten season is a rarity so would be good if they can do that. Interesting how they do next year now

jinxy lilywhite
28/08/2016, 8:38 PM
Well done limerick. Looking forward to visiting the markets fields next season

ToberonaTornado
28/08/2016, 10:12 PM
Well done Lims.

osarusan
28/08/2016, 10:34 PM
Well done Limerick. A bit annoyed we couldn't take even a point off ye - three one-goal defeats, and 1-0 up on the opening day before being reduced to ten men. But certainly can't argue with the league table. Amazing record. "Just" need 23 goals from the last 6 to hit the ton now. Tough, but doable if ye don't ease off now.
Again, we were muck for quite a while and UCD were the better team for about an hour, before we finally got ourselves sorted out for the rest of the game and saw it out fairly comfortably.

The amount of times we have been rubbish for at least a third of the game before sorting ourselves out is quite high,and really highlights just how good our best players are and how well we are able to recover from poor starts.

Anyway, I am drunk, CHAMPIONS.

Ezeikial
28/08/2016, 11:01 PM
Congrats - outstanding performance to wrap it up in August

Charlie Darwin
29/08/2016, 12:02 AM
Congratulations lads - see you back in the Premier next year if Rovers avoid relegation.

GCdfc
29/08/2016, 8:51 AM
Well done Limerick. Look forward to escaping a visit to the in-laws by stopping by when we play you!

Mr A
29/08/2016, 8:52 AM
Well done Limerick.

Although your treasurer is probably raging you didn't string it out a bit longer and at least try to win the league at home.

pineapple stu
29/08/2016, 9:21 AM
With three flares and a pitch invasion, I'm sure our treasurer is feeling the same. :)

The Donie Forde
29/08/2016, 9:47 AM
Congrats, Limerick, impressive champions!

Been to the Markets for a friendly, can't wait to get there for a proper league match - should be cracking!

Lim till i die
29/08/2016, 10:10 AM
Congrats, Limerick, impressive champions!

Been to the Markets for a friendly, can't wait to get there for a proper league match - should be cracking!

The Cork games in the Markets Field next season will be incredible occasions.

Hopefully the FAI put it down as our first home game place would be absolutely heaving.

disgruntled
29/08/2016, 11:19 AM
Well done Limerick.
Good to have you back up where you belong.

SalvadorSanchez
29/08/2016, 11:41 AM
Well done to all concerned... was gutted for ye that ye didn't pull off the great escape last season... Limerick will be a good addition to the Prem next season, looks like it could make for an interesting season... There'll be no really weak teams in the Prem. and it could be a dog fight involving 6 - 7 clubs to stay up, could be as interesting as the title race...
Well done again.. looking forward to visiting the Markets Field..

El-Pietro
29/08/2016, 12:59 PM
congrats on winning the Frst Division.

outspoken
29/08/2016, 4:19 PM
Again, we were muck for quite a while and UCD were the better team for about an hour, before we finally got ourselves sorted out for the rest of the game and saw it out fairly comfortably.

The amount of times we have been rubbish for at least a third of the game before sorting ourselves out is quite high,and really highlights just how good our best players are and how well we are able to recover from poor starts.

Anyway, I am drunk, CHAMPIONS.

Or does it highlight how poor the FD truly is? Obvusly Limerick are by far and away the best team but a lot of people have pointed out the amount of goals ye leak and that could be shown up again against better opposition next season. Just look at Longford for an example of how things can go sour quickly.

Lim till i die
29/08/2016, 4:48 PM
The First Division is absolutely terrible.

Below us, outside of UCD, Drogs and Cobh it's actually a disgrace.

We do have much, much, better players than Longford though.

Our goal difference is +55 (FIFTY FIVE).

We will finish inside the top ten in the premier next year. :ball:

CraftyToePoke
29/08/2016, 4:58 PM
A weak division, yes, but you can only play what's put in front of you. But a huge disparity at times in the games I saw, between players operating at the same level.

But hey, there'a always that 5k coming down the line to make it all better.

legendz
29/08/2016, 7:09 PM
Congrats to Limerick!

Are Waterford, Shelbourne and Athlone that bad?

NeverFeltBetter
29/08/2016, 8:59 PM
I made it to the thrashing we gave Waterford in the MF, when the collection plate was going round, and yeah, they really are. I've seen UCD and Drogs games too, and they are decent sides that will probably stagnate if left in the lower tier too long (which is happening to Shels). Athlone's troubles are well documented. Cabinteely don't actually seem genuinely interested in LOI. Cobh I can't really comment too much on, but seem like the sort of team that could make a go of promotion with not much more improvement.

It's a bad division, and Limerick's drop into it gets ever more grating in retrospect. It's a horrible problem child with no reasonable fix given the circumstances of the league.

Charlie Darwin
29/08/2016, 11:26 PM

We do have much, much, better players than Longford though.

Our goal difference is +55 (FIFTY FIVE).

We will finish inside the top ten in the premier next year. :ball:
Cabo and Athlone have an average ago of about 15 is why. The other two are managed by Roddy and Heary. It's no wonder you walked the league when you're the only side with any senior players.

Lim till i die
30/08/2016, 12:32 AM
Cabo and Athlone have an average ago of about 15 is why. The other two are managed by Roddy and Heary.

Like I said.

A disgrace.

Charlie Darwin
30/08/2016, 12:44 AM
They're all going to get better though. Maybe not Athlone, but Cabo are breeding future generations of Limerick players, and Waterford and Shels will improve when they get rid of their spoofers.

Lim till i die
30/08/2016, 1:40 AM
They're all going to get better though. Maybe not Athlone, but Cabo are breeding future generations of First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC players, and Waterford and Shels will improve when they get rid of their spoofers.

Cabo have as much interest in competing in the LoI as Barcelona do.

I think you'll find most of our future players are already winding down their careers on the fringes of the likes of Pats and Shamrock.

Waterford United are dead. Sure roddy and his family and friends are down picking the last bits of rotten flesh off the carcass but that will end soon.

They won't be left go fully to the wall too much political clout in abbotstown but it's a long way back from the foot of the first division unless a pat o sullivan rides into town on his mule.

The economy down there makes Limerick city look like silicon valley aswell which doesn't help and their terrible loser hurlers are the flavour of the month.

shelbourne athletic won't be a "big" club again for decades.

No ground, no fans, no players.

What exact purpose do they serve anymore??

A feeder club for Pats??

A dodgy back alley betting syndicate??

A youth club for tweens to act out their fantasies of being English and really stupid??

An atm for fellas that Ollie Byrne owed money??

I genuinely don't see any meaningful future there. I'm sure they can plod along as dublins fifth team for years to come but so what??

Charlie Darwin
30/08/2016, 2:26 AM
I'm sure many people would have said the same about Wexford as you've said about Cabo and they've really built a club from scratch there. Sure people probably said the same about Limerick when you had no ground and no bandwagon. Hell, people might have said it about Rovers, I dunno. There's a lot to admire about them even if obviously they don't have the means to be challenging for promotion, and I don't think it's a Salthill Devon-type vanity project. I know you're probably trolling but still.

GCdfc
30/08/2016, 7:53 AM

A feeder club for Pats??

A youth club for tweens to act out their fantasies of being English and really stupid??

Something similar could have been written about much of Dundalks recent spell in the first division. It can be turned around.

fionnsci
30/08/2016, 10:59 AM
Any there any solid plans afoot to expand the Markets Field ahead of PD football? I know it should be fit for purpose as it is but I'm aware that expansion plans exist.

Jofspring
30/08/2016, 11:42 AM
No there are no plans. The LEDP have pretty much said they see no need to expand so won't.

Nesta99
30/08/2016, 1:29 PM
It is not so much expansion as improving facilities for those that currently go. Seeing it 3 or 4 deep on a flat tarmac area would mean there is scope for terraced seating without increasing capacity. Limerick in Europe in a couple of seasons and already its catch up. Why not try to add something even small things each year?

Jofspring
30/08/2016, 2:42 PM
That's the way most Limerick fans would look at it nesta. A few were even criticised for bring up such ideas when the initial plans came out from the LEDP. The answer has pretty much been "why would you need anything more than the current stand and terrace you have when you can only pull in max 2,000".

For the cup final there are already issues with only a certain amount of stand tickets available.

nigel-harps1954
30/08/2016, 6:14 PM
Markets Field desperately needs more spectator facilities in my opinion. Limerick football will only continue to grow at this rate. They're already filling the seats in Markets Field as it is and the promotion to the Premier will only increase demand. Terracing the Popular side should be next on the agenda for them.

Philosophizer
30/08/2016, 10:56 PM
Have they done anything with the side of the pitch that's on the same side as the main stand? The main stand looked great when I saw it last year but the rest of that side was just a building site...

Jofspring
31/08/2016, 12:09 PM
Have they done anything with the side of the pitch that's on the same side as the main stand? The main stand looked great when I saw it last year but the rest of that side was just a building site...

They knocked the building that was there to the right of the stand as you look at it. Some of it has been tarmaced. The big hole in the wall that was there is another exit now also.

NeverFeltBetter
31/08/2016, 6:15 PM
Markets Field desperately needs more spectator facilities in my opinion. Limerick football will only continue to grow at this rate. They're already filling the seats in Markets Field as it is and the promotion to the Premier will only increase demand. Terracing the Popular side should be next on the agenda for them.

Getting the LEDP to do anything is going to be a bigger task than winning a league, or three. A few sell-outs now and then doesn't cut it.

nigel-harps1954
31/08/2016, 7:24 PM
Getting the LEDP to do anything is going to be a bigger task than winning a league, or three. A few sell-outs now and then doesn't cut it.

Has huge potential to be a top class stadium. A real pity it'll likely be left as it is. Just feels totally unfinished and almost thrown together as it is, especially outside of the main stand.

Jofspring
31/08/2016, 7:30 PM
I'd be hoping (and it's probably a big hope), that the fact there is a contract there with Munster for use as a rugby ground as well for schoolboy and reserve games that maybe some government grants could be gotten towards more development.

sbgawa
31/08/2016, 8:21 PM
Cabo have as much interest in competing in the LoI as Barcelona do.

I think you'll find most of our future players are already winding down their careers on the fringes of the likes of Pats and Shamrock.

Waterford United are dead. Sure roddy and his family and friends are down picking the last bits of rotten flesh off the carcass but that will end soon.

They won't be left go fully to the wall too much political clout in abbotstown but it's a long way back from the foot of the first division unless a pat o sullivan rides into town on his mule.

The economy down there makes Limerick city look like silicon valley aswell which doesn't help and their terrible loser hurlers are the flavour of the month.

A feeder club for Pats??

I genuinely don't see any meaningful future there. I'm sure they can plod along as dublins fifth team for years to come but so what??

I have kids playing schoolboy football with cabo . with the upcoming national under 15 leagues they might be able to attract players from joeys etc and feed them through into senior team in time...long game but they have a reasonable plan and they are a real community club. Can't see them drawing crowds though especially in Stradbrook which is a dive

oldyouth
31/08/2016, 8:59 PM
Can't see them drawing crowds though especially in Stradbrook which is a dive

Stradbally has the best chipper wagon in the whole damn league. Never to be underestimated

Lim till i die
31/08/2016, 9:00 PM
I have kids playing schoolboy football with cabo . with the upcoming national under 15 leagues they might be able to attract players from joeys etc and feed them through into senior team in time...long game but they have a reasonable plan and they are a real community club. Can't see them drawing crowds though especially in Stradbrook which is a dive

I've nothing against cabo. I'd wager they are set up better than every club in the league.

The absolute only reason they entered a senior league of ireland team is so they would be allowed enter underage league of ireland teams.

Their priorities don't lie in athlone of a rainy Saturday.

As for the Markets Field you're talking about a "stadium" management company who hired a lad who builds houses to do the job, who fenced off their grass bank for a year so the magnificent structure wouldn't get ruined and who's response to questions about the ground being up to scratch is "shur isn't thomond park only out the road."

You know the way in Ireland a lot of people tend to get cosy jobs based on who they know rather than what they know??

Well Limerick city is Ireland's armpit. These people are why.

bluewhitearmy
31/08/2016, 9:10 PM
I'd be hoping (and it's probably a big hope), that the fact there is a contract there with Munster for use as a rugby ground as well for schoolboy and reserve games that maybe some government grants could be gotten towards more development.

Id rather the ground stays as is and no rugby is ever played there. No way pitch in there can take it.