PDA

View Full Version : Reid signs for some one at last!

Pages : [1] 2

gustavo
29/01/2005, 2:36 PM
http://www.football365.com/news/story_141878.shtml

TheJamaicanP.M.
29/01/2005, 2:40 PM
Good news. Would have liked to have seen him move to a bigger club. So much for Tuff Paddy's "source" who told him he was "definitely" moving to Spurs. :rolleyes:

Eirambler
29/01/2005, 2:46 PM
Good stuff. I'm actually glad its Southampton. They looked good today against Portsmouth and I think they'll stay up. He's guaranteed his place, possibly at Delaps expense.

Tottenhams squad is getting a bit full at this stage and if he signed for them he would probably push Yeates further down.

Just seen on Sky Sports that they're still in competition with another club, Spurs still maybe?

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=252773

eirebhoy
29/01/2005, 2:53 PM
http://www.nottinghamforest.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10308~620229,00.html

Nottingham Forest have today accepted an offer from Southampton of cash-plus-players in return (Brett Ormerod and Darren Kenton) for Andy Reid.

Southampton manager Harry Redknapp has offered cash payments in excess of £3million, plus two established members of his first team squad.

Forest Chairman Nigel Doughty said: "I promised Andy that should we receive an offer that was right for Nottingham Forest we would allow him the opportunity to fulfil his ambiton of playing in the Premiership.

"The offer made by Southampton fulfils that criteria, at the same time as providing Gary Megson with two players that he feels would strengthen his squad at The City Ground.

"We have had a number of derisory offers from one other Premiership club - none of which were acceptable.

"One of my duties as Chairman of Nottingham Forest is to ensure that no club takes advantage of our position in the Championship. While I'm Chairman, no player will leave this Club on the cheap.

"Financially, the Club continues to progress with the repayment of its debt and move towards our goal of self-sufficiency in the medium term."
-----------

There's only 4 teams realistically in with a chance of relegation IMO and Sotona are one of them.

Eirambler
29/01/2005, 2:59 PM
Apparentely Harry Redknapp has just been on BBC 5 Live saying that Southampton havent signed Reid, they were beaten to him by another club.

WTF???

eirebhoy
29/01/2005, 3:04 PM
Redknapp: “The chairman [Rupert Lowe] has agreed terms with Nottingham Forest, but I don’t think the lad will be coming here. I think Tottenham will be interested, and he will end up there.”

gustavo
29/01/2005, 3:15 PM
:( for god sake this is going on waaaaaaaay too long

eirebhoy
29/01/2005, 3:21 PM
:( for god sake this is going on waaaaaaaay too long
And its finally over. :) I'm sure Reid won't be too fussy about personal terms.

Dan K
29/01/2005, 3:33 PM
Looks like Redknapp is expecting Spurs to come in and gazump us. :confused:

Let's hope we see him at St. Mary's on Monday.....

Fergie's Son
29/01/2005, 5:58 PM
What a soap opera! Glad to hear that his going to end up in the Premiership but what all the fuss? Does Reid not want to go to Southampton? Does he have some sort of personal connection with Spurs? Have to agree that he could be a huge star at Southampton and his being there would allow Yeats to develop at Spur.

tricky_colour
29/01/2005, 7:07 PM
It seems we are still none wiser about Reid, Forest have agreed terms
with Southampton but Reid wants to go to Spurs, who it seems are
signing up every player under the sun apart from Reid.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he is still at Forest in Februrary!!

eirebhoy
29/01/2005, 9:16 PM
It seems we are still none wiser about Reid, Forest have agreed terms
with Southampton but Reid wants to go to Spurs, who it seems are
signing up every player under the sun apart from Reid.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he is still at Forest in Februrary!!
There's no way he'll turn down a move to the premiership. While he may go back down again, at least he'll get to show other managers how good he is at the top level and its better than going down to division 2.

livehead1
30/01/2005, 5:11 PM
of course he will. reid isnt just going to walk out on forest for no reason at all.it will take good terms from southampton and he will want to be assured that they will be in the premiership next season. there is also the relocating. london is a better place for him than the south coast, few irish players have prospered down there. i can see him staying, he know's regardless in of what happens to forest, in the summer he will get premiership football.

eirebhoy
30/01/2005, 6:25 PM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=15779

But Reid would be wrong to place all his stock in a move to White Hart Lane.

While he could be loathe to swap one relegation battle for another – Southampton are currently third from bottom of the Premiership table – a move to St Mary’s could afford him precisely the chance to prove himself at the top level.

Southampton’s fortunes have improved markedly since Redknapp replaced the thoroughly ineffectual Steve Wigley last month.

Although his first six games in charge failed to produce a single win, the Saints have turned it around since Christmas, winning three of their last four games, including a Premiership victory over Liverpool and Saturday’s FA Cup fourth round defeat of south-coast rivals Portsmouth.

Having played for Forest in the competition, Reid would not be available for remainder of any Cup run, but he would be virtually certain to start their Premiership outings, when the responsibility would be on him to conjure the creativity to lift Southampton clear of the drop zone.

Should he move to Spurs, he would not even be a definite to make the match squad, such has been Martin Jol’s activity during the January transfer window.

Over the past few weeks, Jol’s forward and midfield options have been bolstered by the arrivals of Egyptian striker Mido from Roma and Moroccan Mounir El Hamdaoui from Dutch side Excelsior, while he is still keen on snapping up Crystal Palace winger Wayne Routledge.

With Jermain Defoe and Fredi Kanoute preferred on Saturday, Keane could not get into the side, and the pressure on Reid to perform heroics instantly – just to keep his place – could be immense.

At Southampton, however, he really could become a hero, and a player of proven Premiership standard.

Dan K
30/01/2005, 6:38 PM
of course he will. reid isnt just going to walk out on forest for no reason at all.it will take good terms from southampton and he will want to be assured that they will be in the premiership next season. there is also the relocating. london is a better place for him than the south coast, few irish players have prospered down there. i can see him staying, he know's regardless in of what happens to forest, in the summer he will get premiership football.

Andy Townsend did alright down here. And Jeff Kenna. And Rory Delap (aside from serious and badly timed injuries). And Leon Best (although he may now have switched allegiance). I hardly think Southampton as a city is going to affect his playing ability.

He wants to walk out on Forest, hence why he put in a transfer request. It just depends whether or not he's hanging out for Spurs. I think there's only a 30% chance that will see him here, but it'll be a good move for all concerned if he does come.

livehead1
30/01/2005, 8:23 PM
rory delap...wats it done for his international aspirations. i can assure you that reid will be thinking twice about going to the saints....the man is in love with spurs. one forest player even joked about buying reid a spurs shirt "as hes wanted one all season"

thejollyrodger
30/01/2005, 8:41 PM
hmm, I was worried about going to the saints... another relegation battle and all but thats a good point about fighting to get into the starting 11 at spurs. He may well do or he could be playing for the Reserves. I would go with the saints and hopefully there will be a clause for him to jump ship if they get relegated :D

thecorner
31/01/2005, 9:09 AM
forest to southampton

doesnt make sense....back in the championship next season

eirebhoy
31/01/2005, 10:40 AM
forest to southampton

doesnt make sense....back in the championship next season
The only reason Reid hasn't moved already is because he's unproven in the premiership. At least 5 months there with Soton will be enough to get a club.

Dan K
31/01/2005, 11:10 AM
rory delap...wats it done for his international aspirations. i can assure you that reid will be thinking twice about going to the saints....the man is in love with spurs. one forest player even joked about buying reid a spurs shirt "as hes wanted one all season"

Everyime Delap was called up since being at Saints, he's gotten injured. You can hardly blame that on his move can you, ffs?

BaZmO*
31/01/2005, 11:35 AM
Does he have some sort of personal connection with Spurs?

Chris Houghton?

TerryPhelan
31/01/2005, 12:12 PM
Chris Houghton?

Chris Hughton indeed. As well as Mark Yeates, Stephen Kelly and the boy Rabbie, all fellow Dubliners. Football365 has made a big deal over Keane's improved movement (for Ireland) whenever Reid is on the ball - anticipates a better quality pass than he would from "workhorses Matt Holland or Kevin Kilbane" and is livelier as a result. Although what good this will do anyone when Rabbie can't even make the team these days.

livehead1
31/01/2005, 2:41 PM
hes fit and playing now and GRAHAM BARRETT and alan lee are ahead of him in international reckoning

eirebhoy
31/01/2005, 3:06 PM
Tottenham have made an £8 million double bid for Andy Reid and Michael Dawson of Nottingham Forest.
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=253125&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=SPURS+TABLE+£8M+OFFER&channel=Football_Home

pete
31/01/2005, 3:44 PM
Nottingham Forest would be nuts to reject 8m even if some clauses in there.

IF they get relegated the pair won't be worth half that. Downside is they won't have time spend some fo that cash.

Cowboy
31/01/2005, 4:54 PM
SS news have just said that bid has been accepted by forest

thejollyrodger
31/01/2005, 5:13 PM
SPURS PAY £8M FOR REID AND DAWSON

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/05/01/31/SOCCER_Tottenham_Forest_Snap.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Nottingham Forest have accepted an £8million offer from Tottenham for highly-rated duo Andy Reid and Michael Dawson.

Tottenham confirmed earlier today they had made the approach, and Forest were unable to resist accepting the offer for two of the Coca-Cola Championship's best players.

Republic of Ireland midfielder Reid and England Under-21s centre-half Dawson have travelled to north London to discuss personal terms and undergo medicals so that they can sign before the midnight transfer deadline.

Forest chief executive Mark Arthur said: "We have reached an agreement with Tottenham with regard to the sales of Andy Reid and Michael Dawson and we expect the transfers to be completed later today.

"Both players are understandably ambitious young men and are keen to play in the Premiership as soon as possible.

"This represents a great opportunity for both of them and as a club, we felt we could not stand in their way," he told the club's website, www.nottinghamforest.co.uk.

"The contributions of Andy and Michael to Nottingham Forest in recent years has been immense.

"They have been with us since they were schoolboys and have developed into two of the finest young players in the country.

"We will watch their progress in the Premiership with both a great deal of interest and pride.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank them both for their efforts and wish them the very best of luck for the future," he said.

So Spurs it is ! great move for Reid if he can get regular first team football. I think he will fit in well at Spurs :D

tricky_colour
31/01/2005, 5:24 PM
Yep it's on the BBC so it is official.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4223911.stm

Seems like a good deal for Forest, that money will go a long way
in league one!!

TheJamaicanP.M.
31/01/2005, 8:45 PM
PA Newsflash: Nottingham Forest accept £8million bid from Tottenham for Andy Reid and Michael Dawson.

Are you reading this Jamaican PM....? :D

Fair play to ya Tuff Paddy. You came good in the end. Fantastic guesswork! You must be great at gambling. :D

livehead1
31/01/2005, 9:52 PM
Forest might as well start running around with white flags raised.
Are they the first one-time European Cup winners to end up in the third tier of the domestic league? (Assuming they do get relegated, of course, I know there are a few Forest lads on here!)

yep your dead rite, heard it on local radio in nottingham, they wud be the first, and there not one time european cup winners, there twice....IN A ROW! lol

Plastic Paddy
01/02/2005, 1:28 AM
i bet you feel like a fool now. :rolleyes:

I dount that very much. He's well-known round here for having thick skin, is our Patrick... :eek: :D

:D PP

Aldini98
01/02/2005, 8:52 AM
Reckon he'll do well in the Premiership, well better than Liam "Shoulda stayed at Celtic" Miller anyways.

TheJamaicanP.M.
01/02/2005, 7:40 PM
i bet you feel like a fool now. :rolleyes:

You obviously dont know the Jamaican Prime Minister. Im too intelligent to feel like a fool. Fair dues to Tuff Paddy. He's been predicting the Reid to Spurs move for months now. For that, he should be commended as foot.ie user of the week.

livehead1
02/02/2005, 5:08 PM
Nottingham Forest would be nuts to reject 8m even if some clauses in there.

IF they get relegated the pair won't be worth half that. Downside is they won't have time spend some fo that cash.
they will, the window doesn't apply to clubs outside of the top flite :D

tricky_colour
03/02/2005, 12:55 AM
Regarding Forests £8million,I would imagine that money would
probably buy the entire first team of some/many of the clubs
above them.
I am not too sure about the validity of my above statement but
Forest have been buying players for about 1/2 million or less and
they have gone straight into the first team!! (maybe thats their
problem!!).
Then you have to ask yourself if Reid and Dawson are that good
(1/5 of the team) then why are they propping up the league?

Being from Nottingham I used to listen to their matches on the
radio but I can't really bear to do that anymore as it is too
depressing now, you know they are going to lose before you
tune in!!

I can remember when people were calling for Brian Clough to be
sacked when they were at the foot of the Premiereship, short
memories eh?

Even at his worst he has been a better manager than anyone
we have had since.

Trouble was people judged him by his own achievements not
what Forest had achieved without him (nothing).

Kevin77
03/02/2005, 4:33 AM
Regarding Forests £8million,I would imagine that money would
probably buy the entire first team of some/many of the clubs
above them.
I am not too sure about the validity of my above statement but
Forest have been buying players for about 1/2 million or less and
they have gone straight into the first team!! (maybe thats their
problem!!).
Then you have to ask yourself if Reid and Dawson are that good
(1/5 of the team) then why are they propping up the league?

Being from Nottingham I used to listen to their matches on the
radio but I can't really bear to do that anymore as it is too
depressing now, you know they are going to lose before you
tune in!!

I can remember when people were calling for Brian Clough to be
sacked when they were at the foot of the Premiereship, short
memories eh?

Even at his worst he has been a better manager than anyone
we have had since.

Trouble was people judged him by his own achievements not
what Forest had achieved without him (nothing).

Great post. It's always the way...fan's have such short memories. You've only got to look at the idiot's calling for Ferguson to resign when Utd have suffered a blip in recent years. They forget (maybe never knew)what it was like for nearly 20 years before Ferguson came on the scene. Newcastle made the same mistake with Robson and look where it's got them.

eirebhoy
05/02/2005, 12:31 PM
Here's a 2 minute clip from an interview with Keane and Reid, open (not save) with Real player:
http://www.spurs.co.uk/ram/rk050203.ram

funny. :D

tricky_colour
05/02/2005, 11:41 PM
I must say Robbie Keane and Andy Reid appear to combine
well, they appear to be on the same wave length which bodes
well for Ireland.
It was a great pass from Andy and an even better finish from
Robbie.

I've just seen Robbies goal against Brighton on the BBC's goal
of the month competition that was a bit special too.

I am feeling pretty good about qualifiers now, touch wood.
It's seems we have a good few players coming into form,
and that includes Gary Doherty!!

Stuttgart88
07/02/2005, 7:12 AM
I thought Doherty was brutal on Saturday, though he did get a good goal.

A lot of our players are in good form at the moment: Duff, Andy Reid, both Keanes, Dunne, O'Shea, Given, Kilbane. Finnan's doing well enough in his usual reliable but unspectacular fashion. Kelly is starting for Spurs. Elliott scored another cracker on Friday. Holland is playing well for Charlton. McGeady is starting every game and doing well for Celtic (how did he play yesterday?).

Was Kilbane injured yesterday, or was his substitution tactical?

tetsujin1979
07/02/2005, 10:04 AM
McGeady is starting every game and doing well for Celtic (how did he play yesterday?).

Was Kilbane injured yesterday, or was his substitution tactical?

McGeady played well, sent Sutton clear to set up Hartson for the first goal.
Duff was marauding as usual across both wings yesterday, had to do the job of 2 wingers with Robben injured and Cole a liability.

Not sure about Kilbane, maybe he needed to catch an early flight to Dublin!

eirebhoy
07/02/2005, 11:45 AM
McGeady isn't playing too well considering the standards he has set himself. He definitely needs a rest, maybe play Bellamy on the right. :eek:

tetsujin1979
07/02/2005, 11:59 AM
McGeady isn't playing too well considering the standards he has set himself. He definitely needs a rest, maybe play Bellamy on the right. :eek:
I thought McGeady was playing on the left?

eirebhoy
07/02/2005, 12:06 PM
I slept late yesterday and only caught the second half, he was on both wings from what I saw but played on the right in the previous two games.

Bowsy
07/02/2005, 1:12 PM
I thought Doherty was brutal on Saturday, though he did get a good goal.

Didn't see the game apart from the highlights but the BBC website have him at centre half in their team of the week along with Dunne.

Stuttgart88
07/02/2005, 1:20 PM
I only saw Match of the Day but all I noticed was Earnshaw giving Doherty the run around all afternoon. Maybe the highlights weren't kind to him.

eirebhoy
07/02/2005, 1:22 PM
Didn't see the game apart from the highlights but the BBC website have him at centre half in their team of the week along with Dunne.
I was just about to post that. 4 Irish in the team of the week, there mustn't have been much competition if Duff could make it.

Bowsy
07/02/2005, 1:25 PM
I only saw Match of the Day but all I noticed was Earnshaw giving Doherty the run around all afternoon. Maybe the highlights weren't kind to him.

Have to admit i drew a similar conclusion myself and thought he fairly hammered that back pass at Green that led to Earnshaws goal as well as losing his man for the second but he must have been doing something right.

tricky_colour
07/02/2005, 1:39 PM
How about Dunn and Doherty to start as centre backs against
Portugul.

I do notice a tendency for people to refer to center backs as
centre halfs.

They play in the centre width wise and at the back of the field
hence centre-back.

Roy Keane plays in the centre of the pitch width wise and half
way up the pitch length wise hence hence he is a centre-half.

Even top managers use this misleading terminology.

eirebhoy
07/02/2005, 1:52 PM
Centre half has been used for years instead of centre back, everyone in football uses the term.

BTW, Doc also made the Opta team of the week which measures how effective a player was.

Bowsy
07/02/2005, 2:33 PM
I was just about to post that. 4 Irish in the team of the week, there mustn't have been much competition if Duff could make it.

Always have a geekish ritual of trying to get as many Irish players into it as possible from the substitutes. Good to see himself and Dunne there. Both young players for centre halves or backs or whatever you want to call them.

Think Stuttgart mentioned O'Briens touch for Charlton's goal on another thread and he's looked very fallable in recent times although Souness seems to like his attitude. Again a young player though.