PDA

View Full Version : New manager

Rocky77
19/08/2016, 8:24 PM
I get the "get behind the new manager" stuff I'll read, I really do, but I have to say I'm not delighted by this turn of events

outspoken
19/08/2016, 10:01 PM
I get the "get behind the new manager" stuff I'll read, I really do, but I have to say I'm not delighted by this turn of events

And you are 100% entitled to that opinion which more than half of the fan base seem to hold judging by social media tonight. At the end of the day we all want the new manager and the team to do well no matter whether we think it's a good appointment or not. Too many people getting hung up on being seen as positive or negative, it's neither, it's just a different opinion. Anyway that's my totally irrelevant take on events. Here's to De Town getting a huge cup win tomorrow.

Longfordian
19/08/2016, 10:22 PM
I'd be interested to know if it's an until the end of the season deal or if he's contracted for next year too. I always liked AM personally but I'm well aware many didn't. May be the best we can get or afford right now however.

Martinho II
20/08/2016, 1:18 AM
I am a bit surprised with the lack of opinion on his return. If given a proper chance again I think he will continue his great work with us. He is the only manager to have won the major trophies with us. He is excellent at PR. He also played with us in the mid nineties so he has a feeling for the club. He is the first manager to have bossed us having previously played for us since he left in 07.none of the other town bosses appointed since then could boost this.

I would like to know the length of deal as what Longfordian has said. It is a major gamble he has taken and his career has gone backwards since the 08 season with Cork city. I would give him a chance. We will more than likely go down but dont forget he got Shels promoted and got Shels to the FAI cup final whilst a first division side in 2011!

I for one am delighted to see him back in football and back here where he belongs!

Darklordsbane
20/08/2016, 6:14 AM
2008 was a bit before my time watching LOI football but he has hardly set the world alight since then, from what I have heard and read he is more a Rafa Benitez type manager than Alex Ferguson, ie good cup man,
it's a pity he wasn't appointed before the match tonight, no slight on Gary but Alan would have more experience, for which is a huge game for Ge Town,
still there are 27 points to play for in the league and as they say it ain't over till the fat lady sings

I think we will win tonight 9/1 in most places but you can get 10 and 11/1 online if you shop around
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/other/ireland/fai-cup/longford-v-cork-city/winner

Macy
22/08/2016, 12:03 PM
2008 was a bit before my time watching LOI football but he has hardly set the world alight since then, from what I have heard and read he is more a Rafa Benitez type manager than Alex Ferguson, ie good cup man,
He also got us to our highest ever league finishes. His biggest problem was he wasn't Stephen Kenny, and I don't think some fans ever (even now) got over that fact, or the fact he was more successful than Stephen! The football was poor at times, but that's pretty much par for the course in the LoI - at least he was generally a winning manager with us. It's also hard to judge his record since he left us - hardly had stable clubs to work with.

My main concern is that these things never tend to work out a second time.

RiffRaff
22/08/2016, 12:28 PM
Can't help thinking its a bit of a lazy appointment seeing as he was out of a job and made it known he was interested in the job. His star has fallen considerably since he left, when he could have had a choice of jobs and looked to be destined for bigger things. He wasn't helped by overseeing some appalling European results with us and Cork and has really struggled to achieve anything since. Right now he needs Longford more than we need him. Having said that, you cant knock what he achieved last time and it may never be repeated in Longford history.

Darklordsbane
26/08/2016, 5:34 AM
It will be interesting to see what changes have been put in place from Mathews, will he persist with everyone standing in a tight group for set pieces, will there be any defenders on the goal line, will the full backs stay near the touch line, will the goal keeper come for almost everything in the air in the 6 yard box, will there be a new captain (and I mean someone who plays a captains role not just goes up for the toss of the coin and chooses which direction we kick off). what players will be dropped if any.
I wasn't going to go as it's on tv and I'm really busy but having read what I just wrote I think I will

outspoken
26/08/2016, 12:18 PM
442. Get it forward, defend as a unit. That's Mathews way don't expect anything else. I'd take a respectable performance tonight. Beat bray next week and hope results go our way.

Darklordsbane
26/08/2016, 8:46 PM
I think the players that finished the game have to be the starting line up from now on except Skinner in goal and Davie somewhere

outspoken
26/08/2016, 8:52 PM
I think the players that finished the game have to be the starting line up from now on except Skinner in goal and Davie somewhere

Yeah I agree Coulter and Gannon were poison tonight

Darklordsbane
02/10/2016, 10:27 AM
If Alan Mathews is only there until the season is over, what would anyone think of Tommy Dunne coming in. He was in Galway after cousins and could end up here as well stranger things have happened

Keen2win
02/10/2016, 5:21 PM
I'd have him anyway

Longfordian
02/10/2016, 7:17 PM
Mathews took the job on the basis that he'll be in charge next year.

outspoken
03/10/2016, 1:41 AM
Tommy Dunne is a spoofer just like Tony cousins was....Easy to tell they are related. Sacked out of his last two jobs. No thank you. Mathews hasn't signed anything for next season. Wouldn't rule out another approach for Croly.

Longfordian
03/10/2016, 6:51 AM
He may not have signed anything but he's been approaching players about next year since he took over so I'll be surprised if he's not in charge next year one way or another.

Darklordsbane
05/10/2016, 9:00 PM
Any thought on Roddy

Longfordian
05/10/2016, 9:04 PM
I'm sure some of the walls could use a bit of plaster. Other than that, no.

outspoken
06/10/2016, 9:38 PM
any thought on roddy

delete