PDA

View Full Version : League defeated over window

dr_peepee
28/01/2005, 8:01 PM
I have to admit that I think this is a good thing. It restricts to some extent the benifits of the clubs with cash and brings the management/coaching skills and youth development back to the fore. It makes it more about football basically.

pineapple stu
29/01/2005, 12:04 AM
Have to agree alright. But what's with the "defeated" tag? Was there a legal appeal?

Closed Account 2
29/01/2005, 12:49 AM
I think they asked Fifa for a long term exemption due to the financial difficulties many clubs are experiencing. Fifa gave agreed to short term exemption but now that will end.

Its bad news for some clubs, especially ones which are touch and go as to if they'll go into administration. For instance if a club (eg Forest) look like going under between Feb and May, they wouldnt be able to sell top players to get cash (eg Reid, Dawson) and so would go into administration and face the 10 point deduction. This could relegate most teams in the bottom half of the Championship/League.

Also for clubs who've had to have small squads (due to lack of funds) its bad news. For instance at Tranmere we lost our two goalies (Achterberg and Haworth) to injury in the one match (away at Hull) a couple of weeks ago. Luckily the latter recovered within a week, but if it had happend in Feb and both had had bad injuries then it would have been season over.

pineapple stu
29/01/2005, 10:34 PM
Ahhh! For some reason (quite possibly alcohol! :) ), I assumed this was about the eL. All makes sense now!