13/8 Glentoran
2/1 Longford

Group 2

10/11 Shelbourne
15/8 Cork City
3/1 Portadown

drinkfeckarse
28/01/2005, 3:53 PM
I think the Northern Irish teams have a better chance to be honest. Not because I think they are better teams (haven't seen any of them play so can't assume), but purely because they will be in the middle of their season.

The reason EL clubs did as well in Europe last season IMO was helped a lot by the fact they were well into their season and the other teams were not. Match fitness counts for a lot and I think this will be a big factor.

fosterdollar
28/01/2005, 4:13 PM
A guy in work lives with Deano and reckons the lads have had their mind on the SC for a while now and preparing physically for it also. Town for the Setanta Cup. 10/1 odds a while ago to ensure free drinks celebration on May 21st!!!

Martinho II
28/01/2005, 4:13 PM
i cant believe that the odds have shortened on us to win. and us on better odds than portadown. NOW THAT IS A SURPRISE! :eek:

Troy.McClure
28/01/2005, 4:15 PM
Why have Ports the longest odds when they are on top of their league? They're a better bet than Longford anyway, but I guess we'll have to see in the end.

Schumi
28/01/2005, 4:20 PM
Why have Ports the longest odds when they are on top of their league? They're a better bet than Longford anyway, but I guess we'll have to see in the end.
They'd be viewed as having a harder group with the two favourites: Shels and Cork. They're only two points ahead having played an extra game too so maybe the bookies expect Glentoran and Linfield to win their games in hand!

Troy.McClure
28/01/2005, 6:23 PM
They'd be viewed as having a harder group with the two favourites: Shels and Cork. They're only two points ahead having played an extra game too so maybe the bookies expect Glentoran and Linfield to win their games in hand!

Ya but they will be fitter as our lads will just be back from preseason

pineapple stu
28/01/2005, 7:51 PM
I think the Northern Irish teams have a better chance to be honest. Not because I think they are better teams (haven't seen any of them play so can't assume), but purely because they will be in the middle of their season.

The reason EL clubs did as well in Europe last season IMO was helped a lot by the fact they were well into their season and the other teams were not. Match fitness counts for a lot and I think this will be a big factor.
Don't the group stages run from March to May? The eL clubs will be well into their stride by game 2.

CollegeTillIDie
28/01/2005, 8:49 PM
Don't the group stages run from March to May? The eL clubs will be well into their stride by game 2.

The first Setanta Cup Group game is on March 15th, our season only starts the following weekend.

pineapple stu
29/01/2005, 12:06 AM
The first Setanta Cup Group game is on March 15th, our season only starts the following weekend.
Well. that's why I said from round 2... ;) Second games are played on 4th April; group stages finish in mid-May, by which time, theeL would be in full flight and when the league started the season would mean nothing.

Xlex
29/01/2005, 10:14 AM
Well Matthews was delighted with the draw but he had hoped to open our draw would have meant starting in the second series and rightly so.