PDA

View Full Version : Limerick Premier Division 2016/17

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

AlanOB
12/08/2016, 5:41 PM
LDL Premier Division: 2016/17 Season Preview (https://limerickdl.wordpress.com/2016/08/12/ldl-premier-division-201617-season-preview/)

In tandem with the publication of my preview of the 2016/17 Premier Division season, I'm delighted to announce that I will be working with the Limerick Leader throughout the coming season; penning a weekly column on the junior soccer scene, to appear every Wednesday from August 24. The same newspaper will also carry the soon-to-return Limerick Soccer Podcast on a trial basis from September.

Treaty Gooner
12/08/2016, 10:46 PM
Taken down from FB Alan? No holds barred my arse!

AlanOB
12/08/2016, 10:58 PM
No Holds Barred (unless it's one of my buddies in the hold, in which case you're banned).

Incredibly negative reaction to the piece from more than one source to be fair. You read it; what did you think?

Treaty Gooner
12/08/2016, 11:19 PM
Thought it went a bit far to be honest. Report the facts Jack, just the facts.

AlanOB
12/08/2016, 11:22 PM
I would counter that nothing in the article is unsourced or untrue, to the best of my knowledge.

What exactly spurred you to feel that it "went a bit far"?

Treaty Gooner
12/08/2016, 11:25 PM
It got personal. Even the post accompanying the link read like a man with an axe to grind.

AlanOB
12/08/2016, 11:37 PM
One's personality is a vital determinant of whether or not one can manage people, is it not? Remember, I'm not a news desk journalist; I will write, and have always written, opinion pieces. Sticking to the facts or raw data is not conducive to doing that kind of job properly.

If I'm going to judge the likelihood of someone being a success at the helm of the club, I'm not inclined to ignore that as a factor. Obviously my own dealings with people are going to be an input to my analysis of their chances or performance to date.

Having said that, regardless of whether someone added to my axe-grinding queue, I'd be the first to hail their positive achievements if and when they arrive. Indeed, if you look hard enough in the offending sections of the piece, you might see that already in train.

Treaty Gooner
12/08/2016, 11:39 PM
Right so

AlanOB
12/08/2016, 11:40 PM
Appreciate the discussion.

pearse4t3
13/08/2016, 5:19 AM
If the Carew Park statement is correct, and I have no reason to think that it isn't, then any reporter/journalist contacting a club and telling/recommending them on their own club decisions is crass to say the least. Objectiveness is key in reporting and in contacting Carew Park it shows either a biase towards them and/or a personal grudge against their choice of manager, also mentioning that said person wasn't first choice brought nothing to the above "preview" just exposes the authors prejudice.

Jofspring
13/08/2016, 8:45 AM
Ya I understand your pieces are opinion based Alan but they still need to be based around facts and should never become personal vendettas. It's pretty clear to see through your reports who you have a distaste for. Two managers seem to get the brunt of it.

Surely when writing an article/opinion piece it needs to be based around the truth rather than a he said she said type of sourcing? Its not the first time either that you have written an article filled with "from what I'm told" or "my sources have said", only to be called out on it as complete fabrication. All rumours and sources should have some supporting evidence, especially if you are going to start writing for the newspaper.

AlanOB
13/08/2016, 9:57 AM
Nothing in that preview article is fabrication, let alone "complete fabrication". I take huge issue with that accusation. I also take issue with the claim that this is "not the first time" I've been called out for telling outright lies; feel free to let me know when that happened.

Again, my opinion piece, as always, is based around the truth. I repeat; nothing in there is unsourced or untrue, to the best of my knowledge. In fact, everything factual about Carew Park was sourced from people high up in the club; that they now don't like seeing it in print is not my problem. Most of their statement is outright nonsense and I will speak to it further in my next podcast; including the line about contacting the club, which does have an element of truth to it.

As for "supporting evidence", do you understand how journalism of this nature usually works? We are not usually in the habit of betraying our sources!

As for "prejudices" or "vendettas", of which you both speak, I repeat - my opinions of a man's ability to manage people are going to be influenced by my personal dealings with them, and I refuse to shy away from that. Reading what I wrote back, while it is of course close to the bone, the reaction to it is way overblown, and probably more attributable to people's distaste for me and/or their love for those that I have not rated highly.

No matter what I feel about the people involved, I will always hail their achievements if and when they arrive, and have done so in the past. In that sense, I'm as objective as a journalist can be expected to be.

Treaty Gooner
13/08/2016, 10:25 AM
As for "prejudices" or "vendettas", of my opinions of a man's ability to manage people are going to be influenced by my personal dealings.

Thereins the rub I'm afraid

AlanOB
13/08/2016, 10:37 AM
I should add, it's not like my opinion is unique either! If I've lined up to question one's ability to control a dressing-room, or another's closeness to his players, I would be nowhere near the front of either queue. Those in that queue have also formed their opinions based on their experiences of the individual(s) in question.

I could have hid the fact that I share both viewpoints, but I'm not about to assist in rubbing either well-massaged ego. I've never held back since I started on this journey, and I'm not about to start now.

If people want to swerve my output, and check out something less honest, that's their prerogative and I totally respect it.

pearse4t3
13/08/2016, 12:33 PM
"As for "supporting evidence", do you understand how journalism of this nature usually works? We are not usually in the habit of betraying our sources!"

Are you a member of the NUJ?, if not you are certainly not a journalist. You do reports on Junior Football games, let's get real. If that was the case everybody who writes something on social media can claim to be a journalist.

AlanOB
13/08/2016, 1:49 PM
Now someone is in need of checking their facts.

I'm an FAI-accredited professional, who also writes about the LOI and the Irish national team for Goal Ireland. I also perform editorial functions for the same website.

Union membership has precisely zero to do with anything.

Finally, while I post links to my work on social media, the articles are published on my website, that I work hard to maintain.

Jofspring
13/08/2016, 3:57 PM
To be honest Alan I have better things to do than traipse through old Facebook posts to find where your misinformation was pointed out over the last few years, just off the top of my head one was about a certain player "going awol", not being available for a game and that you had it from good sources and it turned out to be rubbish.

The bottom line for me is I went to read your article with an open mind and was looking forward to a preview of the season ahead but after a few paragraphs it was clear to see it was not at all objective with certainly opinions of people outside of football influencing the article. I wanted to read a football piece but it was reason more like something from the News of the World.

If you want to continue to allow personal feelings influence your reporting on games and previews then that's your business but just don't be surprised if people get frustrated or call you out on things they feel you have mis-reported.

AlanOB
13/08/2016, 4:51 PM
On AWOL-gate, my sources (two) were technically incorrect, but the spirit of what they told me was spot on; unfortunately both weren't aware that the player in question rang his manager a couple of hours before kick-off, despite promising only the previous night to be present. Although that to me is AWOL by any other name, I stepped down on that occasion and retracted it, yes.

Again, I will try to drill home - opinion pieces are not objective by their very nature. If I have (good) reason to believe that an individual's personality is mismatched with the job he's taken, that's the place for me to express it. Match reports or news pieces, on the other hand, are different affairs, which renders your line about allowing "my personal feelings to influence...reporting on games" nonsense; I don't do that and won't do that.

You're a staunch Limerick fan, a body of people that has been "carefully cultivated" by a certain individual. I doubt you've noticed the rampant outright bias in the coverage of your beloved club elsewhere; unless you're willing to tell me otherwise?

I'm not surprised in the slightest that you didn't like what you read. Not in the slightest.

Treaty Gooner
13/08/2016, 8:15 PM
Alright, alright, keep writing the way you do, keep ****ing people off and getting abused. It's junior soccer, we all have work in the morning.

AlanOB
13/08/2016, 9:39 PM
Fair enough!

Whatever your view, being banned from the Facebook page is ludicrous, given what others have gotten away with over the years. Indeed, the levels of abuse I've been subjected to have been outrageous at times; usually by the same lowlife too.

Who apparently is now making thinly veiled threats from what I'm told; doubt anything will be done about that either.

Hilarious hypocrisy.

Treaty Gooner
13/08/2016, 10:11 PM
Ok all that aside... How's the season shaping up? We've seen all the transfers in Alan's preview, anyone else on the move? Who's likely to win the league?

Fairkop
13/08/2016, 10:40 PM
Having read said article and enjoyed AOB,s reports and observations on the games locally i must admit i am very disappointed in it.........you did not throw enough bombs AOB..haha.but whats this people getting upset at a opinionated sourced preview of the coming season?one of the ..allegedly personalized persons in the article is well able to dish out personal stuff...just ask one of Limerick fc,s centre half from last season.its all part of the game get on with it.

AlanOB
13/08/2016, 11:23 PM
As always Fairkop, you get it.

Unfortunately poor Patrick Kanyuka wasn't a member of the Limerick Soccer Mutual Appreciation Society. His former manager, who moonlights in Twitter profile pictures from time to time, must be though.

faceoff
14/08/2016, 7:28 AM
Its looks like you really burnt your bridges this time AOB.Your out of your league with the lads that you have upset this time.And for you to ring a club who were probably your only real true friends and supporters and try tell them how to do their business was so unprofessional from a self confessed professional.Dont think the leader will be too happy either with your conduct.Maybe your article on Weds nights may not appear after all.Your days in Junior Football in Limerick may be numbered.Be no loss either.

AlanOB
14/08/2016, 10:02 AM
In what way am I "out of (my) league" with the lads I've upset, can you tell me?

I'm very interested to hear more on that.

old git
14/08/2016, 7:15 PM
I would counter that nothing in the article is unsourced or untrue, to the best of my knowledge.

What exactly spurred you to feel that it "went a bit far"?

Alan
Janesboro recent signing Mulready signed from Bridge utd not Bridge celtic ..Two different clubs in Clare :ball:

faceoff
14/08/2016, 8:09 PM
I'm sure you will soon find out.Your sources may be of help to you,thats if you have any left.Your ego has taken a battering from whom you least expected.Your far from a football journalist just a bitter man who likes to have a go at proper football people to get a few likes.Sad really to be honest.

AlanOB
14/08/2016, 10:36 PM
Alan
Janesboro recent signing Mulready signed from Bridge utd not Bridge celtic ..Two different clubs in Clare :ball:

Thanks; slip of the pen.

AlanOB
14/08/2016, 11:04 PM
I'm sure you will soon find out.Your sources may be of help to you,thats if you have any left.Your ego has taken a battering from whom you least expected.Your far from a football journalist just a bitter man who likes to have a go at proper football people to get a few likes.Sad really to be honest.

Yeah the censors with the thin skin are throwing a lot of threats around through third parties like yourself, alright.

And here was I thinking they couldn't come off any worse.

Sad.

"Proper football people" - what a joke.

hotspur
14/08/2016, 11:13 PM
Havent been here in a long time and dont do the Facebook thingy but a mate showed me comments that were made on your article.And i have to say i agree with most of them.If its true you rang Carew Park to discredit their new manager and gave them other options then you have some neck.

AlanOB
14/08/2016, 11:30 PM
Of course you agree with them.

I remember you well...

AlanOB
15/08/2016, 9:36 AM
Limerick Soccer Podcast, Ep. 8 feat. Leonard Earls (https://soundcloud.com/alan-obrien-9/limerick-soccer-podcast-ep-8-feat-leonard-earls)

Feel free to listen and share liberally, especially if censorship is something you're not really that big a fan of. So-called "proper football people", with the thinnest of skins, need not apply...

faceoff
15/08/2016, 10:28 AM
Yeah the censors with the thin skin are throwing a lot of threats around through third parties like yourself, alright.

And here was I thinking they couldn't come off any worse.

Sad.

"Proper football people" - what a joke.

Threats??Are you delusional or just pure paranoid.Where is their a threat on any comment i made??Your the only joke pal.

pearse4t3
15/08/2016, 10:33 AM
"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!"

superblues37
15/08/2016, 2:32 PM
the only thing that's sad is a 'journalist' criticising a club for not listening to his advice on who should manage THEIR team. talk about believing your own hype..... also the talk around town is that your're well able to give out a threat or two yourself to certain individuals who have gained respect that you will never achieve. at the end of the day who do you think you are going around saying people's jobs are on the line before a ball is kicked...

Shuffleruns
15/08/2016, 4:08 PM
AOB = legend

top class: https://soundcloud.com/alan-obrien-9/tracks

Fairkop
15/08/2016, 4:52 PM
AND........the dead arose and appeared onto many.....HOTSPUR ....where have you been,fai,s ,mjc,leagues and lawsons have been lost or not won[well maybe an odd one] ,your self confessed messiah lost the OT...etc,etc...not a dicky bird and now you once again grace us with your presence and cap it all with the line....:a mate showed me and IF its true.omg jesus wept.........

AlanOB
16/08/2016, 12:25 AM
Amazing scenes on the No Holds Barred forum again tonight, as the admin John Ryan conveniently deletes everything on this controversy mere minutes after my response (through a third party) to his buddy's butter-wouldn't-melt version of events, in which Mr. Aherne claimed that he simply passed on my details to his boss as promised. Here is my response again, in the interest of both free speech and the truth:

"I was surprised to see a missed call and voicemail from Live95FM's Liam Aherne on my phone when I returned home this evening, having never heard from him before. What could he possibly want from me? Now, having seen Michael Aherne's very skilful twisting of events posted on this very forum, it all makes perfect sense. Liam was of course calling me to corroborate the very same story that Michael has just spun.

The timing cannot be a coincidence; as Mike says a year has passed since we last spoke. Isn't it amazing that this version of events has only surfaced now, and that Mike's boss, to whom he is close, has called me on the exact same day to back it up?

As I explain at the end of my most recent podcast, Mike told me that HE would ring me back about the opportunity that HE pushed me towards. When I asked for Liam's number to speak to him directly, he discouraged me from doing so, stating that it wasn't necessary (that's where my own naivety comes into play). He would get back to me about it; he never did.

Months later, I finally met him in person at Regional United's ground and he couldn't get past me quick enough. The discomfort on his face spoke volumes. At that point I had told no-one of our dealings. But now I had the measure of the man, and I subsequently wasn't shy about sharing it.

Mike talks about this being the first issue with him that has ever "surfaced" in 20 years of covering football. I'm sure most of you will agree, but I know that there are others out there who don't. Beware a wolf in sheep's clothing."

The calculated nature of this campaign against me, including coordinating tonight's phony response with his boss, pressuring Carew into making an ill-advised statement against me, setting his attack dogs in the media and among the Limerick support after me, and shutting down my way of communicating to the junior soccer community at large - all while he polishes his halo "above the fray" - is utterly sickening.

Unfortunately for him, I ain't giving up anytime soon. I never do.

hotspur
16/08/2016, 2:58 AM
Ya said i pay an aul visit fairkop to see the aul tripe yourself and your auld pal is spouting.nothing changes here.nice to see yere still around thougj.and as i sad about you AOB you have some neck and nerve.must set up a few accounts so they can read your tripe.oops havent you DC's column on weds now.silly me.YOUR FINISHED.

hotspur
16/08/2016, 3:38 AM
AND........the dead arose and appeared onto many.....HOTSPUR ....where have you been,fai,s ,mjc,leagues and lawsons have been lost or not won[well maybe an odd one] ,your self confessed messiah lost the OT...etc,etc...not a dicky bird and now you once again grace us with your presence and cap it all with the line....:a mate showed me and IF its true.omg jesus wept.........

Have we the same fella?If its who im thinking about im almost certain he has bags of fai's and MJ and Lawsons.You lost a few OT's yourseld didnt you??or maybe im mistaken.

Kennycon
16/08/2016, 6:19 AM
Sad to see what way local soccer has come too, A.O.B I used too think you were a breath of fresh air to local soccer but last year your standard dropped with some reports on matches and players going awol making untrue statements like that takes away your credibility as a local reporter. Pat sheehan for me has giving he's life time to local soccer and brings people together true soccer in a positive way , he reports on all games in all divisions and reports what he sees. I have never read an article from pat where he got personal with any club or individual.

faceoff
16/08/2016, 6:53 AM
And he was right to delete the comments it's junior soccer at the end of the day smart and personal comments are gonna get people no were on that page full stop , stick to the soccer in full and not your personal dealings with others

faceoff
16/08/2016, 6:57 AM
And he was right to delete the comments it's junior soccer at the end of the day smart and personal comments are gonna get people no were on that page full stop , stick to the soccer in full and not your personal dealings with others
And again there you go by quoting the admins name on a public site which I'm sure he won't take fond too either act your age

harpin
16/08/2016, 7:50 AM
So Paul Neville, Pat Sheehan, Mike Aherne, Paul O Donnell....who's next

hotspur
16/08/2016, 8:49 AM
The heat is on.This fella has no boundries.Digging his own grave slowly but surely.

Treaty Gooner
16/08/2016, 9:51 AM
Can we get on with the football please

the 12 th man
16/08/2016, 10:10 AM
Lads,take this little skirmish to PM and get back to football talk,games etc and not a "he said-she said" free for all as it's out of hand now,we're into page 3 of it,I will take action if it doesn't.

AlanOB
16/08/2016, 10:49 AM
I've said all I need to say anyway. I'd appreciate it if you left up what's here however, as I've no other public platform available to give my side of the story.

I'll be back later with a Balla/Boro report.

AlanOB
16/08/2016, 8:36 PM
Ballynanty Rovers 1-3 Janesboro: ‘Boro hit the ground running (https://limerickdl.wordpress.com/2016/08/16/ballynanty-rovers-1-3-janesboro-boro-hit-the-ground-running/)https://limerickdl.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/ballaboro.jpg?w=600

deadly man
16/08/2016, 9:03 PM
Ballynanty Rovers 1-3 Janesboro: ‘Boro hit the ground running (https://limerickdl.wordpress.com/2016/08/16/ballynanty-rovers-1-3-janesboro-boro-hit-the-ground-running/)

https://limerickdl.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/ballaboro.jpg?w=600

Very enjoyable as always Alan,keep up the good work