PDA

View Full Version : Series 22

Pages : [1] 2

brendy_éire
05/08/2016, 6:19 PM
Enough of this European chat, but back to the league.

Premier Division
FRI: Bohemians - Finn Harps
FRI: Derry City - St. Patrick's Athletic
FRI: Galway United - Dundalk
FRI: Shamrock Rovers - Longford Town
FRI: Wexford Youths - Sligo Rovers
MON: Cork City - Sligo Rovers

irst Division
FRI: Cabinteely - Cobh Ramblers
FRI: Drogheda United - Limerick
FRI: Shelbourne - UCD
FRI: Waterford United - Athlone Town

----------------------

Hopefully a decent one in the Brandywell. A win for us would surely see off any Pats European ambitions. Would also put us in second, though Cork have games in hand.

nigel-harps1954
05/08/2016, 6:46 PM
http://firstrowir.eu/watch/454145/1/watch-bohemians-dublin-vs-finn-harps.html

Live stream from Dalymount Park

seand
05/08/2016, 7:53 PM
any live stream for Galway - Dundalk?

Longfordian
05/08/2016, 8:58 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures so...a (by all accounts) hard fought 2-1 defeat in Tallaght is better psychologically than a 5-0 home defeat to Sligo. If we don't win next week we're probably fooked though.

thomas72
05/08/2016, 9:00 PM
Drogheda 3 Limerick fc 3

Limerick were 3-1 down going into the last ten mins Aaron greene scored a 94th min leveller to keep Limerick's unbeaten season going

nigel-harps1954
05/08/2016, 9:03 PM
Brutal game in Dalymount. Harps have gone to sh!te.

CraftyToePoke
05/08/2016, 9:06 PM
Gwaaaaan Limerick :)

Five minutes into an initial three added on according to ET with an earlier Limerick goal smelling strongly of offside and Drogs almost making it 4-2 earlier in said injury time.

Some nights the dice just roll your way.

El-Pietro
05/08/2016, 9:12 PM
I was getting worried the past couple of weeks, Limerick were keeping clean sheets, my whole "one game a thing" was almost out the window, but fair play to Russell he knew what needed to be done and we're right back at that level now. 20 games, 20 goals.

In other news, get in there Galway! I always liked Tommy Dunne!

Lim till i die
05/08/2016, 9:28 PM
I was getting worried the past couple of weeks, Limerick were keeping clean sheets, my whole "one game a thing" was almost out the window, but fair play to Russell he knew what needed to be done and we're right back at that level now. 20 games, 20 goals.

In other news, get in there Galway! I always liked Tommy Dunne!

Un-Beat-Able.

MeathDrog
05/08/2016, 9:37 PM
That was a sickner tonight. A replica finish the same as the reverse fixture from Limerick. We were two goals up twice but the difference was the draw was probably fair tonight. In Limerick we deserved to win. Entertaining game again though.

Fairplay to the Limerick fans for sending over a decent crowd.

Yossarian
05/08/2016, 9:41 PM
On the road home from Galway and we were poor enough tonight. We looked tired at times but with the changes we should have done a lot better. Kilduff was anonymous up front and should have done much better with the free header towards the end. The small squad showed tonight.
That result will give Cork a good lift going into Monday's game now.

MeathDrog
05/08/2016, 9:44 PM
Gwaaaaan Limerick :)

Five minutes into an initial three added on according to ET with an earlier Limerick goal smelling strongly of offside and Drogs almost making it 4-2 earlier in said injury time.

Some nights the dice just roll your way.
Looked well offside and a definite foul a few seconds before it. Limerick did look threatening every time they attacked though.

gufc2000
05/08/2016, 10:33 PM
Was always going to be difficult for Dundalk coming down from the high of Tuesday night and abck to the normailty of the league with so much hype around at present. Some of them, unsurprisingly, were jaded after the midweek heroics so it was probably a decent time for us to play them.

We were well organised, superb cross from Walsh for Vinny's goal. Dundalk did have us under the cosh for the last 20 mins or so but Armin & Folan were resolute at the back. Think it was Kilduff that flashed a header just over near the finish.

Great crowd, felt like there was more than 2,500 and with the amount of big groups there, there probably was.

wonder88
05/08/2016, 10:42 PM
Great result in Terryland tonight, while Dundalk had most of the ball they did not create that many chances. Maybe Kenny made a mistake in not starting O Donnell and McMillan, could cost them at end of the season. It was nice to see a decent crowd in the ground, boasted by all the underage teams and of course the hype surrounding Dundalk this week, result might get a few of them back. Vinny getting another goal is another positive from the game.

outspoken
06/08/2016, 12:03 AM
Great first half from us against a ****€ rovers team. We didn't appear at all for the second half. Totally unacceptable. No passion, no fight, no nothing. We are as good as gone IMO.

osarusan
06/08/2016, 8:35 AM
A replica finish the same as the reverse fixture from Limerick. We were two goals up twice but the difference was the draw was probably fair tonight. In Limerick we deserved to win. Entertaining game again though.

I thought the opposite to be honest.

I thought we were fairly comfortable in Market's Field until we gifted you an equaliser, although were were obviously lucky to escape with a point in the end.

Last night were were really woeful for an hour at least, and you were comfortably the better team until about the 75th minute. We obviously pressed then and got the goals, but I wouldn't say we even deserved a point last night.

You've a pretty good team there, at least in what I've seen. You're the only teams that's pressed us high and tight up the pitch, and it's been very effective. I'm surprised you're not clear in 2nd place.

placid casual
06/08/2016, 9:35 AM
based on the evidence i saw last night, where Longford were by a considerable distance the worst team we've played all season, they will be relegated.
Hopefully TC can find a better gig for himself than that rubbish.

Rovers were open and naive at the back but the young lads enthusiasm seems to be rubbing off on the team, helped by a caretaker manager in Bradley who's not afraid to try something positive.
The vast bulk of Rovers fans know this and are happy to see what happens

We are nowhere near cork or dundalk but the relative weakness of the current league means we might sneak into Euope

pineapple stu
06/08/2016, 10:02 AM
You've a pretty good team there, at least in what I've seen. You're the only teams that's pressed us high and tight up the pitch, and it's been very effective. I'm surprised you're not clear in 2nd place.
I guess the main reason is that we've taken four points off them in two games - and a big meeting next week in the Bowl of course.

Take out our games with Limerick, and we've only lost twice all season (both times to Waterford, bizarrely)

Another solid if unspectacular win last night. A strange refereeing performance - first denying Shels a clear corner, after which we went up and won a free for what wasn't a foul, which the Shels keeper let through his hands, and then later on denying us a clear penalty - but we were generally the better team and deserved the win overall I thought.

An empty Tolka is a sad place to watch a game of ball though; so many ghosts of better days.

outspoken
06/08/2016, 10:37 AM
based on the evidence i saw last night, where Longford were by a considerable distance the worst team we've played all season, they will be relegated.

Rovers were open and naive at the back but the young lads enthusiasm seems to be rubbing off on the team, helped by a caretaker manager in Bradley who's not afraid to try something positive.

We are nowhere near cork or dundalk but the relative weakness of the current league means we might sneak into Euope

Mod edit: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9otJbXJyDQA/T3bCAuTi5NI/AAAAAAAAB2k/i8R_9KazbkU/s1600/calmdown.png

White Horse
06/08/2016, 12:00 PM
Galway were well up for the game and put in a great performance. They closed Dundalk down very effectively and ensured that Dundalk's possession was not converted into real goal scoring opportunities. Gary Shanahan, in particular, seemed to be tasked with man marking Daryl Horgan and I bet Horgan was sick of him by the end.

While Galway created very little themselves, only one goal is needed to win a game.

Tommy Dunne will be delighted with the application of his players and will demand that it is not just a one-off performance. Dundalk on the other hand looked a little tired but I would put the defeat down to Galway's excellent performance than Dundalk being poor.

MeathDrog
06/08/2016, 12:29 PM
I thought the opposite to be honest.

I thought we were fairly comfortable in Market's Field until we gifted you an equaliser, although were were obviously lucky to escape with a point in the end.

Last night were were really woeful for an hour at least, and you were comfortably the better team until about the 75th minute. We obviously pressed then and got the goals, but I wouldn't say we even deserved a point last night.

We seem to play better against the better standard teams in the league. We've been very good recently against Shels away and Limerick but absolutely muck against Athlone and Cabinteely, yet still won. Last night was the best we've played in a while. Enjoyable game of football all the same.

Martinho II
06/08/2016, 7:08 PM

tbh TC is yesterdays man and shouldnt manage any team imo.. he doesnt do anything to inspire me.

RathfarnhamHoop
07/08/2016, 12:57 PM
Great first half from us against a ****€ rovers team. We didn't appear at all for the second half. Totally unacceptable. No passion, no fight, no nothing. We are as good as gone IMO.

To say 'a ****€ rovers team' is a bit harsh. We were very open at the back but we played some of the best attacking football we've played all season, not hard but still, we were trying new things with corners and 3 at the back and stuff and the players seemed genuinely hungry for a change. The young lads and Bradley coming in have really had a good impact on the team and if we sorted out our defence a bit and got a really good experienced striker to help out the young lads a bit it would be a pretty decent young team.

outspoken
07/08/2016, 6:37 PM
To say 'a ****€ rovers team' is a bit harsh. We were very open at the back but we played some of the best attacking football we've played all season, not hard but still, we were trying new things with corners and 3 at the back and stuff and the players seemed genuinely hungry for a change. The young lads and Bradley coming in have really had a good impact on the team and if we sorted out our defence a bit and got a really good experienced striker to help out the young lads a bit it would be a pretty decent young team.

Put it this way, you are far far far better to watch without Fenlon. Ye tried to play from the back, even though you have a keeper who shats himself with the ball at his feet, and ye try to link it up on the edge of the box but yeve absolutely nothing up front. That results in ye playing lots of aimless hoofball and that doesn't work either. A top class striker needed at Tallaght

RathfarnhamHoop
07/08/2016, 8:06 PM
Put it this way, you are far far far better to watch without Fenlon. Ye tried to play from the back, even though you have a keeper who shats himself with the ball at his feet, and ye try to link it up on the edge of the box but yeve absolutely nothing up front. That results in ye playing lots of aimless hoofball and that doesn't work either. A top class striker needed at Tallaght

Yeah but what we do have is 3 really good young lads coming through so as you said one really good striker to take the weight off their shoulders for a bit would be perfect. Pats don't really want to keep Fagan do they? We'll take him off their hands for them ;)

patrickccfc
08/08/2016, 7:37 PM
Absolute rubbish from us in that first half 2 nil down.. first goal in particular was disgraceful from mcnulty. if we're going to overhaul dundalk, tonight needed to be a win, difficult to see that at this point

White Horse
08/08/2016, 7:44 PM
The first game after going out of Europe is always a tough one. Teams are often quite flat.

redarmyfaction
08/08/2016, 7:56 PM
We bounced back well at Wexford after a disappointing result in Longford, we are slowly creeping up the table after a poor start. Robbo worth his wages.

Lim till i die
08/08/2016, 8:46 PM
Corks seeming inability to score enough goals costing them there Bill. :good:

Yossarian
08/08/2016, 8:54 PM
That's a big loss for Cork. After our defeat and with the build up of games for us they should have capitalised. Still a long way to go obviously but these are the chances you need to take.

redarmyfaction
08/08/2016, 9:09 PM
Apparently they piled on the pressure on the second half but the goals wouldn't come, needed the peno to get the one.

White Horse
08/08/2016, 9:11 PM
Apparently they piled on the pressure on the second half but the goals wouldn't come, needed the peno to get the one.

Goals seem to be a problem for them. Maguire only seems to score penalties now.

Great result for Sligo, Robertson seems to know what he is doing.

patrickccfc
08/08/2016, 10:02 PM
Such a frustrating night that was. Two abysmal goals to give away. Sligo to be fair play some good stuff at times. How we didn't score 4 or 5 in the second half is beyond me really. Need to be converting those chances if we are to take the fight to dundalk.

Has a keeper ever received two yellows for time wasting? Schlingermann definitely made a case for it to happen tonight, he got one yellow alright. Us in the shed even counted out loud how many seconds he had the ball in his hand each time and it always got in to double figures.

Unfortunately won't be at the bohs game but we need to improve for that.

White Horse
08/08/2016, 10:07 PM

Two tough games coming up.

Is Caulfield giving Holohan a sniff these days? Cork often look very slow and pedestrian in midfield, they need someone who run from central positions.

Some of the criticism from Cork fans on social media is a bit over the top. Last week's defeat to Genk is not easy to get over.

I thought both Dundalk and Cork would struggle this weekend.

jinxy lilywhite
08/08/2016, 10:32 PM
Said it at the start of the season and it's corks league to lose. Even with us now having 5 extra european games.

Nesta99
09/08/2016, 12:27 AM
Said it at the start of the season and it's corks league to lose. Even with us now having 5 extra european games.

Considering the 2 wins over Dundalk so far this season it is Corks to lose or should be. The difference the last couple of years was Cork not taking points off us, this year they have done yet our points tally is ahead of last season at the same stage (I think). With the demands of Europe for Dundalk I would consider Cork as favourites for the league!

Charlie Darwin
09/08/2016, 3:08 AM
We tried to play from the back under Fenlon too. Problem was that was as far as we got before losing the ball.

pineapple stu
09/08/2016, 7:04 AM
Has a keeper ever received two yellows for time wasting?
When we played in Luxembourg last year, our keeper was booked for time wasting before the hour mark. Derek Swan was beside be and said something like "That's grand; keep doing it now. No referee will ever send you off for it"

If it didn't happen in that game, it never will

Nah Nah Nah Nah
09/08/2016, 7:58 AM
Considering the 2 wins over Dundalk so far this season it is Corks to lose or should be. The difference the last couple of years was Cork not taking points off us, this year they have done yet our points tally is ahead of last season at the same stage (I think). With the demands of Europe for Dundalk I would consider Cork as favourites for the league!

Course you would!

El-Pietro
09/08/2016, 9:09 AM
Such a frustrating night that was. Two abysmal goals to give away. Sligo to be fair play some good stuff at times. How we didn't score 4 or 5 in the second half is beyond me really. Need to be converting those chances if we are to take the fight to dundalk.

Has a keeper ever received two yellows for time wasting? Schlingermann definitely made a case for it to happen tonight, he got one yellow alright. Us in the shed even counted out loud how many seconds he had the ball in his hand each time and it always got in to double figures.

Except half the time he didn't have the ball in his hands, and when he did the counting was ridiculously fast.

redobit
09/08/2016, 9:30 AM
Except half the time he didn't have the ball in his hands, and when he did the counting was ridiculously fast.

1 Mississippi
2 Mississippi
3 Mississippi ... ....

oriel
09/08/2016, 9:48 AM
If Dundalk beat Bray tomorrow that will be 9 points clear albeit with 2 additional games played. The big match will be in oriel park in early sept v Cork, you would think Cork would need to win that one really.

If Dundalk win, it might mirror what Pats did in 2013, lost twice to Dundalk but won the crucial 3rd match and pushed on to win the league.

However there is no doubt the extra 8 European games will take their toll on Dundalk.

jinxy lilywhite
09/08/2016, 10:03 AM
If Dundalk beat Bray tomorrow that will be 9 points clear albeit with 2 additional games played. The big match will be in oriel park in early sept v Cork, you would think Cork would need to win that one really.

If Dundalk win, it might mirror what Pats did in 2013, lost twice to Dundalk but won the crucial 3rd match and pushed on to win the league.

However there is no doubt the extra 8 European games will take their toll on Dundalk.

It's really only 5. 3 of the euro games happen after the end of October

oriel
09/08/2016, 10:58 AM
If its the EL group Dundalk will be in, the matches will be on 15/9, 29/9, 20/10, then after the league finishes on 3/11, 24/11 and 8/12. Then add the two games v Legia this month, so 5 of the 8 will be played before the league season finishes, still a big ask.

placid casual
09/08/2016, 6:52 PM
You seem determined to engineer some sort of difficulty for Dundalk that simply does not exist? why? it comes across as an amauter attempt to play down the teams chances, if you dont mind me saying.

do you not have any faith that your club will stroll the league?- i'd wager that if you asked anyone on here you'd get 90-95% of people confident that Dundalk will win the league with ease, in 2nd gear.

Philosophizer
10/08/2016, 8:59 AM
i'd wager that if you asked anyone on here you'd get 90-95% of people confident that Dundalk will win the league with ease, in 2nd gear.

I don't agree with that at all. If Dundalk do win the league it certainly won't be "with ease". Imho it's 50:50 between them and Cork.

El-Pietro
10/08/2016, 9:03 AM
I'd say its 55:45 in Dundalks favour, they have the edge but if they slip up we will be right there hoping to take advantag

White Horse
10/08/2016, 10:03 AM
Cork should stroll to the title. They've taken six points off Dundalk already and don't have the distraction of an additional eight European games.

If Cork don't win it this year, they may as well start playing hurling.

oriel
10/08/2016, 12:05 PM
You seem determined to engineer some sort of difficulty for Dundalk that simply does not exist? why? it comes across as an amauter attempt to play down the teams chances, if you dont mind me saying.

do you not have any faith that your club will stroll the league?- i'd wager that if you asked anyone on here you'd get 90-95% of people confident that Dundalk will win the league with ease, in 2nd gear.

I'm not saying Dundalk will not win the league, for the record I think we will, I'm just making the point with having an additional 8 more games than Cork, all in Europe and 5 before the league ends, that it's still going to take a huge effort to win it even with the lead we have built up.

Then again only the 2015 title win was won by a canter, the 2014 one was obviously much closer and who knows, if Dundalk suffer injuries or loss of form, possibly due to Europe, this years title race might go down to the last two weeks, we are definitely favourites though.

patrickccfc
10/08/2016, 8:56 PM
Christ, another slip up from dundalk tonight. Would be criminal if we pass another opportunity to close the gap again.