PDA

View Full Version : Where is Phil Babb?

Shelsman
27/01/2005, 1:04 PM
Anyone know if he is still playing?

drummerboy
27/01/2005, 1:05 PM
Think he has retired after being let go by Sunderland.

Slash/ED
27/01/2005, 1:06 PM
A sad loss to the team. Nobody can finish from 20 yards on his chest, or hit a crossbar with such style (or a post for that matter :eek: ) as Babb could.

gustavo
27/01/2005, 1:07 PM
will any one elses abiding memory of phil babb be of him and his groin sliding into a goalpost at anfield at high speed ?

Peadar
27/01/2005, 1:11 PM
will any one elses abiding memory of phil babb be of him and his groin sliding into a goalpost at anfield at high speed ?

Even recalling that mentally makes me wince! :(

I'll always remember him for Harcourt St.

Slash/ED
27/01/2005, 1:13 PM
I'll remember him for the immortal George Hamilton pun, "It's gone from Babb to worse". I forget which game it was now though, but I feel it perfectly summed up his career.

Aldini98
27/01/2005, 1:22 PM
Babb was a disgrace to the professional game. He should not be mentioned again.

Even when he was good he was Babb.

drinkfeckarse
27/01/2005, 1:26 PM
Babb was a disgrace to the professional game. He should not be mentioned again.

Even when he was good he was Babb.

A bit strong like :eek:

Bluebeard
27/01/2005, 1:27 PM
Knock not Phil Babb - Ireland's answer to Luther Blissett :D :D

Donal81
27/01/2005, 1:55 PM
How did the chap get so unpopular? And so terrible?

eirebhoy
27/01/2005, 2:58 PM
He got foreign player of the year in Portugal a couple of years ago. Not bad for a country with so many Brazilian's, etc.

lopez
27/01/2005, 3:25 PM
He was called Phil 'Beb' during his spell in Lisbon, the beb coming from beber which is Portuguese for 'to drink'. Taxi man told me this one night after passing a disco he used to frequent.

Eire06
27/01/2005, 3:35 PM
How did the chap get so unpopular? And so terrible?

I know he was a hero in 94 with the 3 Amigos Babb, kelly and Macca....

Green Tribe
27/01/2005, 4:21 PM
Ah, but i am sure the rest of the ladies(especially me) and maybe a few nancy boys thought he was easy on the eye, aye! :D i miss him to look at, but i too thought was good in 94 :ball:

Slash/ED
27/01/2005, 5:45 PM
He got foreign player of the year in Portugal a couple of years ago. Not bad for a country with so many Brazilian's, etc.

He was foreign defender of the year rather than foreigner of the year iirc. Still, not bad for Babb.

Kingdom
27/01/2005, 6:23 PM
I'll always remember him for the game against Czech Republic ( the one where Paul Butler made his debut and was taken off at half time) which in the 90th min we were drawing 2-2 . Up pops Babb in the box and tries a spectacular overhead which went just over but we won a corner nonetheless. We were still ****ing ourselves as Robbie Keane scored the winner from the resulting corner.

Magic.

eirebhoy
27/01/2005, 6:53 PM
He was foreign defender of the year rather than foreigner of the year iirc. Still, not bad for Babb.
I just searched to see if I could find anything and I actually found a post by you on another forum. :)

Leto, Babb got foreign player of the year in Portugal and won the league but didn't get a friendly cap, now personally I'm hardly upset over this but Mick seemed to take little notice.
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:gZazIiqxYd0J:www.metrofan.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D3696+%22foreign+player+of+the +year%22+babb&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Slash/ED
27/01/2005, 6:55 PM
Ha, good find :D Must be the memory playing tricks on me, I was convinced he got some defender specific award but obviously not. That is impressive alright.

IsMiseSean
27/01/2005, 9:48 PM
Hadn't he the chance to play for England when he was with Coventry, but he choose Ireland :o

Cowboy
27/01/2005, 11:02 PM
Hadn't he the chance to play for England when he was with Coventry, but he choose Ireland :o

I read in a programme once that he made an entry in his diary at age 16 that he wanted to play for Ireland, anyone else remember this

davey
28/01/2005, 10:16 AM
Not sure where it came from but the "from Babb to worse" should have come from Moscow 2002. Why Mick picked him (Mmm, maybe he came on as sub :confused: ) I'll never know. Thats it, even Micks resignation was Babbs fault!
He had some qualities but generally ****e

Troy.McClure
28/01/2005, 11:10 AM

I have that on DVD. Its probably one of the most painful things possible :o

Stuttgart88
28/01/2005, 11:16 AM
I think Babb came on as a sub in Moscow, so we could play 3 CBs and move the two full-backs firther forward.

His first touch was an OG past Shay, though it was a bit unlucky.

It's harsh to single him out because Finnan, Breen & Cunningham all made key errors. Even Shay had a poor enough game.

I still think it could all have been different if Harte's shot hadn't hit the post and if Duffer didn't go off so early. :mad:

Slash/ED
28/01/2005, 12:10 PM
I still think it could all have been different if Harte's shot hadn't hit the post

I don't even remember that happening, was it a free kick? :confused:

Duff going off hurt us but he was being wasted up front as usual anyway so Morrison was probably a more effective front man, and did go on to score.

Stuttgart88
28/01/2005, 12:38 PM
Early on Harte (or was it Duff) had a shot that was deflected. It looped up and hit the angle of bar & post I think. It's a while back now.

fergalr
28/01/2005, 12:40 PM
I read in a programme once that he made an entry in his diary at age 16 that he wanted to play for Ireland, anyone else remember this
Yeah - as I recall he was interviewed in the match program when he was at Millwall as a 16 year old. He said his mother was from Carlow and he wanted to play for Ireland.

To be fair his career was on an upward track when he was at Coventry and broke into our team just at the right moment for the 94 WC when he replaced the harshly treated Alan Kernaghen (flames? - bring em on!).

Joining Lpool at the height of spice boy era was his undoing and it was all downhill from there.

His place in the history of Irish football has to be given for the car bouncing incident on Harcourt St. To do something so ****tish in full view of the owner of the car (who happened to be a ban-garda) kinda sums up the guy.

Shelsman
28/01/2005, 4:33 PM
I think there is a habit in Ireland of singling out not-so-good players:

Babb, Kernaghan, McGoldrick etc.

I think the criticism of these guys is a bit unfair in that they nearly always tried their best and it's not as if every game they played for Ireland was brutal. They may not have been the best players but they may have been the best we had at the time, so why does everyone get on their case?

I know Babb was stupid in his Starsky and Hutch moment but most of us have done silly things when we were drunk too!

F.