PDA

View Full Version : Our Squad

thecorner
26/01/2005, 9:13 PM
anyone starting to think yet that with no new signings yet its gonna be a battle for 2nd place with shels taking the title?

Gary
26/01/2005, 9:20 PM
No, I think the City squad is strong enough is all departments to make serious challenge again.

Dolans forays into the tranfer market havent exactly reaped massive rewards, witht he exception of Kearney, Doyle, Gamble and Murphy, though it has to be said that Gamble probably would have returned to City no matter who the manager, and Murphy found City rather than vice versa.

Robbie Hedderman, Chidozie Yukoh, Ryan Casey, Andy Packer, Willie Byrne, Brendan Sweeney (Though I/many thought he would would turn out to be a great signing) - all best forgotten. Michael Nwako has yet to prove himself. The amount of trialists that have come and gone is considerable also.

I suppose what I am trying to say, is that quality is better than quantity, and unless Dolan can find someone better than what City already have, why bother sign them?

thecorner
26/01/2005, 9:23 PM
No, I think the City squad is strong enough is all departments to make serious challenge again.

?

this wasnt the case last season and while shels have got stronger again, we have just stayed the same

Gary
26/01/2005, 9:29 PM
The City first 11 / squad 16 grew as the season went on. I doubt it was a coincidence that City really started playing as well as they did toward the end, and Gambles emergence at the same time.

Look at players like Doyle and Kearney - bother were on fire.

Georges partnership with Gamble started to blossom, and if they continue playing like that - God help the opposition.

Flynn and Dan Murray slowly but surely found form again.

Hoggy got ever more dependable.

I maintain that if the first team squad can stay injury free, there isnt much, if anything between City and Shels.

At the start of last season we saw what tinkering with the side did. City had a very poor start, because personnel changes were made in positions which were functioning perfectly as they were.

piratemousey
26/01/2005, 10:23 PM
thats all well and good but does dolan even USE the other players enough?

A face
26/01/2005, 11:20 PM
We do have the squad to win the title .... but everyone will agree if we do have a slump like we did post euro trips, we shouldnt win it or wouldn't deserve it anyway. The squad was brilliant on the final run last season, and i'd say they learnt alot (players getting to grips with our league)

thecorner
27/01/2005, 12:00 AM
my point being is that we came up short against shels last season. they have now gone and strenghtened their squad. we have done nothing with ours :eek: .

also we need to start beating shels for the first time in almost 3 seasons(opening day 2002)

just found breaking news here ;) (http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2002/07/05/story58544.asp)

drinkfeckarse
27/01/2005, 7:49 AM
anyone starting to think yet that with no new signings yet its gonna be a battle for 2nd place with shels taking the title?

What's the panic? Considering you started another thread about 50 days to go to the start of the league, then I think there's plenty of time for Dolan to add to the squad.

pete
31/01/2005, 9:11 AM
Our defense is good enough i suppose, plenty of fullbacks & probably ok at centre back if Derek returns.

Attack also good, Doyle a certain starter & IF O'Flynn could get close to his form from season before last would be formidable. Fenn capable first teamer & Behan, Nolan etc... good squad cover.

Midfield has to be the weak area as aside from 1st choice players little quality cover. From what I saw of Steve O'Flynn with u-21s last year he not good & Nwanko simply not good enough. I also don't trust Billy to be able to perform for whole season.

1 very good quality wide midfield player would suffice.