PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup games only available in Ireland

yur man
26/01/2005, 1:11 PM
i was just on the phone to setanta in dublin and theyve said they have no plans to show it abroad :(

damn it

drinkfeckarse
26/01/2005, 1:37 PM
That's a balls, thought I'd get it here in Scotland seeing as the pubs get the Setanta package free :(

dcfcsteve
26/01/2005, 2:20 PM
Get yourself an Irish Sky card. Simple answer

Slash/ED
26/01/2005, 2:27 PM
Get yourself an Irish Sky card. Simple answer

Yep or find an Irish pub with Sky Digital, chances are they'll have an Irish viewing card.

yur man
26/01/2005, 2:42 PM
i have ntl so the irish sky card option is out for me. ill have to find a pub showing it then

i live close to leicester, derby and nottingham so im sure ill find somewhere

dcfcsteve
26/01/2005, 2:49 PM
Not trying to be pessimistic, but I wouldn't be overly hopefuly about finding the happy coincidence of a) an English pub with an Irish Skycard (or at least one that openly admits it on the phone if you're ringing around), and b) one that is happy to show Irish club football of an evening.

Bin the NTL when your contracts up and get yourself Sky. Then you can watch all the televised Irish footie from the comfort of your own home. Delightful... :)

yur man
26/01/2005, 3:26 PM
if i was to get sky, how would i get an irish sky card

plus, as im moving back home in august, i wouldnt fulfill the usual 12 months subscription

ive never been tempted enough to get sky before now

mypost
27/01/2005, 2:24 AM
On NTL in Ireland, Setanta Sport is free with their basic channels. You only have to pay for it if you have Sky.

Macy
27/01/2005, 8:15 AM
if i was to get sky, how would i get an irish sky card

plus, as im moving back home in august, i wouldnt fulfill the usual 12 months subscription

ive never been tempted enough to get sky before now
Get an independant installer to set get you the set up (i.e. not one of the free but connect to a phone line offers), or get onto one of the sat forums and investigate how to do it yourself.

Then just use someone's irish address to get a "second hand" subscription (blocking your english number), then get the card sent over to you.

drinkfeckarse
27/01/2005, 8:42 AM
I know we've had this asked and answered before lads but can ye tell me the easiest way to go about getting an Irish card? I've already got Sky over here at the moment.

Was it something about telling them you're moving to Ireland but taking your Sky with you? I might do it if it's not too much hassle. Would I get RTE1 & 2 etc with an Irish viewing card?

Thanks.

Macy
27/01/2005, 8:56 AM
Was it something about telling them you're moving to Ireland but taking your Sky with you? I might do it if it's not too much hassle. Would I get RTE1 & 2 etc with an Irish viewing card?
You'd get RTE1&2, TV3 and TG4, but lose BBC3&4, News24, ITV1&2, CH4 and five. Saying your moving could be a way alright, or cancelling the UK Sub and then taking out an Irish Sub from an Irish address.

dcfcsteve
27/01/2005, 10:06 AM
You'd get RTE1&2, TV3 and TG4, but lose BBC3&4, News24, ITV1&2, CH4 and five. Saying your moving could be a way alright, or cancelling the UK Sub and then taking out an Irish Sub from an Irish address.

Say you've already moved, brought your box with you and plugged it into a dish that was already at your address. Everything's working fine, but you're still getting BBC London (or wherever) and no Irish channels. Eventually they'll realise you need a separate card for Ireland, cancel your UK one and set you up on a new contract at an Irish address. Pay by credit card. Takes a few weeks for the whole thing to get sorted (depending how fast you get the card sent over to you from Ireland).

You get all Irish channels except UTV.

drinkfeckarse
27/01/2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks lads, not sure if I could get away with though....the wife would have plenty to say about losing ITV and Channel 4 & 5 :o :o

I'd do it in a flash though, could just use me folks address. Would that bring any attention to them though?...they have some Sky package through Chorus I think.

Macy
27/01/2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks lads, not sure if I could get away with though....the wife would have plenty to say about losing ITV and Channel 4 & 5 :o :o

I'd do it in a flash though, could just use me folks address. Would that bring any attention to them though?...they have some Sky package through Chorus I think.
Option could be a nothern sky sub - think RTE are joining that soon, so you'd have RTE and the UK channels (BBC NI and UTV).

Slash/ED
27/01/2005, 12:14 PM

You can tune bbc3, 4, news24 and the rest of the BBCs (including every region of BBC1 and 2) into sky digital. You do use ITV1 and 2 though but keep ITV3, I think, and you definitely lose CH4 and CH5 but I think soon they'll be available to tune in useing the add channels thingy, not sure if that's true or not though

gspain
27/01/2005, 12:53 PM
Best UK option is get Sky installed for a one off £150.

http://www.freesatfromsky.com/

This gives you all the standard British channels BBC 1,2,3,4, ITV 1,2,3, Channel 4, Five etc etc

Then get an Irish sub from an Irish address. You then need to subscribe to Setanta Sports. Get your Irish card paired to your Sky box and swop cards when you need to watch ITV, Five etc. alternative is to get a 2nd box for the bedroom - British channels on 1 and main sub in the other room.

For Irish Sky subscribers you can get the card only for the British channels for £20 but you need a UK address that has a TV licence. You can then swop cards in your Sky box or get a 2nd box, twin lnb and cabling done. ITV2 and Five have good european football coverage.

This means you can dump NTHELL.

Slash/ED
27/01/2005, 12:56 PM
For Irish Sky subscribers you can get the card only for the British channels for £20 but you need a UK address that has a TV licence.

20 quid one off payment or 20 quid a month?

dcfcsteve
27/01/2005, 1:01 PM

DFA - they're terrestrial channels anyway !?! You just press the button on your remote control to change from Satelitte to TV and - hey presto : instant non-Sky UTV, CH4 and CH5. Geeeenius...... :D

Sky are always doing new-subscriber offers for packages (although they do tend to be event-driven, like the impending English football season etc). I got the full set-up for free on an offer last Summer...

Macy
27/01/2005, 1:14 PM
20 quid one off payment or 20 quid a month?
20 quid for 3 years.

gspain, there's an ofcom case pending which will ultimately decide whether ITV1 and 2 remain encrypted. If they go FTA then it's up to sky whether their on the epg or not. Don't know whether it's sky or the BBC that keep the digital channels off the Irish epg, but would imagine it's a pain in the arse (I only have a FTV card). Channel 4 are tied to sky till 2008, but interestingly they are making E4 a free to air on Digital Terrestrial (it was on Top Up), which is hopefully a sign of things to come (it'll depend on what ITV do).

drinkfeckarse
27/01/2005, 1:21 PM
DFA - they're terrestrial channels anyway !?! You just press the button on your remote control to change from Satelitte to TV and - hey presto : instant non-Sky UTV, CH4 and CH5. Geeeenius...... :D

Yeah I realised that about 2 minutes after I posted :D :o

yur man
27/01/2005, 2:28 PM
Best UK option is get Sky installed for a one off £150.

http://www.freesatfromsky.com/

looks interesting

Then get an Irish sub from an Irish address.

would i need to get a family member to set it up and send me the card or can i set one up from here in england. i dont have an irish bank account and imagine they would want paying by direct debit. how would i get around that?

This means you can dump NTHELL.

i thought i would need a bt line for it? if not, then i might go for it

thanks for all the info. i might get to see the games after all

dcfcsteve
27/01/2005, 2:47 PM
Yur Man,

If you do what I said in my previous post you'll be sorted. I've had Irish Sky in London for 2 years now.

Easiest way is for you to open a Sky subscription in England, then a short while later claimed you've moved back to Ireland with your system, saying what I said in previous note.

Setting it up from Ireland is a ball-ache way round - they'll physically nail it to a wall for you in Ireland, you'll then have to dismantle, transport and re-install the whole system to a wall yourself in England, or pay someone else to do it. Significant and unnecessary hassle. All you need is an Irish address for the Viewing Card to be sent to (and for the invoices moving forwards, but pay by credit card so they're just for information).

Just checked their web-site, and Sky have a FREE installation offer on at the moment in Britain.

It really could'nt be easier....

yur man
28/01/2005, 1:54 PM
thanks dcfcsteve,

i just asked my letting agency if i could get sky installed and its a no :( :mad:

dcfcsteve
28/01/2005, 7:35 PM
thanks dcfcsteve,

i just asked my letting agency if i could get sky installed and its a no :( :mad:

Ahh ! If you'd mentioned that earlier I'd have told you not to bother asking them and encouraged you to just go ahead and do it :) And I say that as a Landlord myself :D

yur man
29/01/2005, 11:06 AM
i would do that only for the nosey nanny brigade living in this flat complex

theyd be down on me with threats of a good tickin off over tea and biscuits as a satelltie dish would be sooo unsightly :eek:

sligoman
29/01/2005, 12:27 PM
Or you could book a cheap flight with easyjet to Cork or Belfast :D :D :D :D

Here's one from Gatwick to Cork:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/step1.asp